Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

cheese posted:

Agreed. Personal/home water conservation is a red herring and nothing will change for the better until we manage water from an industrial perspective.

Well if you start focusing on industrial usage, it fucks with people's profits... So, yea, that's just about the last thing that will ever get any serious attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
My discipline is psychology but my PhD is in carbon capture, so I've been getting to know the social side of climate change literature quite a bit. There's one particular article that I found very interesting: The Psychology of Global Climate Change (Rachlinski, 2000)

Rachlinski posted:

One can scarcely find a problem faced by contemporary society that better fits the definition of a social trap than global climate change. The worst-case scenarios projected by the scientific community are biblical in proportion.

He talks about the combination of institutional/economic factors, cognitive biases and tragic commons principle that basically mean nobody will do a loving thing about global warming. It's a little dated, but it's a good read. Highlights:

Rachlinksi posted:

Several psychological phenomena of judgment, however, support a more pessimistic perspective on humanity’s ability to respond effectively to the prospects of global climate change. First, because of a lack of a scientific consensus* on the degree of climate change that the planet will experience, society is unlikely to achieve a consensus on the need to undertake costly preventive measures. In other cases of scientific uncertainty, people tend to adopt extreme positions, and adhere to them closely, which makes consensus in a large group difficult or impossible. Second, even if a consensus emerges that the problem requires costly solutions, other psychological phenomena suggest that people will be unwilling to undertake such a solution. People become attached to their current level of prosperity. They feel entitled to what they have, which makes any solution that requires significant cutbacks in the economic status quo unacceptable.

These factors make an international treaty extremely unlikely. They also make the development of social norms against consumption of fossil fuels an unlikely path to addressing the problem. Although a few psychological phenomena also suggest that people will respond effectively to the prospects of global climate change, on the whole, the problem is one that society is unlikely to remedy. The conventional approaches to solving the tragedy of the commons will not facilitate an escape from the social trap of global climate change. Some innovative approach to this unique commons dilemma is required.

* It doesn't matter that there actually is a scientific consensus, what matters is that people don't think there is one. "Teach the controversy" and all that.

Rachlinski posted:

The scientific evidence on global climate change presents plenty of fodder for biased assimilation. Although there is a general consensus that human activity is affecting the global climate, estimates of the degree of the change and the impact that it will have vary tremendously. Just as many scientists believe that the weight of evidence suggests that global climate change is becoming a serious problem, others believe that the evidence suggests otherwise. Predicting the climate is a complex challenge for scientists that will surely produce a mixture of support and opposition for the prediction that global climate change will cause significant adverse consequences to society.

The first wave of environmental legislation in the 1970's resulted from a groundswell of concern about environmental degradation that the threat of global climate changes is unlikely to be able to replicate. Unlike air and water pollution, global climate change is a somewhat intangible harm that requires a belief in scientific theory to understand. Biased assimilation ensures that skepticism will remain strong among some people. In turn, this will make it hard to promulgate regulations of or levy taxes on carbon emissions. Given the complexity of the task of predicting the global climate, conflicting scientific evidence will certainly haunt the debate. Rather than lead to a more temperate response to a potential catastrophe, the conflicting scientific evidence will likely stifle society’s response.

Rachlinski posted:

Even if a consensus emerged on the scientific aspects of the problem, society might still be unwilling to undertake expensive precautions to reduce the likelihood of a catastrophic change in the world’s climate. Psychologists and behavioral economists have discovered that people are reluctant to undertake activities that change the status quo for the worse. People treat a potential loss from the status quo as more significant than a potential gain from the status quo. People also make riskier choices in the face of losses than in the face of gains. Each of these influences will impede society’s ability to undertake precautions to reduce the risk of global climate change. These influences also make negotiations that distribute costs among parties particularly difficult, thereby complicating efforts to negotiate an international treaty to reduce fossil fuel consumption.

Society could accept a sure loss by reducing the consumption of fossil fuels, which
would result in a reduced risk of adverse climatological consequences, or refuse to accept the losses required to reduce fossil fuel consumption and incur a greater risk of more severe climatological consequences. Because people are generally averse to incurring a sure loss, advocates of fossil fuel reductions as a precaution against the prospects of global climate change face an uphill struggle.

Nevertheless, the reference point for negotiations and discussion has been, and will likely continue to be, the current levels of consumption of fossil fuels. Losses are the natural frame for discussion global climate change. In effect, the threat of global climate change means that society is actually poorer than it appears. Society must either tolerate a loss in wealth today, or risk a more significant loss in wealth tomorrow. Choices about preventive measures to reduce the risks posed by global climate change will be made from the perspective of losses. Consequently, society will be willing to endure much riskier options than it should.

Rachlinski posted:

Although in many contexts, people are willing to sacrifice a great deal so as to be fair, people also find it easy to come to believe that a fair resolution of a dispute benefits them over others. If two sides to a dispute feel entitled to more than half of the pie, then a negotiated resolution of their conflicting entitlements will be difficult. Paradoxically, the preference for a fair outcome can combine with a sense of entitlement to create a significant impediment to allocating losses.

To lower the risks of global climate change in the next century, the world’s nations have to reduce the collective rate of combustion of fossil fuels. An international treaty therefore has to allocate some economic costs among every country. To make matters worse, the negotiations will require overcoming the enhanced loss aversion that comes with entitlement. Countries feel entitled to their current level of fossil fuel consumption and some developing countries feel entitled to an expansion of their rate of consumption of fossil fuels. This will make losses difficult for countries to tolerate and may make many countries inclined to gamble that the impact of carbon emissions is at the low end of the uncertain estimates, rather than incur the certain loss of economic activity.

In short: Not only are we swimming upstream against global economic/industrial growth, we're also swimming upstream against individual human psychology because of the structure of the problem and the way it's framed. Global warming is very gradual, nearly invisible (and by the time it's visible, it's far too late), and requires immediate and sizable sacrifices yesterday if we want to mitigate it. Modern humans aren't equipped to deal with that. We don't just need an institutional revolution, we need to change the way we think and talk about climate change, but it's still not clear how we're meant to do this.

My job is to investigate the psychological factors governing public perception of carbon capture in particular but also global warming in general, and from what I know so far nothing people do makes any sense. It's all feedback loops and complex systems and totally unintuitive causal relationships that you wouldn't expect. I'm happy to talk about it though.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

cheese posted:

Agreed. Personal/home water conservation is a red herring and nothing will change for the better until we manage water from an industrial perspective.

I will never forget the water conservation tip I got from Captain Planet as a child: Dishwashers are very wasteful. Instead of using a glass or a mug to drink out of, use a disposable paper cup instead!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boing posted:

In short: Not only are we swimming upstream against global economic/industrial growth, we're also swimming upstream against individual human psychology because of the structure of the problem and the way it's framed. Global warming is very gradual, nearly invisible (and by the time it's visible, it's far too late), and requires immediate and sizable sacrifices yesterday if we want to mitigate it. Modern humans aren't equipped to deal with that. We don't just need an institutional revolution, we need to change the way we think and talk about climate change, but it's still not clear how we're meant to do this.

My job is to investigate the psychological factors governing public perception of carbon capture in particular but also global warming in general, and from what I know so far nothing people do makes any sense. It's all feedback loops and complex systems and totally unintuitive causal relationships that you wouldn't expect. I'm happy to talk about it though.

I think that the dangers of climate change CAN be effectively communicated. This year had a record number of droughts, wildfires, floods, and hurricanes (either matching or exceeding the ravages of the dustbowl of 1930, floods of '29, and the tornado epidemic of '74). The science isn't exactly one to one, but it's clear that adding more warmth to the atmosphere is acting like adrenaline for our climate system. We had a record number of 12 national disasters this year, compared to the normal rate of 3 or 4. People can get their heads around that. The problem is that it has been politicized by a reactionary wing of our politics, but it is something I believe that people will have no choice but to face.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

cheese posted:

My point was that a graph like this not going to do all that much to help anyone. Most people won't understand statistical certainty and error, and it will simply be dismissed as 'lawl scientists can't tell if its 1 degree or 6 degrees!'. If we are going to change things before its too late, we need something better than a 2070 graph that a lay person is not even going to understand.

That's an odd point to make here, about a graph taken from a scientific report not designed for public consumption and posted in a thread in which climate skepticism is banned.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Republicans posted:

Instead of using a glass or a mug to drink out of, use a disposable paper cup instead!

This brings to mind one of the things that struck me as odd about conservation is the schizophrenic nature of some of the arguments. Like "Use plastic shopping bags instead of paper to save trees." Well, yes, ok, it does save trees, but trees grow back (more than once in a human lifetime), oil doesn't.

A product cycle that goes "farmed forest --> new paper product ---> recycled paper product ---> waste paper burnt to generate electricity" is not only by and large carbon neutral but is totally sustainable and conserves petroleum. Wood ash is also high in potash and phosphorus, so with some processing it can be used to fertilize the forest it came from. In this way the farmed forests are then little more than cellulose factories.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Shageletic posted:

I think that the dangers of climate change CAN be effectively communicated. This year had a record number of droughts, wildfires, floods, and hurricanes (either matching or exceeding the ravages of the dustbowl of 1930, floods of '29, and the tornado epidemic of '74). The science isn't exactly one to one, but it's clear that adding more warmth to the atmosphere is acting like adrenaline for our climate system. We had a record number of 12 national disasters this year, compared to the normal rate of 3 or 4. People can get their heads around that.

Most people don't want to live in interesting times, they want to do their job and come home a little richer than their parents and raise their kids in a world that promises the same for them too. Climate change is a nebulous existential crisis for society (but probably not humanity) and people are going through the stages of grief because either way their life is going to change dramatically and very likely for the worse, unless you kick the can down the road, then you can pray that technology or God comes to the rescue or that the scientists are wrong.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I think that the dangers of climate change CAN be effectively communicated. This year had a record number of droughts, wildfires, floods, and hurricanes (either matching or exceeding the ravages of the dustbowl of 1930, floods of '29, and the tornado epidemic of '74). The science isn't exactly one to one, but it's clear that adding more warmth to the atmosphere is acting like adrenaline for our climate system. We had a record number of 12 national disasters this year, compared to the normal rate of 3 or 4. People can get their heads around that. The problem is that it has been politicized by a reactionary wing of our politics, but it is something I believe that people will have no choice but to face.

The problem I see is the same one that exists regarding almost any important issue related to politics/the economy - media is proven to more or less direct public sentiment, the media's message is more or less determined by whoever provides the particular television station/newspaper/whatever with revenue, and corporations have the most money.

As a result, it's almost impossible to shift public opinion in a direction that doesn't align with corporate interests. It feels nice to say that people will change their minds with the right evidence or message, but people are ultimately influenced the most by what they see and hear in the media. Even if we do have more natural disasters, it's easy to simply not mention their connection with climate change or claim that it's just due to something like El Niño/La Niña. The important thing to keep in mind is that, even with far more natural disasters, the vast majority of Americans still won't be directly affected. You'd have to see a substantial portion of Americans directly and unequivocally impacted by climate problems before it would override whatever the media says, and that would obviously be way too late.

I'm just hoping that at some point a powerful corporate sector becomes substantially worried about the affects of climate change. I don't mean to come off as a Negative Nancy, but I think that many people heavily underestimate the extent to which the public's views (that includes everyone, including myself) are shaped by media. I think that Occupy Wall Street is a perfect example. The media was completely successful in turning public opinion against the movement and letting it more or less disappear from national discourse. The extent to which national discourse can be affected simply by how often the media chooses to report something is truly outstanding.

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.
Dramatically changing people's live in order to stop climate is NEVER going to happen. Seriously, just try and tell people that you want to put up legislation that will force car or gas prices up so that people will rely on public transportation or that their taxes are going to go through the roof because they chose to live in a suburb. Either people will vote you out of office or there will be riots.

I'm saying this as a person who understands climate change well and knows what's coming. The reality is that you are not going to get anyone to change unless it's literally hitting them in the face and even then, I even doubt it. Most people are idiots who continually watch shows like Jersey shore and the Kardashians. They want to live it up just like those people. If you even try and tell them that you are taking away their ability to try to be like those idiots through legislation and taxes, then you will have serious issues and you will be painted as a villain by the media who will give these people huge amounts of attention. The general public is stupid, you should never forget this fact.

What we are going to have to do is start preparing for the worst case scenario. That is, what will happen if there is a 6 degree rise in temperature. True it's not really something we can truly prepare for, but things can be done.

The focus really needs to shift from prevention to dealing with the after effects.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

ryan8723 posted:

What we are going to have to do is start preparing for the worst case scenario.

So you mean the deaths of like ~6 billion people? Or complete extinction of our own species? What do you think the worst case scenario is at this point?

There is no living preparing for that scenario, there is nothing you can do to prepare for a catastrophe of that scale. The best we can hope for is for our society to collectively wake up and reform in order to live in the reality we've created for ourselves as quickly as possible. What kind of events will need to transpire for that to take place is another question all together, or if it's even possible at all.

I don't think we need to shift away from prevention, we just need to be honest about it and stop pretending like energy efficient light bulbs, "green" products, hybrid cars or any other bandaids are a part of the solution to this problem

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

a lovely poster posted:

I don't think we need to shift away from prevention, we just need to be honest about it and stop pretending like energy efficient light bulbs, "green" products, hybrid cars or any other bandaids are a part of the solution to this problem

Not solutions, marketing opportunities. Maybe we need a B ark.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

The problem I see is the same one that exists regarding almost any important issue related to politics/the economy - media is proven to more or less direct public sentiment, the media's message is more or less determined by whoever provides the particular television station/newspaper/whatever with revenue, and corporations have the most money.

As a result, it's almost impossible to shift public opinion in a direction that doesn't align with corporate interests. It feels nice to say that people will change their minds with the right evidence or message, but people are ultimately influenced the most by what they see and hear in the media. Even if we do have more natural disasters, it's easy to simply not mention their connection with climate change or claim that it's just due to something like El Niño/La Niña. The important thing to keep in mind is that, even with far more natural disasters, the vast majority of Americans still won't be directly affected. You'd have to see a substantial portion of Americans directly and unequivocally impacted by climate problems before it would override whatever the media says, and that would obviously be way too late.

This actually goes against the tide of the last century (and more). From the imposition of the income tax onwards, corporate interests have been defeated or usurped when a sufficiently enough number of citizens harbor even the slightest focused sense of antagonism and will. To badly paraphrase JS Mills, there is an arc here, but it is a long one.

Even today, where climate change's effects are somewhat hard to pin down or eyewitness, about half of americans believe that we cause it and that it needs to be combated. As things get worse, that percentage will increase, and so will our society's efforts to ameliorate it. It's just a matter of time.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Science journalism is almost uniformly horrible. I think because in Science there is a right answer(we may not know it, but there is one), and journalism isn't about presenting a right answer so much as it's about presenting a controversy or establishing a narrative.

So as a result, even if the climate science community is 99% behind something, all the data lines up for that conclusion, etc. the stories tend to be of the "let's ask a republican and a democrat about this" style. Both of the aforementioned talking heads will probably be lawyers who haven't had a science class since their gen ed reqs in undergrad, and are in no way equipped to offer any opinion at all. Which is just recklessly irresponsible.

Add in that the Republican party is 99% full of reactionaries beholden to large corporate interests and the Democrats are about 90% in the same boat and there is just no way to get an informed public out the other end of that. And that's not even getting into the horrid intersection of religion and ideology and science, or the reliance of the media on ad revenue from those same interests.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Buffer posted:

Science journalism is almost uniformly horrible. I think because in Science there is a right answer(we may not know it, but there is one), and journalism isn't about presenting a right answer so much as it's about presenting a controversy or establishing a narrative.

So as a result, even if the climate science community is 99% behind something, all the data lines up for that conclusion, etc. the stories tend to be of the "let's ask a republican and a democrat about this" style. Both of the aforementioned talking heads will probably be lawyers who haven't had a science class since their gen ed reqs in undergrad, and are in no way equipped to offer any opinion at all. Which is just recklessly irresponsible.

Add in that the Republican party is 99% full of reactionaries beholden to large corporate interests and the Democrats are about 90% in the same boat and there is just no way to get an informed public out the other end of that. And that's not even getting into the horrid intersection of religion and ideology and science, or the reliance of the media on ad revenue from those same interests.
You way overestimate the power of psuedo journalism. The hack writers are not convincing people there is a controversy, they are writing there is a controversy because that's what their readers like to hear.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Squalid posted:

We already have something very similar to your "nuclear tree". It is purely solar powered, requires little to no maintenance and production is a cinch. You can call it the 'solar bio tree,' or more commonly, a 'tree'.
A regular tree offers only short-term CO2 storage - once it dies and decays/burns, the stored carbon will be re-released into the atmosphere, barring weird plans I've heard people mention about doing things like burying logs in the desert. Artificial trees at least have the potential to yield carbon in a form that can be efficiently sequestered.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 2, 2012

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

A regular tree offers only short-term CO2 storage - once it dies and decays/burns, the stored carbon will be re-released into the atmosphere, barring weird plans I've heard people mention about doing things like burying logs in the desert. Artificial trees at least have the potential to yield carbon in a form that can be efficiently sequestered.

On the other hand trees are an extremely low tech, low starting cost, low maintenance , can produce stuff we want besides wood and is an highly distributed way of capturing vast amounts of carbon.

I'm going to straightforward admit that I have no idea what hypothetical products sequestered carbon could be turned into but whatever we would produce literally metric fucktons of it so it might be good to have that distributed production rather than having to move millions of tons of graphite or limestone or whatever from the "factory" to a storage area.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

So we make charcoal out of the tree and use it as fertilizer for more trees.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Claverjoe posted:

So we make charcoal out of the tree and use it as fertilizer for more trees.
That's fine. The point is, though, that the carbon sequestration ability of trees is pretty much determined by the amount of land area you're willing and able to permanently give over to real/artificial forest.

MeLKoR posted:

On the other hand trees are an extremely low tech, low starting cost, low maintenance , can produce stuff we want besides wood and is an highly distributed way of capturing vast amounts of carbon.

I'm going to straightforward admit that I have no idea what hypothetical products sequestered carbon could be turned into but whatever we would produce literally metric fucktons of it so it might be good to have that distributed production rather than having to move millions of tons of graphite or limestone or whatever from the "factory" to a storage area.
Well, if the capturing method we're using is trees, then the product is going to be wood.

I don't know, I suppose we could try to have a 'wooden revolution,' store carbon by intensive growth of trees to make into everything that can be possibly made out of wood. More wood in houses, et cetera. Flammability could then be a potential problem, of course.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 2, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just assumed that an artificial tree would capture massive quantities of CO2.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Haraksha posted:

I just assumed that an artificial tree would capture massive quantities of CO2.
Ideally, yes. If it doesn't capture much relative to the cost, there's not much point to it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Shageletic posted:

This actually goes against the tide of the last century (and more). From the imposition of the income tax onwards, corporate interests have been defeated or usurped when a sufficiently enough number of citizens harbor even the slightest focused sense of antagonism and will. To badly paraphrase JS Mills, there is an arc here, but it is a long one.

Even today, where climate change's effects are somewhat hard to pin down or eyewitness, about half of americans believe that we cause it and that it needs to be combated. As things get worse, that percentage will increase, and so will our society's efforts to ameliorate it. It's just a matter of time.

I don't think anyone is arguing that corporate interests will win forever and that the people will not eventually see the light. The concern is that this realization will be when sea levels have risen 30 feet and it will be way, way too late (assuming you don't think its already too late to avert a lot of damage).

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

That's fine. The point is, though, that the carbon sequestration ability of trees is pretty much determined by the amount of land area you're willing and able to permanently give over to real/artificial forest.

Stating the obvious is a fairly easy point to make. I think the next obvious question would be "what in the nine hells kind of trees should we plant (for good growth, much less ideal growth) when we don't know what the climate will be in a couple of decades from now in a given region."

Is it even a good idea to bother planting even mesquite trees in, oh say, West Texas?

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know, I suppose we could try to have a 'wooden revolution,' store carbon by intensive growth of trees to make into everything that can be possibly made out of wood. More wood in houses, et cetera. Flammability could then be a potential problem, of course.

Wooden shoes for everyone!

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

There are more photosynthetic organisms than just trees. While planting trees and turning them into wood/charcoal works, it's inefficient, and takes up a huge amount of land. Something like algae would be much more efficient. I've seen a number of proposals/studies done about natural carbon sequestration, and from what I've seen algae is the way to go.

In addition to carbon sequestration, you can use the algae to produce biofuels or food for animals. There's a bunch of articles about it. This article covers the concept pretty well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Uranium Phoenix posted:

There are more photosynthetic organisms than just trees. While planting trees and turning them into wood/charcoal works, it's inefficient, and takes up a huge amount of land. Something like algae would be much more efficient. I've seen a number of proposals/studies done about natural carbon sequestration, and from what I've seen algae is the way to go.

In addition to carbon sequestration, you can use the algae to produce biofuels or food for animals. There's a bunch of articles about it. This article covers the concept pretty well.

I touched on this much earlier in the thread when I posted about how iron fertilization of the ocean was a pretty terrible idea, and I'll comment on algae in general since it's come up again. Honestly I don't think algae are any better than trees and are far inferior to inorganic methods for the purpose of carbon sequestration. If you're interested in biofuels or other natural products, then algae are potentially valuable.

Photosynthesis is horrifically inefficient. The conversion efficiency from sunlight to biomass is in the range of 0.1-10% depending on the plant. Algae are even less than that, typically, because water is really awesome at absorbing light. To build an algae bio-reactor that works off of sunlight (or artificial light, either way) you'd have to use tremendous amounts of space to get enough surface area to light your algae. It's actually a very delicate balance between not enough light and sub-optimal growth and too much light will cause photoinhibition. There's also the added problem of turbidity--algae grow very very quickly, they mature in a matter of hours or days depending on species, so if you have a bioreactor that's growing at optimal speeds you also have to have some way to constantly clean out the mature biomass or the turbidity in the water will shade your algae and kill it. This happens pretty regularly in cyanobacterial cultures, which is more than likely what you'd use for such a bioreactor and definitely what you want for making biofuels. They're bacteria and as such they grow exponentially but tend to crash very quickly when they run out of nutrients or sunlight.

Algae are also mostly soft-bodied, so the biomass they produce would have to be sequestered or stored in some way so that it doesn't simply decompose and go right back into the atmosphere. Land plants are made mostly of cellulose (think wood) which will store fixed carbon for quite a long time. Cyanobacteria do grow very quickly, but the trade off is that their carbon sequestration is far less permanent than a slower-growing tree.

Edit: that article is also from 2007, which in science terms is quite dated. There's a lot of awesome research going on in algal fuel cells and particularly with chemoautotrophic strains. Did you know some bacteria pass electrons to each other through carbon nanowires? Yeah! And there's a lot of research into iron-oxidizing bugs and the like, which would probably work better than photosynthetic algae as you could "feed" the carbon fixation with an electrical current as opposed to light. Though they do grow a lot slower.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 3, 2012

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Forgive me if I'm missing the obvious, but when I think about mechanical or science based ways of physically pulling carbon from the atmosphere vs the hundreds of millions of cars and ships and factories pumping it into the air, I can't help but laugh at the 'spitting in the rain' feeling I get. Creating a bunch of carbon trees just seems so puny compared to the problem - is it realistic at all?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

cheese posted:

Forgive me if I'm missing the obvious, but when I think about mechanical or science based ways of physically pulling carbon from the atmosphere vs the hundreds of millions of cars and ships and factories pumping it into the air, I can't help but laugh at the 'spitting in the rain' feeling I get. Creating a bunch of carbon trees just seems so puny compared to the problem - is it realistic at all?

The way I look at it is that every bit helps. And you can capture the carbon near the source to feed it to whatever your sequestration method thing is to make it more efficient (eg take the emissions directly from the coal plant's smoke stack instead of waiting). And how "puny" the effort is completely depends on the method(s) and the scale.

But yeah, carbon sequestration is not a solution by itself, it's merely another step we can take to un-gently caress ourselves. Society absolutely needs to switch to zero-carbon energy for any good progress to be made.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Uranium Phoenix posted:

But yeah, carbon sequestration is not a solution by itself, it's merely another step we can take to un-gently caress ourselves. Society absolutely needs to switch to zero-carbon energy for any good progress to be made.
Well, wait, if we had sufficiently developed carbon sequestration, it seems like it would be a solution by itself. If the problem is that we release too much carbon dioxide by our industrial activities, then recapturing and burying it is just as much an answer as not emitting it in the first place.

Now, whether "sufficiently developed" is actually in the cards, that's another question, and one I can't really answer.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

cheese posted:

You pay 2000 guys (govt employment program!) to plant 200 trees a day each for 250 days a year, for ten years, and you have 1,000,000,000 trees planted. Thats maybe a million hectares (10,000 km2) of land with brand new trees and a big old rural employment program to go with it.

1 person planting trees aint much, but a whole lot of folks planting trees can amount to alot

Franz Liszt 96
Dec 15, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Uranium Phoenix posted:

The way I look at it is that every bit helps. And you can capture the carbon near the source to feed it to whatever your sequestration method thing is to make it more efficient (eg take the emissions directly from the coal plant's smoke stack instead of waiting). And how "puny" the effort is completely depends on the method(s) and the scale.

Here's a catch: 'society' is divided into countries and then further divided into states, districts, families, communities, etc. The people with a lot of money and power actually use the divisions in society to continue operating and maintain control.

For example, the United States has a ton of environmental laws on the books. They are actually reasonable, if not too strong. A company that has a dirty plant in the United States has a few options. They can invest more money than they want to and probably more than they have to magically create a clean plant or they can operate in secrecy or they can pay off the government or they can relocate their plant. 99 times out of 100, they relocate the plant to another country and continue using dirty technology and gain another nice perk of cheap, practically slave labor. In fact, there aren't many dirty plants left in the United States for those two reasons, but the pollution in China is beyond reproach.

There is no 'society' really that decides how things are done. There are only greedy people exploiting who and what they can to get a little bit of power, which in this age, is a commodity itself which can be bought. The government is a terrible means by which to force companies into environmentally friendly compliance. It only punishes people unfairly.

It would be to the benefit of mankind to use government funded jobs on things like pollution cleanup and planting trees, but the government would rather spend our money instead on fruitless wars in arid wastelands and prisons and campaigns of propaganda.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

cheese posted:

It depends where you pull it from as well. It'd also be used in conjunction with moving to new, cleaner forms of energy.

Of course right now this is all as likely as us sprouting wings and flying off to Jupiter so whatever

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Strudel Man posted:

Well, wait, if we had sufficiently developed carbon sequestration, it seems like it would be a solution by itself. If the problem is that we release too much carbon dioxide by our industrial activities, then recapturing and burying it is just as much an answer as not emitting it in the first place.

Now, whether "sufficiently developed" is actually in the cards, that's another question, and one I can't really answer.

There was a lot of discussion earlier about CCS. There's some brilliant work being done in the field and we'd probably be capable of putting some of this stuff to direct use right now.

BobTheFerret posted:

Just for anyone who's not up on what modern chemistry/biochemistry is cooking up to solve the problem of excess CO2, it might not be completely unreasonable to say we could have a way to fix massive amounts of CO2 in the next 5-10 years, assuming the powers that be are willing to throw money at the development of what has already been discovered.

On the chemistry end of the spectrum, this is what I believe to be the most promising development in CO2 fixation I have ever seen:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/327/5963/313.full

They do have video of it in action that they showed at a conference, and the results are simply stunning. For those without institutional access, this is a very small molecule that binds copper and forms a bond between 2 CO2 molecules making the compound Oxalate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxalate), which can then be turned into any of a number of useful compounds. Only uses electrons, acid, and a very easy to synthesize organic molecule. Performs millions of turnovers with 95+% efficiency, and is stable in air. There are pictures in the supplemental of the oxalate crystals formed. It's pretty amazing, and they stumbled on it completely by accident, and performed no engineering whatsoever to optimize their setup (which would help a lot with efficiency).

On the biochemistry side, you have carbonic anhydrases (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonic_anhydrase), which will catalyze the conversion of CO2 to HCO3 using only water and a metal cofactor. They are already incredibly efficient (they are among the most efficient enzymes around, and will happily truck along at the rate of diffusion until the protein degrades - which takes a very, very long time). All that needs to be done to make them effective for carbon fixation is to optimize the pH and temperature at which they will function, which many powerplants/power companies are already contracting out to biochemistry labs to do. Since you can isolate HCO3 as a solid (baking soda!), you can simply complex it with a counterion that will prevent its re-dissolution or prevent it from coming into contact with water again (bury it underground in a lined container? Preferably both methods). Better yet would be to chemically convert it into something useful (another protein could do this, or we could use it in some sort of chemical reaction).

These are things that are happening right now, and will be effective ways to fix CO2. The problem isn't so much the way as the will at this point - once there is actual urgency about climate change that reaches across political lines, there will be enough funding to solve the problem of excess CO2. You could imagine a dedicated CO2 fixation site being mated up to a power-plant (nuke, solar, wind, etc.), as well as perhaps a chemical production facility of some sort. Oxalate is tremendously useful, as is bicarbonate, in the lifecycle of microorganisms, and many will happily use these molecules as carbon sources. With a little metabolic engineering, we could convert oxalate/bicarbonate to any of a number of biofuels (not saying that organic combustibles should be our goal, but they are what get grant money...)

The problem is that capturing CO2 will never be economical on the short term (as far as our governments are concerned) because the only real plan right now is to capture CO2 and bury it somewhere in some chemically stable solid form. There's also the problem that cheese highlighted: even if we installed a lot of CCS systems everywhere we'd still be fighting against further use of fossil fuels on top of trying to remedy the current alarming CO2 levels, unless we use alternative sources of energy that produce less or no emissions. The dagger in the back is that most CCS systems will require power to work, and lots of it.

We'll need new energy sources to power both CCS and to stop us from using emitting sources. The choices are renewables or nuclear. Personally I prefer the nuclear route simply because it's more powerful and versatile:

Office Thug posted:

A bit of a cross-post from my GBS thread but the reason I'm interrested is due to the liquid fluoride thorium reactor, a reactor that was originally invented and tested at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in the 60s-70s, and which China is currently researching. The things are theoretically cheaper than coal, safer than conventional nuclear by a long shot, easier to scale, and could be placed practically anywhere due to operating at high enough temperatures to use gas turbines while not requiring water cooling. Ideally for full use of their excess heat you could build them tethered underwater along costlines. That heat could be used to do a number of things like desalinate water, and could also be used to drive the production of Hydrogen and Oxygen through Iodine and Sulfur cycles (H2O + I2 + SO2+H2O --> 2x HI + H2SO4 + 900 C heat --> H2 + 1/2x O2 + I2 + SO2+H2O). Electrical power could be diverted towards CO2 capture and storage. Using hydrogen gas and captured CO2, it would then be possible to synthesize simple hydrocarbons for use as zero net emission fuel.

Suffice to say LFTRs would be cheap and versatile enough to be deployed practically anywhere we need electricity, basic resources like water and fertilizer (H2 can also be used to make ammonium-based compounds) or fuel. Unfortunately only China seems to have any interrest in nuclear R&D these days, with all other countries continuing to build and operate old archaic 1st-2nd generation reactors. The public should be concerned if they care at all about their electricity bills or gas prices, since nuclear power has the potential to be extremely cheap when it's fully utilized and makes full use of fertile material to replace fissile fuel stocks. The ability to generate synthetic fuels anywhere would also be phenominal.

Nuclear's problems stem, quite litterally, from irrational fear. Regulations make up an astounding 75% of the total costs to building and maintaining reactors in the US at the moment, most of it being a result of work delays and the tacking on of additional safety features, a major reason why there have been exactly zero new nuclear plants since Three Mile Island. Previous to that, even our crappy 0.5% efficiency pressurized water reactors were cheaper than coal. I wouldn't count on regulations letting up anytime soon, however there are still ways to curb their costs. Small instrinsically safe reactors that need less redundant safety systems would already be a huge plus, but the most important feature of miniaturization is factory line production using a standard model. France' use of standard reactors is one of the major reasons why their plants are so incredibly cheap compared to other Westearn countries, for example.

In the end, the advantage would be a clean energy source, the ability to use CCS cheaply, and the ability to replace emitting fuels with zero net emission fuels. We'd just need to expand on both CCS and nuclear.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 3, 2012

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Office Thug posted:

Regulations make up an astounding 75% of the total costs to building and maintaining reactors in the US at the moment, most of it being a result of work delays and the tacking on of additional safety features,

So...safety is a regulatory cost?

When you say "regulations make up 75 percent of the total costs" I think "there are that many people doing redundant inspections and impacts studies and paperwork?" I don't think "damned enviro-nazis making us install safety equipment!"

For that matter, what's higher? The cost of those safety features, or the costs of Fukushima and Chernobyl averaged out over the industry?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

VideoTapir posted:

For that matter, what's higher? The cost of dealing with all the red tape thrown up to satisfy lobbyists and win votes from people irrationally scared that Fukushima or Chernobyl can happen to anything that involves radioactive materials ever, or the costs of simply not building the same kind of outdated or lovely (respectively) reactors that caused those disasters in the first place?

I would pay to see someone attempt to cause a catastrophic meltdown in a CANDU reactor, but I'm not Canadian so that's not my tax dollars at work, and you can engineer pretty drat well for safe shutdown in the event of a crisis (see America's worst reactor meltdown, Three Mile Island, the intact parts of which are still generating electricity).

I WILL give you that I don't trust new construction in America right now, because A) seriously who's doing any and B) there's a lot of sound planning that would get thrown out for the sake of profit, but that leaves a huge chunk of the power grid that can still (and probably needs to) pull itself together in places that wouldn't just sit back and take it if things went sideways.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 7, 2012

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Let's also add in how the fear and obstructionism only make existing nuclear more dangerous, since the more pressure there is against building newer, safer, and more efficient plants, the more appealing it is to keep aging models in operation as long as possible.

Really it's crazy to see people say "but Fukushima and Chernobyl!" about building new plants. It's like hearing people say "Don't talk to me about buying a TV! No way am I going to stare at a tiny black and white screen to watch three channels while I hope one of those vacuum tubes doesn't burn out again, when I could go out to see a moving picture!"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
edit: nevermind, this was idiotic.

I am not anti-nuclear. I am against the implication that safety requirements are bullshit hysterical obstructionism and an unnecessary cost. I'm also skeptical of his 75% statement without some more detail provided.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 7, 2012

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

Killer robot posted:

Really it's crazy to see people say "but Fukushima and Chernobyl!" about building new plants. It's like hearing people say "Don't talk to me about buying a TV! No way am I going to stare at a tiny black and white screen to watch three channels while I hope one of those vacuum tubes doesn't burn out again, when I could go out to see a moving picture!"

I've said it here before but nuclear power, while "clean" (just ignore those mining operations and construction-related resources) does nothing to address the far greater concern, that the power goes to fuel a constant and untenable rate of consumption. Your example about TV and movies is a great subconscious example of how deeply we have been socialized to associate quality of life with magnitude of consumption.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

deptstoremook posted:

Your example about TV and movies is a great subconscious example of how deeply we have been socialized to associate quality of life with magnitude of consumption.
If only we could go back to those halcyon days when people didn't need or want possessions to be happy.

...remind me, when was that again?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

deptstoremook posted:

I've said it here before but nuclear power, while "clean" (just ignore those mining operations and construction-related resources) does nothing to address the far greater concern, that the power goes to fuel a constant and untenable rate of consumption. Your example about TV and movies is a great subconscious example of how deeply we have been socialized to associate quality of life with magnitude of consumption.

That's totally backwards, is the problem. Yes, yes, yes, Americans could stand to drive less and buy less stuff, no one's really disputing that. But that's not the point, any more than people in Phoenix watering lawns really matters much next to farmers trying to turn the Sonoran Desert into the next cotton belt. Power efficiency and less wasteful lifestyles are nice, conspicuous consumption is bad, but fixing that won't fix the bigger problems.

The rest of the world is the point. The billions being pulled out of poverty or still barely at its edge. The ones for whom, as much as the West, have had quality of life improvements greatly caused and limited by energy availability. It's health and happiness, it's increased lifespan and health, it's reduced grueling and dangerous labor, it's industrial processes that work more efficiently and better recycle materials, it's getting crop yields that can support larger populations on less land. It's giving people the quality of life that birth rates drop and the larger population issue stops being a problem. It's giving them freedom to travel, more solid shelter, protection from elements, safety nets against bad times. This stuff is all energy-intensive. And any sort of negative climate change is going to make energy availability more critical in deciding how many people live and how many of those get something more than a short life of misery and crushing poverty.

In climate change discussion as in economic discussion, austerity as a prime solution is dangerous, in that if it works at all it will only do so at the cost of immense and avoidable human suffering. Like with economic discussion, it's mostly suggested by those who are doing okay, and like to imagine that they'll cut back a little since they're just that sort of noble person, and really if anyone else doesn't make it then obviously they just weren't up to snuff anyway.

Even if climate change ends up on the mild end of predictions, hell even if the denialists are right and it never happens, there are totally good reasons that both cleaner energy production and increased energy efficiency are things worth heavy investment in worldwide, and that the future will be better the more there is. On the other hand, if the more dire predictions are true, how much non-fossil power the world is generating will literally be what decides how many people live on this planet and how many of those are not in daily misery. "Starve the beast", however it is phrased, should be slapped out of the mouth of an environmentalist or humanitarian harder and faster than out of that of an economist.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

Strudel Man posted:

If only we could go back to those halcyon days when people didn't need or want possessions to be happy.

...remind me, when was that again?

I too have trouble imagining a world where anyone can be happy without a constant glut/rut of goods manufactured by slaves.

Killer robot posted:

That's totally backwards, is the problem. Yes, yes, yes, Americans could stand to drive less and buy less stuff, no one's really disputing that. But that's not the point, any more than people in Phoenix watering lawns really matters much next to farmers trying to turn the Sonoran Desert into the next cotton belt. Power efficiency and less wasteful lifestyles are nice, conspicuous consumption is bad, but fixing that won't fix the bigger problems.

You unwittingly do the exact same thing you criticize later on. You're brushing off consumption (fueled by the full faith & credit of the first world) as though it were some trivial concern.

Also, nice job on advocating for "population control" in the third world:

quote:

It's giving people the quality of life that birth rates drop and the larger population issue stops being a problem.

In other words, it's really up to the third world to stop having children so our mess doesn't get any worse. And, you claim, we can help them have less children. How noble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

deptstoremook posted:

I too have trouble imagining a world where anyone can be happy without a constant glut/rut of goods manufactured by slaves.
You seemed to think that people have been 'socialized' to associate quality of life with consumption (recently, presumably?), when People Wanting More Things has kind of been a key component of human behavior since we started using tools. Hoping for this to substantially change is not a viable plan for addressing our ecological problems.

quote:

Also, nice job on advocating for "population control" in the third world:

In other words, it's really up to the third world to stop having children so our mess doesn't get any worse. And, you claim, we can help them have less children. How noble.
Are you trolling? I can hardly imagine how it's possible to read "improved quality of life reduces birth rates" and interpret it as some kind of secret genocidal plot.

• Locked thread