Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm curious, and I know part of this might be that I'm still in the early chunks of it - any major UI revisions or things I should expect as I go through Geneforge? Just polished off 1 last week and began 2, discovered that aside from changing the eye-searing green nothing much seems different so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I'm curious, and I know part of this might be that I'm still in the early chunks of it - any major UI revisions or things I should expect as I go through Geneforge? Just polished off 1 last week and began 2, discovered that aside from changing the eye-searing green nothing much seems different so far.
The system changes in some somewhat important ways in 2 (I think the Parry skill is introduced, and promptly nerfed in 3, and there's more creations and spells, and the various formulas are tweaked I believe), and the inventory management and graphics change significantly in 3, as well as more tweaks to the system.

I'm only partway through 4 which I put down when I got distracted.

The Avadon thread might be a better place to look, there's plenty of non-Avadon Spiderweb game discussion in it too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
That reminds me, I never beat Avernum 2. It just dragged on a lot at one point and I could never find all of the...thingies. Whatever it was you needed to scour the world for.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Rascyc posted:

What's the challenge level on this game? I've never tried an Atelier game but the graphic style and characters have me interested. A handful of generic reviews on metascore basically just have an "Extremely Easy" label on it with no elaboration.

If you do get it, be careful about ranking up too fast, since then the quests you get to kill enemies will be nearly impossible and you're stuck doing alchemy to get money, which further skews your levels. It's very easy to become a thin glass cannon.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I've played the Exile trilogy, I've played all the Avernum games, I've played Avadon, and dear God it looks like I'll be playing the Avernum re-make too. Intelligent and overly friendly giant spiders, here I come! :v:

BTW, that looks like Phil Foglio art in the statistic descriptions. Neat.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I played the first 3 Exile games and the first 3 Avernum games. I could never really get in to Avernum 4. The new engine really annoyed me. I see the world map is back from those screen shots so I'm hoping it's closer to what it used to be. I think the remakes are kind of unnecessary though. Honestly the I feel graphics in the original trilogy are less ugly than any of the avernum games. I think I'll hold off on saying anything else and just hop over to the Avadon thread.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I bought Gothic 3 two or three years ago but only played it for a couple hours before I reformatted that computer. I was a huge fan of the first two Gothic games (I actually think I like the first one better since a number of cool areas in it are walled off in Gothic 2), but for some reason G3 just didn't pull me in like the others.

Cut to a few weeks ago when I was going over my finances and my jaw dropped when I saw how much I'd been paying Steam and iTunes over the past year. So I decided to give some games I already owned another try. Welcome back, Gothic 3.

It was rough going at first. I could kill orcs and humans with almost no effort- I could kill an entire camp of bandits without even getting below 50% health- but if a boar, lurker, or bloodfly took me by surprise I'd die within seconds. (FYI, the right-click, quick attack is much more effective on beasts than the stronger left-click attack.) But I was determined to give this game a chance, and by about my third play session I was officially hooked. There was also the matter of in-game politics. The people you need to talk to won't talk to you unless you've proven yourself- and you have to choose how to go about doing that, depending on where your allegiances lie.

Also, I've got to admit, console games, MMOs and modern RPGs have made me lazy. Gothic 3 has no mini map. It has no rails. The quest log is totally bare bones; it literally is just dialog transcripts between you and your questgiver. You can walk right into an area of mobs that will kill you with two hits. And the explorable world is HUGE compared to the first two games. I spent several real-time hours searching the landscape for Hungry Wolves and Shy Deer, and drat it felt good to finally track the last one of each down. You have to truly explore the world in order to progress.

It was hard for me to adjust from games like Dead Space where there your path is very tightly managed and the action ramps up at a steady, calculated pace. But really, I am so glad I stuck with it because I am enjoying the hell out of this game now. I'm siding with the rebels and I'm really enjoying the balance between trying to impress the Orcs/mercenaries and protecting the rebel spies and scouts.

Anyway, this is my recommendation of Gothic 3 for anyone who enjoyed the first two games, from someone who was overwhelmed by it the first time I attempted to play. It's slow-going at first, but it gets better once you start traveling between the cities. Like the previous Gothics, it's got its imperfections- the combat system is pretty lame. Despite all the supposed combos and tactics you are supposed to be able to do, you can get through the game simply by mashing the right mouse button for beasts and the left button for humanoids. You also have to do this weird stab move (hold down right button and then hold down left button while still holding down the right) on non-bandit humanoids when you want to make sure they're dead. Also, savegame loading times are painfully long.

All of the Gothics (and, I believe, their expansions) are available on Steam now. I've heard Gothic 4 isn't that great. I'm sure I'll get around to that one sometime.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011

rodbeard posted:

I played the first 3 Exile games and the first 3 Avernum games. I could never really get in to Avernum 4. The new engine really annoyed me. I see the world map is back from those screen shots so I'm hoping it's closer to what it used to be. I think the remakes are kind of unnecessary though. Honestly the I feel graphics in the original trilogy are less ugly than any of the avernum games. I think I'll hold off on saying anything else and just hop over to the Avadon thread.

I'm with you. I've always preferred the Exile games to the Avernum series for some reason. I guess I like the true top-down perspective a bit more, and the more keyboard-driven controls. I really couldn't stand the portraits in Avernum either. In the original Exiles you could even edit your PC's sprites in mspaint.

Another thing that's always bugged me about the newer Spiderweb games is how mouse-driven they are. I wish that the game would tell you how many AP you were about to spend before clicking a square, a-la the Fallout games.

That said, I love spiderweb and am compelled to buy Exile 3 all over again.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Radiapathy posted:

It was hard for me to adjust from games like Dead Space where there your path is very tightly managed and the action ramps up at a steady, calculated pace.

Well Dead Space isn't open world, it isn't even open, to be precise, but I see what you're saying. After playing all those games with quest marks, trails and what have you, going back to the lovely games with no hand-holding (not lovely because of no hand-holding, but lovely and having no hand-holding) whatsoever apart from telling you in which direction you should probably set off, is hard. I wonder what would be my opinion if I played them today for the first time :v:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Are there any JRPGs out there that have good puzzles? Most of them seem to be "move block into hole" and that's about it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Are there any JRPGs out there that have good puzzles? Most of them seem to be "move block into hole" and that's about it.

The original Lufia II is known for very challenging puzzles, and had a really great joke involving an incongruously simple block moving puzzle at one point.
I'd be curious to hear about any JRPG/WRPG that has them, I've kind of given up on video games having left-brain challenge.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The original Lufia II is known for very challenging puzzles, and had a really great joke involving an incongruously simple block moving puzzle at one point.
I'd be curious to hear about any JRPG/WRPG that has them, I've kind of given up on video games having left-brain challenge.
The World's Most Difficult Trick ughhhhh the memories..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmWEBN4elS8

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Wild ARMs games I've played doesn't have terribly bad ones, kind of Zelda-ey. Just stay far, far away from Wild ARMs 2 because its puzzles are ruined by its terrible translation.

Twiggy Johnson
Jun 10, 2011

Rascyc posted:

The World's Most Difficult Trick ughhhhh the memories..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmWEBN4elS8

It's been fifteen years, but I seem to remember there being a different puzzle that was more difficult. The puzzles were the only part of the game I played: my brother figured out early on that I was better with that sort of thing, so he'd just get me every time.

Also, that's a horrible solution video.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 1, 2014

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Crossposting from C&D, several RPG price drops on Amazon today.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP for $10.55
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride for DS for $16.97
White Knight Chronicles II for PS3 for $38.24
Nier for PS3 for $12.74
Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals for DS for $22.48
Phantom Brave: Heroes of the Hermuda Triangle for PSP for $11.24
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen for DS for $10.96
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light for DS for $12.74
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable for PSP for $19.22
Muramasa: The Demon Blade for Wii for $9.54
YS: The Oath In Felghana Limited Edition for PSP for $15.48
Ragnarok DS for $12.74
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter for DS for $17.13
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 Innocent Sin for PSP for $19.99
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky for PSP for $12.82

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
How was White Knight Chronicles II? Did they fix enough of the problems to make it fun?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
It's... average. It's not an EXCELLENT game, but it's middle of the road.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

This is by far the cheapest the game has been. A great JRPG without many of the genres trappings (good writing, no random encounters, you can retry every battle if you die, linear but with plenty of side quests). Recommended.

I'm considering this, but I'd rather have the digital version. Atlus has had 50% off Christmas sales two years in a row now, I think, so I'll probably hold off.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. :smug:

Oh wait that's not Japanese. Uuuuuh. There's the SMT games. It's mostly full of labyrinths, so if you consider those puzzles...

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Spuzzz posted:

How was White Knight Chronicles II? Did they fix enough of the problems to make it fun?

If you didn't like the first one, you won't like the second. They did get rid of some annoyances, but the same core problems are there.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Krad posted:

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. :smug:

It's a puzzle/rpg/strategy hybrid. One of those really weird games to classify.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So XSeed posted something... interesting on their facebook.

No idea if it's even a RPG but since they come up often in discussion here...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

iastudent posted:

It would be hilarious if they made a Cao Ni Ma RPG.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

XSeed announced their holiday sale today.

Also their puzzle from yesterday points to a... action-platformer about Japanese calligraphy? :psyduck:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

iastudent posted:

Also their puzzle from yesterday points to a... action-platformer about Japanese calligraphy? :psyduck:

It's actually not calligraphy per se, sumi-e is Japanese style ink paintings. From what I've seen of videos from it it appears like a sidescroller with a similar gimmick to Okami.

Video on its main site here.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

iastudent posted:

In a similar vein, Atlus USA has been posting clues for their next game on their facebook:

People are guessing either Growlanser 4 or Gungnir (Gungnir being Sting's fourth game in the Dept. Heaven series (Yggdra Union, Riviera, Knights in the Nightmare)). Hoping for the latter myself :)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Growlanser 4 isn't a PSP game as far as I know so that seems like a bad guess.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

Growlanser 4 isn't a PSP game as far as I know so that seems like a bad guess.

Growlanser 4: Over Reloaded was released on the PSP in Japan a few months ago.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Troffen posted:

Growlanser 4: Over Reloaded was released on the PSP in Japan a few months ago.

Huh. I love Growlanser so now I have my hopes up. Awesome.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Spuzzz posted:

Single-player is still a slog, but the rewards are worth it if you're in it for the multiplayer. They added about a hundred short sidequests called "Errands" that involve walking between certain NPCs or bringing them certain items that give mostly good rewards (certain ones even give new techniques to use), and Bounties that add a bunch of "unique" mini-bosses with excellent rewards. Combat is pretty much entirely different since it goes faster due to how they changed how the ATB bar fills and that almost all the special attacks to use MP instead of AC now. Party size is increased to 6 for the new quests introduced in WKC2, and the Avatar can get his own Knight you can customize and use online in the GR16+ WKC2 quests. The level cap is increased to 80 (rebirthing drops you to 60), Guild Ranks have been changed and now cap at 30 (for now), and it's pretty easy to get at least GR14 by doing errands and bounties in single-player.

Also, there's a multilevel post-game dungeon/series of quests that serves as the next chapter in the Avatar's story. It has 10 increasingly difficult floors culminating in an extremely hard superboss.

They also introduced unidentified items that can give you extremely good versions of weapons and armor that would otherwise be a pain in the rear end to craft and upgrade normally. It's pretty much the Best Thing.

If you decide to pick it up, PM me if you want to do something online. I've been looking for an excuse to get back into it since I took a break for the holiday game rush.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
As I recall, it also comes with the original with the new mechanics added. No idea about how the second one is, but the first has a major villain who is the bastard child between Master Shake and Snidely Whiplash, and is worth it entirely for that.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Miijhal posted:

As I recall, it also comes with the original with the new mechanics added. No idea about how the second one is, but the first has a major villain who is the bastard child between Master Shake and Snidely Whiplash, and is worth it entirely for that.

He's also in the second thanks to a dumb time travel aspect of the plot.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

"Bastard child between Master Shake and Snidely Whiplash" is the best description for the best villain in any Level-5 RPG.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Troffen posted:

In a similar vein, Atlus USA has been posting clues for their next game on their facebook:

People are guessing either Growlanser 4 or Gungnir (Gungnir being Sting's fourth game in the Dept. Heaven series (Yggdra Union, Riviera, Knights in the Nightmare)). Hoping for the latter myself :)

I've been hoping for an official "gPersona 4: The Goldenr" announcement personally. "gEtrian Odysseyr 4" would also be acceptable.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Troffen posted:

Gamestop went and spoiled the surprise, looks like it's going to be Gungnir. Of course, it's a little strange that all the clues so far apply to both games. It could be they're having a laugh at us and actually plan on announcing both.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Troffen posted:

It could be they're having a laugh at us and actually plan on announcing both.

vvv 100% official, it just came through in an Atlus email 'Can you guess our NEXT next new game?'.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 22, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Amazing.

That's an official image, right? Not a joke you made?

Jonathan Creek
Dec 9, 2009
Nope, it's official. Atlus were really trolling their fanbase trying to get both the Sting/Dept. Heaven fans and the Growlanser fans all worked up. And it was quite the sight!

That being said...it could be Golden: Persona, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Stelas posted:

Hahaha, those jackasses.