Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Hog Fell on Me posted:

Stormwarrior's first album was a pretty enjoyable tribute to/ripoff of Walls of Jericho-era Helloween, complete with ugly Uwe Karczewski cover art: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ncJTMMGvLM

Fun thing about Stormwarrior is that Kai Hansen either performed or produced on their first two albums, so it's no surprise they sound like Helloween. The German power-metallers stick together, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Qu Appelle posted:

Anybody planning on going to Inferno Festival in Oslo next Spring?

I might get a day pass if enough of the bands I'd like to see are scheduled for the same day. Since our first kid was born three years ago I haven't been able to justify a full festival pass even to myself, never mind to my wife -- and the lineups have been kind of lacklustre lately, as well (but the 2012 lineup is looking pretty good so far).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Slayer are playing Copenhell 2012 next summer. Are they still worth watching?

So far the lineup is:

Slayer

Marilyn Manson,

Lamb of God

Anthrax

Skeletonwitch

Trivium

Killswitch Engage

Korpiklaani

Of those I really only want to see Anthrax but there is still another 8 bands that haven't been named yet.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

MrBling posted:

I saw them at Yankee Stadium in September and they were amazing, and I don't even care for them.

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
Anybody here listen to the new Klabautamann full length release? I think it's a bit of a grower from what I've heard so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFPloQydKNc

It really isn't as strong as Merkur from just checking out the few tracks that are on Youtube, but I'll be able to give it a full listen this weekend and see how it fares. I'm a really big fan of the previous release and Der Ort, so hopefully it'll give me something to rave about...

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

MrBling posted:

So far the lineup is:

Slayer

Marilyn Manson,

Lamb of God

Anthrax

Skeletonwitch

Trivium

Killswitch Engage

Korpiklaani

Of those I really only want to see Anthrax but there is still another 8 bands that haven't been named yet.

Skeletonwitch put on a kick rear end show, if that helps.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

MrBling posted:

Slayer was good a couple years ago when I saw them last. I hear LoG's shows are a blast, and the same with Skeletonwitch, but the rest seems kinda meh if not total poo poo. It'd depend on the ticket price for me.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

co199 posted:

Fun thing about Stormwarrior is that Kai Hansen either performed or produced on their first two albums, so it's no surprise they sound like Helloween. The German power-metallers stick together, eh?

I thought their second one was a decent listen too. It's no masterpiece sure but makes fun highway music. This latest one is boring though.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

the yeti posted:

I thought their second one was a decent listen too. It's no masterpiece sure but makes fun highway music. This latest one is boring though.

I'm a big fan of their third album, Heading North (I fuckin' refuse to put an e on the end of every word like they do). Lion of the North has a great bassline and they pretty well mastered the harmonies on the album. Some decent solos, too. I agree, though - Heathen Warrior is Heading North with a healthy dose of boring.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Groke posted:

I might get a day pass if enough of the bands I'd like to see are scheduled for the same day. Since our first kid was born three years ago I haven't been able to justify a full festival pass even to myself, never mind to my wife -- and the lineups have been kind of lacklustre lately, as well (but the 2012 lineup is looking pretty good so far).

If I go, I'm getting the full pass. I'm not familiar with a lot of the bands playing, but I'd like to be. Plus, I'd be on vacation.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Qu Appelle posted:

If I go, I'm getting the full pass. I'm not familiar with a lot of the bands playing, but I'd like to be. Plus, I'd be on vacation.

Yeah, of course I'm local which makes a day pass more reasonable.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

MrBling posted:

No. They sound as old as they really are.

MrBling posted:

I would definitely want to see this.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Honestly the only two Slayer albums that I actively enjoy are Reign in Blood and Seasons in the Abyss. Call me a fair weather thrash fan, but the other albums in their catalog just don't do it for me.

Anybody heard of any good tours coming to Atlanta, GA next year? I'm hoping Behemoth actually swing by the southeast, because that is one band I really want to see live.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but for those of you who live in the States and missed Arkona the first time around, they are coming back with Paganfest 2012:

Turisas, Alestorm, Ex Deo, Arkona, Huntress

Thu 3/29 - Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
Fri 3/30 - Worcester, MA @ Palladium
Sat 3/31 - New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre
Sun 4/01 - Montreal, QC @ Club Soda
Mon 4/02 - Toronto, ON @ The Opera House
Tue 4/03 - Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
Wed 4/04 - Detroit, MI @ Blondie's
Thu 4/05 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's Rock Club
Fri 4/06 - Saint Paul, MN @ Station 4
Sat 4/07 - Louisville, KY @ Vernon Club
Sun 4/08 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall
Fri 4/13 - Denver, CO @ Summit Music Hall
Sun 4/15 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
Mon 4/16 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
Tue 4/17 - San Francisco, CA DNA Lounge
Wed 4/18 - West Hollywood, CA @ Key Club

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiit.

I just found out Agalloch will play their first ever gig in Finland in April. I think I may have broken some sort of speed record in ordering tickets online.

I'm so loving stoked right now, oh man oh man oh man. April can't come soon enough.

I hope they'll play She Painted Fire Across The Skyline.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I worked a Death Angel show instead of going to see Agalloch.

I still regret doing so.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Nordick posted:

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiit.

I just found out Agalloch will play their first ever gig in Finland in April. I think I may have broken some sort of speed record in ordering tickets online.

I'm so loving stoked right now, oh man oh man oh man. April can't come soon enough.

I hope they'll play She Painted Fire Across The Skyline.

See you there. I'm stoked as well.

I just found out Christian Mistress's second album's gonna come out in February. I just recently got their debut and I'm pumped about that, too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress my exams, missed Skeletonwitch again. :( They are doing a surprise show in MN tonight.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

New Municipal Waste album announced for early 2012. I wasn't a big fan of their last album, but I am interested that the bass/synth guy from Zombi is going to be on some tracks.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
New Psycroptic track

http://soundcloud.com/nuclearblastrecords/psycroptic-carriers-of-the

it's really good imo

Beaver Fever
Apr 10, 2005

I know I'm a bit late to the game on this one, but it's taken me a couple months to formulate a solid opinion...

Mastodon - The Hunter is a great album!

Now granted it is no Leviathan (Hearts Alive continues to absolutely destroy me every time I hear it), but The Hunter is a solid effort.

Top tracks:
Black Tongue - this one continues to get better the more I listen to it, great tune
Curl of the Burl - silly song about meth heads; I like
Stargasm
Octopus Has No Friends - prog pop?
Dry Bone Valley - a solid rocker
Creature Lives - synth intro leading into nerdy psychedelia? Maybe not metal but I like it.

Quite a departure from the previous albums, but I think they are evolving their sound in a good way. I don't think they could recreate the intensity and sheer awesome of Leviathan, but at the same time I don't think they should try to.
I like the new direction they've taken the band in, and I will continue to support these fine boys from Georgia.

Also, Brann Dailor...this loving guy, drat

---

Also been listening to Carcass - Heartwork a bit lately. A loving classic!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I threw in the new Taake again last night. It's such an amazingly solid album. Also, the banjo solo on "Myr" is hilarious every time.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

nerve posted:

New Psycroptic track

it's really good imo

Sounds pretty good. I liked Observant, but nothing can beat Isle or Scepter.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

QPZIL posted:

I threw in the new Taake again last night. It's such an amazingly solid album. Also, the banjo solo on "Myr" is hilarious every time.

That song is great when you're feeling kind of lovely because black metal is good for that anyway, and then BAM, loving banjo solo to make you laugh. It will never not be funny.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

nerve posted:

New Psycroptic track

it's really good imo

I like it. The riffs at 1:57 are sick.

Most of my love for Necrophagist has been transferred to Psycroptic. I'm sick of waiting for the new Necrophagist album but I'm really looking forward to the Psycroptic one.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm still waiting for something like Wolves In The Throne Room meets Vangelis. Is that too lofty of a dream?

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

fatherdog posted:

I have to wear metal t-shirts because otherwise when people see my denim jacket and mullet they just assume I'm Canadian.

Laughed my rear end off at this post, and I'm Canadian. Good job.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I want recommendations for metal bands that use keyboards.

My favorite artist is Devin Townsend, and my initial thought of his recent album Deconstruction was mixed. I was disappointed it wasn't quite as heavy as I was expecting. But it quickly grew on me. The album itself is good. While there are a few songs that I simply don't listen to, the ones I do make up for it. Especially the title track and the Mighty Masturbator. I'm loving obsessed with those two songs, I pretty much have to listen to them every single loving day.

I think what's really getting me with this album is the keyboard. It really adds a lot of flavor to the music. I want more. I need more.

I have one caveat. I have never been able to get into bands like Dream Theater because they are too.. melodic? I know I'm wrong in feeling this way. My life is less than it could be because I can't enjoy Dream Theater.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Revol posted:

Opeth
Enslaved

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Revol posted:

Shade Empire I guess, although they might come off a little emo-gothic at times.

But absolutely and definitely SAMAEL. These guys have gone from some really drat kickass black metal in the early 90s to some sorta cyber metal, and have stayed awesome as gently caress the entire time.

Some more Samael.
And more Samael.
Also, Samael.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nordick posted:

But absolutely and definitely SAMAEL. These guys have gone from some really drat kickass black metal in the early 90s to some sorta cyber metal, and have stayed awesome as gently caress the entire time.

Some more Samael.
And more Samael.
Also, Samael.

Well if Revol doesn't like this, I sure do, so thanks!

Sounds a bit like if The Project Hate used way more keyboard. So I guess maybe he should check them out too: It's christians, they hate christians.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

Revol posted:

My favorite artist is Devin Townsend, and my initial thought of his recent album Deconstruction was mixed. I was disappointed it wasn't quite as heavy as I was expecting. But it quickly grew on me. The album itself is good. While there are a few songs that I simply don't listen to, the ones I do make up for it. Especially the title track and the Mighty Masturbator. I'm loving obsessed with those two songs, I pretty much have to listen to them every single loving day.

I think what's really getting me with this album is the keyboard. It really adds a lot of flavor to the music. I want more. I need more.

I have one caveat. I have never been able to get into bands like Dream Theater because they are too.. melodic? I know I'm wrong in feeling this way. My life is less than it could be because I can't enjoy Dream Theater.

For Opeth, only Ghost Reveries and Watershed really have much keyboard in 'em, but yeah, both of them are fantastic.

A lot of melodeath bands use keyboards, I guess the most obvious ones being Children of Bodom and Dark Tranquillity. If you love bombast, most power metal and symphonic black metal bands use a lot of keyboards (Dimmu Borgir, Mirrorthrone).

I don't know if everyone will consider it metal, but Katatonia's newest album, Night is the New Day, uses keyboards really well.

Not the most original recommendations, I know.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There's also Kalmah. In their older albums, the keyboards are at the forefront quite a bit, they start taking on a background role in the later albums.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Revol posted:

Good, cause I don't like them either. How about Emperor? Or Ihsahn's solo stuff?

Also, shameless plug, I wrote a fun blog about the 2012 releases...I miss writing metal stuff.

http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2011/12/2012-pitgoddess-anticipates-good-poo poo.html

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
They're a hate/love band to begin with, but I'm going with a few friends to a Rammstein concert in April. Already went once before down in New Jersey and the show kicked rear end, looking forward to see what they do in Worcester.

If I recall correctly, the last time they played the DCU Center they got arrested after the show and had to serve one day in jail for their stage show for one of their songs.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh yeah, about those keyboards.

Even at the risk of possibly receiving some flak from some metal puritans, I feel I must mention Machinae Supremacy. They are melodic as gently caress, but not in the same way as Dream Theater. Bluntly put, they rock the gently caress out instead of pussyfooting around.

For keyboards they use a so-called SIDStation, a synth using the SID chip known from the old Commodore 64 computers, so they have this "retro videogame" sound. I guess they might've been a bit of a gimmick band (an awesome one though) back when they started, but they've certainly grown past that, and I consider their latest album one of the very best I've heard in the last decade. The vocalist might take some getting used to, I guess.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Revol posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

BSchlang posted:

A lot of melodeath bands use keyboards, I guess the most obvious ones being Children of Bodom
The most awesome guitar/keyboard solo battle ever

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I got to see them play this at what I think was their first-ever headlining show in the US (one-off on the Lamb of God tour), and Janne Wirman snapped a key on his keyboard playing this solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Attention grindcore lovers:

Vicious Bastard released their debut album, "Post Abortion Lust," last month and it is insanely good. It's basically the grind portions from Anaal Nathrakh's last few albums and concentrated into a violent frenzy that spans fourteen tracks and just over twenty-four minutes.

It also has appearances by Dave Hunt and Mark "Barney" Greenway. it's a ridiculously good U.K. grind album, and I suggest you check it out.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 18, 2011