Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What I really wonder is how the Bolton clan in general is allowed to loving exist as a lord house and not have been ousted by someone who could put two and two together and realize the Boltons are sociopaths and essentially a Noble non-cannibal version of the Sawney Bean clan. That bugs me more than just Ramsay being a cartoonish serial killer fuckwit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Joramun posted:

I've been thinking about that too lately, and wondering if he could still salvage Ramsay as an actual character instead of the caricature he is now like he did with Jaime and Melisandre for example, i.e. by giving him a POV chapter. Probably not, but it would still at least be a nice writing challenge.

Any kind of writing is a writing challenge.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Just finished this book, quite enjoyed it! Don't really have any complaints other than having to wait a long time for the next one.

The Boltons really killed Stannis? :ohdear:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Paperback Writer posted:

The Boltons really killed Stannis? :ohdear:
I sure hope not. I do believe Jon is really dead, though. Which is also sad because he was one of my favorite POV characters, but his time had simply come.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jon has pretty clearly warged at the moment of death into Walder Frey.

Heh.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Heh.

Just so.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Joramun posted:

I sure hope not. I do believe Jon is really dead, though. Which is also sad because he was one of my favorite POV characters, but his time had simply come.
I thought he was going to be like the focal character for when the Others attack. Also, kinda dumb of those Night's Watch to kill him while they are totally outnumbered by wildlings.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's pretty clear that the "For the Wall" people are meant to be a parody of New Mexico Border Patrol "FOR AMURICKA" types :smug: :smug: :smug:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Paperback Writer posted:

I thought he was going to be like the focal character for when the Others attack. Also, kinda dumb of those Night's Watch to kill him while they are totally outnumbered by wildlings.

mufugga aint dead hth

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Paperback Writer posted:

I thought he was going to be like the focal character for when the Others attack.

Plenty left to take that role, like Sam or Melisandre. If it ever happens at all.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
So you guys are saying the uncultured and grimy wildlings are Mexicans?

:catstare:

I thought the Dothraki were (according to tviv)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Jon has pretty clearly warged at the moment of death into Walder Frey.

Heh.
Now I can't shake the image of Ned and his slain sons all enjoying a nice cup of tea and a game of cards inside Walder Frey after warging into him upon death.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Joramun posted:

Plenty left to take that role, like Sam

You would be required to listen to this song while reading chapters where Sam is somehow the protagonist of the Wall.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bigmcgaffney posted:

So you guys are saying the uncultured and grimy wildlings are Mexicans?

:catstare:

I thought the Dothraki were (according to tviv)

You'd let those scrubs tell you which interpretation is right when half of them didn't see Ned's death coming and aren't even aware of Melisandre let alone the Red Wedding or the Boltons? :smugdog:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

You'd let those scrubs tell you which interpretation is right when half of them didn't see Ned's death coming
To be fair, neither did any of us when we first read the book. Hindsight is 20/20 but the first time around Joffrey's judgment was pretty abrupt and out of left field.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd try to be all contrary and extra :smug: about seeing Ned's death coming but honestly I was semi-spoiled, so I'll just be kind-of :smug: because some of us did see it coming based on the series' reputation.

No one told me Ned died but everyone told me to be on the lookout for major character deaths, and Ned's seemed really obvious to me once I was on the lookout, especially when I thought about how neatly it'd subvert the cliche of the noble and ethical man getting karmic justice for sticking to his guns.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Joffrey is simply the beta test for Ramsay Bolton. He does every cruel thing he can all the time, even if it obviously hurts his own prosperity, because enormous white noise where the reasoning should be with the main difference being he shoots bunnies instead of Spearwives.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mind the walrus posted:

I'd try to be all contrary and extra :smug: about seeing Ned's death coming but honestly I was semi-spoiled, so I'll just be kind-of :smug: because some of us did see it coming based on the series' reputation.

No one told me Ned died but everyone told me to be on the lookout for major character deaths, and Ned's seemed really obvious to me once I was on the lookout, especially when I thought about how neatly it'd subvert the cliche of the noble and ethical man getting karmic justice for sticking to his guns.

I had everything major spoiled for me back when the books' thread was still in GBS. Didn't bother me.

And then came the bad thread, where we spoil people for fun.

Paperback Writer posted:

Just finished this book, quite enjoyed it! Don't really have any complaints other than having to wait a long time for the next one.

:frogout:

Or :getin:, and we will make you one of us. You will hate Gurm. Hatred will consume you.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Nilbop posted:

Joffrey is simply the beta test for Ramsay Bolton. He does every cruel thing he can all the time, even if it obviously hurts his own prosperity, because enormous white noise where the reasoning should be with the main difference being he shoots bunnies instead of Spearwives.
That's an interesting parallel but let's not forget that Joffrey was only 12 years old then, recklessness and reasoning without regard to the consequences is almost expected. Ramsay's perpetual OTT violence could be explained as hubris, plain old psychosis or (most likely) self-esteem issues but even then it's still ridiculous, especially because everybody just lets him get away with it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Joffery's bullshit at least makes a little sense, as he's a 12 year old kid who's pampered as gently caress except when his father beats him.

Acting like a sociopath is pretty much expected.

Just he doesn't grow out of it or learn anything or become more circumspect. He just gets more and more over the top and retarded until he dies.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

hailthefish posted:

Joffery's bullshit at least makes a little sense, as he's a 12 year old kid who's pampered as gently caress except when his father beats him.

Acting like a sociopath is pretty much expected.

Just he doesn't grow out of it or learn anything or become more circumspect. He just gets more and more over the top and retarded until he dies.

Which is at 13.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joramun posted:

That's an interesting parallel but let's not forget that Joffrey was only 12 years old then, recklessness and reasoning without regard to the consequences is almost expected. Ramsay's perpetual OTT violence could be explained as hubris, plain old psychosis or (most likely) self-esteem issues but even then it's still ridiculous, especially because everybody just lets him get away with it.

He gets away with it because his dad is also a psycho and his dad/Ramsay have a fuckload of soldiers so they can do whatever insane poo poo they want to unless it pisses off someone more powerful.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Edit: ^^^ I just wonder why the soldiers let them get away with it. Yeah, the Boltons are nobles and pay them, but surely a few them got around to hearing about the Starks or Kastarks and how it's a little unusual for your women and deserters to get loving tortured.

Yeah, I've met enough pampered brats in my lifetime to totally buy Joffrey's actions as consistent with a pampered 12-13 year-old with more power than sense, but Ramsay really doesn't make any sense to me. Even if the Boltons are essentially the Jeffrey Dahlmer clan of the North why would they let a bastard get away with all the poo poo he does?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mind the walrus posted:

Even if the Boltons are essentially the Jeffrey Dahlmer clan of the North why would they let a bastard get away with all the poo poo he does?

Even papa Bolton simply sighs and rolls his eyes when he hears about the hosed up things Ramsay does. As if to shrug it off as kids being kids.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And he's a goddamn bastard. Didn't Jon get uncommonly nice treatment for a bastard and was still barely tolerated if he got up to shenanigans that'd threaten the honor of the house like sitting on the dais when important guests came to town? Why the gently caress would anyone turn a blind eye to a bastard straight up butchering people?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mind the walrus posted:

And he's a goddamn bastard. Didn't Jon get uncommonly nice treatment for a bastard and was still barely tolerated if he got up to shenanigans that'd threaten the honor of the house like sitting on the dais when important guests came to town? Why the gently caress would anyone turn a blind eye to a bastard straight up butchering people?

I believe Robb or Joffrey legitimized him, I forget who. Nobody likes the guy, they always talk about how he's a bastard. His dad is powerful though, and has a sizable army.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Even papa Bolton simply sighs and rolls his eyes when he hears about the hosed up things Ramsay does. As if to shrug it off as kids being kids.

Papa Bolton is pretty crazy too. He's just learned to be more discreet than Ramsay.

Also, I finished ADWD yesterday. I enjoyed AFFC so it was much the same experience but with my favourite characters. But gee, those Quentyn Martell chapters were a waste of time. The ending was pretty rad, though.

Octy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 18, 2011

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Ramsay's probably regarded to be just another dangerously disturbed bastard lordling in Westeros by most soldiers. We the reader know about the intimate details of what he does to people. For most soldiers, all they'd hear is that he tortures and rapes people. Big deal - Gregor Clegane was doing that and worse in book one. Gregor kills his wifes and servants and babies; We just don't know the inside story on many of those happenings.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

I believe Robb or Joffrey legitimized him, I forget who.
Tommen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I believe Robb or Joffrey legitimized him, I forget who. Nobody likes the guy, they always talk about how he's a bastard. His dad is powerful though, and has a sizable army.

Yeah he had a reputation long before that though.

Fair point on Gregor, but with Gregor I assume it's because the dude is loving Gregor; who wants to mess with that? Bolton's dad by contrast has a powerful army but isn't like a Stark or Tyrell or even an Arryn.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

Ramsay's probably regarded to be just another dangerously disturbed bastard lordling in Westeros by most soldiers. We the reader know about the intimate details of what he does to people. For most soldiers, all they'd hear is that he tortures and rapes people. Big deal - Gregor Clegane was doing that and worse in book one. Gregor kills his wifes and servants and babies; We just don't know the inside story on many of those happenings.
Robb does at least try to put an end to it after hearing about Ramsay locking up his wife in the tower and starving her to the point of eating her own fingers, but they erroneously kill the original Reek instead of Ramsay himself because they have switched clothes. And then Ramsay-Reek goes into hiding with Theon and Robb obviously never got a chance to go after him again.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mind the walrus posted:

Isn't he the only surviving son though? (He killed the legitimate one, iirc.) Bastard or not that's a thing. And a dude like Roose Bolton might even respect him for doing it, because as I said, he's also a psycho, he's just the low key kind.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Octy posted:

Papa Bolton is pretty crazy too. He's just learned to be more discreet than Ramsay.

That's the thing. Papa is discreet, yet he allows his bastard to put the tard in bastard.

Octy posted:

Also, I finished ADWD yesterday. I enjoyed AFFC so it was much the same experience but with my favourite characters. But gee, those Quentyn Martell chapters were a waste of time. The ending was pretty rad, though.

What part of the ending? The Dany having the bloody squirts or Uncle Lannister getting ceasared?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Is it a problem if someone hasn't read the source material?

I wish he only read the bad thread as source. That would be an interesting movie.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Octy posted:

But gee, those Quentyn Martell chapters were a waste of time. The ending was pretty rad, though.
Aw, I liked Frog. Hard to think of anyone I really disliked in ADWD, I suppose Asha.

So those Tales of Dunk and Egg books are worth getting yeah? I need more.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I found Frog pitiful, at least GRRM had the decency to kill the poor weakling off while trying to prove his strength.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Asha is the bad thread personified.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

That's the thing. Papa is discreet, yet he allows his bastard to put the tard in bastard.

What part of the ending? The Dany having the bloody squirts or Uncle Lannister getting ceasared?

Varys and his little children killing Pycelle and Kevan. I did not see that one coming, whereas graphic descriptions of Dany making GBS threads water was inevitable.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

Asha is the bad thread personified.

nuncle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I imagine Octy's avatar with a corkboard done up with index cards and strings connecting ideas and plot-threads and mathematical formula all pointing to one index card circled several times "Dany making GBS threads water."