Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

Our current stuff is a mess, but the plan is thin-provision+dedup?

What kind of SAN do you have? What kind of files do you serve?

We do thin already, it doesn't really tackle the issue of the maximum volume size you use though.

SAN is a HP P4000, so essentially block iSCSI.

Files, anything and everything, literally a mix from lots of 1kb files up to the tens of gigs.

I know I could just use 4tb volumes for example, but that doesn't sound pleasant if you have a logical drive issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nebulis01 posted:

What the hell does that have to do with NTFS? NTFS supports volume size of 256TB using a GPT disk. As long as your server is windows 2003 SP1 and above this hasn't been an issue in years.
NTFS lacks end-to-end integrity checking and other availability features that are implemented in higher-end filesystems like ZFS, GPFS2, OneFS and (ugh) btrfs that are built to scale. As a result, it's very poor at detecting corruption while the filesystem is online. That means that when the poo poo hits the fan, NTFS has to take the disk offline to run chkdsk. Have you ever tried to run chkdsk on a disk that's more than a few terabytes in size? It typically takes weeks where most proper filesystems take literally zero time because it's something they just constantly do in the background.

No offense, but have you ever run significant storage in production?

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Misogynist posted:

NTFS lacks end-to-end integrity checking and other availability features that are implemented in higher-end filesystems like ZFS, GPFS2, OneFS and (ugh) btrfs that are built to scale. As a result, it's very poor at detecting corruption while the filesystem is online. That means that when the poo poo hits the fan, NTFS has to take the disk offline to run chkdsk. Have you ever tried to run chkdsk on a disk that's more than a few terabytes in size? It typically takes weeks where most proper filesystems take literally zero time because it's something they just constantly do in the background.

No offense, but have you ever run significant storage in production?

TMYK. I've not run anything over 15TB in production. I've run CHKDSK on 3-5TB volumes and it does take a while.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Misogynist posted:

We avoid this problem by not running NTFS file servers. There's too many good storage platforms out there to waste time trying to roll our own and have them subject to these sorts of problems.

So you run a NAS with a better FS underneath?

Our Windows admin is leary of running files off anything but a Windows server, but he's also an old greybeard and formed a lot of his views back in the NT days, so I don't really know what to believe anymore.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
If someone could suggest a NAS I'd be open to options.

The biggest caveat is that once you factor in site level redundancy there's not much that comes close (at the price) to our P4000, so realistically I'd be looking for a NAS "head", physical or virtual that could be clustered across two locations.

That said, I've never had issues with NTFS that have made me doubt NTFS as a file system - but some of that no doubt comes down to not doing stuff like creating 10tb volumes full of data.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

FISHMANPET posted:

Our Windows admin is leary of running files off anything but a Windows server, but he's also an old greybeard and formed a lot of his views back in the NT days, so I don't really know what to believe anymore.

As long as the underlying host supports SMB I don't see why it would be an issue. I'm going to do some testing in our lab and see if it's worth the migration.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

A NAS generally has it's own predefined filesystem that it shares out via some protocol or another. If you are thinking "NAS but with NTFS filesystems" what you are likely thinking is SAN actually which presents blocks of storage to a device which then generally gets that devices file system slapped on it. I'm oversimplifying by a fair bit, but that's it in a nutshell.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Rhymenoserous posted:

A NAS generally has it's own predefined filesystem that it shares out via some protocol or another. If you are thinking "NAS but with NTFS filesystems" what you are likely thinking is SAN actually which presents blocks of storage to a device which then generally gets that devices file system slapped on it. I'm oversimplifying by a fair bit, but that's it in a nutshell.

Yeah, I'm aware of all that. We're currently in the midst of trying to consolidate storage into some kind of SAN and we were planning on just sharing iSCSI to all the machines because we have an irrational hatred of NAS stuff.

v:shobon:v Welp, my job is weird.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of all that. We're currently in the midst of trying to consolidate storage into some kind of SAN and we were planning on just sharing iSCSI to all the machines because we have an irrational hatred of NAS stuff.

You mean as in one lun shared to all the machines? Because this is a terrible idea if that's what you mean.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

NTFS isn't a clustered filesystem. You literally will be constantly corrupting the entire filesystem every time another client updates anything.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Whoops, that's not what I mean. I mean all our storage would be provisioned to servers that would then share that space out to clients, either via NFS or SMB, rather than using the device as a NAS.

I actually know a fair amount about this stuff, I just seem to be coming off like an idiot in this thread for some reason.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

FISHMANPET posted:

I actually know a fair amount about this stuff, I just seem to be coming off like an idiot in this thread for some reason.

who woulda thunk it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Whoops, that's not what I mean. I mean all our storage would be provisioned to servers that would then share that space out to clients, either via NFS or SMB, rather than using the device as a NAS.
A lot of people who don't need gigantic monolithic filesystems take this approach with DFS or something similar, because the alternatives are all pretty gross. :(

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
One advantage of front-ending your storage with a Windows box (via iSCSI or whatnot) is that you can get some really great reports from Windows tools.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

madsushi posted:

One advantage of front-ending your storage with a Windows box (via iSCSI or whatnot) is that you can get some really great reports from Windows tools.

What kind of reports/tools?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

three posted:

What kind of reports/tools?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731206(WS.10).aspx

Duplicate Files
Lists files that appear to be duplicates (files with the same size and last-modified time). Use this report to identify and reclaim disk space that is wasted because of duplicate files.

File Screening Audit
Lists file screening events that have occurred on the server for a specified number of days. Use this report to identify users or applications that violate screening policies.

Files by File Group
Lists files that belong to specified file groups. Use this report to identify file group usage patterns and to identify file groups that occupy large amounts of disk space. This can help you determine which file screens to configure on the server.

Files by Owner
Lists files, grouped by users who own them. Use this report to analyze usage patterns on the server and to identify users who use large amounts of disk space.

Large Files
Lists files that are of a specified size or larger. Use this report to identify files that are consuming the most disk space on the server. This can help you quickly reclaim large quantities of disk space.

Least Recently Accessed Files
Lists files that have not been accessed for a specified number of days. This can help you identify seldom used data that might be archived and removed from the server.

Most Recently Accessed Files
Lists files that have been accessed within a specified number of days. Use this report to identify frequently used data that needs to be highly available.
Quota Usage

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The reporting function is a life saver and really gives you heads up on whos backing up their iTunes to their network drive. (Which is not allowed in our organization to begin with)

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

incoherent posted:

The reporting function is a life saver and really gives you heads up on whos backing up their iTunes to their network drive. (Which is not allowed in our organization to begin with)

Isn't that what File Screens are for in the first place? Prevent users from saving .wav .mp3 .flac .mp4 files, voila!

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Wicaeed posted:

Isn't that what File Screens are for in the first place? Prevent users from saving .wav .mp3 .flac .mp4 files, voila!

Sadly some people have legit uses for those files :\

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Wicaeed posted:

I thought file screens would be an absolute god send until I rolled them out and realized that they aren't (IIRC) user based ACLs at all, but are instead folder\share based. Meaning the CEO has the exact same limit to \importantcrap\ as the janitor who uploads all of his Itunes mp3s.

I wound up never using it to do anything but report because it became a headache.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Wicaeed posted:

Unfortunately, several of our worst offenders also have a terabyte of recordings of bird songs that are completely legitimate and must be retained to comply with a federal grant.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Couldn't you just move that to some cheap dell storage or something? I hope that kind of poo poo isn't wasting space on a netapp or emc.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
This thread is pretty much the Enterprise anything megathread now, correct?

I have a question about you people who have deployed Active Sync. We still run Exchange 2003 SP2. I've enabled Active Sync and it works loving brilliantly. However, we want to deploy it for our users but I don't see a way of tracking devices that are syncing with our server. If John Doe all of a sudden wants to sync is phone and tablet, I want to be able to see this. How does everyone track this? We use BES for our BlackBerry users at the moment so similar control would be great.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

IT Guy posted:

This thread is pretty much the Enterprise anything megathread now, correct?

I have a question about you people who have deployed Active Sync. We still run Exchange 2003 SP2. I've enabled Active Sync and it works loving brilliantly. However, we want to deploy it for our users but I don't see a way of tracking devices that are syncing with our server. If John Doe all of a sudden wants to sync is phone and tablet, I want to be able to see this. How does everyone track this? We use BES for our BlackBerry users at the moment so similar control would be great.

Pretty sure the short answer is that you can't.

Exchange 2010 gives you a shitload of visibility there, as well as a very cool quarantine feature for ActiveSync devices plus control over what can/can't create a partnership.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can, but it's a bit poo poo:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22243

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
If it's poo poo, I probably won't even get into it then. I'll wait until we decide to upgrade to Exchange 2010 then it seems. In the meantime, I guess I'll just track users in an Excel document FFS.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Quarantining devices is very handy. I get the odd user that tries to add their phone without getting company approval and they always get all sheepish when they have to come ask to have it activated.

ryo
Jan 15, 2003
How are people managing with Windows 7 laptops and synchronising offline files? We've made a lot of changes recently, most significantly being:

- Moved from crappy RAID attached to Windows server as file storage to a NetApp
- Redirecting all the folders (rather than just My Documents) leaving much smaller roaming profiles
- Upgraded everyone to Windows 7.

The problem now is that synchronising is a nightmare. It seems to be a combination of Microsoft deciding no-one could possibly ever want to synchronise when logging out (what were they thinking?) and bad software (Thunderbird/Firefox) seemingly not being able to get to grips with AppData being redirected. We've had a lot of people whose Thunderbird contacts or Firefox bookmarks will just randomly disappear after we redirected AppData out of their roaming profile.

One of the main problems though is the lack of options to synchronise when logging out. I've looked around online a bit and the best I've found is a VBScript that forces a synchronise here. I've tried putting it as a logout script, and it "works", but it takes ages and doesn't tell the user what it's doing. It also throws up dialogue boxes for files it can't sync, which isn't very user friendly.

Any input as to how others are doing this is appreciated!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ryo posted:

How are people managing with Windows 7 laptops and synchronising offline files? We've made a lot of changes recently, most significantly being:

- Moved from crappy RAID attached to Windows server as file storage to a NetApp
- Redirecting all the folders (rather than just My Documents) leaving much smaller roaming profiles
- Upgraded everyone to Windows 7.

The problem now is that synchronising is a nightmare. It seems to be a combination of Microsoft deciding no-one could possibly ever want to synchronise when logging out (what were they thinking?) and bad software (Thunderbird/Firefox) seemingly not being able to get to grips with AppData being redirected. We've had a lot of people whose Thunderbird contacts or Firefox bookmarks will just randomly disappear after we redirected AppData out of their roaming profile.

One of the main problems though is the lack of options to synchronise when logging out. I've looked around online a bit and the best I've found is a VBScript that forces a synchronise here. I've tried putting it as a logout script, and it "works", but it takes ages and doesn't tell the user what it's doing. It also throws up dialogue boxes for files it can't sync, which isn't very user friendly.

Any input as to how others are doing this is appreciated!

Group Policy to disable that loving lovely rear end feature. It has no place in an Enterprise environment, jesus christ. Non-SQL Database programs like Quickbooks/Quicken where people work off of the same file are absolute nightmares with that function in place.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, don't redirect AppData.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah, don't redirect AppData.

And if you have, just removing the policy won't actually remove it, you have to change it to "Redirect to the local userprofile location."

ryo
Jan 15, 2003
We did have appdata in roaming profiles, but people would end up with gigantic roamin profiles because of thunderbird. This would all be solved if we had an exchange server I guess but for now we can't have one so we're doing the best we can.

I suppose we could put appdata back into the roaming profile but then we'd be back to hour-long log out times.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
We disabled the global search thing when it was introduced to keep Thunderbird from bloating roaming profiles:

code:
lockPref("mailnews.database.global.indexer.enabled", false);
lockPref("mail.server.default.offline_download", false);
lockPref("mail.server.default.autosync_offline_stores", false);
Not sure what the second and third ones do exactly or if they're still necessary.

Exchange is coming for us and it won't be soon enough.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Thank God for Google Apps.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So what is going to be the best way for me to remove 3 network printers from about 30-40 user accounts?

We are in the process of commissioning a new print server, and are rolling out the new printers via Desktop Authority. We want to make it so that any old printers hosted on our old print server are removed from the users computers, but I haven't found any way to do this in Desktop Authority (yet).

Suggestions?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wicaeed posted:

So what is going to be the best way for me to remove 3 network printers from about 30-40 user accounts?

We are in the process of commissioning a new print server, and are rolling out the new printers via Desktop Authority. We want to make it so that any old printers hosted on our old print server are removed from the users computers, but I haven't found any way to do this in Desktop Authority (yet).

Suggestions?

I did this about 3 years ago via logon script and vbs at my old job as a student worker. Pretty much just had wrote the script to loop through printers and remove specific ones we were looking for. Sadly I don't have a copy of that script.

If I get some time tonight I will see if I can get something together, I absolutely loath doing things manually, so will try and automate everything I can.

Also, desktop authority is pretty loving solid. We had it here for the first hear or so and it made things so easy. You will notice that it makes them too easy, so good luck when you move to a new environment and it doesn't do all the voodoo for you.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Wicaeed posted:

Suggestions?

Depends on how it was added;

Via share;

@Rundll32.exe printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /dn /q /n"\\server\printersharename"

Via printer name;

@Cscript.exe //nologo //b "%windir%\system32\Prnmngr.vbs" -d -p "\\server\printer name"

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Thank God for Google Apps.

drat straight.

I still have people who insist on using Outlook with it, though :negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

^ I'm in the same position, I've migrated people to Google Apps and find the web interfaces more than adequate (the search kicks the poo poo out of Outlook, unsurprisingly). However there are a couple of people who expect Google Apps to be Exchange, except made by Google, and can't grasp the concept that not every feature in Outlook works the same as it used to, or is available.

There's also the ones plain scared of web apps. Is there a desktop client for Google Apps that works better than Outlook, or am I better off just pushing out the standlone Apps package (basically just shortcuts to Chrome that load the Gmail, Calendar etc pages without any other browser UI elements) and hoping people get the hint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
I guess this question best fits here. I have a server with 4 IP addresses because it is hosting 4 HTTPS web sites. The DNS is managed at a higher level so I requested they create 4 A records pointing to each IP address. It will work for a couple hours after they set the records but over time or after a reboot one of the records will be pointing to 4 IP addresses instead of just 1. Any ideas what could be causing the DNS to update and point to 4 IP's instead of just the 1?