Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

EC posted:

I'm searching from my phone so can't check to see if this still exists exists, but an article on GiantBomb said this back in May:

----
Soul Calibur V also marks a shift in gameplay style, with the two-handed swords of old being replaced by shorts words. "The enigma as to why the swords have become short swords" will apparently be addressed in the game's story.
-----

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/as-expected-soul-calibur-v-has-been-announced/3165/

That's the last thing I willingly read about Soul Calibur, so it might have changed into something else (the quest for Ivy's plastic surgeon, for example).
That sounds like a terrible translation for "Soul Edge has changed form again (like it does in almost every game in the series)." I guarantee "guys trying to find out why their swords are short" is not the game's story. I mean, the story will still be terrible and who cares about story in fighting games anyway, but even Namco isn't that bad.

Samurai Sanders posted:

In what they LOOK like, but is it still just a matter of picking a moveset from either one of the main characters, or some inferior generic ones?
No one can say whether the custom character sets will be inferior but yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, I have to admit that I'm a little amazed they had the restraint to make the video 95% male. I like the general cheesy self-aware tone of the video as a whole, though.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Did anyone play War in the North? How was it for you?

I'm annoyed you can only be one of three characters. I incorrectly assumed it would be more you pick your race and can largely customise your character.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Surlaw posted:

That sounds like a terrible translation for "Soul Edge has changed form again (like it does in almost every game in the series)." I guarantee "guys trying to find out why their swords are short" is not the game's story. I mean, the story will still be terrible and who cares about story in fighting games anyway, but even Namco isn't that bad.

No one can say whether the custom character sets will be inferior but yes.

It must be difficult to drag on a story with character relationships

In TTT2 they're having to resort to Heihachi finding a way to restore his youth

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Another game coming out this month is NFL Blitz by EA Sports for $14.99, coming tomorrow on PSN.

It better not be bad like Madden Arcade was.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
I've been playing the PS3 version of No More Heroes. Sigh... it's just not the same without Heavenly Star playing everywhere. Otherwise I'm enjoying getting some use out of my Move controller for once (even if recharging the beam katana with it really sucks).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mechanigma posted:

I've been playing the PS3 version of No More Heroes. Sigh... it's just not the same without Heavenly Star playing everywhere. Otherwise I'm enjoying getting some use out of my Move controller for once (even if recharging the beam katana with it really sucks).
The game doesn't have Heavenly Star in it for some reason?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The game doesn't have Heavenly Star in it for some reason?

Licensing issues, especially since the song is in Children of Eden right now.

I'm just glad to be able to play NMH again ever since I got rid of my Wii after finding there were only a couple games that I thought were worth playing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So the performance is good? I had heard it was awful, low frame rate and long load times.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So the performance is good? I had heard it was awful, low frame rate and long load times.

Long load times, yes, but about what I remembered from the Wii port; you'll have plenty of time to mash X to get the loading icon to fly up. As far as frame rate goes, it does stutter when there's a lot of action going on. In fairness, my PC is about a decade old, so I'm pretty blind to stuttering and such. The port's not a technical wonder or anything, but it's NMH with new features and updated graphics, which was pretty much what I wanted.

EDIT: Yeah, I was trying to be realistic and ended up sounding pessimistic; the load times aren't the best, and the frame rate will stutter when there's a lot of craziness onscreen (Like making 20 people explode at once), but honestly I haven't had a single issue with it. Aside from those two niggles, the game is fine; I wouldn't call the frame rate low by any means.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 3, 2012

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I've been playing NMH and having no problems, but I never saw it on the Wii so I don't know what to compare it to.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
I just dug out the wii version of NMH to compare, and load times are more or less the same, which is to say generally around 5 seconds. That's not too bad to me, but I guess the problem stems from how common they are in this game. As for framerate I can't comment because I honestly don't notice that unless it's really bad. I'm also only up to ranking fight 5 so far, so maybe I haven't hit any of the problem areas yet.

And yow, while Heroes' Paradise is not that amazing looking compared to other games this gen, it's such an improvement on the original. Going back to the wii version makes it look like a DS port or something! I'd say Heroes' Paradise with a Move controller is the best version of the game. It's only missing a couple of cool things that only the wii could do (using the nunchuck for wrestling moves, using the wiimote as Travis' cellphone). And Heavenly Star of course.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You know it's nice to relax before a few more games come in the end of the month.

(can't wait for Silent Hill and SC5.)

Anything good coming out in February at least?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457689

Its tricky to rock a rhyme...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ineffiable posted:

You know it's nice to relax before a few more games come in the end of the month.

(can't wait for Silent Hill and SC5.)

If you like JRPGs, the Tales franchise is finally coming to PS3 in the States with Tales of Graces F.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ineffiable posted:

There is a boatload of stuff coming in February. Good or not.. who knows. There's two more HD collections: DMC and Jak and Daxter, Kingdoms of Amalur, SSX, Ashura's Wrath, Syndicate, possibly Ninja Gaiden 3, and Twisted Metal.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I'm really excited about Twisted Metal and SSX, they both look like they're going to be amazing. They're also the two games I've wanted most this console generation (after GT5) so to see them finally released will be great :D

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Policenaut posted:

If you like JRPGs, the Tales franchise is finally coming to PS3 in the States with Tales of Graces F.

I've heard loads of talk about the Tales franchise over the years but never actually picked up any of the titles. Should I start with Tales of Graces F in March or pick up Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS in February?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The 3DS port of Abyss is apparently pretty shabby and also rare as hell, whereas Graces looks fantastic and has a significantly different battle system. I'd say wait.

If you absolutely have to play a Tales game now, and have a 360, get Vesperia; if you have a PS2, get Abyss PS2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

BGrifter posted:

I've heard loads of talk about the Tales franchise over the years but never actually picked up any of the titles. Should I start with Tales of Graces F in March or pick up Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS in February?

Either one of them would be pretty good to go with. I haven't played Graces F beyond the Japanese demo but I thought the combat system was way more fun and engaging than Abyss' with its crazy combo system. Here's a few official videos from Bandai on Abyss 3DS' combat.

I think the people in the Tales thread who've completed both games would be better at fielding this, but from what I understand Graces F has better combat but Abyss has a better story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BGrifter posted:

I'd get Graces simply because a handheld port of an older game is going to be problematic anyway. Graces has a better combat system too.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches

Policenaut posted:

Tales game

the phrase "better story."

lol

Disclaimer: I haven't played Tales of Graces F. I haven't watched video clips, or played a demo, or even seen screenshots. Still, I can confidently tell you it is a better game than Tales of the Abyss.

Second disclaimer: I have a Final Fantasy avatar. Characters inspired by anime cliches are not necessarily a game-ruining feature for me.

All this said, Abyss' story is terrible. The protagonist is a whiny, self-entitled bitch called Luke, and his main love interest Tear is the silent "no one understands my pain" type. Quite a captivating duo, between them, especially when you realize this is a dialog-heavy game. Spoken dialog, nonetheless, often with lovely voice direction. I am pretty sure that if they raised the decibels for Anise' voice actor a couple more notches, glass would shatter.

Tales games usually have fun button-mashing battle systems that are interesting enough to make me finish the rote stories, but I got halfway through Abyss and quit, ruing the hours of my life I had wasted.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Everyone posted:

Abyss sucks.

Thanks all, bad purchase avoided.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Just finished Yakuza 4. End game thoughts:

I really wish they would stop getting shot for unbearably stupid reasons. After Yasuko was killed, Saejima should have killed himself for being such an utter moron, but, alas, he was probably too stupid to realize how much of an idiot he was. Ditto for Akiyama's bros after his Mythbusters death.

Also, regarding the billions of yen, donate that poo poo to a charity or something, you jerks. Or at least let me spend it all on hostesses.

Edit: They could have mostly skipped the whole finale bullshit, by just exposing king jerkface's shenanigans in the news.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 3, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Either one of them would be pretty good to go with. I haven't played Graces F beyond the Japanese demo but I thought the combat system was way more fun and engaging than Abyss' with its crazy combo system. Here's a few official videos from Bandai on Abyss 3DS' combat.

I think the people in the Tales thread who've completed both games would be better at fielding this, but from what I understand Graces F has better combat but Abyss has a better story.
To me, the better gameplay in Graces F makes up for the less interesting story (given that both are pretty bad) and then some. I have Xillia right now but it just isn't doing it for me like Graces F did. I haven't picked it up in months while I could hardly put Graces F down.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there a known issue with the older launch PS3 controllers where they just mess up? I've been having two issues now where sometimes the controller analog stick will act like I'm holding right or left for a few seconds. Very annoying if playing a racing game or something :( I doubt Sony has some sort of return policy on this stuff.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah actually, I had that problem with a couple of my older Sixaxis and an early Dual Shock 3. Mine would always stick upwards and it got really annoying. I don't think they have a return policy though, I just always shoved the controller into a drawer or sold it to a pawn shop and got a replacement.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Same here. Lots of fun to spas out in the middle of a Modern Warfare match.

Come to think of it, I haven't had the issue in quite some time. But I'm sure it will happen in a few minutes now that you brought it up.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Harlock posted:

The possibilities are endless!

*Slides boob slider to +100*

There actually was a "breast jiggle" slider in Dead or Alive 1. If you turned it all the way up, the female characters' boobs would smack them in the face every time they moved at all.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The slider in DoA1 wasn't even a slider funny enough, it was linked to the "age" you input in the Options. So you just went and said you were like 100 years old and suddenly the game was like fighting on the moon

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

PSN+ members get the entire Back to the Future series and Syphon Filter 1-3 this week for free. :stare:

Is that the best PSN+ content update yet?

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Gonna taze people till they catch fire for daaaaays. So many fond memories of the original SF. Never really played 2 or 3.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jjaarreett posted:

Gonna taze people till they catch fire for daaaaays. So many fond memories of the original SF. Never really played 2 or 3.

2 was a bit more difficult but ultimately I think its my favorite for the amount of poo poo that happens in it. 3 is just average in every way. I mean its not a bad game, but I didn't find it nearly as fun as 1 or 2.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm thinking of picking up GTA 4 for pretty cheap. Is it a good play?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Retail Slave posted:

I'm thinking of picking up GTA 4 for pretty cheap. Is it a good play?

I didn't like how they implemented the social life mechanics into the game, but loved the new handling of the cars. So I would just drive around, not doing any missions. The PS3 version is okay, but not smooth.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches

Harlock posted:

PSN+ members get the entire Back to the Future series and Syphon Filter 1-3 this week for free. :stare:

Is that the best PSN+ content update yet?

They were giving away a couple decent games last week too. I think it was that midpriced Lara Croft PSN game (Guardians of Light?) and some decent PS1 platformer.

If you make regular PSN purchases, PSN+ is worth it. I think the total value of the discounts or goods they gave away last year amounted to something like $400+. Obviously you wouldn't have spent all that money, but you will easily get your value's worth.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Honest Thief posted:

I didn't like how they implemented the social life mechanics into the game, but loved the new handling of the cars.

Something is completely wrong with this statement.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Krad posted:

nah, driving and crashing were fun, bowling and going to a ricky gervais stand up weren't

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Krad posted:

How so? Getting a call from Roman every time I'm about a block away from a mission marker was one of the most frustrating things I've ever experienced in a game that wasn't a broken game mechanic.

I also very much enjoyed the driving. Honestly, going from GTA IV to Saint's Row 2, as far as driving goes, was the worst because the driving in SR2 was so bad.

That said, while it was a well-made and enjoyable game, I'd have to recommend Saint's Row 2 or 3 (or both if you get 3 for PS3 and register for online before Feb. 15) before I recommend GTA IV, as they were a whole lot more fun, if a bit less polished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Id actually recommend he get the Episodes of Liberty City if he can. The Lost and the Damned sucked, but Ballad of Gay Tony was much more fun than the core game.

• Locked thread