Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
So, is there a working link to the DMCA Takedown notice? Chillingeffect still doesn't have it available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011
In our group, we have all the books also, granted I dont own all of them but our group as a Whole has all of them.. I appreciate the use of the builder and its ease to manipulate the rules. I do agree if you are working strictly by the rules then having a builder that fits that bill is a nice thing to have, but it can be manipulated to accommodate that need.

All of the updates that are in the CB I dont use so I make my own overwrite personal files to change it. It works for me and that is an option for those that need a builder set a certain way.

Anyways my own 2 cents : )

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Tivaan posted:

All of the updates that are in the CB I dont use so I make my own overwrite personal files to change it. It works for me and that is an option for those that need a builder set a certain way.

Indeed. I do the same thing. However, that point shows why you can't count on the builder to tell you if a character is legal or not. Anyone can make the builder say their character is legal. :) The only way you will know for certain is if you put your human eyes on the character sheet. That is what DMs are for after all. :)

Psych0M0nk3y posted:

Forgotten Realms is owned by Wizards. Living Forgotten Realms is a separate entity using a licensed product.

That is not correct sir. All you need to do is check out the language on any LFR module and see for yourself. LFR is not separate from WOTC. It is written in pretty plain English on every single Living Forgotten Realms adventure module. Check it out. The only distinction they made recently was that rules elements of these modules weren't up to their quality standards (I don't agree with that but that came from WOTC). That is why they purposefully removed LFR elements from the DDI. Which really sucked because these elements weren't necessarily any better or worse than the stuff found in Dragon Magazine and we lost quite a bit of monsters from the Adventure Tools over it.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
Question: Is Alchemist's Essense from Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium not in the builder yet? It should be an alchemical formula, but I don't see it in there.

Also, the various Alchemy formulas list the alchemical item as Uncommon but most of them are listed as common in the Rules Compendium online. Just thought I would point that out.

J.B.
Jul 23, 2011
Not sure who made em, but the backgrounds from "Neverwinter Campaign Setting" still aren't working. They don't give any of the abilites or access to any of the utility powers they are supposed to.

The only exception are the backgrounds that were re-skinned in dragon #405 for the sake of fluff (i.e. Darkwalker Kin = Pack Outcast, Iltyanbruen Guardian = Knight of Synnoria, Uthgardt Barbarian = Northlander Reaver). Backgrounds like "Dead Rat Deserter" or "Devil's Pawn" don't seem to work, which is sad cuz i really wanted a were-rat thief.

J.B. fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 23, 2011

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

J.B. posted:

Not sure who made em, but the backgrounds from "Neverwinter Campaign Setting" still aren't working. They don't give any of the abilites or access to any of the utility powers they are supposed to.

The only exception are the backgrounds that were re-skinned in dragon #405 for the sake of fluff (i.e. Darkwalker Kin = Pack Outcast, Iltyanbruen Guardian = Knight of Synnoria, Uthgardt Barbarian = Northlander Reaver). Backgrounds like "Dead Rat Deserter" or "Devil's Pawn" don't seem to work, which is sad cuz i really wanted a were-rat thief.

I am unable to reproduce your error. Also, please be more specific - do you mean the Dead Rat Deserter theme or the Dead Rat Deserter background? Either way, both work on my end. Clean up your part files (by either deleting them and the combined .main file) or by running the clean up program and re-download the .part files through the index. Sounds like you got a bad theme .part file.

J.B.
Jul 23, 2011
Sorry, I did mean "theme" not backgrounds. Also, I did do a clean up of the .part files, but I still have the same problem.

This is the exact problem Im having;
When I chose a "Neverwinter Campaign Setting" theme (i.e. Pack Outcast, Devil's Pawn, Dead Rat Deserter, etc) none of the base abilities from that theme show in either the "powers" tab of the Character Builder or on the character sheet. Even the area that displays the abilities of the theme (in the "background" tab of the character builder) only shows something like this;

Dead Rat Deserter
Class Prerequisite: none
Many members of the dead rats are rogues.
Race Prerequisite: Human, Half Elf, or Halfling
Dead Rat Deserter Utility Power
"Me betray the gang?" I said. Then the steel came out and I barely made it away with my skin.
You gain the body of the rat utility power.

and thats it. No powers or other abilities are actually shown. Yet the utility powers the theme grants are still available.

However, If I chose one of the themes that were redone in dragon #405 (such as the "Darkwalker Kin" or "Northlander Reaver") everything works fine (base powers, utility powers, skill bonuses, etc).

J.B. fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 23, 2011

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Undrhil posted:

Question: Is Alchemist's Essense from Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium not in the builder yet? It should be an alchemical formula, but I don't see it in there.

Also, the various Alchemy formulas list the alchemical item as Uncommon but most of them are listed as common in the Rules Compendium online. Just thought I would point that out.
I looked around and didn't find them so yes they are missing. All alchemical items that were reprinted in MME that originated in Adventurer's Vault would be listed as Uncommon unless it was manually fixed later. Likely this is the case with the items you were looking at. There is a ton of stuff that needs to be looked into.

I am hoping to get some time over the next few days to do some patching. Wish me some luck and look for frequent updates if everything goes as planned. This weekend should be slow for actual game sessions. :)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

J.B. posted:

Sorry, I did mean "theme" not backgrounds. Also, I did do a clean up of the .part files, but I still have the same problem.

When I chose a "Neverwinter Campaign Setting" theme (i.e. Pack Outcast, Devil's Pawn, Dead Rat Deserter, etc) none of the base abilities from that theme show in either the "powers" tab of the Character Builder or on the character sheet. Even the area that displays the abilities of the theme (in the "background" tab of the character builder) only shows something like this;

Dead Rat Deserter
Class Prerequisite: none
Many members of the dead rats are rogues.
Race Prerequisite: Human, Half Elf, or Halfling
Dead Rat Deserter Utility Power
"Me betray the gang?" I said. Then the steel came out and I barely made it away with my skin.
You gain the body of the rat utility power.

and thats it. No powers or other abilities are actually shown. Yet the utility powers the theme grants are still available.

However, If I chose one of the themes that were redone in dragon #405 (such as the "Darkwalker Kin" or "Northlander Reaver") everything works fine (base powers, utility powers, skill bonuses, etc).

Once again, I am unable to reproduce your error. I am seeing all starting powers and 2, 6, and 10 level utility choices on Dead Rat Deserter, Devil's Pawn, Pack Outcast, etc. In addition, I'm seeing far more text between ""Me betray the gang?" I said. Then the steel came out and I barely made it away with my skin." and "You gain the body of the rat utility power." than what you've reproduced above for the Dead Rat Deserter, if that if what you see when you click on the Dead Rat Deserter Theme.

As well, Create a new character from scratch, and see if the Themes are still broken. If you gently caress around too much with a single character, changing class from and essentials variant to a non-essentials, and vice versa, bad things can happen to that specific character.

Report back.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
Also, J B .. do you have any third-party or home-brew .part files installed? You might want to try removing those and leave just the Wizard .part files and see what happens.

I can tell you for sure the Devil's Pawn theme works since my Fighter has it and it prints the Hellfire and Brimstone power on my character sheet, no problem.

Good luck...

EDIT: Also, with the CBLoader page taken down, does that mean updates are going to stop? Oh, wait. Just saw Grayhawk's post. That's awesome. I know at least one guy in my LFR group thought this was the end of the CBLoader. I'll be glad to set him straight. :)

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 24, 2011

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Undrhil posted:

Also, with the CBLoader page taken down, does that mean updates are going to stop?

Hey. My response post was just ate in my browser so the short version is that we don't know what will happen. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. You can read this if you want: Bane of the D&D Blogger? I recommend keeping your poo poo backed up if you are prone to viruses or the like. I don't really want to talk about this crap any more because it pisses me off.

Have a good holiday.

PS: I pushed an update to fix an ID conflict between pixies and homebrew skeletons. If you are using a version of the TGWiki document without updateinfo you will want to grab the new one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

J.B. posted:

When I chose a "Neverwinter Campaign Setting" theme (i.e. Pack Outcast, Devil's Pawn, Dead Rat Deserter, etc) none of the base abilities from that theme show in either the "powers" tab of the Character Builder or on the character sheet.
I remember something similar happened to me when I had both themes.part and the .part files for only Dragon #399 and Dark Sun in my custom folder. Maybe you've got some similar redundancies going on.

Entilzha4
Feb 17, 2011

Greyhawk Fan posted:

I don't really want to talk about this crap any more because it pisses me off.

I hear ya Greyhawk, it pisses me off too.

In fact, so much so, and given the fact that my regular D&D group has more or less dissolved, I'm probably going to just switch over to playing Pathfinder instead; specifically, Pathfinder Society (equivalent for Living Forgotten Realms).

This doesn't mean I'll be giving up 4E entirely, but I won't be looking at it often for the next while.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Apparently the Order Adept has received stealth errata - the level 5 feature now only allows you to select from level 2 wizard utilities.

As well, most (if not all) of the themes that grant an unconditional bonus to skills have had their suppression of the character sheet removed. No idea why, and unless someone has strong objections to this, I'll just clean that up off the character sheet.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Apparently the Order Adept has received stealth errata - the level 5 feature now only allows you to select from level 2 wizard utilities.

As well, most (if not all) of the themes that grant an unconditional bonus to skills have had their suppression of the character sheet removed. No idea why, and unless someone has strong objections to this, I'll just clean that up off the character sheet.

Doing a big theme upgrade at the moment. :) All BOVD themes now available.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Greyhawk Fan posted:

Doing a big theme upgrade at the moment. :) All BOVD themes now available.

Thanks boss!

EDIT: Greyhawk, if you could be so kind, you don't need to include:

code:
    <specific name="Prerequisite"> Cultist </specific>
or whatever the specific theme requirement is - the
code:
    <Prereqs> ID_FMP_THEME_923 </Prereqs>
line takes care of that, and it doesn't clutter up the power card either.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 25, 2011

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Thanks boss!

EDIT: Greyhawk, if you could be so kind, you don't need to include:

code:
    <specific name="Prerequisite"> Cultist </specific>
or whatever the specific theme requirement is - the
code:
    <Prereqs> ID_FMP_THEME_923 </Prereqs>
line takes care of that, and it doesn't clutter up the power card either.

Aye, I know. :) That code junk was bonus. I can do a global removal of that stuff in a minute.
edit: OK, I removed that crap from all themes in the file. Also removed all "_DisplayName" references since they don't do poo poo and all blank lines as well.

Greyhawk Fan fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 25, 2011

J.B.
Jul 23, 2011
AH HA! Guys thanks for your help. Undrhil's suggestion fixed the problem. Somehow an extra "Gates of Neverdeath" .part file made its way into my custom .part file folder and was causing the error. Everything seems to be working great now.

Thanks again guys :)

J.B. fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 25, 2011

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Archery Mastery feat doesn't seem to have a ranger class prerequisite in the compendium, whereas it does in the CB. Which one is correct?

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011
Hey Greyhawk

here is a little something for you to review and add (Players book done and on sinister items in DM at the moment)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27143905/Book%20of%20Vile%20Darkness.zip

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Tivaan posted:

Hey Greyhawk

here is a little something for you to review and add (Players book done and on sinister items in DM at the moment)

Excellent, I will check it out. Already have all the themes, feats, and backgrounds added but I am sure there is more good stuff in here.
edit:
Added the rest of the Paragon Paths. Hopefully I didn't mangle your neat Quasit code too much when I matched it up with FMP numbers.

eXXon posted:

The Archery Mastery feat doesn't seem to have a ranger class prerequisite in the compendium, whereas it does in the CB. Which one is correct?
I took a look at this feat. Technically the prerequisite is "Any ranger at-will attack power that has a level." Usually this means you are a ranger or ranger hybrid. What kind of problem are you having selecting this feat?

Greyhawk Fan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 25, 2011

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Quick Bug: Half-Elves shouldn't(?) be allowed to select human or elf racial Powers (they can select human or elf racial feats, as per their Dual Heritage Racial Trait).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The way that racial trait works in the CB means they qualify for anything that has human or elf as a prerequisite, even though Dual Heritage only covers feats, as it very explicitly states.

I came up with a fix for this some time ago that I've since been using on my end. Instead of granting ID_INTERNAL_COUNTSASRACE_ELF, the racial trait instead grants a "QualifiesForElfRace" category (replace with human etc. as appropriate, obviously) which must be added as an additional prerequisite to every feat the half-elf is supposed to qualify for through Dual Heritage. (E.g., the internal prerequisite for Light Step has to read "Elf or QualifiesForElfFeats".)

This does mean that virtually every feat with human or elf as a prerequisite has to be modified (personally I skipped those that affected Elven Accuracy, but that technically doesn't adhere to RAW), and while it was an hour or so of work when I did, it was by no means an insurmountable task. This same procedure can be used to make the mul's Born of Two Races racial trait work as intended, too. Of course, every feat that's newly added to the CB would have to receive the same treatment, though actually doing that is probably less of an issue than remembering to do so in the first place.

A quick fix to address the utility power issue in particular would involve specifically excluding half-elves in the powers' prerequisites, I suppose.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

The way that racial trait works in the CB means they qualify for anything that has human or elf as a prerequisite, even though Dual Heritage only covers feats, as it very explicitly states.
I am pretty sure we discussed this before. And like you say the the fix is a lot more trouble than it is worth. I believe that the reason the half-elf trait says what it says is because at that point in 4E design there was no such thing as selectable "elven" racial powers.

When Wizards coded the builder they choose to allow half-elfs to take everything an elf can. I am sure a lot of people play it this way while it is likely technically incorrect.

That is why I am always saying you need to check with your Dungeon Master and see if he approves of your character. I don't really want to fix it since there is a poo poo ton of hosed up poo poo that is currently in the builder that deserves the time more. Besides a lot of people play that way (even if it is wrong) but I am not their Dungeon Master. Their DM should have them fix their dudes.

The Mordenkainen's stuff is in a terrible state in the builder. I have been doing all kinds of spot fixes and I am finding gear, feats, and game rules in the magic item files. In the magic item files? What the heck. Gear goes in gear, feats in feats, etc. I tried some simple moving and it crashed the builder. So that is going to take a lot of work to get the new armor feats working correctly. There is also now over 400 appendnodes in the main files! OMG. And in main different files. There was zero appendnodes in July. Appendnodes is a great tool for home-brew modifications but they are terrible for adding important bits to main rule items. Moving them around can cause the Appendnodes to be completely ignored. And a lot of this stuff needs to be moved.

As far as the half-elven stuff goes I think it might be a nice idea to have an optional part file that runs after the main files to introduce a more strict version of those rules for half-elves, muls, half-orcs, etc. Especially if you already have a file like that. :) But I am not concerned about it now. Still have tons of cleaning to do before I can get a lot of the fixes worked on.

Happy Holidays.
---
EDIT:
Has "Battle Song Expertise" feat been recanted? Got a complaint about it but I can't find any real information on it beside an old playtest article.

Greyhawk Fan fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 26, 2011

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Getting an error saying Inner Exception: Unexpected end of file while parsing Name has occurred. Line 2203, position 7.

And now I can't get the program to load. Any idea what is wrong? It is version 1.3.0 and should be up to date on the wizard's all auto load.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

Getting an error saying Inner Exception: Unexpected end of file while parsing Name has occurred. Line 2203, position 7.

And now I can't get the program to load. Any idea what is wrong? It is version 1.3.0 and should be up to date on the wizard's all auto load.

You likely had an Internet download disrupted while a new version of one of the many part files was downloading. To fix this you delete all your part files but keep your index files. When you restart new copies of the part files will download and hopefully will be complete this time through.

EDIT:
Awakened Potential August 2011 Rules Update (Potential Code)

Psionic Code Dudes, check out the pastebin snippet as it relates to the new version of the Awakened Potential feat. Is this what we need?

Greyhawk Fan fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 26, 2011

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
There is a new version of Awakened Potential? I don't see a rules update for it on the Wizards website. Where did it come from?

Also, there is a new article up on D&Di which gives Binders a new pact: Fey Pact! Yay! :)

http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dra/darkfey

Edit: Weird. I don't remember seeing that in the September update but oh well.

I guess my "fix" for the original version won't work anymore since it doesn't do anything for the multiclass part.

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 26, 2011

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011
Here is another piece of code for you Greyhawk

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27143905/WotC%20Dragon%20Magazine%20406.zip

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Tivaan posted:

Here is another piece of code for you Greyhawk

Awesome man. Thanks. I will get on this.

I just fixed the "Divine Resurgence" Devout Warpriest feature. Sorry it took a year to notice it but it was a wotc caused non-crash conflict so very hard to detect. So 11th level and higher Devout Warpiests will now get a power card for their bad rear end "Divine Resurgence" power.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Some kickass homebrew poo poo you guys might like.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/28782805/New_and_Expanded_Subraces

These kinda kick rear end while being pretty well balanced.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
Just wondering if anyone has figured out (or worked on) the problem with the Bladesinger's Guarded Flourish not working properly? Currently, if I try to equip a wand in my off-hand, I lose my shield bonus to AC and Reflex, but I should be able to equip a wand, just not another melee weapon or a shield.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
It seems that the [ranged weapon] of Speed doesn't properly add the Initiative bonus that its property suggests. Other weapons that grant the same effect (such as Hidden Weapon) do add the bonus directly to your Initiative number under HP and Speed on the left side of the builder, as well as the character sheet, but when I try equipping a Hand Crossbow of Speed I get nothing. It does make a small note on the character sheet under conditional modifiers, but doesn't actually add the +X when holding it.

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011
Greyhawk here is the finished Book of Vile darkness code

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27143905/Book%20of%20Vile%20Darkness.zip

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011

Undrhil posted:

Also, there is a new article up on D&Di which gives Binders a new pact: Fey Pact! Yay! :)

I would build it but I know nothing about Warlocks. I don't know if the powers are granted, picked by all warlocks, etc. So I'm leaving that one alone, sorry. Rather leave it alone then make a complete fool of myself trying to create something I have never looked at.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Tivaan posted:

I would build it but I know nothing about Warlocks. I don't know if the powers are granted, picked by all warlocks, etc. So I'm leaving that one alone, sorry. Rather leave it alone then make a complete fool of myself trying to create something I have never looked at.

Tivaan thanks for the BOVD update. If I can get some time I will look into the new warlock pact. Binders work a little different from normal warlocks but not much. I have to read over the Binder again first as well.

EDIT:
New Binder Pact is uploaded. Check it out folks and report any issues. Some of the language is questionable in the article and I bet the final article will get some tweaks. Also fixed the conflict for Shadow Twist. I may have made a typo or something. Just let me know.

Greyhawk Fan fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 29, 2011

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011

Greyhawk Fan posted:

Tivaan thanks for the BOVD update. If I can get some time I will look into the new warlock pact. Binders work a little different from normal warlocks but not much. I have to read over the Binder again first as well.

EDIT:
New Binder Pact is uploaded. Check it out folks and report any issues. Some of the language is questionable in the article and I bet the final article will get some tweaks. Also fixed the conflict for Shadow Twist. I may have made a typo or something. Just let me know.

Thanks Greyhawk

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Hey, moderately obscure quirk. I'm looking at the feat Archery Mastery and while I can select it and choose the Expert Archer feature I'd like for my Ranger, the selection doesn't seem to actually do anything; the feature doesn't show up on my character sheet and the at-will power isn't removed.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

Hey, moderately obscure quirk. I'm looking at the feat Archery Mastery and while I can select it and choose the Expert Archer feature I'd like for my Ranger, the selection doesn't seem to actually do anything; the feature doesn't show up on my character sheet and the at-will power isn't removed.

Once you have selected the Archery Mastery feat and chosen which power you want to gain, go into the retraining tab, select the level at which you took the feat, and then choose which at-will to replace. In the list of replacement powers, you will see the Archery Mastery power listed. Select it as you would any other retraining option.

Alternatively, if you took that feat at level 1, you can just choose the Archery Mastery power instead of one of your at-will powers.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
This is also how things like Secrets of Belial work, which as a Tiefling junkie confused me quite a bit till I figured it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Greyhawk Fan posted:

I took a look at this feat. Technically the prerequisite is "Any ranger at-will attack power that has a level." Usually this means you are a ranger or ranger hybrid. What kind of problem are you having selecting this feat?

Well, you can get a ranger at-will with half-elf/versatile master without being a ranger at all. It doesn't let you pick the feat without actually being a ranger, though.

It was mostly a dumb charop exercise that nobody would ever play anyways. I was wondering how that feat would work with a multi-target ranged basic like divine bolts + power of skill and decided that your DM would probably just hate you.

• Locked thread