Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The worst I had was when I'd bring games to friends' houses in highschool - backpacks are oddly hellish on CD cases and CDs alike, and somehow I completely ruined my Disc 1 of Star Ocean 2 that way.

Ruined as in "suddenly the hole in the middle is twice as large".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011
Years ago I had these neighbors that would come over and watch my sister and I play games on our PS2, which was on a shelf above the TV. The girl who had to be at least 6 years younger than me managed to trip over the controller wire which caused our PS2 to come crashing down 4 feet onto the floor. Twice. Which resulted in it no longer being able to play PSX games at all. :sigh:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

KataraniSword posted:

The worst I had was when I'd bring games to friends' houses in highschool - backpacks are oddly hellish on CD cases and CDs alike, and somehow I completely ruined my Disc 1 of Star Ocean 2 that way.

Ruined as in "suddenly the hole in the middle is twice as large".

Ouch. I never really had that problem. I generally speaking kept disks really clear, since I was used to cassettes and cartridges. So after my first snapped disk I always took extra precautions with them. Luckily the snapped disk was my brothers music album that we had just burned, so it was easily replaced. Unfortunately, my ff7 disk 1 is horribly scratched up. Mostly due to plain old age. I can play disks 2 and 3 just fine though! I know this because I dug up my ff7 when this lp started to play along... Found my Wild9 disk in the ff7 case as well. It works beautifully.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

reading this and it makes me wonder why my parents and siblings never listened when I'd freak out if I found my game disks outside of their cases.

I ended up buying that CD Doctor paste stuff because I didn't know about resurfacing at the time (of course I only used the stuff about 3 times) and it was only because I had a couple disks get so bad at certain points the games would just crash. Mind you, these were PC games since I didn't have any disk consoles till my Wii and my PS3 and even now I'm learning if you're not careful with the system when you leave the game in there, you can ruin disks.

My Red Dead Redemption disk has a VERY nice gash in it from the PS3 getting bumped while the game was on.

Thinking back, I think one of the other reasons I had games crash on me was because the computer I had for 6 years was top of the line in 96/97 but by 2000 some of the games I was buying were too much for it, so after a while, even the small scratches would cause the computer grief. Of course there was the one time I was copying a disk for my brother so we could play against each other online and I put the game disk in the burner :downs: I never knew you could shatter a cd IN the cd-drive

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.

Prison Warden posted:

Nintendium dude.

I've never really had a problem with my old discs, since even as a kid I was super careful/paranoid about putting them back in the box. I think CDs rot or something as they age though, so even with careful looking after they will degrade eventually.

e vvvv: It might be your Playstation rather than the disc. I have my old PS2 as well as my little brothers old PS2 slim, and for some games certain parts will always work on one machine, but never the other (Disgaea and FFX are the biggest offenders here) so I have to swap around which machine I use.

Interesting that "bit rot" is an actual thing with cartidges but not discs. Under good conditions it apparently takes at least 25 years for carts to start rotting but it can also take a lot longer than that. So many people still have working carts made in 1987 it's ridiculous. Funny enough when CDs first started to become a thing there must have been some advertising campaign that said they were virtually indestructible because everyone seemed to believe that for about a week of owning their first CDs (until they rendered them unplayable of course).

Golden_Zucchini posted:

So far as the games themselves failing, I've only had it happen twice. First was when my Legend of Zelda cartridge battery decided to die just as I had reached the ninth dungeon in the second quest. Second was just last night when I discovered that my PS2 is unable to spin up disc one of FFVIII. Actually, that's probably the PS2. Disc 2 works fine, and so far as I can tell disc one spins up fine in my computer, but the PS2 just makes these horrible, intermittent vibrating/rattling noises.

Without more information it sounds like your laser mechanism to me, but this depends a lot on which PS2 you're using and some other things. Whatever it is is definitely fixable if you really want to put the effort into it. Cart batteries are super easy to replace too, of course nothing can bring your save file back. :(

wit
Jul 26, 2011

NatashaQuick posted:

Funny enough when CDs first started to become a thing there must have been some advertising campaign that said they were virtually indestructible because everyone seemed to believe that for about a week of owning their first CDs (until they rendered them unplayable of course).

Infamously on BBC One's futuristic technology show Tomorrow's World, the presenter DID say that, hell that's almost a direct quote. He even spread jam on a loving CD to prove it! I can't find any clips of it online, but it was quite a joke afterwards and I've seen it played on TV quite a few times.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
"Floppy Disks" actually used to be floppy, not the stiff plastic ones most of you might know. Those original floppy discs were pretty indestructible just because they were so flexible, so that kind of made up for the fact that cassette tapes were a pain in the arse. And damned if they didn't take forever to load a game. And you'd have to start again if you jogged the tape.

I want to say I've got a terrible story about mistreatment of my own games but I've taken too good care of them. I think the worst I've done is put Command & Conquer CD in the CD drive while forgetting I had Warcraft 2 in there. Having two CDs in a CD drive at the same time...

e: don't want to derail this into a nostalgia/being crap at caring for your games job

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I actually had to buy FF7 twice. I had gotten to the end of disk one and for some reason disk two was scratched to hell, so when prompted to change disk it took me hours of opening and closing the disk reader until it finally allowed me to play. Of course, any time I wanted to load a save game after that, if I inserted disk 2 on start up, it wouldn't read at all, so I had to use disk one, and then load it from there, and change when prompted, having to repeat the open and close reader for an hour. Another result was that the overworld had squares randomly missing from it. Of course, I loved this game, and half way through disk two I said gently caress it and bought another copy, which works to this day.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Considering all three discs actually contain the full game sans FMV, you probably could have just swapped back to disc 1 after the authentication process.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
When I was a kid, I usually just left my discs lying outside the box because I thought it would be "faster" when swapping games out of the drive. And by "lying outside the box" I mean "literally left them on the counter/desk/floor" with no regard whatsoever for what the unprotected disks might come into contact with.

One scratched copy of Ratchet and Clank later and I suddenly learned to take very good care of my disks.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I don't think I've ever purposely left a CD laying about to get scratched. The only time I've ever gotten a disc so scratched it was unplayable was when I owned an old 360, and if you tilted it it would leave a nasty circular scratch on the CD.

Three dead games later led me to getting a PS3, and I have yet to regret that decision.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
My brothers are loving terrible for keeping discs in boxes. We must have twelve empty boxes with missing discs easily, and three videogame disc pods just to house all the orphaned DVDs. It's like they play a game, swap discs, then leave the old disc on the floor (or worse yet put it in a different box) and forget about it. Then they wonder why their games won't work. It gets even worse with cartridges - we've got God knows how many GBA/DS cartridges lying around because the boxes were discarded or simply lost. We had two copies of Bowser's Inside Story, and now we can only find one empty box.

Speaking of Bowser's Inside Story, don't get me started on loving save files. :argh:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

My copies of Freedom Fighters and Breath of Fire 3 are both so scratched so bad that they don't work. My copy of Ace Combat 4 really shouldn't work, either, but it somehow still does. It's the most durable disk I've ever had. I actually didn't buy it, I found it on the floor after I moved into a new place, and it was already scratched to poo poo. Since then, it's been attacked by a cat, left on the floor for several weeks, stepped on, and used as a coaster. Still works just fine.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Do you people all literally have sandpaper-covered desks and gravel floors or something? I've got plenty of games that I left lying around out of their cases for years at a time, and they're just fine and not scratched or anything. CDs may not be indestructible, but it's not like they're made from tissue paper and flower petals either.

Er. So, what about that FF7, eh? I played it on PC first too and it was a really lovely port. I loved how it required some random graphics card feature that the popular cards like the Riva TNT didn't have. And all the FMVs were squashed vertically for some reason. The music was OK though, I got a lot of use out of the decent soft synth they bundled with the game. (I think that was FF7 anyway.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Mega Man Legends lost a big chunk when I opened the case. I wondered why the CD looked a little bit melted and it played through to the end. It became unplayable after beating it and doing a reset.
I had far worse things randomly happen to my consoles and suddenly becoming useless.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Soricidus posted:

Do you people all literally have sandpaper-covered desks and gravel floors or something? I've got plenty of games that I left lying around out of their cases for years at a time, and they're just fine and not scratched or anything. CDs may not be indestructible, but it's not like they're made from tissue paper and flower petals either.
Well, I had something called a little brother. It was like living in an airport in that "items left unattended will be removed and destroyed".

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

Well, I had something called a little brother. It was like living in an airport in that "items left unattended will be removed and destroyed".

Yeah, I was that little brother for a while. Eventually, I learnt my lesson when I scratched a copy of Crash Bandicoot 3. However, just a few years later I was the careful one and my older brothers and sisters where the ones who where leaving all my discs lying about. Thank God they all have their own consoles and games now.

HHammond fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 3, 2012

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS
Elentor, is this your first LP? The Master List says it is. I thought you were a long-time LP'er and I went to look for older stuff you'd done. You're a natural, I reckons.

We're approaching the bit where the plot began to get away from me when i first played it. Looking forward to the commentary from that point on especially, as FFVII's plot has never really been clear to me.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > These discs is sick - Let's Play Final Fantasy VII!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FinalSin posted:

Elentor, is this your first LP? The Master List says it is. I thought you were a long-time LP'er and I went to look for older stuff you'd done. You're a natural, I reckons.

We're approaching the bit where the plot began to get away from me when i first played it. Looking forward to the commentary from that point on especially, as FFVII's plot has never really been clear to me.

Yea. I was interested in starting it when I saw that there had been no finished LP in the archives, then I posted the first update on the sandbox.

And you're right. In about 5 updates we'll start to get to the point where things start to get confusing and then they all become apeshit crazy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elentor posted:

In about 5 updates we'll start to get to the point where things start to get confusing and then they all become apeshit crazy.

It seriously took like 4 plays for me to understand the plot of the game at the point you're referencing onwards. I'd like to say it's just translation, but I can't imagine it being much clearer with proper translation. So much happens all at once, and all the conflicting information just boggled me back in the day (like the whole Nibelheim being burned down but still being there; hell, it wasn't until this LP that I even knew there was a note explaining it :psyduck:). This is definitely a game that you need to play more than once to understand it all.

It doesn't help that a lot of the stuff that helps clear it up a bit is a bit hidden.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Cannot Find Server posted:

It seriously took like 4 plays for me to understand the plot of the game at the point you're referencing onwards. I'd like to say it's just translation, but I can't imagine it being much clearer with proper translation. So much happens all at once, and all the conflicting information just boggled me back in the day (like the whole Nibelheim being burned down but still being there; hell, it wasn't until this LP that I even knew there was a note explaining it :psyduck:). This is definitely a game that you need to play more than once to understand it all.

It doesn't help that a lot of the stuff that helps clear it up a bit is a bit hidden.

There's a cutscene that I think only plays on disc 3 if you go kinda far out of your way. It explains a significant portion of the backstory for like four major characters and is 100% skippable. It's almost malicious.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

George posted:

There's a cutscene that I think only plays on disc 3 if you go kinda far out of your way. It explains a significant portion of the backstory for like four major characters and is 100% skippable. It's almost malicious.

Yeah, that was a design decision I never really understood.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

George posted:

Link to this video? I've beaten the game several times but I've forgotten what this might be.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

zenintrude posted:

Link to this video? I've beaten the game several times but I've forgotten what this might be.

It's not an FMV.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah, that was a design decision I never really understood.

IIRC, this was added specifically for the US version and then included in the "International" edition.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

IIRC, this was added specifically for the US version and then included in the "International" edition.

My mind went to that at first too - although another scene was apparently inserted into the main plotline, so I don't know why they couldn't have made that one a bit more obvious - but I think he may actually be talking about a scene involved in getting one of the ultimate weapons.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zandar posted:

but I think he may actually be talking about a scene involved in getting one of the ultimate weapons.

It's been a while, but that is indeed what I believe I am talking about.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

zenintrude posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxI1S3sg9es

HUGE FREAKING SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

zakharov posted:

Ahh, yea... I had no idea this was not in the original Japanese release. They must have been so confused!

edit: Made the mistake of watching the Crisis Core ending. Holy poo poo is that bad.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 4, 2012

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

zakharov posted:

Wow I had no idea that was in the game

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

zakharov posted:

HUGE FREAKING SPOILERS

Oh, yeah. That scene. I have no idea why that is a missable scene.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Oh, yeah. That scene. I have no idea why that is a missable scene.

A load of things that don't make sense about this game are explained in that scene, and yet I don't think anything ever tells you to go there to get it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I guess I'm stupidly over thorough or something, because I found the message in Nibelheim AND that scene on my first playthrough. The only things that I missed out on was the extra stuff only accessable via Gold Chocobo breeding and the Weapon fights. v:shobon:v

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Moving on from spoiler talk.

Cannot Find Server posted:

The interesting thing about LPing this game is that I'm sure it will be a fresh experience to a lot of people who've played it before too. The plot of the game makes sense, but it gets extremely convoluted very soon. I imagine that for someone who haven't played the game it's even hard to imagine how it can turn complicated from the point we're in, since it's been very straightforward until now (pursue Sephiroth).

I still think it's less tiresome than FF8's. I like FF8, but by the time (FF8 spoilers) I found out Edea was Cid's wife I was like "seriously, can I start getting some answers and not just questions?".

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Elentor posted:

The interesting thing about LPing this game is that I'm sure it will be a fresh experience to a lot of people who've played it before too. The plot of the game makes sense, but it gets extremely convoluted very soon. I imagine that for someone who haven't played the game it's even hard to imagine how it can turn complicated from the point we're in, since it's been very straightforward until now (pursue Sephiroth).

This is exactly the case, as someone who's played it a couple of times and is generally familiar with the plot :)

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
As far as I know that scene was supposed to be in the original japanese release but was omitted because they had to rush the game's release. Maybe they changed the events that were supposed to lead to this scene so much when they decided to take it out that they couldn't figure out a better place to put it other than to make it optional when they reinserted it in the US version.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 4, 2012

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Not to fuel that spoiler fire, but I think it worked a lot better than the letter in Nibelheim. When I got to that point in the LP, I think if they dropped something more subtle it woulda helped the hell out of the atmosphere. Or at least waited until a bit later to wreck the suspense.

Hard to tell what woulda been better to do there.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I was obsessive enough as a 12 year old fan to understand the plot pretty well after scouring numerous fansites and using gamefaqs to find everything, but this LP is still a new experience for me simply because of how much I'd forgotten. I'm another one of those who had their perceptions of the game and its characters ruined by the EU/obsessive fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Elentor posted:

Moving on from spoiler talk.

I still think it's less tiresome than FF8's. I like FF8, but by the time (FF8 spoilers) I found out Edea was Cid's wife I was like "seriously, can I start getting some answers and not just questions?".
All I have left after the tears ran out for FF8 is laughter, when they banged it into your head about memory loss from using G-Force (as a kid). Only a coincidence that the story would have been vastly different if a second character didn't lose those same memories.

• Locked thread