Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

EvilMoFo posted:

I would rather put my 10+ years of knowledge to good use.

What do you mean by this? Most of us came into IT with years and years of knowledge but without the experience nobody really cares. Or do you mean that you were in college for 10 years working on an IT degree?

You have to understand that most "IT" jobs- you're hired, given a desk, and expected to hit the ground running. An IT manager/whomever won't typically take the chance on letting a guy on day 1 of his first real job touch anything remotely worthwhile; and that's when the call/help desk ladder hopping comes into play.

Also, your location is critical. If you're not in a tech city, you need to move.

vty fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big L
May 8, 2008

vty posted:

Also, your location is critical. If you're not in a tech city, you need to move.
As someone who is looking to get into IT and isn't tied down to any particular location, what cities would you categorize as being "tech" cities? I assume Silicon Valley and D.C. are up there, but are there any other locales that have a strong IT presence; especially for entry level / help desk?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

vty posted:

What do you mean by this? Most of us came into IT with years and years of knowledge but without the experience nobody really cares. Or do you mean that you were in college for 10 years working on an IT degree?

You have to understand that most "IT" jobs- you're hired, given a desk, and expected to hit the ground running. An IT manager/whomever won't typically take the chance on letting a guy on day 1 of his first real job touch anything remotely worthwhile; and that's when the call/help desk ladder hopping comes into play.

Well, I did spend 8 years getting my (BS Business, Information Systems) degree; what I learned there pales in comparison to what I have done on my own however. I encountered some of my graduating class in the last couple semesters, it was frightening how little they knew.

Over a decade using Windows, and troubleshooting hardware, Windows Server since 2003 and recently I have been learning Server Core. I have helped a couple of my friends do work at the colo; helping install, fix, and upgrade production gear. Over the past couple years I have been learning AD at the house, I did AD migration for a doctors office earlier this year. I have used VMWare for the last 5+ years and have been learning Hyper-V recently. I have a decent understanding about networking and debugging issues, I have been running OpenBSD or FreeBSD as a firewall for nearly 10 years; I have very limited experience with configuring my Cisco switches as well. I have attended Defcon for 8 years and have a pretty good grasp of security, this coming year I will be one of the System/Network administrators for my team in the CTF game.

I know I am not an expert, I know that I can not walk into a company and manage/design/secure an entire infrastructure. I just want a simple junior administrator position, something where there is some oversight and I can put my years of learning Windows administration, networking, virtualization, and security to good use; learning more in the process.

I am in the bay area, looking in the northern end of the east bay and expanding as time goes on. Decent amount of tech ~30 minutes away from me, plenty ~60 minutes out, assloads (downtown SF) at the ~90 minute mark.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 27, 2011

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
Sadly, even in the Bay Area unless the hiring person is convinced by your informal expertise on the email/resume you contact them with, they probably won't contact you back. In many cases, the only companies where the nerds are also doing the hiring are startups that can't really afford a dedicated IT person, so that's also pretty poo poo.

You probably do have more experience than idiots with certificates that just memorized a Test Bank and no actual practical IT implementation, but for the purposes of getting into the interview you really will want them on your resume. If you can't manage that, then your only other reliable option is know someone who works at the place, and tell them to vouch for you.

Everything vty said is true, but I'll also add this: in this hiring market, if a company is willing to hire someone with no real experience to help run their IT, there's a good chance that the company doesn't really know what their IT needs really are. You might be able to fake it until you make it, but the struggle will probably not be worth it.

mute
Jul 17, 2004

vty posted:

This.

In the past, this is the basic criteria on which I will rank someone for farming out work or hiring:

1) Experience + certifications + Degree
2) Experience + certifications or Experience + Degree
3) Experience Only or Degree + Certifications
4) Degree Only
5) Certifications Only
6) Nothing

#4-6 (and possibly 3, depending on amount of experience/etc) would only get an entry-level help desk position (unless the Cert is a CCIE).

By experience, I'm referring to verifiable work experience that I can call someone up and they can tell me you can do what you claim you can. Having X number of years self-taught knowledge only goes so far, and doesn't tell me that you can actually show up and do work every day. I'll take someone far less qualified that I can get recommendations on than someone who only says "I've been doing this for X years on my own in a lab." It's a gamble for employers either way, but Experience/Certs/Degrees are ways of improving the odds.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I'll be blunt, when someone (I did the same thing when I was a kid, I thought I could walk into an Admin job knowing how to run webservers) walks in and tells me that they know esxi and runs domain clusters and Exchange at home - I kind of sigh inside because I'm well aware that they likely have very little troubleshooting skills. Deploying networks is (typically) easy - it's the wealth of troubleshooting you've learned over your time in the (real) industry that is critical to my staff.

Knowing how to dcpromo, deploy snapshot, hw2vm things is obviously important, but the analytic troubleshooting you gain over a career is what is your real selling point.

Your only real selling point to me with doing things at home is that I'd like you more because you go home and study things outside of the scope of work.

The easiest industry to get into if you want a "JR Admin" position would be webhosting. HostGator, etc will teach you from the ground up and you'll have plenty of room to grow if you're good. Most webhosts also have pretty generic interview tests (how do I write this tsql query, what ports are X,Y,Z, what is an RBL). It's an easy 40k job.

But.. it's webhosting, it's a very niche industry and you might have a hard time getting out of it. If you can get with Rackspace, they have a huge number of departments and you can (eventually) move laterally around if you're more interested in other things. It's a great company in a terrible location.

The Big L posted:

As someone who is looking to get into IT and isn't tied down to any particular location, what cities would you categorize as being "tech" cities? I assume Silicon Valley and D.C. are up there, but are there any other locales that have a strong IT presence; especially for entry level / help desk?

The usual hot spots - SFBA, Denver, Seattle, Houston.. All those big cities. I'm in Austin, which thinks its a big city, but really apart from Dell/HP mid-senior level positions seem to be lacking, along with the pay ranges.

I see tons of NYC jobs posted in the job posting thread here, but I've never lived there and NYC almost seems like a foreign country to me - one of those places you don't look for work in unless you're already well connected and living there.

vty fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 27, 2011

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Another post, because the list of jobs keeps getting longer.

We are hiring for:

- Software Releng/QA Engineers
- Data Engineers
- Software Tool Developers
- Senior Software Engineers - Front-End
- Software Engineers - Ad Server
- Database Engineer
- Software Engineers - Front End
- Linux Systems Administrators (Mid-level to Senior - contact me for details)

Note: We also have several non-technical positions open. You can see them here, but I'm not going to list them because they probably won't get seen in SH/SC.

It's a great company to work for. We have a lot of benefits, pay is competitive, and the atmosphere is very fun. We're based out of Westborough, MA, about 30-40 minutes away from Boston, MA, but are moving in towards town soon. We are open to interviewing people from all over the country and the world, and may be able to assist with relocation on a case-by-case basis. It's retained a lot of the feel of a start-up even as a mid-size company. Let me know on IM, or by PM, or by email (csigilonwork@gmail.com) if you are interested in any of these positions, or have questions for me. I'm the hiring manager for some of them, and can put in a good word for the others.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

mute posted:

By experience, I'm referring to verifiable work experience that I can call someone up and they can tell me you can do what you claim you can.
The next revision of my resume will have "work experience" from helping my friends. Something like "assistant system administrator and datacenter operations consultant" for ~5 years with one and ~2 years with the other should help. Hell, I got my friend the one job; I often go into the colo to help and am randomly called to aid in troubleshooting odd problems.

Abeya Minora posted:

You might be able to fake it until you make it, but the struggle will probably not be worth it.
I try to only apply for jobs that I am qualified to handle, nothing to extreme. Once the number of unidentified acronyms goes above 1 or 2, I close the tab after loading them up in Google; I have encountered a couple where I knew the concept but had never heard of the acronym before.

vty posted:

Knowing how to dcpromo, deploy snapshot, hw2vm things is obviously important, but the analytic troubleshooting you gain over a career is what is your real selling point.
On the topic of troubleshooting, I have broken everything pretty violently over the course of learning. I would not have done the AD migration for that doctors office if it wasn't for my loving up AD migration a couple times and feeling confident that I could troubleshoot/correct errors I encountered. My countless hours of troubleshooting hardware, weird and cryptic windows errors, and generally making computers behave is likely my strongest suit.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

EvilMoFo posted:

Well, I did spend 8 years getting my (BS Business, Information Systems) degree; what I learned there pales in comparison to what I have done on my own however. I encountered some of my graduating class in the last couple semesters, it was frightening how little they knew.

Over a decade using Windows, and troubleshooting hardware, Windows Server since 2003 and recently I have been learning Server Core. I have helped a couple of my friends do work at the colo; helping install, fix, and upgrade production gear. Over the past couple years I have been learning AD at the house, I did AD migration for a doctors office earlier this year. I have used VMWare for the last 5+ years and have been learning Hyper-V recently. I have a decent understanding about networking and debugging issues, I have been running OpenBSD or FreeBSD as a firewall for nearly 10 years; I have very limited experience with configuring my Cisco switches as well. I have attended Defcon for 8 years and have a pretty good grasp of security, this coming year I will be one of the System/Network administrators for my team in the CTF game.

I know I am not an expert, I know that I can not walk into a company and manage/design/secure an entire infrastructure. I just want a simple junior administrator position, something where there is some oversight and I can put my years of learning Windows administration, networking, virtualization, and security to good use; learning more in the process.

I am in the bay area, looking in the northern end of the east bay and expanding as time goes on. Decent amount of tech ~30 minutes away from me, plenty ~60 minutes out, assloads (downtown SF) at the ~90 minute mark.

I tend to hire a lot of self taught guys, probably because that's how I got in the business. I just hate it when people say that they have certain experience but when you ask them for more details they can't really expand on anything past "well I installed vmware and ran linux on it".

I put a lot of weight on the interview, it's pretty easy to tell when someone is willing to learn and has the ability to do well. I find that guys with tons of certs and degrees usually don't know as much/aren't as passionate about learning and doing more. However one of the best guys I work with has a couple PhDs and a list of credentials that's unreal...

So I guess what I'm saying is, you should do as much as you can to learn more about what you want to do as your job. I got into this business by offering to help people set up servers and code web sites for free, if you have a degree it probably helps too. Don't be afraid to put personal projects and work you do for friends on your resume, especially if you have any cool things you did that you're proud of.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 27, 2011

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ElCondemn posted:

I tend to hire a lot of self taught guys, probably because that's how I got in the business. I just hate it when people say that they have certain experience but when you ask them for more details they can't really expand on anything past "well I installed vmware and ran linux on it".

I'm more of this mindset too, though I don't hire as much as I used to (used to do hundreds of interviews a year). I'm more impressed by how someone thinks than the letters after their name generally, though there's obvious caveats at the high end (e.g. you probably want a CCNA working on your production Cisco device instead of a guy who will figure out the problem in 20 mins, no matter how good the second guy is).

rocket lad
Feb 3, 2004
omfgyouguyz
Gave this a shot about two months ago, and was told it was a shame I wasn't looking in the DC area. Given recent changes, I'm now actively looking for opportunities in DC/Northern VA.

Job Seeker

My Experience
Ten years total IT experience, half of which has been in "legit" full-time positions (the first half was largely IT work on the side while in school). Experience mostly in Windows 2000/2k3/2k8 admin, XP/7 desktop support, Linux admin (RHEL/CentOS/SLES), and network support.

Certs/Education
I have a DoD Secret clearance, CCNA/Security+/Linux+/A+/Network+ certifications, an AAS in Networking Technology, a BA, and am working on an MS in infosec.

What I'm Looking For
junior to mid-level Windows/Linux admin role, or junior/mid network engineer - preferably with a security emphasis. Entry-level security analyst would be great, also.

What I'm Not Looking For
help desk or anything without opportunity for professional growth

Where I Live
Research Triangle Park area, NC

Where I'm Looking
DC metro/Northern Virginia, RTP/Raleigh area, or telecommuting

When I Can Start
two weeks post-offer

Requirements
health/dental insurance, tuition reimbursement/training allowance

Please contact via PM. Thanks!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

vty posted:

The usual hot spots - SFBA, Denver, Seattle, Houston.. All those big cities. I'm in Austin, which thinks its a big city, but really apart from Dell/HP mid-senior level positions seem to be lacking, along with the pay ranges.

Something I've noticed since I've started working in Austin and becoming friends with guys in tech sector here is hardly any of the jobs in many of these companies ever get posted.

My job was never publicly posted, and I would say 80% of our positions are hired from a word of mouth referral and never get posted. If we have a software developer spot open up, someone usually knows a good candidate that is looking to move companies. Our last network engineer was filled by word of mouth as well. Job posting never even got put up. I know our pay is in line with market as well, and we have great benefits as people tend to stay for a while here.

Just a bit of advice to everyone reading this thread. Network Network Network. If you're looking for a job, don't be afraid to send a brief email to former teachers, bosses, colleagues, etc asking if someone knows anyone looking for your skill set.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Another year went by and our team expanded again, so I re-posted our updated job description over on page 60.

Hello again thread! It's been over a year since I've dropped by, and now I'm proud to say I'm on the Supply Side of the job market. So here goes:

Who are we?

The North American Web Development department of a ridiculously huge international travel conglomerate you probably haven't heard of.

Where are we?

Clearwater, FL, easily reachable from more or less the whole Tampa Bay area.

What are we looking for?

Awesome PHP Devs. Our core tech is currently Drupal, with some Magento and some custom stuff. Specific Drupal and Magento experience is not required whatsoever. We're more interested in finding highly motivated and experienced people who love making stuff for the web.

We have two openings right now for Web Application Developer I or II (which you get will be based on experience). It would likely start off as a W2'd contractor position (don't think about this too hard) for a 3 month period, after which there's a rather good chance of going perm. (So far everyone on the team hired this way has gone perm, including myself.)

Cross training in LAMP server administration or UI/UX stuff would be a definite plus, as we work closely with Ops, Design and Usability teams. It helps to know what the hell they're talking about.

Your preferred dev environment doesn't really matter to us, but right now we're all on Macs. Experience with Git would also be useful, but not completely necessary.

Why should you work here?

Pay is great for the area. Benefits are great too, though they wouldn't kick in until you go perm (incl. 4+ weeks vacation, Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Travel-Industry-Specific-Perks, etc).

The work never gets boring, because there's always a pretty wide variety of projects in our pipeline, coming from other teams locally and all over the world. The team you'll be working in is absolutely top notch, it's seriously the best team I've ever had the privilege to be a part of.

When would you start?

As soon as we can interview you, so ASAP after 3 JAN 2012.

How do you apply?

Email (inpheaux at gmail) or PM me and we'll get the ball rolling.

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 6, 2012

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Job Seeker

My Experience
12 years experience in IT support and infrastructure. I have a heavy background in Windows deployments and solid networking experience at the medium organization level. I have worked with all current and legacy MS operating systems both in a support and a Jr sysadmin role. I am most familiar with the following roles in windows server: Print/file services, WDS, IIS, DHCP, AD, and Terminal Services. I have experience building and configuring machines in VMware ESX, VMware View and VSphere. Also, Cisco ethernet switches, routers, and a little ASA.

Certs/Education
A.S. in Computer Science
Currently enrolled in the Cisco networking Academy, estimated completion April 2012( just finished E-routing)

What I'm Looking For
Jr to mid level Network Administrator or Jr Network Engineering position

What I'm Not Looking For
Anything that helpdesk or desk side support is a primary function

Where I Live
Florida Panhandle east of the Central Time zone west of I-75

Where I'm Looking
Preferably Tallahassee area

When I Can Start
Standard two weeks

Requirements
Health insurance, Tuition/training alllowance

I can be contacted at username at gmail dot com ( that's my sacrificial spam account. I obviously wouldn't submit that as a formal email address)

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 29, 2011

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CaladSigilon posted:

Another post, because the list of jobs keeps getting longer.

We are hiring for:

- Senior Software Engineers - Front-End

- Software Engineers - Front End

You may attract more people if your job requirements gave more of an idea of what the job entails. Specifically, the two jobs I quoted are for "Front-End" designers but the experience requires one of six different back end programming languages.

To me, a front end designer is someone who will be working more with HTML and Javascript, but maybe your company's definition is more along the lines of server side programming for your front end.

Either way, listing all the programming languages you will accept as valid experience doesn't tell the prospective applicant what you're using. That's something most programmers want to know before they apply for a job.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

NotWearingPants posted:

You may attract more people if your job requirements gave more of an idea of what the job entails. Specifically, the two jobs I quoted are for "Front-End" designers but the experience requires one of six different back end programming languages.

To me, a front end designer is someone who will be working more with HTML and Javascript, but maybe your company's definition is more along the lines of server side programming for your front end.

Either way, listing all the programming languages you will accept as valid experience doesn't tell the prospective applicant what you're using. That's something most programmers want to know before they apply for a job.

I know the copy is a little... shaky in places. I'm trying to clean it up for the positions I'm hiring for, but I'd rather put out all of the ones, even if they're not under me.

For the record, though, those positions are PHP based. Though we're pretty flexible in general about what you want to write your stuff in, as long as it's not .NET, VB, or such else nonsense.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
Hello! We need an IT Manager!

Who are we?

Healthcare non-profit

Where are we?

Portland, OR

What are we looking for?

IT Manager! Looking for someone with good communication and management skills with a strong background in IT.

24/7 on call.

Environment is good, usual non-profit stuff to deal with. We're a Microsoft shop with some open source leaning.

HP Servers, cloud backups, Exchange, 2008/2003 AD mixed environment. EMR system.

Strong project management skills.

HIPAA or similar government regulation experience preferred.

Very diverse workplace. And some really cool people.

BS/BA
Driver's license, car and insurance

When would you start?

As soon as we can interview you, so ASAP after 3 JAN 2012. <-- Just stealing that!

How do you apply?

PM/drop your e-mail addy!

Position is still open as of January 10.

SmellsOfFriendship fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 10, 2012

Ishmael
May 31, 2006
Hello Job Fair. Do you like storage, answering phones, and saving the day? Then we need you.

General Stuff

I'm a team lead on a technical support team at well-known IT firm. We currently have several openings. The job is demanding, but rewarding.

The Job

As stated above, the work is technical support. We support primarily iSCSI storage (1Gb and 10Gb) for customers ranging from small companies to the government. Most cases you handle on your own, but for large companies, complex cases, and cases that require a lot of customer management, you may end up working with a number of other people.

We have a 2 month training period in which you slowly phase in to taking calls, we want everyone to be confident about what they're doing before taking a full case-load. You will also have a team of awesome people who are around to help out.

All the work we do is remote/via phone, usually you have access to the customers' systems through webex, etc.

The job is located in Albuquerque, NM.

Also, shifts at all hours are available as we are a 24/7 team. If you don't feel good about potentially working a graveyard shift, then this may not be for you.

Who we need

We're looking for skilled support agents that have a significant number of the below qualifications:

*Bachelors Degree

*5+ Years phone or in-person technical support experience. Sysadmin and similar also works.

*Experience with iSCSI storage and fibre channel storage. Especially an understanding of how that kind of storage works.

*Working knowledge of the following OSs: Linux (especially RHEL), VMware, Windows/Hyper-V.

*Knowledge of Citrix, other Linux distros, and Unix also a plus.

*Good Networking knowledge. CCNA and other certs a definite plus. Experience analysing TCP dumps is also great.

*The ability to process highly technical technical data (log files, customer input, and so on) and synthesize solutions to customer issues.

*Good customer management skills

*A good attitude :)

What You Get

It's a cool place to work. The people on the team come from all over the place, and are all friendly people. In addition to that, the team is growing by leaps and bounds. That means both career growth and stability.

How to Apply

Shoot me an email with a CL and resume. zcientista@gmail.com

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Do you know CSS very well? I'm the "lead" front-end developer / project manager and I need help (again)! We're a small team of 4 developers, 1-2 designers, and some bosses/secretaries. We do medium size websites for a lot of different clients, so the work is busy and diversified.

Who are we?
SiteGoals (design agency)

Where are we?
Austin, TX

What are we looking for?
This role will be 70% CSS and 30% PHP (Wordpress mostly). I don't mind helping and teaching, but you should be able to handle most of the work on your own. The bulk of it is updating existing Wordpress themes, but we also do work in ExpressionEngine (PHP CMS), and CodeIgniter, so it would be nice if you are able to handle general front-end type stuff like Javascript/jQuery, database updates, FTP, Photoshop, etc.

We're looking for full-time, in-house, but part-time/remote is a possibility. This will be a contract to start (1-3 months), but if you're a good fit we will definitely bring you on full-time, with benefits.

When would you start?
ASAP

How to apply:

Email me jordan@sitegoals.com your resume and your favorite CSS property and why.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

inpheaux posted:

Hello again thread! It's been over a year since I've dropped by, and now I'm proud to say I'm on the Supply Side of the job market. So here goes:

Who are we?

The North American Web Development department of a ridiculously huge international travel conglomerate you probably haven't heard of.

[...]

Clearwater, FL,

[...]

Our core tech is currently Drupal

Heh, I bet I know exactly who your company is. I interviewed there a good while ago and the interviewer seemed pretty cool. We chatted a bit about music (I used to DJ in college and he said something about how he was in a band) which was a nice departure from the other interviewers at other places.

Unfortunately at the time, I was trying to break into the development field from general IT. So, I didn't have much development experience and it showed on the technical assessments. A shame because it did seem like a nice place to work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Who we are: A health media company
What we do: Interactive wellness websites
When: Now!

We're looking for a Rails and Javascript programmer who wants to create new, fun, and exciting web sites for our customers. Quick learner, pro-active, attention to detail, blah blah.

Write amazing front-end code using HTML, CSS and JavaScript (jQuery)
Write beautiful server-side code to support your front-end
Ensure that your code supports multiple platforms, ranging from Internet Explorer to the latest Android tablet
Contribute new ideas to improve our technologies, processes, and products

Android and iOS app experience is a plus but not required.

We have a mixture of Mac, Linux, and Windows machines so we'll buy you whatever you're comfortable with. We have a brand-new office and there are 6 other web developers.

email: robvas@gmail.com

Bumping this in hope someone from the Michigan area is looking for a programming job. We hired one guy but we're still looking for another.

If you don't know Ruby on Rails but are willing to learn, and can demonstrate that you're capable in PHP, .NET, Python, or Q-BASIC - let's talk.

Not from Michigan? Move here. It's cheap to live here and you can live in the country and shoot deer and ride snowmobiles, or live in a whitebread subdivision with a mini-van.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Has anyone in here ever dealt with Technisource? I had one of their headhunters contact me recently.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

Not from Michigan? Move here. It's cheap to live here and you can live in the country and shoot deer and ride snowmobiles, or live in a whitebread subdivision with a mini-van.

Oh hey, that's why I'm trying to leave! (except the cheapness)

If I encounter anybody with a solid programming background who isn't an idiot I will direct them to this thread.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Farking Bastage posted:

Has anyone in here ever dealt with Technisource? I had one of their headhunters contact me recently.

I loathe recruiters, but the one good experience I've had was with a guy at Technisource. That may have been more his own competence and less of a reflection on the company though, so I wouldn't expect it.

PeppysDilz
Oct 9, 2011

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm currently on a Technisource contract. It's a child company of Spherion Staffing.

I can't complain about it, pretty typical of contract IT jobs. Most of the pros/cons of the job will rely on the client/account that you are assigned to (the client I work for is really great so YMMV). Two things that are always pretty bad in contracting jobs are benefits and job security so take that into account. Contracting was the only way I could get into an "entry level" security job without much experience.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

In my experience Spherion isn't great, but they are 'legit' in a lot of ways the other headhunters aren't. It seems most recruiters are 'one size fits all' and don't take into account specifics for any of the jobs they do, whereas Spherion at least tried. Haven't dealt with Technisource specifically though.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

PeppysDilz posted:

I'm currently on a Technisource contract. It's a child company of Spherion Staffing.

I can't complain about it, pretty typical of contract IT jobs. Most of the pros/cons of the job will rely on the client/account that you are assigned to (the client I work for is really great so YMMV). Two things that are always pretty bad in contracting jobs are benefits and job security so take that into account. Contracting was the only way I could get into an "entry level" security job without much experience.

I've never done contract work before, always permanent. Having a mortgage scares me out of it.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Farking Bastage posted:

I've never done contract work before, always permanent. Having a mortgage scares me out of it.

We use Technisource in someplace for our contract to hire positions. I personally have had great experiences with the candidates they have put in front of us. We have had issues in the past with some of the previous candidates, but they have always been great about finding us a well suited person quickly.

I also have done contract work, but it's always been contract to hire. I have never taken a contract only job. The pay is usually much better but there are a lot of headaches that go along with it. Time sheets, finding insurance (you can get it much cheaper than the contract agency), and knowing that they can bounce you can be a little un-nerving. I've been lucky though.

captaingimpy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 12, 2012

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Farking Bastage posted:

In my experience, recruiters are a complete waste of time. A lot of them advertise "positions" that don't actually exist just to keep their candidate folders full.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

kid sinister posted:

In my experience, recruiters are a complete waste of time. A lot of them advertise "positions" that don't actually exist just to keep their candidate folders full.

I had luck with recruiters that were specifically employed by the company that was looking to fill the position. The was another guy at a staffing agency that managed to land me a phone interview, but the job wasn't really what I was looking for.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

It appears to be a contract gig through technisource for a State agency to manage their network. I was told the last guy was there 10 years.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Interviews starting, thanks again goons

Arzakon fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 12, 2012

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I need a developer.

Who are we
The University of Arizona's Financial Services Office

Where are we
Tucson, Arizona, in a university owned office building about 2 miles from the main campus

What will you be doing
Supporting and developing web apps using Django, generating reports from various databases, some mobile (iOS) development. Whatever else FSO ends up needing developed. The same stuff that I do.

I'm not the hiring manager, i'm a relatively recent hire myself, but I'm also the only developer still here (the guy who hired me, another goon, left to get paid more somewhere else). The position is posted as an entry-level (though fulltime) developer position, but if you think you are hot poo poo we could repost it as a senior position. The posted rate of pay is $36,000 - $45,000 DOE . We don't have a relocation budget.

The job is posted at https://www.uacareertrack.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=203493

This position is essentially the same as this posting, except that one isn't open anymore because I got the job and also multigl doesn't work here anymore.

PM me if you apply or want more info.

coaxmetal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 4, 2012

mute
Jul 17, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

It appears to be a contract gig through technisource for a State agency to manage their network. I was told the last guy was there 10 years.

PM or email me. I may (or may not if it's the wrong agency) have info on this.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

mute posted:

PM or email me. I may (or may not if it's the wrong agency) have info on this.

Will need to email. Don't have Pm. username(no spaces) at gmail

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Hey you! Do you write software? Are you in the New York City area? Do you want an intern this summer? I might be your guy.

My experience: Varying amounts (up to 5-6 years) of experience, mostly personal and academic, in C#, Python, C++, and PHP; along with standard frameworks for each of those platforms (Windows Forms, ASP.NET MVC, Qt, etc). Also experience with the major database systems (MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Postgres, and SQLite). Currently pursuing a BS in computer science.

What I'm looking for: An internship this summer in software development. I like embedded systems, interesting problems, and Unixy platforms. I also have a decent amount of web programming experience (primarily but not entirely ASP.NET).

What I'm NOT looking for: IT work that's not related to development (e.g. CJing). I do have sysadmin experience but I'm not all that interested in doing it.

Where I live: Southern CT.

Where I'm looking: NYC metro area (including southern CT, i.e. Stamford/Greenwich area). Willing to commute or relocate.

When I can start: Mid-to-late May.

Can be reached via: This thread, PM, me at brownieinmotion dot net.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

This thread isn't just for IT, right? This is probably a long-shot but why not?

My experience: Some layout work with Cadence; lots of circuit-level design for classes and for fun; lots of semiconductor/quantum physics coursework; cleanroom and fabrication experience (mainly Si, some GaAs); 8 years working in a materials lab with SEMs, XRD, XRF, FTIR, Raman, etc. I have a master's degree in electrical engineering and I am in the PhD program now.

What I'm looking for: 3-8 month internship in device engineering, preferably memory or storage related.

Where I live: USA

Where I'm looking: Anywhere, preferably outside of the US.

When I can start: Ideally June 2012, but this is very flexible.

Can be reached via: pm or request for other contact info in thread.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
I need a Jr. level .Net coder in the Kansas City area.

Who are we
Established eCommerce company

Where are we
Lenexa, KS off of 95th and Legler

What will you be doing
Creating integrations for new sales platforms using established web services. This is basically creating automated systems to work with our existing systems to adjust inventory and prices on sites like NewEgg and Sears. You will also assist in integrating new vendors inventory systems into our inventory systems.

You should have enough knowledge of MySQL and MS SQL to write your own queries.

Why should you work here
We are looking for someone who needs a foot in the door, possibly someone who has had enough of QA and is looking to move into coding or someone looking for that first real job out of college. Besides a very solid resume building experience we have a flexible work environment with minimal dress requirements. In addition we sell a very wide variety of goods; from lingerie to camping gear to Legos, which employees can purchase at cost.

You can PM or email me (Jherndo at gmail) your resume or any questions about the position.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 5, 2012

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I need a network administrator. None of this hokey I love static routes bullshit need apply. You should know what a router is, what a switch is, and be able to answer trivia. Tell me how BGP is different from OSPF using real world examples. I don't care if you're certified, but passing the CCIE lab work goes a long way. We have 2200 servers in 4 datacenters around the world. A small amount of travel is available, but not at all mandatory. Real world experience working with large high availability clusters is a good thing.

We're an all Juniper shop. You don't need to know Juniper or have ever touched one. The principles are all the same.

P.S. There will be whiteboards.

Hit me up at: [email="snip"][/email] with your resume attached.

Can you tell I'm sick of shopping for this position? This position is for immediate hire.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I need a network administrator. None of this hokey I love static routes bullshit need apply. You should know what a router is, what a switch is, and be able to answer trivia. Tell me how BGP is different from OSPF using real world examples. I don't care if you're certified, but passing the CCIE lab work goes a long way. We have 2200 servers in 4 datacenters around the world. A small amount of travel is available, but not at all mandatory. Real world experience working with large high availability clusters is a good thing.

We're an all Juniper shop. You don't need to know Juniper or have ever touched one. The principles are all the same.

P.S. There will be whiteboards.

Hit me up at: sajobs@hawknetworks.com with your resume attached.

Can you tell I'm sick of shopping for this position? This position is for immediate hire.

Where are you located?