Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Something I made back in a 2004 photoshop phriday thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Interesting bio for the actor who played the cop:

Birth Name
William Bryan Jennings Jr.

Nickname
Bill

Mini Biography

Attended TCU (Texas Christian University) and SMU (Southern Methodist University) law school. US Navy aviator, Pacific, World War Two (flew a Kingfisher). Married Polly Gean of Fort Worth, Texas. Three children. 32nd degree Mason. Career attorney: Assistant D.A. in El Paso, Texas, title attorney for local law firm in Dallas-Fort Worth until retirement. Appeared in numerous community theatre and local professional theatre productions (e.g., Casa Manana Theatre), as well as Opera. Solo singer for local churches. Youngest son is actor Benton Jennings.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Egbert Souse posted:

The prospect of reconstructing the soundtrack from the original recordings sounds interesting. A lot of restorations tend to resort to worn prints as a sound source, even when the original negative is used for the picture.

While I don't know exactly what we'll find (Joe's apparently got plenty of film cans but they aren't all well-labeled) I'm optimistic. We can at least compare his materials and mine to come up with the best audio source possible.

Greasyfries posted:

While you're at it, could you confirm with Joe Warren whether or not that Torgo Lives kook actually did end up with the original camera reversal of the film?

Rupert doesn't own any film himself, but he made a deal for rights to use some of Joe's materials and outtakes in his special edition. From what I can tell Joe has the 35mm blow up internegative which should be an okay source of video if it hasn't faded, but it's likely to still be cropped. His outtakes, if they aren't duped, would be on original Ektachrome like my materials. They are planning to redo the entire soundtrack with new music (by Rupert), foley, and voice actors.

Armyman25 posted:

Interesting bio for the actor who played the cop:
William Bryan Jennings Jr.

By all accounts he also did the legal paperwork for Manos.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
How did I not find this thread sooner? I'm in CD every couple of days and I didn't find this thread until today?

Great job you're doing Ben Solo, I only vaguely remember Manos from watching the MST3K episode some 14 years ago. The scans you posted are like night and day, and being able to see those frames uncropped alone make it look like a much different film.

As for the copyright issues on your "new" version, I'd think that since you mentioned that you'd have to redo all the wipes and transitions, you should be able to prevent a straight 1:1 copy of your version being used by toolbags like the "special edition" crybabby.

The prospect of alternate audio tracks has me drooling though. I'm hoping you'll be able to find the originals or good quality near originals. Remstered mix, original mix, music only, dialog only, famous fan commentary, ebert commentary, the list just goes on. All I ask is that if you end up creating an alternate new dub, make it as faithful as possible to the original, and get some actual talented voice actors on board.

Like a few others have mentioned, I'm not so much interested in Manos itself as the restoration process, and seeing something that has always looked terrible in crystal clarity for the first time ever.

Count me in as someone who will buy at least one copy when it's available, and if I get a bonus next month, I'd be glad to send some of it your way.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Now that I have a job, count me in for a copy.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Ben, I know you must be looking primarily towards the american market, but Arrow Films in England has been publishing a lot of classic italian horror and american B-movies from the 70's and 80's in really nice Blu-Ray collector's editions, it would probably be a good idea to have a word with them about this.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Max Awfuls posted:

Ben, I know you must be looking primarily towards the american market, but Arrow Films in England has been publishing a lot of classic italian horror and american B-movies from the 70's and 80's in really nice Blu-Ray collector's editions, it would probably be a good idea to have a word with them about this.

Did they do the Bronx Warriors trilogy (1990: Bronx Warriors, Warriors of the Wasteland, and Bronx Warriors 2: War for the Bronx)? That set set seemed nice from what I saw online/

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

LP97S posted:

Did they do the Bronx Warriors trilogy (1990: Bronx Warriors, Warriors of the Wasteland, and Bronx Warriors 2: War for the Bronx)? That set set seemed nice from what I saw online/

That one was by another company called Shameless that specializes mostly in euro exploitation pics from the 70's, particularly italian stuff, and they've been releasing some pretty good prints of rather obscure films. They haven't invested in Blu-Ray yet, but they could be interested too, but I think Arrow would be a better fit. Arrow's recently released Blus are Maniac Cop, The Exterminator and Frankenhooker, so Manos would probably be their thing.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325482813/manos-the-restoration

Kickstarter is up and running.

I gave some dough, Merry Christmas!!!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The facebook link doesn't seem to lead to the right place, but I'm already trying (in my tiny little way) to spread the word about this. Heck, after the holidays I might even chip in a few bucks, making this my first kickstarter project that I would be participating in.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

RagingBoner posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325482813/manos-the-restoration

Kickstarter is up and running.

I gave some dough, Merry Christmas!!!

I am now a proud donor of this project :D

I wish I had 500 dollars to blow on this. A 16mm print of a restored Manos? Holy crap.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 24, 2011

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I've pitched in a few bucks and spread the word around.

Here's hoping this project goes over like gangbusters! :cheers:

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

I put my money where my mouth is. Thanks for the Kickstarter!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Having the kickstarter is great, but I think you'll get more interest if the incentive level to get the DVD/Blu-ray is closer to the normal retail price of a DVD or blu-ray. Sure a lot of people donate out of the kindness of their hearts, but a LOT more will donate as a method of buying the film. Having the t-shirt level below the DVD level seems really odd, and setting the threshold for getting the film so high at $50 is gonna put a lot of people off.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Fatkraken posted:

Having the kickstarter is great, but I think you'll get more interest if the incentive level to get the DVD/Blu-ray is closer to the normal retail price of a DVD or blu-ray. Sure a lot of people donate out of the kindness of their hearts, but a LOT more will donate as a method of buying the film. Having the t-shirt level below the DVD level seems really odd, and setting the threshold for getting the film so high at $50 is gonna put a lot of people off.

Well, there are other incentives to have along with getting your own copy.

I went with the $50, because I figure buying a copy when it's done will probably be something like $30 (I'm going for the Blu Ray), and I was planning on dropping $10 or $20 anyways just for the restoration funding. So I figured I might as well go ahead and pay for everything now and be done with it.

Edit: Hey Ben, might I suggest updating the OP with a link to the kickstarter? And someone with more Photoshop talent than me should consider making a banner ad or two we can link to this thread, especially now that the fundraising ball is rolling.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 25, 2011

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Tossing in $100. Long Live Manos.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
On the $50 level, would it be possible to get both a digital download and a blu-ray?
I'm one of those people who, given the choice, would choose the blu-ray even though I don't actually have a blu-ray player yet, and it'd be nice to have that + actually be able to watch the thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I really should not be spending money right now, but I couldn't resist throwing in enough cash for a DVD/Bluray. Go Manos!

Edit: Poor as I am, I think $50 bucks is fair for the DVD, considering it's entirely self-released and money's still gotta go towards the restoration too.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 25, 2011

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

I'm in for $100. This is pretty awesome!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
24% funded in 2 days? This bodes pretty well, I'd say.

Three Pixel
Jun 13, 2003

In space no one can hear your anime stare downs.
Put my $100 in. Wish I could do more!

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Going to pitch in 100 bucks when I get home from my parents house after the holidays end. I wish I could give more, but I know given the rush of support on this it's going to get the funds necessary to move forward anyway and I have bills to pay.

Hell we might get a Rifftrax Live or MST3K reunion out of this. Joy!

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'm chucking in $100 for this as soon as I get back home after the holidays. You're doing the MaStEr'S wOrK.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
In for a hundred.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Wow... someone actually pledged $1,000. :stare:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Chipped in $50--can't wait to see where this project goes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ballz posted:

I haven't seen this level of goon support for a film since Swap.avi :stonk:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Will be pledging $100 as soon as I am financially able.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
Thank you everybody for your enthusiasm! I gave the fundraiser all of January since I thought everyone was going to be a bit cleaned out after the holidays. Getting 45% pledged over the weekend was a very pleasant surprise.

I took Brown Moses' suggestion about a special audio track with donors tackling the dialogue... I figure they deserve a few fun easter eggs in their honor. The ones on the rewards list right now are just what I know I can do offhand- there might be a few more ways I can show my appreciation as the project progresses.

Instant Grat posted:

On the $50 level, would it be possible to get both a digital download and a blu-ray?
I'm one of those people who, given the choice, would choose the blu-ray even though I don't actually have a blu-ray player yet, and it'd be nice to have that + actually be able to watch the thing.

This is something I will address further down the line, but I can work something out with anyone who wants both digital and physical delivery. I will be contacting everyone to discuss fulfillment and special requirements (for instance, if your internet is patchy and you need the download on a disc or USB).

Ballz posted:

Edit: Hey Ben, might I suggest updating the OP with a link to the kickstarter? And someone with more Photoshop talent than me should consider making a banner ad or two we can link to this thread, especially now that the fundraising ball is rolling.

Will do, Ballz! I'll have no access to Photoshop for a few days, but banners are on my to do list. And anyone with more graphic sense than me is welcome to whip one up too.

Ballz posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I haven't seen this level of goon support for a film since Swap.avi :stonk:

That wasn't a goon, that was Bryan Jennings, son of the man who played the sheriff! And a pretty nice guy, it looks like.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
OK, I'm in for $500.

If nobody donates to the big producer level can I get a part on the new audio track?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ben Solo posted:

I took Brown Moses' suggestion about a special audio track with donors tackling the dialogue... I figure they deserve a few fun easter eggs in their honor. The ones on the rewards list right now are just what I know I can do offhand- there might be a few more ways I can show my appreciation as the project progresses.

Oh, I definitely want a part in this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I asked Mike Nelson to retweet a link to the kickstarter... didn't realize he already knew about it. I did send it to Trace Beaulieu, maybe he'll retweet it.

Normally I hate these "hey celebrity, RT this!!!111" nonsense, but for Manos? Worth it.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Ben Solo posted:

Getting 45% pledged over the weekend was a very pleasant surprise.
I just checked and seen that it's over 60% pledged already. I put in my $50 before it is too late. :)

VVVV Ah, didn't know that. VVVV

Bluecobra fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 26, 2011

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bluecobra posted:

I just checked and seen that it's over 60% pledged already. I put in my $50 before it is too late. :)

I don't think there's a 'too late' since Kickstarters will just keep going once the goal has been reached.

Who's Tony Trombo?

quote:

This is just from me... if you back this project with the FULL $10,000, I'll send you an ACTUALL BRICK from the Master's House location, in El Paso.
The brick is from THE DRIVEWAY where Torgo walks from the house to Mike's car to the bags.
I got this brick while taking pics for my MANOS locations book.
If you can give the 10K, Ben will contact me and I'll get this VERY RARE collector's piece to you!
Thanks!
Tony Trombo

That's one expensive rear end brick :stare:

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 26, 2011

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't think there's a 'too late' since Kickstarters will just keep going once the goal has been reached.

And it'd be good to get some extra money put in once the goal is reached. From the kickstarter's description:

quote:

Exceeding our fundraising goal will help create the following:

* A 2K to 35mm film-out preservation negative, which will also enable us to strike new 35mm prints.
* The production of an audio commentary with surviving members of the original cast.
* A documentary covering the restoration process, to be used as a Blu-ray extra feature.

All great things to have. I'd definitely love to see a documentary on the film's restoration.

quote:

Who's Tony Trombo?

That's one expensive rear end brick :stare:

Whoa... for that price, you could probably just travel to the location and dig up another brick yourself. I wonder if that's a different item than what Ben's offering for his $5,000 or more donation incentive (which he says is also donated by Tony Trombo).

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

In for $50. Now I just have to choose which of my two names I want to be in the credits . . .

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
Awesome, 75% of the way there in 3 days... Extra features here we come.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
What if I want two copies instead of one copy and a poster, huh? HUH?!

Cater to my specific needs!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
9,991/10,000

My god, it's going to happen. It's really going to happen :unsmith:

EDIT: I refresh, and it's past 10,000. Amazing!

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Fully Funded. Holy Moley.

• Locked thread