Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

The third one counted as run, Gronk got credit for it.

Yeah, I was focusing on the wrong stat, didn't look to see I was only looking at passing TDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Jerome Agricola posted:

Really? A 4-day-old post with a simple misnomer. You suck so much.

You are very, very wrong. And that's not a misnomer, it's a malapropism.

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Anyway my question is- Aaron Rodgers had a less than ideal (although not nearly as atrocious as Tebow's) throwing motion and spent an offseason working to fix it and bingo now it's perfect. I don't understand why everyone is claiming Tebow's awful motion can't be improved at all- is it really that hard to retrain? Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to break down and rebuild, but I've never coached anyone.

Philip Rivers actually had a similar problem coming out of college, but it's different for different QBs. Obviously, if an NFL release was easy to teach then everybody would have it - but it's not that simple.

A lot of these guys have been playing the same way for years. Think of how many throws Tim Tebow has made incorrectly, it must be in the thousands or tens of thousands. You have to unlearn that muscle memory completely. For somebody like Rodgers, who was tweaking something that was already working very well, it's not that difficult, but for somebody like Tebow it's a real challenge.

And that's not the only problem with Timmy's throwing - unlike guys like Byron Leftwich or David Garrard who have less-than-ideal throwing motions, Tebow has the instincts of a running back. So not only do you have to retrain his throwing arm, you have to fix his footwork completely and ask him to stand tall in the pocket making plays.

So in order to fix Tim Tebow's throwing you have to fix the motion he's been using for a decade of QB play, teach him to read an NFL defense, get him to stop running the ball so much, and fix his footwork (that's bad because he always wants to run the ball). And you have to do this in one offseason, or in a few seasons but with him still playing. So yeah, it's a very big challenge

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
There are a couple of things at work here:

One of the points of the combine and evaluating young QBs is just picking them apart to find any single thing wrong with them. Part of this is ego-driven by the scouts and coaches; if your team drafts him and he's a bust, you can point to the flaws you discussed in your scouting and say he was just too dumb/stubborn to learn. If your team drafts him and he's a superstar, you can point to your organization fixing the one critical flaw he had so everyone can look brilliant.

I'm old enough to remember when Kerry Collins was drafted and there were scouts who said he was a lost cause as an NFL QB because he had a "hitch" in his throwing motion that made it too slow to ever be workable. Kerry Collins is not a Hall-of-Fame QB or anything, but he's had a very solid career and didn't wash out in two years like some scouts predicted.

Tebow is just a whole different thing. Coaches will forgive an unorthodox throwing motion if the ball consistently gets to where it's supposed to be on time, but that's not been the case with Tebow. The NFL is full of the best football coaches in the world and I'd be shocked if someone else (besides Detroit) doesn't crack the code on the new/old-school Denver offense before this season is done. Then Denver will have to either find a way to make Tebow at least an average throwing QB or go another direction.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Are there any good video's on what every coach does? I get the basics of the position coaches, and what the coordinators do, but i'd love to see an in depth/specific video on how a coach actually coaches. The specific techniques the lines use, or drills a cornerback runs etc. I've never played football, so i have no firsthand experience on how coaches do what they do.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I remember a reporter asking Rivers about his throwing motion last year specifically because of Tebow, and he said in no uncertain terms that it doesn't matter how much you try to "fix" a throwing motion, because once a quarterback is under pressure or has to make a throw, he's going to go back to what feels the most comfortable anyway.

Also anyone that brings up Rivers when talking about Tebow's throwing motion is ridiculous. Rivers has one of the quickest releases in the NFL, while Tebow has by far the slowest.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I remember a reporter asking Rivers about his throwing motion last year specifically because of Tebow, and he said in no uncertain terms that it doesn't matter how much you try to "fix" a throwing motion, because once a quarterback is under pressure or has to make a throw, he's going to go back to what feels the most comfortable anyway.

Also anyone that brings up Rivers when talking about Tebow's throwing motion is ridiculous. Rivers has one of the quickest releases in the NFL, while Tebow has by far the slowest.

You're right, I just meant that there are other quarterbacks who have had issues with their throwing motion and have turned out pretty good. You would know better than me, but IIRC he had a fair amount of work to do coming out of college to get it to an NFL level. Nowhere near Tebow though, not even remotely.

But yeah, like I said, a guy like Tebow will have a lot of trouble unlearning his instincts.

Crunkjuice posted:

Are there any good video's on what every coach does? I get the basics of the position coaches, and what the coordinators do, but i'd love to see an in depth/specific video on how a coach actually coaches. The specific techniques the lines use, or drills a cornerback runs etc. I've never played football, so i have no firsthand experience on how coaches do what they do.

There's actually a lot of good stuff on Youtube. None of it is professional or anything, a lot of that you'll have to pay for. But you can look at blocking drills, footwork stuff, and other pretty specific things - just keep in mind a lot of these guys don't really know what they're talking about beyond the basics. I played o-line and d-line for a long time and I've seen some pretty dumb recommendations for techniques.

It's also good to check out breakdowns on NFL network, Playbook will often have guys talking about specific techniques and things like that. I wish there was like a "Hank Stram teaches you coaching" DVD series, that would be awesome

e: Also, for those of you who want to learn more history, here's awesome coach Hank Stram mic'd up during Super Bowl IV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coZxFtVsBVg

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 7, 2011

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Likewise the comparison to Rodgers in the initial post is a bit off key in the first place considering how refined his motion was after Tedford coached him at Cal. It might not have been textbook perfect but it was never an area of concern.

quote:

If you mean videos of coaches going over technique and strategy/x's & o's on a blackboard or with gametape you'll mostly only find that by purchasing coaching books that come with DVD's. Smart Football and Brophy Football have had on occasion some videos of this nature but it's rare to find top guys in the profession dispensing things for free when there's money to be made at clinics.

If you mean a logistical breakdown of what coaches are responsible for at practice, gameday, etc and how things are run from an organizational and operational point of view I could put a breakdown of that together.

heladocasero
Jul 27, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

Obviously, if an NFL release was easy to teach then everybody would have it - but it's not that simple.

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is an NFL release? What factors are desirable in the way a QB throws the ball, and why are they good/bad?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

heladocasero posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is an NFL release? What factors are desirable in the way a QB throws the ball, and why are they good/bad?

Speed, accuracy, and form. Here is a thing I wrote earlier about Cam and Brady, obviously I'm a loving idiot because Cam owns all the loving bones

Blackula69 posted:

No, it's a collection of things. Footwork and mechanics, honestly just Googling it and trying to watch for things in real games. There are a lot of guides out there for young quarterbacks and coaches that teach good fundamentals. It's amazing how some guys (Cam Newton) can make it to the NFL level with sub-par fundamentals, they just make it because they're freakish athletes.

Oh poo poo, here's an awesome thing I found just googling, it's Tom Brady's mechanics broken down by his QB coach: http://www.boston.com/sports/special/patriots/playoffs2006/brady_throw/ Look at how he ends up, and his body positioning. That's pure quarterbacking, you know it when you see it.

And here's a breakdown (by some rear end in a top hat on youtube, but hey) about Cam Newton's throwing motion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlU2kKNwmA

I wrote some dumb poo poo about Cam Newtown here, he owns and i was wrnog

e: Oh, and another thing. You'll notice that every Tom Brady touchdown looks the same - he almost always throws with a similar motion. It's like a boxer's punch: once you do it right, it's hard to do it wrong. With worse quarterbacks, you'll see them throwing all sorts of different ways. Brady looks almost the same every time (at least in his footwork and fundamentals).

And here's an even more in-depth look at throwing motions: http://smartfootball.com/quarterbacking/can-a-quarterbacks-throwing-motion-be-improved

Basically a lot of people can throw the football and do it pretty well. But at an NFL level you have very little margin for error, so you need to make your motion as good as it can possibly be. If you have a hitch, or you don't get it out quick enough, or some other random issue, defenses will pick up on it and destroy you. Giving somebody like Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed an extra half-second to react to your throw is suicide

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2011

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
Can you go ahead and paste in what you said about Cam? I'm currently arguing with a friend over whether or not he is overrated and am interested.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

No because it was wrong. Arguing about who is over- or underrated is kind of dumb because rating itself is subjective. Cam is pretty awesome, but it could just be because teams don't have tape on him and he's getting lucky. But the guy's got a huge arm and awesome quicks, he'll be a success for a while in this league. He has a pretty bad release and his passes tend to sail, but he's awesome as gently caress in every other facet of the game (except reading defenses which he'll get better at).

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Newton still has horrible mechanics, he's just able to use his physical talent (and a well designed offense) to overcome them. He's fun to watch, though!

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Also everybody forgot Steve Smith was a really good wide receiver, including Steve Smith. But he remembered in the offseason

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
What are the rules for setting the ball after a tackle?

E.g. If caught in a standing tackle and get pushed back 5 yards from where you start, do you set the ball at the furthest point you made it to, or do you set it where you finished up? What about receiving? Touchdowns?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

sc0tty posted:

What are the rules for setting the ball after a tackle?

E.g. If caught in a standing tackle and get pushed back 5 yards from where you start, do you set the ball at the furthest point you made it to, or do you set it where you finished up? What about receiving? Touchdowns?

This is a rule known as "forward progress," the ball is placed at the furthest point forward where you had control of the ball, unless you voluntarily run backwards.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
I've heard in some of the threads protections that are placed on the quarterback on how/where you an tackle them. What exactly are these rules, and how are they set up to prevent the Texans from playing Arian Foster at QB and just running every play and taking advantage of these protections?

e: thanks ^^

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

sc0tty posted:

I've heard in some of the threads protections that are placed on the quarterback on how/where you an tackle them. What exactly are these rules, and how are they set up to prevent the Texans from playing Arian Foster at QB and just running every play and taking advantage of these protections?

The quarterback cannot be hit in the head area, at the knees, or by the defender's helmet while behind the line of scrimmage as a passer. Once he becomes a runner, normal running rules apply because he's a runner. Foster wouldn't get any protection unless he drops back to pass.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

jeffersonlives posted:

The quarterback cannot be hit in the head area, at the knees, or by the defender's helmet while behind the line of scrimmage as a passer. Once he becomes a runner, normal running rules apply because he's a runner. Foster wouldn't get any protection unless he drops back to pass.

At what point does a QB become 'a runner?'. Wouldn't this give advantage to QBs that like to scramble out of the pocket, whilst still remaining behind the line of scrimmage. I'm probably over-stating the advantage this gives, but I just watched Cam Newton (and now watching Tebow) and from a newbies point of view it seems like a no brainer for a QB to have a decent running game as a plan B.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The protections generally apply to the person who takes the snap (which would apply to QB Arian Foster) while they're in the pocket or behind the line of scrimmage (neither of which would apply to Foster for long).

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

sc0tty posted:

At what point does a QB become 'a runner?'. Wouldn't this give advantage to QBs that like to scramble out of the pocket, whilst still remaining behind the line of scrimmage. I'm probably over-stating the advantage this gives, but I just watched Cam Newton (and now watching Tebow) and from a newbies point of view it seems like a no brainer for a QB to have a decent running game as a plan B.

If you've got the ball cradled in your arm you aren't going to get any quarterback protections. These protections really aren't generating much advantage because they go away when you look like you're trying to run or exist basically only while you're throwing. Any player can get the slide protections but you are down where you start sliding and so you lose a shitload of yards this way. If referees spot the ball correctly (which they seem not to, unless I'm mistaken on the rules).

And you can hit the quarterback with your helmet, but you can't tuck your helmet and go head first. There's also a forcefulness provision on the knee hits.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Dunno if it's been explained here previously, but what is a franchise tag?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

JPrime posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

JPrime posted:

Each team can designate one of their free agents at the end of the season as a franchise player by offering him a guaranteed contract at the average of the top ten salaries at his position, or 120 percent of the player's previous year salary, whichever is greater. The franchise player becomes a form of a restricted free agent, and any team signing another team's franchise player must surrender their next two first round draft picks.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

That forward lateral that happened during one of the Broncos' fumbles, if that had been caught by the officials, would that have gone back to the Broncs? I'm guessing not since it happened after the ball was recovered, but sometimes things can be a little counter-intuitive. I'm guessing it would have just been however many yards the penalty carries back for the Pats offense, right?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I didn't see the play, but I can tell you the ball wouldn't be taken away from the team that committed the penalty just because of the penalty. They'd mark off the penalty from the spot of the foul and let them keep it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Detective Thompson posted:

That forward lateral that happened during one of the Broncos' fumbles, if that had been caught by the officials, would that have gone back to the Broncs? I'm guessing not since it happened after the ball was recovered, but sometimes things can be a little counter-intuitive. I'm guessing it would have just been however many yards the penalty carries back for the Pats offense, right?

Would never have happened in this situation because it was a muffed punt (Cosby never had possession, he hosed up trying to catch it) and the ball was dead as soon as it recovered. I continue to be shocked by the number of professional special teams players who don't just dive on the ball in that situation and make 110% sure that they're going to recover it.

Now, assuming it's a catch and fumble we're talking about; if the ball hits turf from the pass, it's an incomplete forward pass like any other and is dead (otherwise you letthe play run to conclusion), and then you enforce the penalty, which would be five yards from the spot of the foul. Ordinarily there would also be a loss of down there, but that doesn't apply in this case because of a concept called "continuity of downs", which meant that the Pats' series was over when the kick crossed the neutral zone and they didn't have a down to lose.

terrin
May 10, 2005

Trin already said it I just wanted to emphasize that the officials didn't miss the lateral, it came after the play was over so it didn't matter at all.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I see. I generally think of any recovery that isn't an interception as a fumble, so that's my mistake. Didn't know a muffed punt recovery doesn't allow for a return. Thanks!

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I was ready a story on steroids in sports, and the 1994 San Diego Chargers team was mentioned as particularly doped up, with a lot of members dying young. Could anyone give me more backstory on this?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Meat Recital posted:

I was ready a story on steroids in sports, and the 1994 San Diego Chargers team was mentioned as particularly doped up, with a lot of members dying young. Could anyone give me more backstory on this?

9 or 10 players from that 1994 team are now dead, but I don't think being doped up had to do with many of them. A lot of them were plain freak accidents that has led a lot of players to think that that team was simply cursed, like a player dying in a plane crash, another one dying in a car crash, another one being hit by lightning multiple times. I know that Natrone Means won't even talk about it when asked.

Here is an article about that team specifically

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/25/AR2008122500790.html

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Can anyone shed some light on what happened in pro football in 1951? I was browsing through some old stats and came upon Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch's receiving yards record. In 1951 he finished with 1495 yards receiving with 17 TDs. Those are impressive numbers in themselves but what makes it really astonishing is that the second most receiving yards that season was Gordie Soltau's 826 (at least according to my cursory browse through the stats). All in all, only a few players posted more than 400 yards receiving.

I get it that generally the receiving yards were low due to the game being different back then but I have to wonder about Hirsch's stats. Was he used in some groundbreaking fashion? Did the Rams revolutionize passing or was it just some statistical anomaly? How come Hirsch's team mate Vitamin Smith has such a cool name?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Hirsch was the first wide receiver as we know it today. He was the first guy to be split out wide IIRC, and the first guy to wear a plastic helmet. So yeah, he did revolutionize the passing game, and he was a pretty good player too.

I'm sure nobody could cover back then, so he only had to make one guy miss and then it way touchdown city.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

So how do they pick which stadium the SB will be played in? Luck of the draw, or something more calculated than that?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

So how do they pick which stadium the SB will be played in? Luck of the draw, or something more calculated than that?

Cities/teams put together Super Bowl committees that then present their case to the owners who then vote on it. There's more to it than that I think, but the basic idea is that cities/teams vie for the votes of the rest of the league's owners.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
How far apart are linemen? Like, what's the distance from the LG's center of mass and the LT's center of mass, usually? Is there a set standard, or does it vary alot from team to team, formation to formation?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I was going to type up a thing but here you go: http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2008/10/linemen-splits.html

quote:

This doesn't always come up, but one of the most interesting games within the game in football are the splits between the offensive linemen. Some teams use a lot of wide splits, with as much as three to even six feet between linemen, while others keep it closer to roughly a foot, or even toe-to-toe. But like everything else in football, what kind of splits you take is informed both by what the defense does and what your philosophy is.

To understand why splits matter, you need to understand how defensive fronts align. Typically, most defenses are taught to align on the basis of where the offensive guys align, which makes sense because those defenders are trying to get through or around the blockers to get to the running back or quarterback. So defensive linemen and linebackers were told from the earliest days of football to align "on the inside eye of the guard," "heads up the center," or "on the outside eye of the tackle." The linebackers had similar instructions, though they aligned behind the offensive line. Over time, defenses got better at mixing up these alignments, even before the snap. We've all seen linemen shift from the outside eye of the guard to the gap between the guard and center, or simply align late. All this is designed to confuse blocking schemes.

More at the link

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

How does free agency work?

Let's take Matt Flynn. If Cleveland would pay X million more, but Flynn wants to go to Seattle because he likes the weather/team/coach/whatever more. Can he choose?

Does it differ from "potential elite QB" to a fullback, who takes any contract he can get?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

OperaMouse posted:

How does free agency work?

Let's take Matt Flynn. If Cleveland would pay X million more, but Flynn wants to go to Seattle because he likes the weather/team/coach/whatever more. Can he choose?

Does it differ from "potential elite QB" to a fullback, who takes any contract he can get?

There are restricted free agents and unrestricted free agents.

Restricted free agents are free to negotiate with any team, but the team that they're currently on can match any offer.

Unrestricted free agents are free to sign with any team they want.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Are the injury reports (probable/questionable/doubtful) a product of the teams, or a product of media reports? If the former, is there some incentive for a team to be accurate, or indeed to bother filing it at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Incoherence posted:

Are the injury reports (probable/questionable/doubtful) a product of the teams, or a product of media reports? If the former, is there some incentive for a team to be accurate, or indeed to bother filing it at all?

Teams, and the league sanctions them if they falsify the reports. Large fines, loss of draft choices, etc.

• Locked thread