Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006

jyrka posted:

It's something I've never thought about but it is surprising how serious people most stand-up comedians are. Guys like Maron or Rogan aren't funny people. They're just approval seeking machines, aren't they. Quite sad really.

Pretty much every B-level standup is like this, they are completely humorless and lacking spontaneity in their personal life and you realize that the only way they get laughs is by workshopping the exact same jokes hundreds of times in front of hundreds of different audiences until they land on something funny, without gaining any understanding of what actually makes it funny or how to be a likeable/charismatic person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sensual Ozma Lover posted:

Pretty much every B-level standup is like this, they are completely humorless and lacking spontaneity in their personal life and you realize that the only way they get laughs is by workshopping the exact same jokes hundreds of times in front of hundreds of different audiences until they land on something funny, without gaining any understanding of what actually makes it funny or how to be a likeable/charismatic person

I think you're onto something here. See: Bert Kreischer

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

beep boop comedian doesn't make me laugh, ergo; must not funny to everyone else beep boop.

:rolleyes:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Maron's a real jerkwad for the most part but he's hilariously funny and a quick, brilliant stand up. If he were really a hack he wouldn't be able to get all these people on his podcast (which, for the record, I don't really enjoy anymore).

indigi fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 29, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

indigi posted:

If he were really a hack he wouldn't be able to get all these people on his podcast (which, for the record, I don't really enjoy anymore).

Ehhh, I wouldn't go that far. Maron was able to parlay his connections to get it off the ground and can now use the podcast's clout (plus his connections) to get bigger names.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

That may be true to an extent, but it's obvious that his connections are built off a level of respect and admiration. A lot of his younger guests, even people he's had real problems with, admit that he influenced them or that he was someone they looked up to, which nobody forced them to say and none of them seem like the type to give false compliments.

People like Amy Poehler, Louie CK, Jimmy Pardo, David Cross, Janene Garafalo, Doug Stanhope et al aren't gonna come on his show and blow smoke up his rear end if they don't respect him as a comedian an (forgive me) artist. If they really believed that this description

quote:

completely humorless and lacking spontaneity in their personal life and you realize that the only way they get laughs is by workshopping the exact same jokes hundreds of times in front of hundreds of different audiences until they land on something funny, without gaining any understanding of what actually makes it funny
was an accurate appraisal of Marc's body of work and abilities, they almost certainly wouldn't agree to be on his show, much less be cordial and talk about how funny they thought he was.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I don't think he was trying to say that's what Louis CK and Amy Poehler think.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Slotducks posted:

beep boop comedian doesn't make me laugh, ergo; must not funny to everyone else beep boop.

:rolleyes:

Haha you dumbass thats not what I said at all, I meant there are lots of standups whose acts are very funny but they are miserable bitter jerkoffs in their personal life because they treat 'being funny' as a performance art far removed from their actual personality. On the other hand some comedians are naturally funny and charismatic. Maron is pretty obviously the former

You can respect/admire another comedian for their act while still thinking they are an annoying idiot in person, which is seemingly what most of the guests on WTF do.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sorry but you explicitly used the phrase "completely humorless," and since your post contained absolutely no grammar to tell whether "in their personal life" modified only one or both of the preceding adjectives it's not unreasonable to draw that conclusion from what you prematurely ejaculated onto the forums

jyrka posted:

I don't think he was trying to say that's what Louis CK and Amy Poehler think.

I assumed he was because who the gently caress cares what comedians he thinks is a hack or not, and if he puts Maron in that category he's a terrible judge

indigi fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 29, 2011

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

indigi posted:

Sorry but you explicitly used the phrase "completely humorless," and since your post contained absolutely no grammar to tell whether "in their personal life" modified only one or both of the preceding adjectives it's not unreasonable to draw that conclusion from what you prematurely ejaculated onto the forums

I assumed he was because who the gently caress cares what comedians he thinks is a hack or not, and if he puts Maron in that category he's a terrible judge

Haha I thought it was clear, obviously they arent "completely humorless" in their standup act or else they wouldnt be successful comedians, I was saying that despite honing their craft to the point where they appear quick and funny on stage, in their personal life they are boring tedious assholes. I don't know why you need to get so defensive on this point about Maron of all people, since pretty much everyone agrees he's an rear end in a top hat regardless of how they feel about his comedy

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Haha I thought it was clear, obviously they arent "completely humorless" in their standup act or else they wouldnt be successful comedians, I was saying that despite honing their craft to the point where they appear quick and funny on stage, in their personal life they are boring tedious assholes. I don't know why you need to get so defensive on this point about Maron of all people, since pretty much everyone agrees he's an rear end in a top hat regardless of how they feel about his comedy

You know who else are "boring tedious assholes" in their personal life?

Movie Stars
Musicians
Artists
Everyone in the world ever.

They're people.

I'll be honest, I have no idea where you even get the idea that someone is a boring tedious rear end in a top hat unless you're his ex wife or something.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Slotducks posted:

You know who else are "boring tedious assholes" in their personal life?

Movie Stars
Musicians
Artists
Everyone in the world ever.

They're people.

I'll be honest, I have no idea where you even get the idea that someone is a boring tedious rear end in a top hat unless you're his ex wife or something.

Actually, I think lots of people arent assholes. For instance, lots of people are nice and fun to be around. One example of a person who is a tedious rear end in a top hat is Marc Maron

You honestly have no idea where someone might form the opinion that Maron is a tedious rear end in a top hat? A guy with hundreds of hours of podcast proof that he is an rear end in a top hat? And plenty of anecdotes from other comedians confirming that Maron is a depressive jerkoff in his personal life? I'm actually curious where you got the idea that Maron isn't a tedious rear end in a top hat when there's so much evidence pointing the other way

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I like to think the comedian from the Louie episode called "Eddie" was based on Marc Maron.

Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/267683/louie-eddie#s-p1-so-i0 (expires in 3 days!)

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_%28Louie%29

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

NotWearingPants posted:

I like to think the comedian from the Louie episode called "Eddie" was based on Marc Maron.

Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/267683/louie-eddie#s-p1-so-i0 (expires in 3 days!)

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_%28Louie%29

It's actually, more or less, about Doug. CK was on Fresh Air recently (he breaks down talking about Patrice). It's a great interview.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Tig Nataro is the loving worst. She's terrible and has never been funny.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

It's actually, more or less, about Doug. CK was on Fresh Air recently (he breaks down talking about Patrice). It's a great interview.

Doug who loves movies? Or a different one?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Your way works too posted:

Doug who loves movies? Or a different one?

Doug Stanhope.

You know, the guy playing Eddie.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
"Eddie" is based(and played) off of Stanhope... no idea where you got Maron from all of that.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

mcvey posted:

"Eddie" is based(and played) off of Stanhope... no idea where you got Maron from all of that.

It was mostly the bitterness, inability to succeed in a conventional sense, disdain for the success of others, and belief that his comedy is more profound and important than that of other comedians.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

None of those qualities are unique in any way when it comes to creative types. If you're not at the Louie CK level (by which I don't mean the top of the heap), you have at least a sprinkling of all that stuff.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Actually, I think lots of people arent assholes. For instance, lots of people are nice and fun to be around. One example of a person who is a tedious rear end in a top hat is Marc Maron

You honestly have no idea where someone might form the opinion that Maron is a tedious rear end in a top hat? A guy with hundreds of hours of podcast proof that he is an rear end in a top hat? And plenty of anecdotes from other comedians confirming that Maron is a depressive jerkoff in his personal life? I'm actually curious where you got the idea that Maron isn't a tedious rear end in a top hat when there's so much evidence pointing the other way

I have a feeling like you can't empathize with people. Marc Maron's little intros and stuff are a way of venting his anger about his now sober and normal life. Dealing with Life's little intricacies while sober. His way of working through it.

Much like his way through his recovery through his rivalries and jealousy about other comedians whom he might have thought had "not earned it".

Ever think about 12 step and that whole "apologize to everyone" stage? I have a feeling like WTF has slowly turned from in depth talk about the comedy business to Marc Maron's attempt at completing that step. Albeit slowly.

I still haven't really gotten any reply from you really pointing out how he's a tedious rear end in a top hat who shouldn't be liked and should stop comedy podcasts beep boop only funny people beep boop.

Also, just another point. It almost seems like your whole argument against the guy is to say that Comedians aren't allowed to turn off their humor. They must be funny 24/7. They must be the Jester in your court. Always making you laugh. No room to make you think. Must laugh. Must Laugh. Bill Hicks probably makes you sick.

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 30, 2011

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Even among his friends and people he's "reconciled" with in the comedy community, you won't hear many nice things said about him and a few of his guests have been re-estranged and said so on Twitter/other podcasts. I don't think it's unreasonable to extrapolate that out to him being at least kind of a prick and I also think he'd agree with that assessment. One of the nicest, most friendly guys ever when I've talked to him, but that was like 4 times and I don't have a pilot deal with NBC.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Slotducks posted:

I have a feeling like you can't empathize with people. Marc Maron's little intros and stuff are a way of venting his anger about his now sober and normal life. Dealing with Life's little intricacies while sober. His way of working through it.

Much like his way through his recovery through his rivalries and jealousy about other comedians whom he might have thought had "not earned it".

Ever think about 12 step and that whole "apologize to everyone" stage? I have a feeling like WTF has slowly turned from in depth talk about the comedy business to Marc Maron's attempt at completing that step. Albeit slowly.

I still haven't really gotten any reply from you really pointing out how he's a tedious rear end in a top hat who shouldn't be liked and should stop comedy podcasts beep boop only funny people beep boop.

Also, just another point. It almost seems like your whole argument against the guy is to say that Comedians aren't allowed to turn off their humor. They must be funny 24/7. They must be the Jester in your court. Always making you laugh. No room to make you think. Must laugh. Must Laugh. Bill Hicks probably makes you sick.

Jesus, what a terrible post. People have said (in this very thread) that despite having their little 30 minute closure session with Maron and reconciling, he's acted just the same afterwards towards guests. You don't change personalities in your forties. He's a petty, small-minded rear end in a top hat who happens to be a good interviewer because he's incapable of decency or politeness in society so he's tailor-made to drag poo poo out of people.

And Bill Hicks probably does make him sick, as he does anyone with taste. Bill Hicks appeals to cretins because his burlesque of an ideology is easy to shove in people's faces as a substitute for their own.

Past Tense Ragu fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 30, 2011

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Slotducks posted:

What is your point exactly? You're admitting that he is an rear end in a top hat but its okay because his podcast is some exploitative perversion of an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting? And I'm incapable of empathy because I think a guy whose entire gimmick is being tactless and assholish is an rear end in a top hat?

For all your hilarious beep boop stuff youre just coming off like a battered wife. "No you dont get it! He's not an rear end in a top hat, it's just the soberness that makes him cranky! All the thousands of people who have met him and said he's an rear end in a top hat just don't understand him! He's working through the Difficulties of Life! Beep bop!"

And no, you're getting there, but my point is more that not every comedian has to "turn on their humor" in the first place, some of them are naturally funny and charismatic in Real Life, whereas some of them turn into bitter unfunny assholes (or abrasive repentant former alcoholics, if that's how you'd rather frame it) as soon as they get off stage

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I like how recently every 'debate' on the internet is a race to say 'beep boop' and call the other person a robot.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Slotducks posted:

If you have a point to make, make it. Don't mischaracterize someone else point and put words in their mouth. That's a sure fire way to argue in circles and raise tempers.

I thought the original description of "humorless approval machines" is pretty apt, for comedians across the spectrum. It seems more rare to see comedians who seem pleasant and charming off stage.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
You know, there's a long standing tradition of comedians being funny on stage and horribly damaged and broken in real life going back years (Tony Hancock and Kenneth Williams spring to mind). Doesn't tend to work out too well for them as a general rule. I'm glad that Maron manages to bring his evidently horrible past and destructive personality into his standup and into the podcast as hopefully that means he's not going to go the same way.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

What is your point exactly? You're admitting that he is an rear end in a top hat but its okay because his podcast is some exploitative perversion of an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting? And I'm incapable of empathy because I think a guy whose entire gimmick is being tactless and assholish is an rear end in a top hat?

For all your hilarious beep boop stuff youre just coming off like a battered wife. "No you dont get it! He's not an rear end in a top hat, it's just the soberness that makes him cranky! All the thousands of people who have met him and said he's an rear end in a top hat just don't understand him! He's working through the Difficulties of Life! Beep bop!"

And no, you're getting there, but my point is more that not every comedian has to "turn on their humor" in the first place, some of them are naturally funny and charismatic in Real Life, whereas some of them turn into bitter unfunny assholes (or abrasive repentant former alcoholics, if that's how you'd rather frame it) as soon as they get off stage

You could have saved everyone a lot of time and said "I don't like his character". Watch a few documentaries on Comedy some time and you'll see that the majority of popular comics are self diagnosed as being depressed. You don't have to be happy to be funny. I personally love Marc Maron, he reminds me of the NY Jew side of my family. You're not meant to like every style of comedy. I, for one, can not stand Bill Hicks no matter how much I try.

ps: The beginning of the podcast with Michael Ian Black is clearly embellished shtick on both of their parts. They're personas were made for each other.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bunk Rogers posted:

You could have saved everyone a lot of time and said "I don't like his character". Watch a few documentaries on Comedy some time and you'll see that the majority of popular comics are self diagnosed as being depressed. You don't have to be happy to be funny. I personally love Marc Maron, he reminds me of the NY Jew side of my family. You're not meant to like every style of comedy. I, for one, can not stand Bill Hicks no matter how much I try.

ps: The beginning of the podcast with Michael Ian Black is clearly embellished shtick on both of their parts. They're personas were made for each other.

That wouldn't have saved any time since I wasn't trying to say "I don't like his character", I was saying precisely what you admit in the next sentence, which is that lots of comedians (Maron especially) are only funny on stage and are depressive bitter assholes in their personal life.

Personally I'm really glad Marc Maron doesn't remind me of anyone in my family, but you're right, different strokes, it takes a village, etc.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Just a note: A-list Patton Oswalt is a clinical depressive who takes Prozac.

The fact is that none of us, barring some actual personal relationship, knows a thing about any of these individuals' personal lives. Not from their podcasts, not from their interviews, not from that time you met them at the merch table after the show. Louis CK is a divorcee; I'm sure his ex-wife has some choice things to say about who he "really" is. Bill Cosby... the archetypal A-lister, is a notoriously cantankerous, humorless sonofabitch.

All this to say, I don't disagree with the fact that comics tend to be a damaged lot. I am taking issue with your attempt to slap Maron as a B-lister because he's "humorless" and "lacking spontaneity", as though more successful comics are inherently happier, nicer people.

EDIT: deleted tl;dr. Point's been made, and the short version was more combative than intended.

Speaking of comedy podcasts, the AV Club released their top ten list and individual ballots. Didn't know the Bugle had been shuttered.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 30, 2011

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

Just a note: A-list Patton Oswalt is a clinical depressive who takes Prozac.

The fact is that none of us, barring some actual personal relationship, knows a thing about any of these individuals' personal lives. Not from their podcasts, not from their interviews, not from that time you met them at the merch table after the show. Louis CK is a divorcee; I'm sure his ex-wife has some choice things to say about who he "really" is. Bill Cosby... the archetypal A-lister, is a notoriously cantankerous, humorless sonofabitch.

All this to say, I don't disagree with the fact that comics tend to be a damaged lot. I am taking issue with your attempt to slap Maron as a B-lister because he's "humorless" and "lacking spontaneity", as though more successful comics are inherently happier, nicer people.

Yeah I could have been more clear there, obviously I know lots of A-list comedians fall into the same category too, it was more just a dig at guys like Maron who are especially bitter and jealous of other comics' success and have that clear divide between "trying to be funny" and "being bitter and resentful about comedy".

And yeah you can play the "you can never really truly know someone" card which is true no matter who you're talking about, but I feel totally comfortable generalizing and saying that Maron is an rear end in a top hat. Louis CK might have an angry ex-wife but Maron has legions of estranged former friends and people who will vouch that he is a petty idiot in his personal life, and since he has only enforced that belief through hundreds of hours of fairly personal podcasts I really doubt he is actually somehow a great guy to hang around

Edit -- before you got rid of it your edit said that it just seems like I'm "just trying to bash a comic that I don't like." That's exactly what I'm doing, sorry if there was ever any confusion about it. Someone made fun of Maron and Joe Rogan, comics that I don't like, and I agreed with him and added some generalizations about those types of dudes (standup comics who are bitter assholes in person)

manyak fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 30, 2011

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is anyone buying the Tell Em Steve Dave 12" vinyl? I'm very tempted because I love the show but hardly listen to records anymore, don't need more poo poo around, and :effort:

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

CommunistMojo posted:

Tig Nataro is the loving worst. She's terrible and has never been funny.

Thank you. Its been too long since someone mentioned how Goddamned not funny she is. She was on Conan a while back and it was like a poor-mans weak attempt @ annoyance comedy.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/12/tig-notaro-conan.html - Some of the least funny TV since 9/11

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tig is funny in conversation. Her podcast, Professor Blastoff, is one of my favorites and I typically enjoy her appearances on CBB. I do agree her stand-up isn't that great, though.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

King Lou posted:

Thank you. Its been too long since someone mentioned how Goddamned not funny she is. She was on Conan a while back and it was like a poor-mans weak attempt @ annoyance comedy.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/12/tig-notaro-conan.html - Some of the least funny TV since 9/11

I'm not the biggest fan of Tig but this is a pretty decent late night comedy routine.

Up until the stool pushing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FitFortDanga posted:

Tig is funny in conversation. Her podcast, Professor Blastoff, is one of my favorites and I typically enjoy her appearances on CBB. I do agree her stand-up isn't that great, though.

You say that, but that goddamned Taylor Dane story of hers goes on for ages without actually going anywhere. I don't know if it's supposed to be a bit, but there's just no joke in it anywhere.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tig owns

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fil5000 posted:

You say that, but that goddamned Taylor Dane story of hers goes on for ages without actually going anywhere. I don't know if it's supposed to be a bit, but there's just no joke in it anywhere.

I think it's funny, but trying to explain funny is a lost cause.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah I could have been more clear there, obviously I know lots of A-list comedians fall into the same category too, it was more just a dig at guys like Maron who are especially bitter and jealous of other comics' success and have that clear divide between "trying to be funny" and "being bitter and resentful about comedy".

And yeah you can play the "you can never really truly know someone" card which is true no matter who you're talking about, but I feel totally comfortable generalizing and saying that Maron is an rear end in a top hat. Louis CK might have an angry ex-wife but Maron has legions of estranged former friends and people who will vouch that he is a petty idiot in his personal life, and since he has only enforced that belief through hundreds of hours of fairly personal podcasts I really doubt he is actually somehow a great guy to hang around

Edit -- before you got rid of it your edit said that it just seems like I'm "just trying to bash a comic that I don't like." That's exactly what I'm doing, sorry if there was ever any confusion about it. Someone made fun of Maron and Joe Rogan, comics that I don't like, and I agreed with him and added some generalizations about those types of dudes (standup comics who are bitter assholes in person)

What have you seen of Rogan that gives you the impression he's a bitter rear end in a top hat in person? He seems like a happy and friendly enough person, and wasn't rude or anything when I said hi after a show a month or so ago. I've never listened to WTF but from what I've read here he and Maron can't be much alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

But what's the point of sitting there and making long winded points about how he is an unfunny rear end in a top hat? Are you just trying to make a point? If so what exactly is the point? Should he stop making the podcast and doing comedy? I don't get why you are coming out and making big long posts about him being an rear end in a top hat. Like you seem really bothered by him.

• Locked thread