Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Daerc posted:

I just did some quick searching, and while Hasbean doesn't seem to sell them, it looked like most people in the few UK coffee forums I could find were picking them up off CoffeeHit (or a few other sites that don't even ship to the entirety of the UK).

It looks like they should ship to wherever, so I hope that helps. Alternatively, there's Amazon as well, and while you're giving money to the same company, it looks like it may save you some on shipping.

I usually don't even bother with UK shops since they almost never ship outside the country, but I can't believe I didn't try Amazon :doh: Well, thanks a lot! Just ordered one from there, as you said shipping was much cheaper. With this dripper I should be able to remove myself from the equation, at least when it comes to brewing... I can still screw up in other areas :v:

Any recommendation for filters? Are supermarket ones good enough or should I rely only on trusted brands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

seravid posted:

Wait, what? After reading the OP I was set on the CCD, but couldn't find it here in Europe. I just re-checked and Hasbean doesn't sell it...?

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try them after the holidays. Too late now and I already ordered some Brazilian beans yesterday anyway.

Sorry my bad, it's not Hasbean but Square Mile that stocks them for 20 quid.......they have good beans as well. Tell us how the Brazilian went, I tend to your avoid typical coffee countries i.e. Brazil, Colombia etc but should give them a shot really.

The Kenyan I'm having now (Tegu AA on CCD) is good but am noticing some cups are better than others, very bright but it ends on a lovely buttery, caramelized sugar note. If I do it on Aeropress, it gets a bit too strong with a cloudy look (tends to happen for Aeropress African coffee for some reason)

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

seravid posted:

I usually don't even bother with UK shops since they almost never ship outside the country, but I can't believe I didn't try Amazon :doh: Well, thanks a lot! Just ordered one from there, as you said shipping was much cheaper. With this dripper I should be able to remove myself from the equation, at least when it comes to brewing... I can still screw up in other areas :v:

Any recommendation for filters? Are supermarket ones good enough or should I rely only on trusted brands?

Yes, the beauty of the CCD is you can set everything else (i.e. brew time, volume and coffee) on constant with the only variable being the grind size which makes it easier to adjust and get right.

Any filter brand should be OK, I use cheap, unbleached Japanese Daiso filters, just make sure they're not too thick and that you rinse them off, paper tastes nasty.

scythide
Aug 8, 2003

Normal?
Finally found one at a decent price:

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007
So, I just got my sweet sweet Baratza maestro for Christmas! Anyone else here use one with a chemex filter? If so, got a grind setting you can recommend me?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Whisker Biscuit posted:

So, I just got my sweet sweet Baratza maestro for Christmas! Anyone else here use one with a chemex filter? If so, got a grind setting you can recommend me?
I have a Chemex and the new Virtuoso, which also has 40 settings. I have limited experience right now, but 28 seemed a good coarseness for 48g of coffee (with a ratio of 2g per 1 fl oz). I'm going to try 30 next. But if I were to use 21g of coffee, I'd try a setting of 20. The setting seems dependent on how much coffee you make.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

that Vai sound posted:

I have a Chemex and the new Virtuoso, which also has 40 settings. I have limited experience right now, but 28 seemed a good coarseness for 48g of coffee (with a ratio of 2g per 1 fl oz). I'm going to try 30 next. But if I were to use 21g of coffee, I'd try a setting of 20. The setting seems dependent on how much coffee you make.

I had a great cup of Tanzania AA Ruvuma this morning - 5 tablespoons ground coffee to 25 oz water. Molasses on the nose and a zippy, lemony finish. Merry Christmas to me!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Can you guys detect these aromas from the beans or do they only come out after brewing?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Hooray I got an aeropress for Christmas! No grinder though. Even with a blade grinder its a pretty big improvement over crappy drip coffee anyway. Been making iced drinks all morning for everyone.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

seravid posted:

Can you guys detect these aromas from the beans or do they only come out after brewing?

First, I was a Barista for a long time so I have had shiploads of cupping/tasting practice. As for the question, I definitely got the lemons in the smell of the ground beans, but the darker, molasses and chocolate flavors were way more pronounced in the finished product.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Whisker Biscuit posted:

I had a great cup of Tanzania AA Ruvuma this morning - 5 tablespoons ground coffee to 25 oz water. Molasses on the nose and a zippy, lemony finish. Merry Christmas to me!
Good to hear that. I made a nice batch this morning with the setting at 31. I'm thinking a tad coarser might still help, so I'm going to try 33 next.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Got a roaster for Christmas (old Popcorn popper). First batch came out a little too dark, I think! Next one will be less time, I'm thinking 45 seconds less.

Do I really have to wait a day to try it out?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I was given a hario skerton for Xmas. I plan to use it with a clever coffee dripper. Is there any gain to be had on the fine end of the grind spectrum from modification?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Also, I was given an air popper. Does anyone have any suggestions for good "beginner beans?"

(quote is not edit)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Do I really have to wait a day to try it out?

Congrats! Welcome to roasting. You don't have to wait. I do it all the time. Just grind and allow for more degassing time when you prewet, it will be pretty voluminous.

Loucks posted:

Also, I was given an air popper. Does anyone have any suggestions for good "beginner beans?"
(quote is not edit)

Congrats, too! "Peaberry" type beans are nice because of their shape. They roll easily and roast evenly because of this. Also wet process coffees have a tendency to roast more evenly because of the nature of the process. The size sorting is usually more consistent and there are fewer "quakers." Coffees that can take a large swath of roasts and still taste good are good as well, as your roast control will not be optimal at first.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 25, 2011

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just got an aeropress for Christmas and I'm looking at burr grinders. The Maestro is up on the refurb store for $95. Any reason to get it over a Capresso Infinity or Bodum Bistro (http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324849088&sr=8-3)? I've got $40 in amazon gift certificates burning a hole in my wallet so I'd prefer one of the later two but I'll go for the Maestro if it's significantly better.

Or should I just grind my coffee at the store and use it a week at a time?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Loucks posted:

I was given a hario skerton for Xmas. I plan to use it with a clever coffee dripper. Is there any gain to be had on the fine end of the grind spectrum from modification?
No, but you don't want too fine really.
They say fine, but that is really because most people are used to the giant grids for french press, but really fine, it will over extract.,

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

I just got an aeropress for Christmas and I'm looking at burr grinders. The Maestro is up on the refurb store for $95. Any reason to get it over a Capresso Infinity or Bodum Bistro (http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324849088&sr=8-3)? I've got $40 in amazon gift certificates burning a hole in my wallet so I'd prefer one of the later two but I'll go for the Maestro if it's significantly better.

The Maestro is significantly better. Better burrs, more grind steps, anti static container. It is worth it.

quote:

Or should I just grind my coffee at the store and use it a week at a time?

If you can afford a grinder, don't do this.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Is there a point at which grinding your coffee right before you use it isn't going to do much to save it? My parents got like 10 pounds of coffee from Costco, and immediately put it all in the freezer. I am not going to be able to convince them to get better coffee, or put in a modicum more effort than it takes to dump grounds into the top of a Mr. Coffee in the morning. Are they going to see any benefit from using fresh-ground-correct-fineness coffee, or is that a waste of effort at this point?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Gravity Pike posted:

Is there a point at which grinding your coffee right before you use it isn't going to do much to save it? My parents got like 10 pounds of coffee from Costco, and immediately put it all in the freezer. I am not going to be able to convince them to get better coffee, or put in a modicum more effort than it takes to dump grounds into the top of a Mr. Coffee in the morning. Are they going to see any benefit from using fresh-ground-correct-fineness coffee, or is that a waste of effort at this point?

Depends on the coffee at costco. The used to sell these fresh roasted 2 lb bags, single origin (SO). It was pretty decent coffee. I stopped buying roasted coffee though when I started roasting :smug:.

I'm kind of unsure of what you're asking though. I think you're asking if the quality of the coffee is so bad and all other brew variables are bad, is optimizing grind worth it? I think it depends on who's drinking it. If you are on a crusade to get your parents into good coffee but they couldn't care less, I think you're destined to fail and I wouldn't even bother. If you think they could be swayed, I wouldn't even bother with baby steps. I'd show up with a modded skerton or mini mill, some fresh roasted coffee, and a CCD and do a good coffee full assault on the senses. Then when they :stare: at the enlightening experience of a proper cup of coffee, getting them to get a 100bux grinder is a lot easier.

Edit: even if you get the cheap Costco "Jose's" brand, this coffee is still miles better than preground folgers/maxwell/yuban/whatever. I think proper grind treatment will still be noticeable.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 26, 2011

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I've spent the last few hours with a disassembled Hario mini. My conclusion: I hate it. I also hate everyone in this thread, the world in general and any existing extra-terrestrial life. Myself, too.

Let's see:

- Unsecured shaft? Check. Tape the area where the bushings are supposed to secure it. Boom, it's rock-solid.

- Unsecured outer burr? Check. The four plastic housings are pathetic, the burr moves freely in there. Half a mile of tape later, the drat thing is now bulletproof.

- Unsecured inner burr's clamp? Check. I'm starting to see a pattern here. Tape everywhere until there's no more gap.

- Unsecured inner burr? Check. Holy christ, this is ridiculous... Anyway, you guessed it, tape tape tape, inner burr stabilized.

Last check, everything looks good. Job well done, seravid, give it a whirl. Wait, that... that doesn't look centered at all!

- Slightly bent shaft causing an eccentric rotation and nullifying hours of work? RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH :suicide:

According to a thread back on CoffeeGeek, this appears to be pretty common. Nice going, Hario, I'm sure I'll buy more of your quality products in the future.

HardCorey
Jan 11, 2010
Any strong opinions on reusable filters? Sometimes I feel guilty about all the disposable ones I go through.

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004

HardCorey posted:

Any strong opinions on reusable filters? Sometimes I feel guilty about all the disposable ones I go through.

What type/size filter?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

seravid posted:

According to a thread back on CoffeeGeek, this appears to be pretty common. Nice going, Hario, I'm sure I'll buy more of your quality products in the future.

To be fair, you're expecting 300bux of grinder out of a 40bux hand grinder. This is one reason many of us recommend buying the best grinder you can up front.

HardCorey posted:

I like a clean cup and I compost. So I have no qualms with using paper filters.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So after passing on the Breville machine, I'm back on the hunt for a good combo for daily high-quality espresso.

Would this be a good bet? Under a grand, no tax free shipping. Brand new also:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Espresso-Maker-Rancilio-Silvia-Rocky-doser-Grinder-/370387820909

Edit: Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder combo. $978 shipped.

I could even use the "make offer" and see what happens. :v: Any suggested realistic offers I should send the seller's way?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 26, 2011

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The Vario is a better espresso grinder.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

The Vario is a better espresso grinder.

Oh, you again.... :crossarms:

All kidding aside, I really appreciate your advice. I'll search around for a Vario.

Hey, I'm a cheapskate and am looking to do this with a "wife approved" budget, which I'm currently over.....

Edit: Any difference between the Vario and the Vario W?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 26, 2011

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Whisker Biscuit posted:

The numbers on grinders are only meaningful for that particular grinder. They're just to give you a scale to make adjustments. The actual grind size at a specific setting depends on how the burrs are calibrated, which isn't exactly the same for every Maestro. The Virtuoso and Maestro don't even have the same burr set, so number comparisons are particularly meaningless.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like a clean cup and I compost. So I have no qualms with using paper filters.

Ditto.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

To be fair, you're expecting 300bux of grinder out of a 40bux hand grinder. This is one reason many of us recommend buying the best grinder you can up front.

I expected brands to cheap out on materials, capacity, ease of use... not on the one thing it's actually supposed to do. Which, now that I think about it, was pretty naïve of me. Still, can't help but find it amusing/depressing that to get a grinder that is actually good at grinding, I'll need to spend at least three times more cash than I paid for the Hario.

Since we're here, any European alternative to the Baratza Maestro? It's a rip-off here compared to the US. At 95$ (refurb) I would have jumped straight to it instead of the wonder mill I have.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Oh, you again.... :crossarms:

All kidding aside, I really appreciate your advice. I'll search around for a Vario.

Hey, I'm a cheapskate and am looking to do this with a "wife approved" budget, which I'm currently over.....

Edit: Any difference between the Vario and the Vario W?

A refurb Vario is $360 here. The difference between the Vario and Vario-W is that the W grinds by weight into a bin (which you then transfer to the portafilter basket), while the Vario grinds by time directly into the basket. The W is a bit more expensive. Read the descriptions on Baratza's site.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

A refurb Vario is $360 here. The difference between the Vario and Vario-W is that the W grinds by weight into a bin (which you then transfer to the portafilter basket), while the Vario grinds by time directly into the basket. The W is a bit more expensive. Read the descriptions on Baratza's site.

Thanks. They are currently out of stock on the refurbs, so I'll keep checking.

So it's safe to say the regular Vario is probably the best bet?

HardCorey
Jan 11, 2010

DragonWC99 posted:

What type/size filter?
#4. Didn't think about composting though. That's something I'd been meaning to start doing anyways.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'd show up with a modded skerton or mini mill, some fresh roasted coffee, and a CCD

Would modding my skerton produce better coffee with the CCD? I've got it set to about the middle of the adjustment range. So far the coffee has been pretty drat good, but if there is room for improvement I'll go hunt down some rubber washers and a spring.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I bought a french press and I'm not really looking to drop 100 bucks on a good grinder yet, but I have a cheap electric blade one that gives a pretty inconsistent grind. Is it better to still buy whole beans and grind them using the lovely grinder, or am I better off getting my beans ground when I buy them?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Count me as an aeropress convert. I had my first cup this morning and I've never tasted so much of the coffee as today. It was so smooth I didn't even miss the usual milk that I add. Can't wait to try it out with a burr grinder once it gets here.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Starks posted:

I bought a french press and I'm not really looking to drop 100 bucks on a good grinder yet, but I have a cheap electric blade one that gives a pretty inconsistent grind. Is it better to still buy whole beans and grind them using the lovely grinder, or am I better off getting my beans ground when I buy them?

I had a blade grinder for about half of a year until I got my burr grinder. I definitely tasted improved flavor with the grinder over store bought, pre-ground coffee. Yeah it was sometimes inconsistent, but once you get the hang of it, it'll still be miles better.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Starks posted:

If you can afford a $20 burr grinder from Black & Decker, I'd recommend that as kind of an "entry grinder." You're going to get a much more consistent grind than from a blade grinder, even from a crappy burr grinder.

If you don't want to drop $20 on that, I'd still stick with your blade mill over pre-ground coffee.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Made a really nice tasting cup of press pot coffee. Ended up with what seemed a fair amount of sediment, though, but I'm not sure how much is normal. Anyone tried pouring through another additional filter to catch the rest?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

Made a really nice tasting cup of press pot coffee. Ended up with what seemed a fair amount of sediment, though, but I'm not sure how much is normal. Anyone tried pouring through another additional filter to catch the rest?

You can, but it's also probably going to get rid of some of the body that french press coffee is known for. I personally just don't drink the last sip.

I did however just get a vac pot for Christmas which produces somewhat similar coffee, but without the sediment. Really excited to fire this thing up, but I need to pick up some denatured alcohol for the burner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What's the recommended grind setting for a Virtuoso / Aeropress combination?