Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Fortis posted:

And then you should attack a zombie pigman.

God drat there are a lot of pigmen sometimes. I've seen like 20-30 of them all mulling about in an area. I've accidentally hit one when mining, or deliberately attacked some, and they've auto-hostiled me upon loading my game/The Nether sometimes, but those were only small groups of 3-4. I could not imagine if dozens of them went batshit on me all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

a starwar betamax posted:

When is the release date for Cobolt's?

Same as Minecraft's. Relesed but not really, like ever probably.

http://mojang.com/2011/12/16/say-hello-to-cobalt/ posted:

The game is still under heavy development and will be so for a long time. Just like Minecraft, Cobalt will be discounted during development and increase in price as it reaches Beta and finally the 1.o release.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is this the part where I refer to Minecraft's 1.0 release before the game is even finished and relate it to Cobalt's development strategy? Because so far it seems pretty spot on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Notch being uninvolved with Cobalt is enough to make me wait and see. I don't think we can draw any conclusions.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Yeah, I actually really like the pricing model of allowing customers to buy in very early and play an incomplete version in exchange for them paying less than those who wait and see, and I think it's especially smart for independent developers. The real problem is that (with an N of 1) Mojang doesn't seem to be able to follow through on development, regardless of sales model. The N of 1 thing makes it impossible to tell if it's a Notch thing or a company culture thing, so there's not much to do if you actually think the game has potential other than wait and see (or possibly pay in while it's cheap if you think it's already well on its way, like people who were satisfied with just the lego aspects of Minecraft).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fortis posted:

And then you should attack a zombie pigman.

You should. Zombie pigmen are super easy to kill and they drop gold nuggets occasionally.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Willie Trombone posted:

Yeah, I actually really like the pricing model of allowing customers to buy in very early and play an incomplete version in exchange for them paying less than those who wait and see, and I think it's especially smart for independent developers. The real problem is that (with an N of 1) Mojang doesn't seem to be able to follow through on development, regardless of sales model. The N of 1 thing makes it impossible to tell if it's a Notch thing or a company culture thing, so there's not much to do if you actually think the game has potential other than wait and see (or possibly pay in while it's cheap if you think it's already well on its way, like people who were satisfied with just the lego aspects of Minecraft).

I think it's kind of a bad pricing model. Minecraft might be worth $15 or less in its current state, but definitely not $30. I wouldn't have bought it now if I hadn't back in alpha.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

PalmTreeFun posted:

I think it's kind of a bad pricing model. Minecraft might be worth $15 or less in its current state, but definitely not $30. I wouldn't have bought it now if I hadn't back in alpha.

I agree completely with your last two sentences. They alone don't justify the first, though. The problem isn't the pricing model, it's that Minecraft was never made into the game that was promised, and there are plenty of game companies which don't have such problems delivering on promises when given years to do so.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Willie Trombone posted:

there are plenty of game companies which don't have such problems delivering on promises when given years to do so.

Not just “years” but also around $40 million dollars!

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

You're paying for the game as is, and to support its future development. Not for any promise of either continued development/support or continued development in accordance with whatever the dev's current 'vision' is.

That's the way I look at it anyway.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I know we're not entitled to anything, but it's not unreasonable to be disappointed when a dev gets tens of millions of dollars in funding for a project and then basically gives up said project without even trying to use the money to finish it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The problem is that Notch/Mojang doesn't really have any QA measures in place. They just expect the users to find all the bugs and to report them, with only some of them actually getting fixed. Also, if they can get away with just leaving something substandard that would usually be fixed before release they will (See Mincraft's awful default textures).

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Crossposting from the modding thread, I've updated Jetset Minecraft Manager with the two most requested features (certainly my most requested features):

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?023yg9xywa9hgse

Changes include a button to open the folder of your currently selected profile (to make modification and tinkering easier), and changing the dropdown box into a list. It's totally awesome and bug free and rad as gently caress, and you should download it, and never have to manually copy/paste your minecraft profile or choose between awesome mods and vanilla multiplayer or not updating ever again. If you use Minecraft Profile Manager you should switch to this because it has the same requirements and features but a lot more awesome stuff on top like spaces in profile names.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
I love not playing this game for a while and starting again without looking up new features.

*gets in a boat, loving wrecks hardcore into a LILY PAD???*

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/154558535219421186

jeb_ posted:

I've been working on making the biomes less flat. Also added a super-flat world type option:

:woop: Come back, gargamel, we require your presence! I'm guessing this will invariably make breaks between old and new terrain as usual but it will probably be entirely worth it. I'm ready to leave our 1.0 worlds behind for more mountainous adventures and hills!

I wonder who that man is. :ohdear:

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

A Sassy Dog posted:

http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/154558535219421186

:woop: Come back, gargamel, we require your presence! I'm guessing this will invariably make breaks between old and new terrain as usual but it will probably be entirely worth it. I'm ready to leave our 1.0 worlds behind for more mountainous adventures and hills!

I wonder who that man is. :ohdear:
It's Jens' player skin: http://s3.amazonaws.com/MinecraftSkins/jeb_.png :ms:

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
I have an odd issue that's kinda tough to Google, and it's a Linux one so I'm probably borked, but it's bothering me so I'll throw it up.

Whenever I use a view distance besides Tiny, the game will behave just fine, for approximately 2-3 minutes. Really, I can use the farthest view distance and, while FPS takes a hit, the game is playable (playable enough given the advantage of increased view distance, anyways). However, even on the second smallest view distance, after a couple minutes, the game drops to <1 FPS. It's extremely reproducible; every time I need to see something (like, say, the sun), I'll increase the view distance and then go somewhere safe. The game will then turn into molasses, even if I change the view distance back to Tiny, so I restart (after changing back to Tiny) and the game is fine.

At first, I figured it was just some kind of performance issue, because the computer's kinda old, and a laptop, and all that jazz. However, I can use Normal view distance just fine on Windows, and on Linux (currently using latest Xubuntu) I can get 50+ FPS with Optifine on Tiny, yet the game just dies if I so much as start the game on the next highest view distance. It doesn't feel like I should take such a massive hit between the two options, but then, I am dumb.

Is this a weird memory thing that's exaggerated on Linux? Do I need to do something with that -xms or whatever command? Any thoughts?

e: I apparently already have the -xms/-xmx thing going, from one of my prior attempts to fix this. I should probably note I have 1gb of RAM (I think) and have those settings put on 512/768 respectively. I don't really know what a graphics card is so I assume mine is bad/doesn't exist. I don't want this to go into too techy a question, it's just, it's odd that my performance jumps from Street Fighter 2 Alpha responsiveness to <1 fps, just between Tiny and Small.

MrDude fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 4, 2012

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

MrDude posted:

I have an odd issue that's kinda tough to Google, and it's a Linux one so I'm probably borked, but it's bothering me so I'll throw it up.

Whenever I use a view distance besides Tiny, the game will behave just fine, for approximately 2-3 minutes. Really, I can use the farthest view distance and, while FPS takes a hit, the game is playable (playable enough given the advantage of increased view distance, anyways). However, even on the second smallest view distance, after a couple minutes, the game drops to <1 FPS. It's extremely reproducible; every time I need to see something (like, say, the sun), I'll increase the view distance and then go somewhere safe. The game will then turn into molasses, even if I change the view distance back to Tiny, so I restart (after changing back to Tiny) and the game is fine.

At first, I figured it was just some kind of performance issue, because the computer's kinda old, and a laptop, and all that jazz. However, I can use Normal view distance just fine on Windows, and on Linux (currently using latest Xubuntu) I can get 50+ FPS with Optifine on Tiny, yet the game just dies if I so much as start the game on the next highest view distance. It doesn't feel like I should take such a massive hit between the two options, but then, I am dumb.

Is this a weird memory thing that's exaggerated on Linux? Do I need to do something with that -xms or whatever command? Any thoughts?

e: I apparently already have the -xms/-xmx thing going, from one of my prior attempts to fix this. I should probably note I have 1gb of RAM (I think) and have those settings put on 512/768 respectively. I don't really know what a graphics card is so I assume mine is bad/doesn't exist. I don't want this to go into too techy a question, it's just, it's odd that my performance jumps from Street Fighter 2 Alpha responsiveness to <1 fps, just between Tiny and Small.

Hey, maybe your onboard memory on your gfx card runs out when it tries to send up all these new shiny vertices and what not and it will start to try and use your normal ram and then the drivers or what not are bad for that on your flavour of linux and bangbangboom. I have no clue but it could be *anything*, my advice as stupid it might seem is to get a better computer :S

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
From Notch's blog:

Top Ten Movies of 2011 posted:

No, just kidding. Instead, I will ramble about working in teams.

Some people have asked me why we don’t hire a lot more programmers to work on Minecraft. The answer is that I think that would be an incredibly bad thing to do.. or at least that it WOULD have been an incredibly bad thing to do. One reason why Minecraft has managed to get as much personality as it does it that it’s only been a couple of fairly nerdy game developers working on it.

At first, it was just me, and the game really represented what I thought was fun. Later on, Jens joined in and added his own personality to the game in a way that fit really well with what I had done. Naturally, we took in a lot of external input (especially from players, thank you all so much!), but the end result was still filtered through us, making sure it was personal.

I guess in some sense, this is a big reason of why I like “indie games”. Or games made by small teams, rather. I’m growing more wary of using the term “indie games”, as there are too many definitions of what that means… to me it means a game made for the sake of exploring some game idea, made by a small team that wants to express themselves.. But I digress..

On one hand, I could see how Minecraft has at this point grown to a level where it could use some extra hands to work on it. There’s a lot of infrastructure that needs to be done, and a lot of the tone for the game is already set. On the other, I worry that having too many developers on it could water it down. On the third, it could also mean less “quirks” (bugs).. on the fourth, some of these quirks are what give the game a personality. Score: &e0. And so on.

I could argue back and forth forever, but what I really want to do as a developer, is to work on games in tiny, tiny teams. It means less compromise when it comes to design. It means more freedom when it comes to implementation.

At the moment, I am working on a bigger version of my Ludum Dare 22 entry, because I really liked working in that code base. In the relatively near future, I expect to start work on a new, bigger game. I will be the only programmer on that game until the game mechanics are fleshed out and the tone is set. I do feel an enormous pressure to live up to the Minecraft legacy, but I will try not to let that hold me back. I will keep focusing on just making games I want to play.

Happy new year, Internet!

God damnit Notch

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh
tldr: I don't wanna hire a bunch of programmers who'll make me look stupid.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Ah yes, bugs are what give the game personality. I know that when I am watching the game poo poo itself and die because of some poorly-implemented code, I am really watching its quirky sense of precocious rapscallionry that makes it such a charming littgently caress YOU NOTCH

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I hope Notch realizes when people say "its not a bug its a feature" it is meant to be a joke, and not meant to be taken seriously.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Eox posted:

From Notch's blog:

God damnit Notch

That seals it, he's a loving moron.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Wow, even Toady One knows that bugs in Dwarf Fortress are bugs and not quirks. I mean, come on.

:notch:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

They're not bugs, it's just indie charm :rolleyes:

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I now regret ever defending him at all, even in the instances when what was being said against him was false.

edit: Seriously, the level of the "my poo poo don't stink" mentality that one would have to adopt to even begin to think that way makes his "island of egos" comment offensively hypocritical.

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 5, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Hahaha. How is it possible to have so little self-awareness?

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Have you seen the man's teeth, I doubt he's even looked in a mirror before.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Thank you notch. Thank you for saying and believing things far more entertaining than your lovely sandbox game will ever be.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
It's also nice how he didn't credit any of the modmakers they borrowed code from. :)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Translation: If we hire more programmers I'll have a slightly smaller swimming pool of money to swim around in.

When a game gets as big as Minecraft it really needs a team of people working on it.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Christ. Only a man high on his own farts could write something like that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Willie Trombone posted:

I now regret ever defending him at all, even in the instances when what was being said against him was false.
Same.

I used to stand up for the guy regularly (and evidently obnoxiously enough to get people to buy hate-avatars for me) but there's a limit.
I defended his update schedule and his haphazard approach to the various features because I thought, perhaps too naively, that someday it would all just come together. I didn't mind that the Nether was basically empty or strongholds were pointless or the biomes were shallow or portals didn't line up for no good reason (okay I did sort of mind that one) because I just figured someday he'd get back to all those things and flesh them out like he said he would. But it hasn't happened yet. Maybe someday in the distant future. And I do have more hope of it with Jens at the wheel, but I'm not holding my breath anymore.
And goddamn, it's a shallow thing to judge the product on, but in the last few months Notch has just gone from amusingly odd to loving crazy. The guy's self-importance is matched by his schizophrenic and delusional approach to his own work.

The best possible thing that could have happened to Minecraft would have been being bought out by Valve.
The best possible thing that could happen to it now is supported modding, so mods can be more fully and comprehensively integrated (and with fewer conflicts), and best of all, without having to be manually updated every single time the vanilla game patches.
I'm still hoping some big studio (or hell anyone really) takes their own shot at the genre and gives us something that's built on Minecraft but blows it out of the water.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Minecraft definitely taught me a lesson about paying money now based on where development might go in the future. The game changed very little between the time I paid for it and now.

I don't really know how I got taken in considering I haven't pre-ordered a game since Doom 2.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Well I don't regret buying it. Minecraft is easily one of my most played games of all time. Only a handful of titles like Daggerfall beat it out for sheer hours played, so all in all, I'm pretty happy when I look at it for what it is, not what I wanted it to be.

I just wish it would have been even better.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Vib Rib posted:

Well I don't regret buying it. Minecraft is easily one of my most played games of all time. Only a handful of titles like Daggerfall beat it out for sheer hours played, so all in all, I'm pretty happy when I look at it for what it is, not what I wanted it to be.

I just wish it would have been even better.

Yeah I've easily EASILY gotten my money out of minecraft with hundred of hours played but the potential it has is huge, but notch is just loving it up.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Buggy freeware games can be charming and buggy but are ultimately forgettable. I've worked on many vanity projects in my life which eventually unraveled themselves because I couldn't decide on a final destination. And no one cared so it didn't matter. If I had amassed millions of dollars I probably would have picked a path--regardless of my own self-indulgent whims--and just took it somewhere. Or, you know, put my ego aside and let others sweat it while I swim in my sea of money.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Also, he's fat.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Yes, a new player seeing "Score: &e0" will certainly think "well gosh darn ain't this game full of personality," and not "did I seriously drop $30 just to see this bullshit?"

Jesus, Notch, shut the gently caress up and get a PR person already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Notch, shut the gently caress up and make your game actually worth :10bux::10bux::10bux: instead of making it your personal fantasy RPG. Which is basically just a braindead version of Skyrim anyway.

If the non-Legos part of Minecraft were half as good as Skyrim I'd be more willing to pay that.