Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Samurai Sanders posted:

As the save file gets bigger, the game will lag behind the input more and more, as the engine's usable memory gets pinched. Seven and a half megabytes is where I started seeing trouble.

Same thing happened in fallout 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

Same thing happened in fallout 3
And FONV, and...Oblivion too? Of the four of those I only played FO3 and briefly Skyrim on the PS3 though. Once you start with the post-game DLC in FO3, things just get awful.

It's the fact that the issue exists across multiple (very successful) games spanning like six years that makes me think it will never be fixed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I played Oblivion on PS3 for hundreds of hours and I can't ever recall having the issue of my FPS dropping to 0-5 at random intervals during the experience.

Probably because Oblivion on PS3 was actually optimized for the platform instead of a port.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I played Oblivion on PS3 for hundreds of hours and I can't ever recall having the issue of my FPS dropping to 0-5 at random intervals during the experience.

Probably because Oblivion on PS3 was actually optimized for the platform instead of a port.

I've only played fallout 3 on ps3 but once your savefile gets large enough, the game started to freeze a whole lot more. But I don't really think it got awful until I installed broken steel, much like samurai sanders said.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Policenaut posted:

I remember reading Oblivion GOTY had a ton of bugs and performance issues the original PS3 release didn't.

Either case Bethesda exploring sandbox games are pc only for me, besides pc users have mods which tends to make the games a bit above poo poo quality. (not that they aren't fun, just poorly polished)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Has anyone picked up Ratchet and Clank: All 4 one? Its pretty fun so far, but I need a Co-Op buddy who's not loving useless. PSN: Spalec86

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ineffiable posted:

Could you imagine if they actually made it as a cooking/management sim for the first hour of the game, then as Kratos has to deal with dumber and dumber customers, he eventually rages out and seeks to destroy The King?

This reminds me of this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Krad posted:

This reminds me of this.
That made me want to play through GoW3 again. And a sandwich.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Housh posted:

Yup. Saints Row: The Third is the most fun video game I've played all year.

I've lost track of how many times I've said this lately

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Twisted Metal Black coming to the PSN as a PS2 Classic... if you buy a first print copy of Twisted Metal

Hey just put Black on the PSN so I can buy it without dropping $60 on the new thing thanks

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Scyron posted:

I remember reading Oblivion GOTY had a ton of bugs and performance issues the original PS3 release didn't.

Either case Bethesda exploring sandbox games are pc only for me, besides pc users have mods which tends to make the games a bit above poo poo quality. (not that they aren't fun, just poorly polished)

Oblivion GOTY was just a port of the 360 version rather than the superior optimized original one. No idea why they went that route.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Spalec posted:

Has anyone picked up Ratchet and Clank: All 4 one? Its pretty fun so far, but I need a Co-Op buddy who's not loving useless. PSN: Spalec86

My sister-in-law is playing this now and it will be mine as soon as she is done and i buy a new laser. PSN is omnibobb

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
With God of War 4, if what is said is true, I'm not really sure what they could actually do with an afterlife setting, but I have an idea.

Even if the realms of Hades and Tartarus aren't tied to the survival of the gods of the same name, they're still kind of hosed and the guys who ruled over them with all the powers and whatnot are dead. There's the Elysium Fields, but Kratos and Deimos showing up there seems just as unlikely as their need to escape from it.

I'm wondering if, and kind of hoping for, the setting will be the land of dreams. Having the state of "death" no longer exist, when Kratos tries to kill himself, he just ends up in a suspended subconcious state and is transported to the dreamland as a sort of limbo. The setting would be really interesting with it all being a trippy Greek world of dreams, and you'd be able to call back Morpheous and introduce Hypnos (Thanatos' twin brother), and it would all kind of write itself as a sequel to the events of Ghost of Sparta.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Twisted Metal Black coming to the PSN as a PS2 Classic... if you buy a first print copy of Twisted Metal

Hey just put Black on the PSN so I can buy it without dropping $60 on the new thing thanks

I wouldn't assume its only for purchasers of the new game. Just only free for them.

Kimoosabi X
Nov 8, 2006

So I just got Dead Island for Christmas, and I'm having some troubles. I am running it with all the latest patches, but I am getting a lot of brief audio cut outs and the occasional pop and crackle. More concerning however is that the game itself can hitch up for a second or two, and usually right in the middle of a multi-zombie ambush. This usually results in me getting jumped.

Is the PS3 version just not up to par, or is it a problem with my PS3? I tried doing some research online, but its inconclusive.. some people report having similar problems while others say they have no such problems.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dead Island is just a really buggy game, that whole frame rate hitch happened to me quite a few times in Act 2.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Kimoosabi X posted:

So I just got Dead Island for Christmas, and I'm having some troubles. I am running it with all the latest patches, but I am getting a lot of brief audio cut outs and the occasional pop and crackle. More concerning however is that the game itself can hitch up for a second or two, and usually right in the middle of a multi-zombie ambush. This usually results in me getting jumped.

Is the PS3 version just not up to par, or is it a problem with my PS3? I tried doing some research online, but its inconclusive.. some people report having similar problems while others say they have no such problems.

I rented it and never hadany problems, at least any I noticed. The game is poo poo though. Throw it away and cut off all ties to the person who gave it to you.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

Apparently the new one might actually be good. Probably not worth 60 with a free ps2 game though, unless amazon does a 20 dollar credit.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Policenaut posted:

Jaffe has responded to every. single. post. in the comments.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Kimoosabi X posted:

The problem is the game. I had to sell it back after three successive patches made the game perform worse and worse for me and my friends. The final patch introduced the snap, crackle, pop you mentioned, along with PS3 freezes forcing a hard reset every single play session. While I had plenty of fun with the game, it wasn't worth murdering my second PS3 for.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

And FONV, and...Oblivion too? Of the four of those I only played FO3 and briefly Skyrim on the PS3 though. Once you start with the post-game DLC in FO3, things just get awful.

It's the fact that the issue exists across multiple (very successful) games spanning like six years that makes me think it will never be fixed.

It's this last point that leaves me in a great depression. I so want to play Skyrim but I'm fearful of the PS3 version and I think my dated PC will practically laugh at me if I try to make it run it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Urban Achiever posted:

It's this last point that leaves me in a great depression. I so want to play Skyrim but I'm fearful of the PS3 version and I think my dated PC will practically laugh at me if I try to make it run it.

Although I never played Skyrim on PS3, if its anything like Fallout 3, you won't notice until you have played for a long time. I had practically explored the whole map by the time it got to the point where it froze up a lot, and I think alot of that was exacerbated by me buying Broken Steel.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

Although I never played Skyrim on PS3, if its anything like Fallout 3, you won't notice until you have played for a long time. I had practically explored the whole map by the time it got to the point where it froze up a lot, and I think alot of that was exacerbated by me buying Broken Steel.
I was starting to notice it after only about 30 hours of playing. I think it is based on the number of dungeons you have gone into, the first time you go into a dungeon it populates the inside of it with all that pointless stuff sitting on shelves like parchments and embalming tools, and the save file has to remember where they all are.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Yeah, in Fallout 3/NV, Oblivion and Skyrim, each time you enter a new room it has to save that room to your save file, even if you just walk in and turn right back around. I'm not sure how the overworld cells are divided up into rooms, but they also add up fairly quickly.

Pile this onto the buggy mess that Fallout 3/NV are and you get a trainwreck, while Oblivion didn't take it very well either (worked fine on my 360 version, not sure about PS3). Haven't played Skyrim but I'm assuming it didn't do much to get around this issue given how many people are complaining about it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Does Bethesda just not know how to code PS3 games or what? I know they're buggy games in the first palce, but having that many console-specific issues is insane.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

SpacePig posted:

Does Bethesda just not know how to code PS3 games or what? I know they're buggy games in the first palce, but having that many console-specific issues is insane.

I've read a bunch of explanations regarding the way PS3 and XBOX use RAM, some are more or less fanboyish than others, so maybe there's something there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

The only issue is that the PS3 has less memory than the other platforms right? So it's not so much that they don't know how to PS3, its just that they are coding inefficiently in general, and the PS3 is the only one that it is a problem for.

I guess the question then becomes, what did they do differently to make the original PS3 version of Oblivion okay?

edit: vvv yeah, like me. If I had stronger convictions I would have asked for my money back on PS3 Skyrim, instead of selling it. And then I wouldn't have bought it again on another platform.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 29, 2011

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

SpacePig posted:

What I find the most insane is that every review for their games is glowing and never makes any mention of the terrible bugs at all, with every issue being swept under the rug by the gaming media. It's a shame, because if reviewers actually made a fuss and said "This is unacceptable" and gave the game a rightfully poor score that reflected the shoddy final product, they'd have to actually take the time to deal with these problems properly. As it is right now though, as long as game journalists give that company a free pass, consumers will continue to suffer by buying products that they have no idea are broken.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

MUFFlNS posted:

What I find the most insane is that every review for their games is glowing and never makes any mention of the terrible bugs at all, with every issue being swept under the rug by the gaming media. It's a shame, because if reviewers actually made a fuss and said "This is unacceptable" and gave the game a rightfully poor score that reflected the shoddy final product, they'd have to actually take the time to deal with these problems properly. As it is right now though, as long as game journalists give that company a free pass, consumers will continue to suffer by buying products that they have no idea are broken.

I don't know about Skyrim, but I think that the PS3 versions of Fallout 3 and Oblivion got lower scores than the 360/PC versions in most places, or at the very least there was a note about them.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Did no one ever make a thread for White Knight Chronicles 2? I picked this up for christmas and it's fantastic, but there's seemingly no thread for it! I found the one from last year by Policenaut and it seems like most of the info could apply, but I don't actually know anything about the sequel part of the game to actually make the thread with since I never played the original (and am doing so via WKC2's version instead).

Has the game already passed its prime or would people actually check out the thread?

Emalde fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 29, 2011

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

MUFFlNS posted:

This is also somewhat related to Bethesda not providing PS3 copies to the press before release. I think the only copies that went out were on the 360. I agree, though, reviews should mention that kind of stuff. I usually prefer multi-platform stuff on the 360 anyway, but it'd be great info to have when making that decision.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

EC posted:

This is also somewhat related to Bethesda not providing PS3 copies to the press before release. I think the only copies that went out were on the 360.

See I dunno how others feel, but I personally consider this to be a downright appauling business practice, hiding flaws of your product from both the media and the consumer. It really shouldn't be allowed.

The thing I also find particularly bad about this is that retailers are charging more money for Skyrim than other games. Traditionally in the UK, games retail for £39.99, but I've seen places selling Skyrim marked-up at £44.99 instead. Previously, the only games that were sold for more than usual were the Call of Duty games, but now that Bethesda is getting greedy while still pushing out broken games I think it's shameful.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Was Bethesda even responsible for the PS3 version or was it farmed out to a 3rd party?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm pretty sure they had their own team that made the port. But like all Bethesda developed and published games these days, Skyrim was made with the Xbox 360 in mind, and then the PC and PS3 versions were an after thought. I hate their mindset there, ID Software did the samething, and that's why RAGE didn't turn out that good. Not that Skyrim is bad, it's actually really good, it's just that it could have been better if they didn't decide to hold themselves back, because of the hardware limitations of one console. It was purely a business decision, because the 360 is where they felt they would sell the most copies.

What actually ended up happening, was the PC version has sold better then the console versions, by quite a bit. So I hope Bethesda keeps that in mind in the future.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 29, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Emalde posted:

Did no one ever make a thread for White Knight Chronicles 2? I picked this up for christmas and it's fantastic, but there's seemingly no thread for it! I found the one from last year by Policenaut and it seems like most of the info could apply, but I don't actually know anything about the sequel part of the game to actually make the thread with since I never played the original (and am doing so via WKC2's version instead).

Has the game already passed its prime or would people actually check out the thread?
All I can say is that you are in a small minority in thinking that that series is worth anything at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There was a thread for WKC1 and it died off pretty quickly. The general opinion here was that it was not very good at all. There were a few other Japanese RPGs at the time too that came out, Resonance of Fate, and Final Fantasy XIII; RoF was the only good one of the bunch. :/

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I had fun playing WKC both offline and online because it felt sort of like a PSO clone. I don't know if WKC2 was any better. It's not bad for about $10-15.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

I had fun playing WKC both offline and online because it felt sort of like a PSO clone. I don't know if WKC2 was any better. It's not bad for about $10-15.

If I saw WKC2 for that price, I would buy it. That's cheap enough to be worth it.

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn

Harlock posted:

I was pretty much on the fence when I considered buying this game... until you mentioned the PSO clone comment. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Feast of Burden posted:

I was pretty much on the fence when I considered buying this game... until you mentioned the PSO clone comment. Thanks!
You might want to watch some gameplay impressions before you get the same comparison I did. Just a party of 3-4 people roaming the same countrysides, grinding for XP and skill points. I have no idea what the online community is like anymore.

• Locked thread