Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Songbearer posted:

Make the majority of the top floor into shootable glass windows and there, you've got your improvement.

After running into four high gold clanners who crumbled so bad under the opposition of three pubbies and me and hid there, I think it should be blocked off entirely. Stick some speaker stacks there, have the NPC stand right on top of the stairs and look cool instead.

And when did the OSMAW start dealing damage through thick solid walls? :v:
poo poo's strange in Waterfront, but in Financial I can hide behind a pillar and live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Posting for proof of goon for Captainswing.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
Pro gamers use pro load screens. :smugbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P85PWd7Lr1I&hd=1

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Thread title says it all. When playing with a group of decent people it is really quite fun but it suffers from a low number of players and the free to play being very very basic. You're going to suffer quite badly if you don't shell out for stuff and stuff is expensive. Decent weapons costing as much as $50 to keep them permanently.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

^^^They only do that because for some reason people actually buy them.

May as well jump on the character pics bandwagon. Though my enforcer's customized stuff is pretty :effort: so yeah.. I need to come up with a good outfit at some point.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Activate that ten day free Premium steam code, play until you learn the ropes, then APB will be fine.

Though that might take more than ten days.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

In as milkmensch!

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I'm having so much fun in this awkward game. I'm rolling with the obeya and the joker secondary weapon. What do goons think the best weapon is?

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Goofballs posted:

I'm having so much fun in this awkward game. I'm rolling with the obeya and the joker secondary weapon. What do goons think the best weapon is?

It really depends on the fighting and area you are in.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

mpyro posted:

It really depends on the fighting and area you are in.

well I mostly play in financial and waterfront. I've been to the contruction site area but not the other team deathwatch zone. I don't change weapons too often except for secondry. I have at least experimented most there. Didn't care too much for the ak47 or whatever they call it but only tried it in the construction site when badly outnumbered with possible hackers. I say that because they always knew where people were when they really shouldn't have. From youtube the aimbot thing seems less annoying.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Got called a hacker by like 4 or 5 people tonight. SHAW owns. The best was the bronze who said I was boting and using a macro. A macro on my SHAW...

Then again, how else could I have kept beating his Joker carbine at point blank range using the weapon with the highest ROF of any primary?

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

Highlight of the evening was me and a friend arresting Hunter S. Thompson (I'm the kawaii one)

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

TerminalSaint posted:

Got called a hacker by like 4 or 5 people tonight. SHAW owns. The best was the bronze who said I was boting and using a macro. A macro on my SHAW...

Then again, how else could I have kept beating his Joker carbine at point blank range using the weapon with the highest ROF of any primary?

People keep accusing me of using an aimbot. The community is paranoid as poo poo about hackers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got my first hackusation because the guys couldn't tell the difference between an NTEC and the slotted OBEYA I was using. Such sweet, delicious tears.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
So uh, how do I get to play with other goons? I'm playing on Joker as Braww and having tons of fun, can't wait to play with some of you guys.

Murphys Stache
Oct 5, 2007

There goes my nipples again!

OBEY SOMETHING LAWFUL

Gath
Sep 23, 2009
I was literally trying to get almost the same display areas not too long ago. :bahgawd:
cursed swat latino pubbie clans.
Maybe we can get a whole district to display the goat man.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwm000PnJW8&hd=1

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Alright, so the Jokers and all that nonsense that you get with the Steam promo, are they purchasable in the marketplace or something? I was just wondering what the deal is with them, since I was told that premium doesn't lock you out of items or weapons, it just gives you more money and prestige/faster ranks plus better customization.

Also from the looks of it you only get a very, very limited selection of weapons in the vanilla game with no purchases.

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

Tewratomeh posted:

Also from the looks of it you only get a very, very limited selection of weapons in the vanilla game with no purchases.

You can purcahse guns from your contacts once you "unlock" them by pledging to the contact and doing missions for them. Very few are available at the onset.

flashdim fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 18, 2011

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

There is a list of all the weapons that get unlocked with different contacts. Here is the one for the Prentiss Tigers http://www.apbrwiki.com/wiki/Prentiss_Tigers You want to get Chung Hee unlocked first as he gives you access to the ntec which is the best assault rifle and the Obeya which is a decent long and medium ranged weapon.

When you buy a gun you get it for ten days but since you can make money fairly easily even as a cheap rear end free player like me so keeping your favorite stuff isn't going to be an issue. I've had the most success with the semi auto rifles so I reccomend those. And there is a hand gun called Joker something or other that is pretty decent if you have to fight at close range.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
in as mtBiosys on Joker.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
Had a pretty good run yesterday. SpaceJace, myself, and I think a pubbie were defending briefcases from a gang 9 or so crims. SpaceJace locked down one of the cases by himself, it never left the arson site. Meanwhile, I took my case on a joy ride in the starter car. I was pursued by one dumptruck, two sports cars and an SUV. They only caught up to me when the timer ran out (and when I exploded). Best way to end a mission :c00lbert:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

flashdim posted:

You can purcahse guns from your contacts once you "unlock" them by pledging to the contact and doing missions for them. Very few are available at the onset.

Ah, alright. So you just get better weapons early with the promo?

Maybe these are dumb questions but pretty much every single weapon I've unlocked at the contacts says "Expires in 10 days" save for the basic handgun and some of the lower-tier assault rifles.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

You 'rent' the in in-game guns with your game money. You can go to http://www.gamersfirst.com/marketplace/apb/ingame_login.php

and buy either 'rented' special guns or permanent ones. There are various promotions here and there where you might get something permanent. Over the 6 months I've played I've got the Joker RFP-9 pistol and JG-840 shotgun, which come in handy.

The Steam promo just gave a taste of what one of those Armas Market guns is like and what premium does.

This site is helpful, too, to figure out some things:
http://apb.niipazzo.com/Home/Progression

Any way to get a hold of the nyan reloaded one? or trick to edit it in? I've a friend who'd absolutely love it. She's Nyan Cat themed top to bottom.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 18, 2011

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

I don't mind the whole renting guns thing in this, but the cash shop suffers from some pretty serious pay-to-win syndrome. There are absolutely weapons in the cash shop which you cannot get anything analogous to with ingame currency, and which are unequivocally better than anything you can get with ingame currency.

Unfortunately, people are really dumb so the cash shop prices are exorbitant. 50 bux for an internet sniper rifle? Sign me up :downsgun:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I bought a three slot Alig for a month and that was worth it. Instead of what, 2000-3000 kills to get the in-game money equivalent my few weeks with that one accelerated me towards the IGM alternative greatly.

But buying uncustomizable outfits, weapons and vehicles, permanent? Using the same poo poo every day, every mission, every kill? I don't get those people but that's okay, their financial support might one day result in the game having punkbuster running constantly and proper new districts coming out.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Might be more like 8000 kills, it's 2000 from 13 to 14 and 5000 from 14 to 15. And that's only direct MG kills, blowing up cars people are in or near don't count.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ack! posted:

You 'rent' the in in-game guns with your game money. You can go to http://www.gamersfirst.com/marketplace/apb/ingame_login.php

and buy either 'rented' special guns or permanent ones. There are various promotions here and there where you might get something permanent. Over the 6 months I've played I've got the Joker RFP-9 pistol and JG-840 shotgun, which come in handy.

The Steam promo just gave a taste of what one of those Armas Market guns is like and what premium does.

This site is helpful, too, to figure out some things:
http://apb.niipazzo.com/Home/Progression

Any way to get a hold of the nyan reloaded one? or trick to edit it in? I've a friend who'd absolutely love it. She's Nyan Cat themed top to bottom.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/229862/LoadingMovieV1.7z

Put it in APBGame/Movies

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

TerminalSaint posted:

Might be more like 8000 kills, it's 2000 from 13 to 14 and 5000 from 14 to 15. And that's only direct MG kills, blowing up cars people are in or near don't count.

Oh, I forgot about that little thing. Makes it more like 12k kills required for Alig if you're a fan of Hunting Scope 3, or go the three slot route and add an additional seven maters of range to it so that you can sit and nuke vehicles until after they've left your visual range.

Secrets :ssh:

I don't mind fighting a team of gold players with more money spent on weapons vehicles outfits each than I spend on a month of food and drink, but grenade launchers and rocker launchers need to just loving go. Give me four enemies with Colby shotguns and great coordination, give me whisper snipers, give LTL to crim players, just get rid of loving explosive weapons and their newfound (compared to when I last faced them in early August) ability to deal damage through solid body-thick geometry.

BUT! I quickly re-created the carefully made camo outfit I had in the original APB, the one that often had me left behind or shot because even team-mates has trouble seeing me, and guess what? It still works. Do I dare share the symbol with you goons on Patriot?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 19, 2011

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

MrLonghair posted:

Do I dare share the symbol with you goons on Patriot?

Wait a minute, you play on Patriot? How come you don't roll with us?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Captain Swing posted:

Wait a minute, you play on Patriot? How come you don't roll with us?

My old clanners returned when I made my latest chara, as did the wonderful good old days I had with them, but now I'm ready to drop it into Something Lawful though, I intend to get him started with LTL soon for some quality griefing (and close-combat HVR)

Name of the character is Piayer, will be looking for the names over the coming days

e: And here's something funny! I was in a random pug of silvers and mostly bronze up against three gold and a silver crim, we won because we had to defend an area that could not be taken through run and gun tactics, even though they shrugged off most bullets we hit them with, which is something that happens very often.

I went from Silver =
To Gold =

:objection:

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 19, 2011

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

How does one go about converting video to Bink format for use in the APB loading screen? Thank you very much.

Also working on some sort of wallpaper for a loading screen, might animate it later on if I get a good idea.
http://i.imgur.com/U9XQE.jpg

Raxmus fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 19, 2011

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
Knock lessthanthree's car off a bridge? Kick from the guild!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Raxmus posted:

How does one go about converting video to Bink format for use in the APB loading screen? Thank you very much.

Also working on some sort of wallpaper for a loading screen, might animate it later on if I get a good idea.
http://i.imgur.com/U9XQE.jpg

RAD Video Tools.

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

That screen is pretty nice!

Raxmus
Jul 7, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

less than three posted:

RAD Video Tools.

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm

That screen is pretty nice!

Ah, thanks you. The only issue with that tool is that I need to render the video in uncompressed avi/mov format to have it convert to bik. That's really a minor issue though... it works great if you render properly.

http://i.imgur.com/cs0xL.jpg

Raxmus fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 19, 2011

Gath
Sep 23, 2009

Detour Ahead. :thumbsup:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Raxmus posted:

Ah, thanks you. The only issue with that tool is that I need to render the video in uncompressed avi/mov format to have it convert to bik. That's really a minor issue though... it works great if you render properly.

http://i.imgur.com/cs0xL.jpg

Yeah. I had the space to export my Nyan GIF as raw AVI for 1:30 and then compress to BIK. (And then throwing it in a 7z archive makes it like 2mb instead of 30)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Gath posted:

You know those oh so important ladders for people to climb up on in parts of Waterfront, the critical small door openings and stairs?

Not going to use your personal car for a while?

Park that sucker right there. Bonus points if you offroad it, like park it on top of a ladder so that people cannot even push it out of the way.

Took my Vaquero out to a certain central spot in a busy Waterfront, drove up to the third floor and blocked the door from the double ladder area alternate entry, and sure enough, within five minutes came the first meltdown in District chat. Quickly followed by a chain of "lol" from the team who won that showdown.

e: http://www.apbrwiki.com/wiki/Threat_Level
And the TL system makes some sense, but how my rank 60 something guy goes from maxed out Silver to maxed out Gold in a single victory, then down to Silver max in after a loss, and then ten more victories take him back up to Gold max again, I do not understand. What about all the seven eight jumps inbetween?

What an amazing way to troll people this is. Gather your highest TL friends and let the lowbies win.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Gtab Fan
Apr 12, 2007

Let it post, let it post, can't wait to shit post anymore~
Let it go, let it go, gonna vote one and move onnnnnn~

Gath posted:

I was reading about it in chat as I was doing missions with some other guys, and then we run into it out of nowhere. It was pretty awesome.

As for the marketplace, I talked with Marge about it a bit and we both agreed that it's the worst microtransaction store for a game ever. You know, they could make a killing if they had $2.99 clothing in the shop, people would buy that stuff wholesale. Instead we have $60 guns and crappy accessory packs. They could sell the cigarette or beret model for a few bucks each, instead they bundle it with some other worthless items and throw a large pricetag on it.

• Locked thread