Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

Anyone know of any providers having holiday sales or something?

Cheapnews.eu has a 500gb block account for 32.95 Euros. A little cheaper than blocknews, but not quite the same retention. The code is winter2011

Their retention is at over 900 days. Blocknews is 1,196+ days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Searched back five or six pages and wasn't able to find an answer, and the Sickbeard forums don't seem to be particularly helpful on this one. I had Sickbeard running from an external hard drive (G:), but removed the drive after it failed. Everything is now working off of C:, but when I try to add new shows, it keeps defaulting back to the old G: directory. I can change it, but the setting resets every time I restart my computer.

Everything in settings seems to default to the C: drive, so I can't figure out why the configuration settings don't persist.

\/\/\/\/\/ I know that much. The problem is that it resets every time I restart the program (e.g., when I turn my computer on in the morning).

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 24, 2011

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Home, Add Shows, Add Existing Shows, Manage Directories. It should be in Config somewhere, but it isn't.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

The Modern Leper posted:

\/\/\/\/\/ I know that much. The problem is that it resets every time I restart the program (e.g., when I turn my computer on in the morning).

That sounds like a permissions issue, like not being able to save the config file in /program files/. Try exiting the process through the task manager, then starting it up manually as administrator. Make your config changes, then reboot the computer and see if they stick.

BooDaa
Apr 15, 2004

Mthrboard posted:

What is your naming pattern for when it moves files? Do you have the <cd> or <cdNr> option in there? I've never had a problem with it copying multiple-disc movies. The pattern I use is: <thename><cd>.<ext>

If that's not it, check the log file for when it tries to move the movie. Maybe something in there will shed more light on the situation.

I just had <thename>.<ext> so I added the <cd> and I think it's working ok now. Thanks for the help.

hammeritme
Oct 28, 2002

I like the cut of your jib
So which indexer is regarded as the best nowadays? I've been with Newzbin for several years (started with the old group, got carried into Newzbin2) and never bothered with any alternatives. I do some pretty basic searching/downloading of nzbs, nothing complicated and I'd like to keep it simple.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

http://nzb.su finds most of my stuff. NZBMatrix and Newzbin find the rest. Caveat: I do no manual searching at all.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Just checked through my SickBeard history. Nearly EVERYTHING has been coming through the SB index. Looks like 90% through SB Index, 5% nzb.su, 5% nzbs.org.

If you haven't enabled SickBeard Index, do it.

For manually searching for poo poo, I go to NZBs.org first but NZB.su is just as good. For raw-mode searching, Mysterbin.com is pretty good.

As for Newzbin, it's really hard to justify a recurring cost for an indexer these days. It was one thing years back when Newzbin was basically the only shop in town, but nowadays there are so many perfectly good free options out there that it doesn't make sense to bother with Newzbin, especially since their retention is so comparatively crap. I mean, didn't they just expand past 200 days of retention?

Between court-mandated filters (which may have been lifted by now, I honestly haven't kept up), recurring fees, crap retention and a pretty large variety of free alternatives, there's no point sticking with Newzbin now unless you're too lazy to look elsewhere.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

inpheaux posted:

I mean, didn't they just expand past 200 days of retention?
I don't think so, I used them like a year ago and it wasn't so bad. 720 days at the moment.

I use Binsearch and NZBIndex, recently NZBMatrix proved to be useful where others did not, but it costs some money.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

inpheaux posted:

If you haven't enabled SickBeard Index, do it.

What's better about it? I have it enabled but looking at my history only one thing has come from there and the rest all comes through nzbs.org or nzb.su...

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

inpheaux posted:

For raw-mode searching, Mysterbin.com is pretty good.

This site is fantastic, it indexes posts together instead of making you awkwardly clicking 30 things or hunting for a nzb like you have to do on newzbin.

I guess I really don't have a reason to keep a newzbin account anymore, the raw mode searches were really the only reason I used newzbin over nzbs.org

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

What's better about it? I have it enabled but looking at my history only one thing has come from there and the rest all comes through nzbs.org or nzb.su...
Free, Zero configuration, no limitations on api hits per day, etc. Try moving it as the top priority indexer and see what happens.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've had the Sickbeard index as my top priority indexer since it launched, and probably 80-90% of my hits are from there, with the rest split between nzb.su and nzbs.org. I haven't used Newzbin since the whole shutdown thing, if I ever need to do a raw search, binsearch.info is good enough. I use nzb.su solely for API hits, nzbs.org is always my first stop for a manual search.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Thermopyle posted:

Is there any goon trickeration on accessing NZBS.org or does anyone have any idea of the next time registration will open?

tofufish
Jan 3, 2007
:D
The main site will never open for registrations in its current form. There is currently a beta which may someday be open, but don't get your hopes up. NZB.su runs off newznab so they're basically the same.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
This may be a dumb question, but I'm a new sickbeard user and I have a few shows on the list with brand new episodes that are now 'wanted' since they've aired recently. I've been watching the console and it doesn't seem to be trying to grab those.. is this a known bug? Should I go ahead and just download them manually?

I guess what I'm saying is I've yet to see sickbeard actually grab a new episode from a show that aired something recently, one because its a fairly new install (1 week) and two because most shows have ended their seasons.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Those shows are in your Backlog, which is searched once a week by default. You can manually start a backlog search if you don't want to wait.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

EC posted:

Those shows are in your Backlog, which is searched once a week by default. You can manually start a backlog search if you don't want to wait.

I kicked off the backlog search (or so I thought) by going to Manage->Backlog Overview, and then clicking "force backlog" for those two episodes. They are still set to "wanted" and aren't being snatched. Anything I can do, or is there a way I can see if the indexes that SB is using even have these episodes avail?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

dhrusis posted:

I kicked off the backlog search (or so I thought) by going to Manage->Backlog Overview, and then clicking "force backlog" for those two episodes. They are still set to "wanted" and aren't being snatched. Anything I can do, or is there a way I can see if the indexes that SB is using even have these episodes avail?

Did you set up any search providers in the settings? Make sure Sick Beard Indexer is checked and move it to the top, then if you have accounts at any of the listed providers, add the login/api details for those. While you're at it, try to manually grab the episodes in Sickbeard (the magnifying glass icon next to each episode) and see what it says. Check your log for any important information you might be overlooking.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Did you set up any search providers in the settings? Make sure Sick Beard Indexer is checked and move it to the top, then if you have accounts at any of the listed providers, add the login/api details for those. While you're at it, try to manually grab the episodes in Sickbeard (the magnifying glass icon next to each episode) and see what it says. Check your log for any important information you might be overlooking.

Yup! Search providers are set up. Sickbeard Index, NZB.su, and Wobble' in that order. Interestingly enough, if I search manually for this show in the Nzb.su web interface , the last episode shows up. There is no magnifiying glass by the show listing in sickbeard, for some reason, so I can't manually search for it. The other show has a magnifying glass, but still doesn't show up, even though I can also find it in nzb.su. I know you aren't sickbeard support, so I can post this on their forums, just didn't know if I was making a dumb error or not.

dhrusis fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 29, 2011

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

Lowclock posted:

I've been running into a lot of unrepairable archives on Astraweb for stuff that indexers report as good. Is SuperNews good these days? It would save me like a buck a month as well.

I have a subscription to Usenetserver (Astraweb reseller), and to hopefully cut down on the number of failed downloads I decided to sign up for another provider. I went with Supernews. Unfortunately they are an astraweb reseller as well. Perhaps we can get the OP updated accordingly?

I caught it just minutes after signing up for a year contract on supernews, I hope they will let me cancel and get a refund :ohdear:

EDIT: On further investigation I may not have any idea what I am talking about. They just responded to my support request saying they aren't an astraweb reseller. Never mind, move along.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

dhrusis posted:

Yup! Search providers are set up. Sickbeard Index, NZB.su, and Wobble' in that order. Interestingly enough, if I search manually for this show in the Nzb.su web interface , the last episode shows up. There is no magnifiying glass by the show listing in sickbeard, for some reason, so I can't manually search for it. The other show has a magnifying glass, but still doesn't show up, even though I can also find it in nzb.su. I know you aren't sickbeard support, so I can post this on their forums, just didn't know if I was making a dumb error or not.

I would delete the show and re-add it, making sure you choose the appropriate directories during that process. Also make sure the quality setting is set to something that actually exists on the indexer (if you've set it to HD and it can only find SD, it won't find anything).

Also, check the logs and see if that tells you anything. If the manual search for something that you know exists fails, it's usually a problem in your provider settings or quality settings.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

EC posted:

I would delete the show and re-add it, making sure you choose the appropriate directories during that process. Also make sure the quality setting is set to something that actually exists on the indexer (if you've set it to HD and it can only find SD, it won't find anything).

Also, check the logs and see if that tells you anything. If the manual search for something that you know exists fails, it's usually a problem in your provider settings or quality settings.

Thanks everyone for the help.. it looks like for one of the shows, since it was a "Special" Sickb was confusing it with the next episode or something... it snatched it but it put it in the wrong category. I don't know the solution to this issue since it must be a systematic issue with the TVDB, so I'm not going to worry about it.

For the other, it wasn't in HD like it was scanning for...Changed that and it snatched immediately.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah, the scene that names stuff on the indexing sites and the TVDB can just completely not match each other sometimes, which makes it a pain to search for specials and one-offs that aren't in the normal season runs. For those, I just search manually, turn off the SABtoSickbeard script, then rename the file to what Sickbeard/TVDB thinks it is after downloading, and finally run Sickbeard's manual post-processing to get everything renamed. You can then adjust the <displayseason> and <displayepisode> tags in the nfo file if you want it to appear in a specific spot in XBMC.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Treytor posted:

EDIT: On further investigation I may not have any idea what I am talking about.
Read the OP. This is all explained there. But hey, let's explain it again!

Highwinds service is sold as UsenetServer, Newshosting, Easynews, Eweka, and nearly every no-name budget brand out there, because Highwinds has a massive reseller program.

Giganews service is sold as Giganews and Supernews.

Astraweb service is sold as Astraweb, no one else.

BlockNews service is sold as Blocknews, UsenetNow and FrugalUsenet.

If you're having completion problems, supplement your unlimited provider of choice (all four major feeds have their own unlimited provider or option) with a block provider from another feed.

So, Supernews + Astraweb Block, UNS + Astraweb Block, Astraweb + Blocknews block, UsenetNow + Astraweb Block, etc etc.

Astraweb and Blocknews are the big-name providers of non-expiring blocks, but I'm sure if you went hunting long enough you'd find a Highwinds reseller that does blocks. (but it probably wouldn't be worth it)

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!

inpheaux posted:

If you're having completion problems, supplement your unlimited provider of choice (all four major feeds have their own unlimited provider or option) with a block provider from another feed.

I was getting a lot of failed downloads so I set this up.
Astraweb unlimited + Blocknews 100gb

I'm still getting failures. The errors I'm getting are:

Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (10 short)
Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (120 short)

Invalid par2 files, cannot verify or repair
Trying SFV verification
Some files failed to verify

Unpacking failed, these file(s) are missing

Are these errors caused by a lack of completion or something else?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Have you tried manually running a par program against the files? Sometime SAB will fail because it uses the par files for the sample as opposed to the actual file.

Copernico
Feb 26, 2011
Finally got around to installing sab on my WD Mybook Live network drive and spent a good amount of my evening getting a working daemon script[I love you Linux]. I'm getting speeds I never thought I was capable of getting with Usenet. I was content with maxing out my usual wireless speeds but this is a surprising revelation just the same.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Has something happened to NZB.su ? I can't log in there.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Has something happened to NZB.su ? I can't log in there.

This got posted a while ago on the front page:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ah ok, thank you. I used a disposable email when I signed up.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Is there a VPN thread? I'm thinking about doing the giganews diamond plan with the VPN, but wondering if there's a cheaper/better way to get a good usenet provider and vpn...

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Tutu posted:

Is there a VPN thread? I'm thinking about doing the giganews diamond plan with the VPN, but wondering if there's a cheaper/better way to get a good usenet provider and vpn...

Why do you feel a vpn is better/necessary than just straight SSL?

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

KennyG posted:

Why do you feel a vpn is better/necessary than just straight SSL?

For just usenet it probably isn't, but if I'm signing up for a monthly usenet fee I may as well go a step further and get a vpn to encrypt all my data, avoid throttling and not be region locked from various things on the internet. I'm not sure how much I would actually use usenet though so I'm just looking at options at the moment.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yes but a VPN would send all of your traffic through that tunnel, while SSL usenet only uses SSL for that connection.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Tutu posted:

For just usenet it probably isn't, but if I'm signing up for a monthly usenet fee I may as well go a step further and get a vpn to encrypt all my data, avoid throttling and not be region locked from various things on the internet. I'm not sure how much I would actually use usenet though so I'm just looking at options at the moment.

Do you trust the shared VPN endpoint enough for your banking/paypal/SA login/email logins?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I would only do this if I were really running into the throttling or region-locking. SSL encrypts your Usenet traffic and I'm never uploading. Think about what you're protecting and from whom you're protecting it: is it really worth spending money? If I were truly paranoid about someone monitoring my entire traffic stream, I'd get a seedbox.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Fair enough, I'll probably just go with Supernews and SSL then. Thanks for the help!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm clearing out room on my WHS box that runs SAB, and noticed I've got about a gig of space taken up by the "cache" folder. Is it safe to delete this, or should I leave it alone? A gig is a lot when I've only got 20gb on the system partition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

EC posted:

I'm clearing out room on my WHS box that runs SAB, and noticed I've got about a gig of space taken up by the "cache" folder. Is it safe to delete this, or should I leave it alone? A gig is a lot when I've only got 20gb on the system partition.

As long as you have nothing in your queue, delete it. I don't think SAB 0.6 even uses the cache folder anymore, at least not for downloads. Shypike says create folders on D:\