Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's not a Stross thread, is there? Pity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pope Guilty posted:

There's been one but I haven't seen it near the front page in probably months.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Pope Guilty posted:

He's been brought up in the Space Opera thread a few times at least.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I think it got archived; I can no longer find it with search, and that's a reliable way to know something's in archives. (Sure wish I could figure out how to search archives.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

inklesspen posted:

(Sure wish I could figure out how to search archives.)
You can't, it's too big a strain on the servers for them to implement. I think it might be possible if you search site:somethingawful.com on Google, though.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If anyone needs a late Christmas gift, Amazon UK has all the Watch novels for only 15 pounds, which is pretty much nothing for 7 books.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So yesterday on University Challenge one of the guys playing said he was currently working on the latest Pratchett TV adaptation. Do we know what that is?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

thebardyspoon posted:

So yesterday on University Challenge one of the guys playing said he was currently working on the latest Pratchett TV adaptation. Do we know what that is?

Must be The City Watch mini series?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

mllaneza posted:

Nobody is ever allowed to complain about the difference between the US and UK covers of anything. Ever.

It's a decent novel. Not one of Stross' best, but decent.

We even get hatless Dresden Files covers! :v:

Don't even mention the US Fuller Memorandum cover, it's just, egh.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Kerbtree posted:

Don't even mention the US Fuller Memorandum cover, it's just, egh.

It does successfully convey "well now I am hosed", which is a large part of Bob's thought process, I think. But it kind of looks more appropriate for Discworld than the Laundry. (And now we are back on topic.)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

John Dough posted:

If anyone needs a late Christmas gift, Amazon UK has all the Watch novels for only 15 pounds, which is pretty much nothing for 7 books.

Down to 10 quid now, I bought these because some of my copies weren't in english and some where falling apart. Thanks for the link

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

inklesspen posted:

It does successfully convey "well now I am hosed", which is a large part of Bob's thought process, I think. But it kind of looks more appropriate for Discworld than the Laundry. (And now we are back on topic.)

Fuller Memorandum seems like a pretty goddamn tame example of "bad American covers." Without the weird skull in a hood (who the hell is that supposed to be?) I would have had no complaints with the cover. It let me see clearly what Bob looks like (with, yes, a great 'oh bugger' expression) and it had a pretty tastefully subtle depiction of the pyramid.

We really need a separate Stross thread, I want a place to impatiently anticipate The Apocalypse Codex :allears:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
We've had two, I think (though I can only find this one (archives link)). Basically what happens is the discussion dies down and it gets archived and then forgotten. Might be better to stick with one of the genre megathreads?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

For some reason, one channel here showed The Hogfather. I say for some reason because Terry Pratchett is almost unknown in Denmark. Only the first four books, I think, have been translated.

And I think that Hogfather is best film adaption yet. The sets are gorgeous, Death is both sinister and sympathetic, The Death of Rats is adorable, the wizards bumbling and so on.

I also liked Going Postal, which I just got around to see last week. It changed the plot quite a bit, but I still think it worked.

I really like that victorian-esque Ankh-Morpork they have created for these Sky movies. If they use that for the Watch-series (if it ever becomes real) I'd be very happy!

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Can someone please point me towards a rough order of books to start someone on Terry Pratchett? I've been reading them for so long I'm not sure where someone should start to get a handle on his humour and also on the discworld universe. Should I start them on Good Omens and then move sideways?

Adeptus
May 1, 2009
I'd recommend giving them Small Gods first, then start through them in published order. It doesn't matter really, but published order makes the most sense chronologically and for character development. They might find it a bit difficult to start with though, as the first few books aren't quite as good. Maybe skip the first few, then go back to them a bit later? Personally, I started with Mort, which worked pretty well.

Going through a bunch of the Watch books first, then going back to the beginning would also work fairly well, I'd think.

Since Good Omens is a separate world, and probably the best thing both Pratchett or Gaiman have ever produced, I'd say it's also a very good place to start.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Iacen posted:

I really like that victorian-esque Ankh-Morpork they have created for these Sky movies. If they use that for the Watch-series (if it ever becomes real) I'd be very happy!

I think they are using the art of Paul wonderfully for set design and background. Modern Ankh-Morpork certainly fits more in my mind with a mixture of Renaissance, Georgian and Victorian influences.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Speaking of, any word on the progress of the Watch show?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Adeptus posted:

I'd recommend giving them Small Gods first, then start through them in published order. It doesn't matter really, but published order makes the most sense chronologically and for character development. They might find it a bit difficult to start with though, as the first few books aren't quite as good. Maybe skip the first few, then go back to them a bit later? Personally, I started with Mort, which worked pretty well.

Going through a bunch of the Watch books first, then going back to the beginning would also work fairly well, I'd think.

Since Good Omens is a separate world, and probably the best thing both Pratchett or Gaiman have ever produced, I'd say it's also a very good place to start.

I would agree with Small Gods if wildfire1 (or whoever) is having to 'sell' a more stereotypical literary-fiction reader, someone who might otherwise turn their nose up at the Discworld books as fantasy, on picking up Discworld at all. However, if they're already sold on the idea of Discworld and just want a good place to dive in, I'd argue they should start with Guards!, Wyrd Sisters or Mort and specifically save Small Gods for a treat later on.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

JerryLee posted:

I would agree with Small Gods if wildfire1 (or whoever) is having to 'sell' a more stereotypical literary-fiction reader, someone who might otherwise turn their nose up at the Discworld books as fantasy, on picking up Discworld at all. However, if they're already sold on the idea of Discworld and just want a good place to dive in, I'd argue they should start with Guards!, Wyrd Sisters or Mort and specifically save Small Gods for a treat later on.

She's specifically sold on the idea of Death as a main character and what that implies in the world, as well as the style of humour so I might see if I can find Mort and start her there. Thank you both for your help.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
If that's the case Reaperman might be a better choice since there's more focus on Death and his role in the Discworld Universe. The whole business with Windle and the mall all stems from Death's absence after all.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Personally I'd recommend reading the Death books in order, Mort is still great in its own stance, and it is just adds to the pay off as you read the new(er) ones.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
I am just reading the books in publication order and I am up to Mort. I think they were great and the Rincewind books did a good job of setting up the Discworld for me. The footnotes are by far the best thing.

I think reading them from the start was a good move since you get introduced to Death in the Rincewind novels and in Mort they come back to it. Hopefully every book will have references like these.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Just finished Snuff after I bought it as a gift for my grandmother. I really didn't like Unseen Academicals - I read it immediately after a full read-through of the series and it seemed stilted and un-Pratchetty, like an old pair of shoes not fitting nearly as well as you remember. I chalked it up to his disease and got really depressed; Snuff was a great read and it's really satisfying to know we can't count him out yet. It was relentless funny and tight from cover to cover like all the Guards books.

It felt like a retread of some of the themes Vimes faced in Night Watch, Vetinari's :shroom: I'M OKAY WITH DRUGS :shroom: PSA was really out of place(Drumknott even acknowledges it), I was hoping to see more of Willikins/Silver but it proved to be irrelevant, and we didn't really spend enough time with Stratford to hate his guts like we did with Carcer, Gilt or the Dragon King. But I had a great time with it and I think every Discworld book should have a Nac Mac Feegle somewhere in it.

A question I've been debating a long time: Are the Young Adult books worth the read? Yeah, they're Discworld, but half the fun is Pratchett's solid, clever writing and I would only imagine that'd be the first to go if you're lowering your reading level.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Yes, yes and yes. The Tiffany Aching books are great and lose none of the charm compared to the rest of the series.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeah, they're basically the usual discworld books without all the debauched sex, needless violence, and casual swearing.

So, uh, they're basically the usual discworld books. They're really very good, and although the first one might be a little on the small-words side of things, it's because she's like nine years old in it. They're definitely worth the read.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The first book also has some of the best stuff he's written in it, mainly the way Tiffany remembers the legend of her grandma and when she shows up dressed as Little Bo Peep at the end made me tear up the first time I read it. There's this sense of awkwardness I think of lot of us can relate to when it comes to interacting with older relatives (especially grandparents) that Tiffany deals with and I think the payoff is brilliant.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kasonic posted:

A question I've been debating a long time: Are the Young Adult books worth the read? Yeah, they're Discworld, but half the fun is Pratchett's solid, clever writing and I would only imagine that'd be the first to go if you're lowering your reading level.
Yes. They're all pretty good, with the exception of I Shall Wear Midnight. Maurice and the Talking Rodents is really exceptionally clever in some ways.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kasonic posted:

As said above, they're all excellent. Nation is also one of Pratchett's best books, and it's not Discworld.

Hogblob
Mar 24, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Well according to this it's going to be Unseen Academicals, in which case we'll get to suffer through David Jason's Del-Boy in Dress "Rincewind" again.

Although I've got to admit I'm interested in seeing what they do with Nutt. The kind of orc prosthetics that come to mind (pretty much thinking of LotR) would be difficult to build a likeable protagonist on top of. I hope I'm wrong, of course, but Mr Pump fell a bit flat last time, and their lack willingness to really show trolls or even dwarfs so far makes me wonder whether they're going to rein in the orcishness a bit.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Dr. Sno alluded to reading Discworld books to kids.

Which books do ya'll think would be suitable, say, for grades (*not* ages) 4-6? (Besides Amazing Maurice, which came to mind first?)

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 3, 2012

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Dr. Sno alluded to reading Discworld books to kids.

Which books do ya'll think would be suitable, say, for grades 4-6? (Besides Amazing Maurice, which came to mind first?)

The Tiffany Aching books seem perfect for this sort of thing, and Nation would probably be great too.

As far as the main Discworld books go, there's a few more adult-orientated themes in there, but they're still fairly appropriate for younger kids. Maybe the Death books would be a good place to start, or possibly the more recent Moist stories?

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Thanks, Adeptus!

Oh, and feel free to name any books you think would make particularly good class read-alouds, too!

Silverfang
Dec 30, 2011

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Thanks, Adeptus!

Oh, and feel free to name any books you think would make particularly good class read-alouds, too!
I'll agree with Adeptus that the Death books would be good for them. Particularly Mort. The Truth was another good one that I think kids may enjoy. Maybe Sourcery too.

I've been going through all the audiobooks on my mp3 player at work, and I'll keep looking for you.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The Death books might be a bit much for 4-6 year olds, because as much as Death is Pratchett's very own creation, he is also Death, and as much as we like to treat kids as uniquely savvy that's still a scary concept for someone that wee. Plus Mort has a bunch of murders in it. I'd stick with the Aching books.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
The Bromeliad is a fun series that would be great for kids.

Amazon link

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

Nilbop posted:

The Death books might be a bit much for 4-6 year olds, because as much as Death is Pratchett's very own creation, he is also Death, and as much as we like to treat kids as uniquely savvy that's still a scary concept for someone that wee. Plus Mort has a bunch of murders in it. I'd stick with the Aching books.

4-6 graders, which is a bit older. I don't know exactly how US grades work, but it think thats around 10-12 ish? Give or take a bit?

I've also just remembered the Johnny Maxwell books - Only You Can Save Mankind, Johnny and the Dead and Johnny and the Bomb. It's been years since I read them, so I can't really vouch for the quality, but I think I remember them being good. They're aimed for readers around about that age and are much shorter than the average Discworld book, so might be suitable for reading to a classroom.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The only problem with them is that they may have dated a bit. Only You Can Save Mankind is especially... 1990.

I mean, I loved them when I read them around 2000 or so, but the references and so on are getting ever further into the past.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I've only read Only You Can Save Mankind (in primary school, in 1994, oh Jesus) and it had some great chapters. It was incredibly dated, being centred around a videogame as it was. And it was invested very well in the world of gamers and to an extent programmers, but the game was Space Invaders in complexity.

Dear God I hope they've changed the cover by now. The illustration of the alien on the front just makes them completely ... blergh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wasn't Johnny and the Dead decent done as a TV series? I watched it when I was quite young.