Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Can you see yourself content with 128gigs of space for the next 5 years? You can upgrade the hard drive on the MBP but not on the Air. Civ V will also run terrible on either machine.

Hmm thanks for the input. That upgrade is ridiculously expensive.

Too bad about Civ V. Oh well I have a playstation for gaming so it's not a dealbreaker or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
To be fair I'm pretty sure Civ V is awful on every mac pretty much isn't it?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Tonight I learned that my iMac G5 can do Home Sharing. I think I'm going to make it the server for my Apple TV.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Civ V is a Cider "port" so yeah it'll always run fairly bad.
I imagine it'd be playable on a top spec machine like an iMac with a 6970 or a Mac Pro with a 5870 but don't have any experience with it.

It's a terrible game of course so no loss there when we have a real OS X port of Civ 4.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes you can.
It's certainly not cheap but you can do it.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

This is good to know. I thought nothing could be changed on the Air. I think the Air would be perfect if they let you get 8gigs of RAM.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I noticed my 2010 13" trackpad has started having a little bit of play in it - I can press it down maybe half a mm before starting a click and it makes a pretty loud ticking noise. Is there any way to fix it? Well out of warranty. :(

Found a bunch of people with the issue but no fix so far:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2735020?start=0&tstart=0

Guess I can swap a new trackpad in it if there is no magical free fix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9liOWTjY2o

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 15, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Civ V is a Cider "port" so yeah it'll always run fairly bad.
I imagine it'd be playable on a top spec machine like an iMac with a 6970 or a Mac Pro with a 5870 but don't have any experience with it.

It's a terrible game of course so no loss there when we have a real OS X port of Civ 4.
I've had some good experiences with Wine. It depends on the app and in the case of the Cider ports, how much work is put into making sure it actually works.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I have yet to run into RAM issues with 4gb, things on OSX really aren't that memory hungry it seems.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Hope it is OK to ask this here, but I have a Macbook 13-inch from early 2008 that I never use. I had the memory upgraded to 4 GB when I bought it, but for the life of me cant remember how much I paid for it. A guy at work is looking to buy it now but I have no idea what would be a fair price. It has hardly been used and is in fine shape, other than the hinge clicking a little when the top opens and closes due to a kitten mishap.

I just dont want to either get ripped off, or charge the guy way too much for it. I was thinking maybe around $500. Again, sorry for the silly question. As per the suggestion in the OP, I did check Apple refurb and didn't see one listed, and the ones I found on eBay looked a little shady..

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I'm having weird issues with my 4th gen AirPort Extreme Base Station. Specifically, I'm having a hard time accessing my FTP reliably. It will connect just fine sometimes but usally it doesn't. Sometimes it'll connect but be unable to list the directories. The only change in my setup has been the AEBS. It worked beautifully before with my Linksys router.

What's even more strange is I can connect/reconnect no problem with AirVideo Server and stream video all day with zero issues.

What's the best client to put the NAT default host on? I currently have it set to my Win7 comp which hosts my vpn and ftp.
Do I even need to set a default host for NAT to be enabled?

I've got all the external ports fowarding to the internal ports of the win7 pc, so why its not working is beyond me.

edit: I apologize, this is something probably more suited for the tech support forum.

To follow up, the problem ended up being something on my ftp-very humbling!

decypher fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 16, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What? That makes no sense. DisplayPort has no issue driving that resolution.

It's DVI That's the problem, not DisplayPort

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

It's DVI That's the problem, not DisplayPort
Correct; hence my confusion at his post because it was wrong.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bobby Digital posted:

Tonight I learned that my iMac G5 can do Home Sharing. I think I'm going to make it the server for my Apple TV.
What's the current draw on that thing?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anandtech mentions that for the iMac G5 1.9 GHz it's about 96 watts under load.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

How strong is the internal speaker on the mac pro? I'm using one at work to play music pretty softly, the tone & timbre are awful but it's enough to break up the sound of the fans. This won't damage the internal speaker will it?

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
I'm considered getting a Mac to play around with iPhone development. I'm thinking of getting the entry level Mac mini, but increasing the memory to 8GB. As far as I have been able to determine with Google, this should be plenty enough for my needs.

I'd like to "integrate" the Mac mini as effortless as possible with my current setup; a Windows 7 machine, keyboard, mouse and two 24". Preferably, I want to be able to control the mini with the same keyboard and mouse; changing between Windows and OSX should not be an hassle.

What are my options?

1. Using something like Synergy, connect one monitor to the mini, keep the other one on Windows.

Pros: Seems like it should work like I want it, provided my wireless logitech dinovo plays nice with OSX.
Cons: When I'm not using the mini, I have to move around the DVI between the mini and the PC

2. Using some sort of remote desktop (ARD?) to remote into the mini and control it like that.

Pros: I wouldn't need to move around DVI cables. Wouldn't need to have the mini near the PC, could use it as a HTPC as well.
Cons: Not sure about performance, don't want to have lagged input.

3. Something else? Some sort of KVM?

Help appreciated!

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
VNC over a LAN connection will be fast and probably lag free.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I fly long range every few months (SF-Istanbul). I'm looking for a way to extend the battery life of my 2011 MacBook Pro, 13". I usually like to write on my laptop, but even then my battery dies at around 4 hours. Is there a special low voltage adapter/extra battery for this purpose?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Splashtop is still the fastest remote client, particularly on lan, that I have used.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

UnfurledSails posted:

I fly long range every few months (SF-Istanbul). I'm looking for a way to extend the battery life of my 2011 MacBook Pro, 13". I usually like to write on my laptop, but even then my battery dies at around 4 hours. Is there a special low voltage adapter/extra battery for this purpose?

Apple sells a MagSafe Airline adapter pretty much for that purpose. If your plane doesn't have a power adapter, I'm not sure what the best solution is.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
Either that or there's external batteries like HyperJuice. $170 gets you 20 hours of battery, supposedly, but you have to buy the airline adaptor too, so it's going to be around $220.

I guess if you REALLY miss those few hours of productivity, it'd be worth it, but you should probably just try and sleep or something. Plus, I'm assuming you've done the obvious battery saving things? Screen dimmed, bluetooth off, etc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well that would figure. I left the US two days ago for Thailand and upon arriving here I have chrome crash on me. A few other programs crashed so I attempted to reboot it. Well, looks like I lost my loving Corsair ssd or the machine entirely poo poo itself - I checked the smart data before reboot and both my ssd and optibay were error free but who knows.

Welp. Typing this poo poo on my iPhone set to airplane mode on the phi phi island beach :suicide: This will be a long three week trip and now I will have to buy a bunch of cf cards instead of dumping photos to my laptop. Vent complete.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

UnfurledSails posted:

I fly business class on long hauls and they have adapters in the center console you can just plug a regular adapter in to.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Anandtech mentions that for the iMac G5 1.9 GHz it's about 96 watts under load.
I think the real joke is that idle is 75W.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

I think the real joke is that idle is 75W.

Yeesh. Should've thought about that. I was thinking about picking up a mini before I tried the G5, so maybe I'll do that instead.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BlackMK4 posted:

Well that would figure. I left the US two days ago for Thailand and upon arriving here I have chrome crash on me. A few other programs crashed so I attempted to reboot it. Well, looks like I lost my loving Corsair ssd or the machine entirely poo poo itself - I checked the smart data before reboot and both my ssd and optibay were error free but who knows.

Welp. Typing this poo poo on my iPhone set to airplane mode on the phi phi island beach :suicide: This will be a long three week trip and now I will have to buy a bunch of cf cards instead of dumping photos to my laptop. Vent complete.

Boot into Lion recovery mode and install the OS on the platter drive?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Unfortunately I have my time machine backups on that disk because I wasn't smart enough to get a new external drive when I moved to the optibay setup. :(

When I try to restore from an old backup it fails after like .2%

The Internet here is too slow and they have very strong bandwidth count limits too.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 18, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just left the San Francisco Apple store. They have to have 80 or 90 employees working there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ok, had a second to mess with it. When I try to partition my ssd after booting lion restore it tells me 'partition failed with the error: can't unmount disk'. When I try to restore from a time machine backup it fails immediately with 'an error occurred while erasing your restore destination disk. Restart your computer then try restoring again' an it says down below that the disk can't be erased.

Confirming a dead ssd? It's a Corsair F60. Is this how they act when they die? Can't write to them anymore?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Confirming a dead ssd? It's a Corsair F60. Is this how they act when they die? Can't write to them anymore?
Ideally they fail to a read-only state.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:( Well poo poo. Guess case closed then.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wolffenstein posted:

VNC over a LAN connection will be fast and probably lag free.
Just don't use the built in VNC server cause the performance blows with anything other than Screen Sharing.

Do the screens have any other inputs? That would be the best option performance and quality wise. I did that when I had two computers hooked up and used some network kb/mouse thing like Synergy to switch between the setups, just had them set up virtually side by side. Could get confusing if you lost track of the mouse but wasn't that big of a deal usually.

Having to switch two monitors every time could get annoying I guess. I only have one, and as of Lion I just did the VNC thing and put my other computer in its own space.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

japtor posted:

Having to switch two monitors every time could get annoying I guess. I only have one, and as of Lion I just did the VNC thing and put my other computer in its own space.

I'll try VNC and see how it works out. Worst case I'll just use Synergy.

Malay
Aug 31, 2003

A meeting of great minds.
Has anyone ever been able to partition their Time Capsule HD with an exFAT partition? I don't need 2TB for backups and I was hoping to use some of the HD space essentially as a shared iTunes or iPhoto library.

I'm having a hard time parsing the internet's opinion on this - but the consensus seems to lean towards it not being possible without actually taking the drive out. Any ideas?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Malay posted:

Has anyone ever been able to partition their Time Capsule HD with an exFAT partition? I don't need 2TB for backups and I was hoping to use some of the HD space essentially as a shared iTunes or iPhoto library.

I'm having a hard time parsing the internet's opinion on this - but the consensus seems to lean towards it not being possible without actually taking the drive out. Any ideas?

The Time Capsule HD is shared over a network, the disk format doesn't matter. It should automatically share over SMB so that Windows can see it, no need for reformatting.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Can I use an Apple gift card (not an iTunes card, a regular apple gift card) for a refurb unit?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I don't see why not. Does the online store accept Apple gift cards?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

Can I use an Apple gift card (not an iTunes card, a regular apple gift card) for a refurb unit?

Yep. If it's in the Apple Store (retail or online), you can buy it. Refurbs, clearance, new, doesn't matter.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Thanks guys. Refurb 13" MBA here I come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I mentioned earlier that I was thinking about getting a mini, but I went to a local store today and noticed that they had the high-end early 2011 MBP (2.2 quad i7, 6750M 1GB, 750 gig HDD) for $1794.

Since I was considering replacing my late-'08 MBP anyway, I might just go with that instead of the mini. Is there anything I need to be aware of?