Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

archangelwar posted:

No, Thomas Paine wrote it. But they do not understand what it means at all, why he wrote it, or the context of the quote. It was found in Common Sense where he was specifically referring to the British monarchy and was rallying against the British Loyalists who were working for the various British government entities in the colonies or were part of the British aristocracy. Notice the phrase "kept citizen." He was not referring to social programs at all.

If he wrote it, it was not in "Common Sense." Seriously, go check. Use the phrase "kept citizen" if you like:
http://www.ushistory.org/paine/commonsense/singlehtml.htm
http://www.earlyamerica.com/earlyamerica/milestones/commonsense/
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/147/147-h/147-h.htm

And the use of the term "entrepreneur" makes it highly suspect that Paine could have written it at all:
http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=entrepreneur&year_start=1700&year_end=2000&corpus=0&smoothing=3

Zoom in on what LOOKS like a likely candidate time period, and you'll find only unrelated texts, mostly in French, and the remaining instances of the term are the name of a ship.

It is a falsely-attributed quotation. Probably deliberately on someone's part, but once these things start, they gain a life of their own. People repeating it use one another's repetition of it as confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

VideoTapir posted:

If he wrote it, it was not in "Common Sense." Seriously, go check. Use the phrase "kept citizen" if you like:
http://www.ushistory.org/paine/commonsense/singlehtml.htm
http://www.earlyamerica.com/earlyamerica/milestones/commonsense/
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/147/147-h/147-h.htm

And the use of the term "entrepreneur" makes it highly suspect that Paine could have written it at all:
http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=entrepreneur&year_start=1700&year_end=2000&corpus=0&smoothing=3

Zoom in on what LOOKS like a likely candidate time period, and you'll find only unrelated texts, mostly in French, and the remaining instances of the term are the name of a ship.

It is a falsely-attributed quotation. Probably deliberately on someone's part, but once these things start, they gain a life of their own. People repeating it use one another's repetition of it as confirmation.

Wow, holy poo poo, I was totally suckered. This thing has such a life of its own that even legit sites attribute it to Common Sense, and it has been ages since I last looked at it. For me, it was easy to attribute to Thomas Paine simply because of his disdain for British nobility. Wow.

Edit: Serves me right for not going to the source and checking immediately.

archangelwar fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 28, 2011

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

archangelwar posted:

Wow, holy poo poo, I was totally suckered. This thing has such a life of its own that even legit sites attribute it to Common Sense, and it has been ages since I last looked at it. For me, it was easy to attribute to Thomas Paine simply because of his disdain for British nobility. Wow.

Edit: Serves me right for not going to the source and checking immediately.

What legit sites? AFAIK, there are no quotation sites dedicated to more than one author that actually make any effort to keep things correct except maybe Wikiquote. They're ad farms, like lyrics sites.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

VideoTapir posted:

What legit sites? AFAIK, there are no quotation sites dedicated to more than one author that actually make any effort to keep things correct except maybe Wikiquote. They're ad farms, like lyrics sites.

Well I take that back, the sites are obviously not legit, but I figured they would do some fact checking. You have just shattered my entire world and now I can trust no one. :(

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

nsaP posted:

I blame Chuck Norris. This column was copied in a small town rag in SE Ohio. My grandpa owns land out there and brought a paper into town. poo poo, if they read this kind of stuff in the paper and only watch Fox News on the satellite tv, I can see how they'd think there's a war on Christmas.

Except that most of Norris list is bullshit, either being inclusive or only related to religion as much as he's injected his into the debate (the military changing the sodomy rule comes to mind here).

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/chuck-norris/2011/12/20/feds-war-religion-part-1-2

Is there a link for this somewhere? Maybe Newsbusters mobile site is retarded (I'm on my phone) but I can't get to the original article for this.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there a link for this somewhere? Maybe Newsbusters mobile site is retarded (I'm on my phone) but I can't get to the original article for this.
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=48245

Try that, or just searching 'chuck norris fed christmas'. I'm on safari mobile now and that newsbusters link didn't work for me either.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

This has showed up in my Facebook feed three four times today.

Service guarantees citizenship, I guess.

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 29, 2011

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

dur posted:

This has showed up in my Facebook feed three times today.

Service guarantees citizenship, I guess.

Who's in 3, 4 (Nixon?), and 8?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Pretty sure it's:

Eisenhower, Kennedy, LBJ, Nixon
Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I
Bush 2, Clinton, Obama

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
LBJ, Nixon, and Bush Sr. in that order, I think.

Did Reagan actually ever see active duty? I thought he was in the division that made films.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

VideoTapir posted:

If he wrote it, it was not in "Common Sense." Seriously, go check. Use the phrase "kept citizen" if you like

By Dr. Dean Alfrage

http://argee.net/my_creed.htm

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Toffile posted:

LBJ, Nixon, and Bush Sr. in that order, I think.

Did Reagan actually ever see active duty? I thought he was in the division that made films.

Looks like he enlisted into the reserve in 1937 and was assigned to Troop B, 322nd Cavalry (holy crap!) in Iowa. He was nearsighted, so they couldn't send him overseas when he was called to active duty. They put him into the AAF Public Relations in '42 and he put on shows, helped in fund raisers, and made recruiting and training films.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Its not like conservatives actually care. Remember that time there was a Dem candidate who have actually served in combat (Kerry). They literally just pretended he was lying about everything and turned it against the guy who was IN A loving WAR.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Awesome, thanks! Now I have a topic of conversation next time I see it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Its not like conservatives actually care. Remember that time there was a Dem candidate who have actually served in combat (Kerry). They literally just pretended he was lying about everything and turned it against the guy who was IN A loving WAR.

quote:

Chambliss focused on the issue of national defense and homeland security during his campaign, and released an ad that included Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein, highlighting Cleland's record on the issues of war and terrorism.[8]

Chambliss received criticism from Democrats and Republicans for this ad, pointing out that he, who hadn't served in the Vietnam War due to receiving military deferments, had attacked a Vietnam War veteran who lost three limbs during his service for not being tough enough on issues of war and homeland security. Republican Senator John McCain of Arizona said of one ad, "[I]t's worse than disgraceful, it's reprehensible;" Senator Chuck Hagel of Nebraska said the ads were "beyond offensive to me."[9] On the other hand, Chambliss supporters say the ad did not question Cleland's patriotism, but rather his judgment.[10][11]

Chambliss won the election, receiving 53 percent of the votes to Cleland's 46 percent.

All you have to do to win an election is literally photoshop your opponent next to Osama Bin Laden. No matter how untrue or hypocritical it is.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

XyloJW posted:

All you have to do to win an election is literally photoshop your opponent next to Osama Bin Laden. No matter how untrue or hypocritical it is.

By the way, Washington Post named that guy (Senator Saxby Chambliss) Best Leader of 2011.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

One big part of why I dumped the Republican party. They (the party bosses and right-wing media personalities) are the first to want to go to war, but they don't do any of the fighting themselves.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

He's not much better for them, though:

Wikipedia posted:

[Alfrage] criticized the United States Supreme Court for its treatment of New Deal programs, urging they adopt a more progressive attitude towards the policies. He contended that the programs should not be evaluated solely on their legality, but on their possible moral and economic effects, as well as public perception at the time.[5] He supported Truman's notion of a Living Constitution.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Racist family is acting up on facebook again, and my brother-in-law posted this beauty about a recent suspected Islamic Honor Killing.

Now, it is obvious that this is still conjecture, since the guy's family life was a mess at that point anyway, but I know I have read similar stories dealing with members of the KKK or such groups who went after their families for issues like dating outside of their race. My google-fu is weak today.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's not much better for them, though:

Oh yeah, he was a total liberal and supporter of FDR. The point is really to say "Look, when you pass this poo poo along, you're passing on false information like 99% of the time. Stop buying into it and stop spreading it."

Cynnik
Nov 19, 2002

this seems all too familiar
You really need to cite specific examples? How many white dads do you know that would flip out because their daughter is dating a black guy:

http://newsone.com/nation/casey-gane-mccalla/father-threatens-to-kill-black-students-for-talking-to-daughter/

What about when a man kills/beats his wife because she spilled the milk or some other crazy thing?

People use all sorts of hosed up poo poo to try to justify violence towards each other.

God told me to kill my son:

http://www.9news.com/news/article/205850/188/Dad-God-told-me-to-kill-my-son

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Racist family is acting up on facebook again, and my brother-in-law posted this beauty about a recent suspected Islamic Honor Killing.

Now, it is obvious that this is still conjecture, since the guy's family life was a mess at that point anyway, but I know I have read similar stories dealing with members of the KKK or such groups who went after their families for issues like dating outside of their race. My google-fu is weak today.

I can't believe I just read a website called "Jihad Watch". Anyways, I fail to see their point. People kill their families for all kinds of reasons. Though, really they're all the same reason, they guy was clearly mentally unhealthy. The fact that he was Muslim may have been an ingredient in certain behaviors, like not liking this boy or that boy. But he didn't kill his whole family because he was a Muslim, he did it because he was out of his freaking mind. Just like these guys.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Cynnik posted:

You really need to cite specific examples? How many white dads do you know that would flip out because their daughter is dating a black guy:

http://newsone.com/nation/casey-gane-mccalla/father-threatens-to-kill-black-students-for-talking-to-daughter/

What about when a man kills/beats his wife because she spilled the milk or some other crazy thing?

People use all sorts of hosed up poo poo to try to justify violence towards each other.

God told me to kill my son:

http://www.9news.com/news/article/205850/188/Dad-God-told-me-to-kill-my-son

The thing is, he killed himself and five family members. Honor killings, unfortunately, really do happen in some places. But how could you claim this was an "honor killing". He didn't just kill his daughter, he killed his wife and other family members and himself. It wasn't even a case of "I don't like my daughter talking to infidels", he flat out lost it.

Err... I didn't mean how could you, Cynnik, claim it was an honor killing. I meant the original website. It makes no sense, and I don't think you even need to argue that there are whites who hate it when their daughters date blacks, because this was so obviously so much more than that.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Sarion posted:

Err... I didn't mean how could you, Cynnik, claim it was an honor killing. I meant the original website.

"One" is a good pronoun for avoiding confusion!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Implying Muslims praying shouldn't be okay, among other things.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

AlternateNu posted:

I can't decide if these comments are terrible or exactly the same as what I'd see on Freep.

quote:

Alarmed Pig Farmer replied to comment from SSL | December 27, 2011 2:39 PM | Reply

WE ARE AT WAR!

An update to the great Eagles song: To-Kill-A Sunrise.
No we're not, we ain't at war; they are, one self-declared against us, like it or not,
Commander-in-Chief Barack says we ain't, and he's rat on, we're stuck like a clot,
Surrenderers bleeding in a unilateral war against those named Surrender!, listen!
To the sound of us meekly shuffling into a sunset that'll neither shine nor glisten.
- the Holy Prophet APF

quote:

ebonystone | December 27, 2011 2:56 PM | Reply

This story shows why there are so few "moderate" Moslems or at least so few willing to identify themselves as moderate: the other Moslems kill them.
This story -- and others about American Moslem daughters killed by fathers or brothers -- must make every American Moslem girl, no matter how "assimilated" or "moderate" the family, wonder if her own father would kill her for stepping beyond a certain limit. This example will keep hundreds of other girls "in line."

quote:

Xero G | December 27, 2011 3:04 PM | Reply

You better watch out,
You better not try,
Better not talk to an infidel guy,
Santa Claus is coming to town.

He knows where you've been sleeping,
He knows what course to take
He knows if you bring disrespect
Your life is his to take.

Better watch out
Better not cry,
Honor's restored only when you die
Santa Claus is coming to town.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

xwonderboyx posted:

Oh, I know! Most of the people in Picture A have better throwing arms, right?

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

xwonderboyx posted:

Why is this legal... but this is also?

(See also "can't say Christmas")

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

xwonderboyx posted:

I was almost going to say "I don't see the problem with this one," and then I noticed I had read the captions backward.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

xwonderboyx posted:

The second picture isn't okay because of this:

Matthew 6:5-6 posted:

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

So, who, other than some random gaggle of internet people, is actually complaining about Tebow?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 30, 2011

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Dr Christmas posted:

So, who, other than some random gaggle of internet people, is actually complaining about Tebow?

A lot of people who actually watch football for the football parts are getting annoyed at him interrupting the game every score.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dr Christmas posted:

The announcers as well apparently. Its a victory celebration. It got old real quick and annoying real quick. But he's praying so...it an attack on our religiously founded national ideals and I bet your'd let a Mooslim pray after a 2 yards gain. You'd probably give him a pray rug and point him towards the Moon too.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Dr Christmas posted:

Broncos fans who understand what a *good* quarterback is?

The kid has captured the media's attention, and they shove his ridiculous antics/faith in our face every drat sunday. Just play the drat game! (see also the Matthew quote a few posts back)

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Dr Christmas posted:

I try to ignore everything about sports so I had no clue who that guy was before Christmas, when my brother was saying that sports people of all religious persuasions should be able to voice their feelings without censorship, and our Fox-news-watching aunt started going off about what a "loving idiot liberal moron" my brother was, that all "mooslems" should be executed, and this is a "Judeo-Christian" nation so "gently caress the rest of them".

Merry Christmas? :smith:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I try to ignore everything about sports so I had no clue who that guy was before Christmas, when my brother was saying that sports people of all religious persuasions should be able to voice their feelings without censorship, and our Fox-news-watching aunt started going off about what a "loving idiot liberal moron" my brother was, that all "mooslems" should be executed, and this is a "Judeo-Christian" nation so "gently caress the rest of them".

Merry Christmas? :smith:

This is when you hit your aunt with a rolled-up newspaper. It's the only way they'll learn. :colbert:

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh
I haven't heard of anybody actually suggesting that Tebow shouldn't be allowed to pray, but rather that it's irritating. The fact that it is irritating is due more to the media claiming divine intervention when the Broncos had a few 4th quarter comebacks. If his skills were due to divine intervention, then God should stay out of football, as he's not very good.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Thenipwax posted:

I haven't heard of anybody actually suggesting that Tebow shouldn't be allowed to pray, but rather that it's irritating. The fact that it is irritating is due more to the media claiming divine intervention when the Broncos had a few 4th quarter comebacks. If his skills were due to divine intervention, then God should stay out of football, as he's not very good.

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a Christian on the other team. He's basically implying God is making them lose or God is not on their side. I mean, what if the other side starts praying during the game?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

XyloJW posted:

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a Christian on the other team. He's basically implying God is making them lose or God is not on their side. I mean, what if the other side starts praying during the game?
It'd be interpreted as mocking Tebow, even if they were doing it in good faith.

In fact, it's already been done.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

XyloJW posted:

The Broncos lost that game 48-10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The SituAsian posted:

The Broncos lost that game 48-10

I just noticed the opposing team.