Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Essobie posted:

Seconding this. It also will let you take a picture with the volume rocker buttons, and a bunch of swipe shortcuts.
It actually lets you customize what functions the volume rocker should have, as well as a bunch of other buttons, if your device has them. It's pretty awesome. Better than Vignette, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pissflaps posted:

What's the closest approximation to ios's 'app folders' you can get for android? Everything seems to involve setting up widgets that you then manually add apps to through a list. I'd prefer to just drag and drop. Is this possible?

Edit: never mind, realised that Go Launcher EX does this so I'll just use that.

Are you talking about a folder on the home screen with apps in it? On earlier versions you just long press and choose folder. On ICS you just drag one app on top of another and it makes a folder.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Cojawfee posted:

Are you talking about a folder on the home screen with apps in it? On earlier versions you just long press and choose folder. On ICS you just drag one app on top of another and it makes a folder.

That is how it works in go launcher. However, I didn't like the underlay icon even when you replace the icon (it puts this gradient behind them so you know it is a folder) . I'm just using folder organizer for folders anyway so it doesn't matter.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I've been having some music issues on my new GN. First of all, Google Music seems to be trying to sync my entire library (80 gigs) onto my phone, which I absolutely don't want but can't seem to undo. I can stop it from downloading by telling it to only use Wifi, but that doesn't delete the que. On top of that, not all the songs I currently have on my phone are even showing up. I had everything I wanted on my OG Droid and just moved the whole music folder over, so I don't know why it doesn't work unless it's got to do with ICE being so different from Android 2.2 or whatever old rear end version was on my last phone. Does anyone know how to fix these issues?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

The Casualty posted:

I've been having some music issues on my new GN. First of all, Google Music seems to be trying to sync my entire library (80 gigs) onto my phone, which I absolutely don't want but can't seem to undo. I can stop it from downloading by telling it to only use Wifi, but that doesn't delete the que. On top of that, not all the songs I currently have on my phone are even showing up. I had everything I wanted on my OG Droid and just moved the whole music folder over, so I don't know why it doesn't work unless it's got to do with ICE being so different from Android 2.2 or whatever old rear end version was on my last phone. Does anyone know how to fix these issues?

Sooo, I'll ask the opposite. How did you tell google to make all of your music offline? I've been trying to figure it out since my Note has a 32 gig sd card (tee-hee).

As for your issue, I'm not sure.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

hotsauce posted:

Sooo, I'll ask the opposite. How did you tell google to make all of your music offline? I've been trying to figure it out since my Note has a 32 gig sd card (tee-hee).

I don't even know. I checked off like 5 albums to be uploaded and the next thing I know there's like 4,000 songs and a few audiobooks in line to be sent to the phone. I think it did it all automatically via the Google Music Manager program on my computer. I think I might have to change the settings there, then uninstall Music on my phone, and start over, because as far as I can tell there's no way to clear the cue (this kind of bullshit is why I stopped using iTunes way back in the day...)

edit: I just cleared the cue by clearing the app's data in the main app settings, just in case anyone else was wondering how to.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 26, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just move the music to the SD card using a computer? If all of your music is on the card you wouldn't need to turn on the streaming feature at all.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

LastInLine posted:

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just move the music to the SD card using a computer? If all of your music is on the card you wouldn't need to turn on the streaming feature at all.

I agree, which is why I transferred all my songs directly the first time. The problem is, several hundred megs worth of songs (including most of the stuff I listen to most often) simply don't appear in any music player I've tried. It's like they aren't even on the phone, and they worked fine on the previous phone.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Thermopyle, are you aware of any issues with Woofi and ICS? I'm having a problem with the app not restarting WiFi when I reach one of my designated locations. It will turn it off just fine when I leave, but won't do anything when I get back. I've turned off the "travel time" setting to see if that helps.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Casualty posted:

I don't even know. I checked off like 5 albums to be uploaded and the next thing I know there's like 4,000 songs and a few audiobooks in line to be sent to the phone. I think it did it all automatically via the Google Music Manager program on my computer. I think I might have to change the settings there, then uninstall Music on my phone, and start over, because as far as I can tell there's no way to clear the cue (this kind of bullshit is why I stopped using iTunes way back in the day...)

edit: I just cleared the cue by clearing the app's data in the main app settings, just in case anyone else was wondering how to.

You understand its a cloud service right?

I ask because I have just shy of 20,000 songs on it and my phone storage is unaffected. And I have access to everything minus some obscure encoded wma poo poo or really hosed up bitrate tracks.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

EbolaIvory posted:

You understand its a cloud service right?

Yeah, but unless I'm failing to grasp something basic here, why would I want to automatically download dozens of gigs of music to my phone when there's only about 5 gigs I want to have, and everything else can stream when I feel like it? The only songs I really want on my phone are what I listen to when I'm working out, or on the train, and just some songs I really like. Everything else can just sit on my home computer and I can stream it. Why would I want all that stuff taking up space on my phone? It isn't just saying "hey I synced to your google account so you can stream all these songs," it's going "hey by the way I'm downloading 4,000 tracks to your hard drive!"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Casualty posted:

I had everything I wanted on my OG Droid and just moved the whole music folder over

Not sure, but this might have been your problem. Were you trying to avoid redownloading everything by moving the cached songs over? I doubt this would work, as I'm pretty sure it does some indexing as it downloads the songs. You probably need to delete that folder.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Zombie Rasputin posted:

Not sure, but this might have been your problem. Were you trying to avoid redownloading everything by moving the cached songs over? I doubt this would work, as I'm pretty sure it does some indexing as it downloads the songs. You probably need to delete that folder.

I'm going to do that, and then re-upload all the music from the Droid into a separate folder apart from the rest of my PC's music. Then, I'll upload that to Google Music, and store it on the new phone. Maybe that will unfuck everything. There's got to be a better way :/

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

ManMythLegend posted:

Thermopyle, are you aware of any issues with Woofi and ICS? I'm having a problem with the app not restarting WiFi when I reach one of my designated locations. It will turn it off just fine when I leave, but won't do anything when I get back. I've turned off the "travel time" setting to see if that helps.

Same here. I have it on a 30-minute location check, but it never seems to switch back to WiFi when I get home.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Ok, I figured out what was wrong with my music, but not how to fix it yet. Somehow, Google Music has categorized a couple thousand songs into an "Unknown Album" under one of the bands I was tagging for offline use. Thus, all these songs were being added to the download cue. Unfortunately I have no clue how I'm supposed to remove them, because same "album" doesn't exist on the PC-side interface, and can't be deleted from the phone-side interface :argh:

edit: Oh God the same album exists in most of my other bands, what in the gently caress happened :gonk:

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 27, 2011

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
My googling has failed me:

I like the way Sense's lock screen lets me unlock straight to SMS with an icon that also shows how many unread I have.

Is there an app that'll let me have the same functionality in a regular slider unlock? WidgetLocker doesn't show that I have unread, and I'd prefer not having any "regular" buttons on my lock screen.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Casualty posted:

Yeah, but unless I'm failing to grasp something basic here, why would I want to automatically download dozens of gigs of music to my phone when there's only about 5 gigs I want to have, and everything else can stream when I feel like it? The only songs I really want on my phone are what I listen to when I'm working out, or on the train, and just some songs I really like. Everything else can just sit on my home computer and I can stream it. Why would I want all that stuff taking up space on my phone? It isn't just saying "hey I synced to your google account so you can stream all these songs," it's going "hey by the way I'm downloading 4,000 tracks to your hard drive!"

so manually move a few gigs or use win amp or something to micro manage local music and use google for cloud services? That's what I've always done. That way I have music if I'm in dead areas or have poo poo service .

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

EbolaIvory posted:

so manually move a few gigs or use win amp or something to micro manage local music and use google for cloud services? That's what I've always done. That way I have music if I'm in dead areas or have poo poo service .

I did all that first. I'm not used to cloud computing yet so I didn't even turn to Google Music until I got frustrated by trying Winamp, Btunes, and DoubleTwist, only to have all of them start making GBS threads the bed when it came to actually detecting a bunch of my songs (even after I messed around with setting and moved folders and files around). I've gotten everything taken care of now, but it's taken more micro-management of Google Music than I wanted, because for some reason it's spreading hundreds of unorganized songs across a bunch of different bands that they don't belong in.

I've probably got to sit down one of these days and manually re-categorize all those tracks so that the organization isn't totally hosed.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
This is probably a silly request, but can anyone recommend a world clock widget that displays 2 or 3 time zones? There are just so drat many I don't know which to pick.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Casualty posted:

I did all that first. I'm not used to cloud computing yet so I didn't even turn to Google Music until I got frustrated by trying Winamp, Btunes, and DoubleTwist, only to have all of them start making GBS threads the bed when it came to actually detecting a bunch of my songs (even after I messed around with setting and moved folders and files around). I've gotten everything taken care of now, but it's taken more micro-management of Google Music than I wanted, because for some reason it's spreading hundreds of unorganized songs across a bunch of different bands that they don't belong in.

I've probably got to sit down one of these days and manually re-categorize all those tracks so that the organization isn't totally hosed.
When your metadata is hosed it fucks up things that rely on metadata. Is this surprising anyone?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Edit: nvm

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Loutre posted:

I like the way Sense's lock screen lets me unlock straight to SMS with an icon that also shows how many unread I have.

Is there an app that'll let me have the same functionality in a regular slider unlock? WidgetLocker doesn't show that I have unread, and I'd prefer not having any "regular" buttons on my lock screen.

I use Milocker with the va asteria lockscreen. It has a missed calls and an unread sms count and lets you unlock to sms. As a bonus it does not show a preview of the message on the lockscreen, I never understood why manufacturers did that. Pretty minimal lockscreen too.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How do I keep the Market from updating itself, so I can actually use a version that doesn't force close everytime I try to view an app page or update my apps?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Does anyone remember the app that took over setting your ringtone from the standard interface? Made it much easier to select a ringtone from a folder and I can't for the life of me remember what its called.

EDIT: \/\/\/ YES! Thank you. Link for those that might want it: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.angryredplanet.android.rings_extended

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 27, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Athenry posted:

Does anyone remember the app that took over setting your ringtone from the standard interface? Made it much easier to select a ringtone from a folder and I can't for the life of me remember what its called.

Rings Extended?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

king of the bongo posted:

I use Milocker with the va asteria lockscreen. It has a missed calls and an unread sms count and lets you unlock to sms. As a bonus it does not show a preview of the message on the lockscreen, I never understood why manufacturers did that. Pretty minimal lockscreen too.

Not sure if it does this on all devices, but MiLocker breaks multitouch on my Evo3D.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

How do I keep the Market from updating itself, so I can actually use a version that doesn't force close everytime I try to view an app page or update my apps?
As far as I know, you can't.

It's weird to me you're having so much trouble with the current Market, for me it's running better than it ever has. Mine also never seems to update on its own, I always have to install an apk.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Casualty posted:

I know this takes a long time, but it is absolutely worth it. Get high quality album art while you're at it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The Casualty posted:

I don't know how you catagorized them personally, but if everything is in folders by artist or whatever, PowerAMP has a library option that lets you select from folders rather than tags.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zombie Rasputin posted:

I know this takes a long time, but it is absolutely worth it. Get high quality album art while you're at it.

Tag&Rename is a great program for batch editing tags.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Loutre posted:

If you install ADWNotifier, you can have an unread count over the SMS icon on WidgetLocker.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Any recommendations for a free IRC app?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Haeleus posted:

AndChat (Pretty sure it's free, it is great though)

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

SpacePig posted:

I don't know how you catagorized them personally, but if everything is in folders by artist or whatever, PowerAMP has a library option that lets you select from folders rather than tags.

My organization is decent up to a point. Most of the stuff I've stored on my hard drive within the past 7-8 years is well organized (folders sorted by band -> album), everything before that is terrible. All that stuff from high school is just kinda lumped into a big folder of stupidity. I should just delete the whole folder, it's a monument to terrible taste in music anyways.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Haeleus posted:

I like yaaic (yet another android irc client).

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
AndroIRC is my preferred client. The dark theme matches very well with Cyanbread.

By the way I'm curious if there is any way I can stuff the browser from MIUI onto Cyanogen. It's really drat smooth and the first browser that has impressed me since Dolphin Browser Lite. Sadly DBLite isn't exactly the most beautiful thing out there and boy howdy do I love my eyecandy.

Also, has anyone managed to make the ICS camera a flashable package?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LastInLine posted:

As far as I know, you can't.

It's weird to me you're having so much trouble with the current Market, for me it's running better than it ever has. Mine also never seems to update on its own, I always have to install an apk.

Well poo poo. Guess I'm stuck without app updates until they push a new Market, if the next one even works. Goddamnit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

AndroIRC is my preferred client. The dark theme matches very well with Cyanbread.

By the way I'm curious if there is any way I can stuff the browser from MIUI onto Cyanogen. It's really drat smooth and the first browser that has impressed me since Dolphin Browser Lite. Sadly DBLite isn't exactly the most beautiful thing out there and boy howdy do I love my eyecandy.

Also, has anyone managed to make the ICS camera a flashable package?
Huh, they took Miren Browser off the Market. Here's an old version I found on xda but in the thread people also recommended Boat Browser as a Miren replacement.

As for the ICS camera, I'm sure it requires some support in the ROM to work.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

SplitSoul posted:

Well poo poo. Guess I'm stuck without app updates until they push a new Market, if the next one even works. Goddamnit.

If you're rooted you can freeze Market Updater with Titanium Backup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I have a Samsung Galaxy SII, I'm wondering, is the Samsung App market... legal? The thing came with the phone, and it has a lot of games freely available that cost money in the Android market.

• Locked thread