Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Super Robot Chogokin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

tsob posted:

Is the gold weapon he's using on the right a new, toy only thing? I don't recall him using it in show at least.

He used it in the show, but rarely. Maybe twice.

I'm somewhat upset that there's no Melting Siren effect part (at least yet) :(

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Dre2Dee2 posted:

:swoon::fh:

I...I NEED this.

On Melting Siren though, I don't know how they'd do an effect for it.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Just watched Shin Mazinger at the recommendation of this thread... and why the gently caress did it end just as it was getting so GOOD?

:suicide:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Mikael Kreoss posted:

Just watched Shin Mazinger at the recommendation of this thread... and why the gently caress did it end just as it was getting so GOOD?

:suicide:

To set up for Shin Mazinger: Great-hen, of course.

Which will never happen because the studio closed down.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Pureauthor posted:

To set up for Shin Mazinger: Great-hen, of course.

Which will never happen because the studio closed down.

Don't crush my dreams. :smith:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Speaking of which, a whole bunch of the Blu-Ray episodes got a second/third version and were posted here.

http://www.hiei-tf.fr/smf_frenchiessubs/index.php?topic=207.msg2882

Episode 20: http://www.multiupload.com/D2NLGXD53E
Episode 21: http://www.multiupload.com/TO60AUDLVG
Episode 22: http://www.multiupload.com/5OUXSADM08

23, 24, and 26 should be coming out soon, in the meantime here's 25 lawl

Episode 25: http://www.multiupload.com/DBRXEM0HXL

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Super Robot Chogokin Big Volfogg looks pretty drat bad rear end, but ultimately his is a power and a force that I've seen before.

Not so much with this machine:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Schwarzwald posted:

Super Robot Chogokin Big Volfogg looks pretty drat bad rear end, but ultimately his is a power and a force that I've seen before.

That's no machine, that's a God.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I really love the sword design. The design is pretty good in general, but the sword is just really nice and simple.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Bryger episode 22 out.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The BD version of Shin Mazinger is now fully subbed.

Episode 23: http://www.multiupload.com/C0448B1M8Y
Episode 24: http://www.multiupload.com/7QFNEYX8N4
Episode 26: http://www.multiupload.com/3WPRK9JRIJ

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Schwarzwald posted:

This is the sort of thing they need to bring to the US. You don't just make The Megazord and not try to tap into the nostalgia aspect from who knows how many kids who watched the first Power Rangers and now have jobs and probably money.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Captain Invictus posted:

This is the sort of thing they need to bring to the US. You don't just make The Megazord and not try to tap into the nostalgia aspect from who knows how many kids who watched the first Power Rangers and now have jobs and probably money.

Well bluefin is in charge of the distribution of Super Robot Chogokin stuff to the US, so hopefully some US online retailers will get these :allears:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Daler Mehndi posted:

The BD version of Shin Mazinger is now fully subbed.

Episode 23: http://www.multiupload.com/C0448B1M8Y
Episode 24: http://www.multiupload.com/7QFNEYX8N4
Episode 26: http://www.multiupload.com/3WPRK9JRIJ

Are they planning to put up a torrent of them all? I dont really want to direct download 26 episodes.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I don't know if this has been posted about before in a different thread or not, but scanlations of Mitsuru Yokoyama's Mars volume one got released recently, along with the first two chapters of volume two. It's worth checking out!

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Hey, so I've been reading the Getter and Mazinger mangas courtesy of Dynamic Pro Scanlations, and I've been wondering what's the order to read this stuff in. Does Shin Getter come before or after Go? Similarly, does Mazinkaiser come before or after Grendizer? Apologies if this question has been asked and answered already, but I skimmed the thread and couldn't find it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Shin Getter comes before Go, though it was printed after. Mazinkaiser and Grendizer aren't directly related, and don't really fit together.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

AzraelNewtype posted:

Mazinkaiser and Grendizer aren't directly related, and don't really fit together.

But Grendizer is still sort of a Mazinger sequel, right? Or is that just something they added for the anime/for SRW?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Grendizer was always a Mazinger sequel; Kouji is a major character even in the TV series that gimps him to TFO duty, and Testuya/Great join them in the manga. Mazinkaiser was made up for SRW much later, initially by exposing Mazinger Z to Getter Rays, though they've played with it since then.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
Dear ADTRW goons,

I've been trying for years to remember the name of an anime that I watched as a kid and was hoping that my search might end here. I'll try to come up with as many details as I can.

The stories often focused on a boy who wore round glasses and rode a jet cycle. The head villain was purple (I think) and mainly sat on a throne, half in shadow, in a lair with his minions around. The heroes' mecha was large enough for a sizable crew, and I seem to remember that it could transform from ship to humanoid. Its color scheme was black, white, and primary colors, and it had a very angular design.

I watched this on tapes rented from Blockbuster, so it probably wasn't very obscure. This would have been some time in the early '90s. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

llama_arse posted:

The stories often focused on a boy who wore round glasses and rode a jet cycle. The head villain was purple (I think) and mainly sat on a throne, half in shadow, in a lair with his minions around. The heroes' mecha was large enough for a sizable crew, and I seem to remember that it could transform from ship to humanoid. Its color scheme was black, white, and primary colors, and it had a very angular design.
Possibly Macron 1, which mixed together Goshogun and Srungle?

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.

Amadeus Windfall posted:

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Schwarzwald posted:

I want that loving yesterday!

but onto the point of my post. I was told multiple people in this thread have Gundam extreme vs, and I should ask here for opinions about it. How import-friendly is it, and is it worth the money?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

TaurusOxford posted:

I want that loving yesterday!

but onto the point of my post. I was told multiple people in this thread have Gundam extreme vs, and I should ask here for opinions about it. How import-friendly is it, and is it worth the money?

The basic menus mostly have English on the buttons, and if you have any previous experience with the VS series the ones without English will make sense fairly quickly. If you ever have to select mobile suits, there's pictures of them. The only trouble I ran into was in trial mission mode, where it was hard to tell what skills were without knowing a little kana, but with Google Translate, you should be able to figure those out from Japanese sites pretty easily. The trials themselves rarely amount to more than 'kill x targets as quickly as possible'.

I'd say it's worth the money if you love Gundam and especially if you like the GvG games on the PS2 and PSP. I imported it during Christmas/New Years and love it, having very little Japanese experience.

This guide is pretty useful for finding your way around.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-PS3-Mobi...#ht_5939wt_1282

This was the cheapest it goes for on ebay, but oh well. It's goon approved so it must be worth it. I'm overdue to wreck some poo poo with the God of Death. This will actually be my first GvG game, but I need a new fighting game, since UMvC3 is kicking my rear end when it comes to mastering inputs.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Amadeus Windfall posted:

I love their ridiculous exposition in the first half.

"We have two heroic robots that are never onscreen together. Aren't the viewers going to notice that?"

"It's okay, they're working together from two parallel universes!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aquarion Evol sure is a show about a protagonist who has the closest thing to a literal plotboner I've ever seen. I'm not sure why I expected anything else from it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm going to bring up a post from another thread because I think it's relevant.

Guyver from the OP in the winter anime thread posted:

01/08 Aquarion Evol
[...] This one will probably be meh since it lacks Gen Fudo and that soccer playing kid.

This is only half true. The new Aquarion show takes place 12,000 years after the last, but Gen Fudo is still a character. He has a beard now.
To compete with the previous Aquarion punching the moon, this show features body-checking the moon. Not bad for a first episode second episode.

The other super robot show, Lagrange, was also surprisingly good, or at least the first episode was. I wasn't sure about the mecha designs at first, but they look good in action, and the fan service wasn't overbearingly awful. It reminded me of "Mayoi Neko Overrun" episode 7, but with less Yuusha and more WWF.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 11, 2012

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

They still have Pierre in the GONNA GET ALL THE GIRLS guy, sort of. Aquarion is a story about repetition.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
In older news, White Base has bequeathed unto us, a non-terrible release of the Mazinkaiser movie that was never licensed for whatever reason. Though then again, ADV kind of shat up the OVA, so maybe this is for the best.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Nice. The movie may not have been as good as the actual OVA episodes, but I thought it was entertaining enough for what is basically an excuse to have a series of cool fight sequences against an overpowered enemy. In that respect, I think it matches a lot of older Super Robot films and, for that matter, perhaps the original Mazinger Z movie that inspired it.

wielder fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 11, 2012

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
It's sort of the exact opposite of that. Mazinger Z gets its rear end handed to it in that movie, but in this one Mazinkaiser is so utterly overpowered that they had to write it out of the first two acts, so it can show up and utterly wreck everybody's poo poo immediately, ending what would have been the Great Mazinger series in the first conflict.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
I just always get confused as to why Tetsuya's piloting the 'imitation' Great Mazinger in the movie instead of the stronger one he found in the Kaiser Scrander hangar during the OVA. :sigh:

At least Boss got his time to shine, again.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Oh... these subs are actually kind of terrible, and the video isn't that good looking either. At least it's not TV-Nihon I guess.

Edit: Holy poo poo, these are super bad. The only positive thing is that they're softsubs, and don't have tedious effects all over the place.

Edit 2: Okay, this is some HK level bullshit. I'm sorry I linked it.

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 11, 2012

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's sort of the exact opposite of that.

My apologies. Thanks for clearing it up, since I either did not watch the entire original movie or otherwise forgot the details (can't really tell by now).

EDIT: Oh well. I guess it's better to keep the old version then.

wielder fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 11, 2012

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Wow, I thought Aquarion managed to be as suggestive as possible with combining but Evol manages to go beyond even that. I think it might actually have become so suggestive that it's no longer suggestive and is just plain saying, "Yeah this is sex."

Tripcode Mel
Nov 23, 2008

Melons with a vengeance.
Melvengeance.
I made a deal with my roommate to play Fire Emblem 5, if he sits down and plays Super Robot Wars J. I kind of got the short end of the stick on that deal, but he's having an absolute blast.

Last I checked in he was at stage 20 and he told me, "Boss Borot is my best unit." :hellyeah: Every now and then I can hear him shout "MAZIN POWERRRRR!" from the other room.

EDIT: "Just imagine all the anime you're going to have to watch after this." "I don't want to imagine. I just want to DO IT." At the very least we'll be watching Nadesico, Zeorymer, and Mazinkaiser (again). Maybe even Dancougar.

Tripcode Mel fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 11, 2012

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Da-Garn episode 20 out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tripcode Mel posted:

I made a deal with my roommate to play Fire Emblem 5, if he sits down and plays Super Robot Wars J. I kind of got the short end of the stick on that deal, but he's having an absolute blast.

Last I checked in he was at stage 20 and he told me, "Boss Borot is my best unit." :hellyeah: Every now and then I can hear him shout "MAZIN POWERRRRR!" from the other room.

EDIT: "Just imagine all the anime you're going to have to watch after this." "I don't want to imagine. I just want to DO IT." At the very least we'll be watching Nadesico, Zeorymer, and Mazinkaiser (again). Maybe even Dancougar.
So is he new to giant robot anime or?

• Locked thread