Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
So let me run this by you good folks. I'm SL 121, with 127 equipment burden (with havel's). Right now I have equipped:

Black Knight Great Axe +5
Eagle Shield +10
Stone Helm
Black Knight Armor
Stone Gauntlets
Stone Leggings
Havel's Ring/Darkwood Grain Ring

I was going for under 50% while still maintaining a high poise (right now it's at 82). I think I'm only like 0.6 away from going over 50%, but was wondering if there's any better armor you all might recommend. Like something that doesn't require twinkling titanite to upgrade. Although, I'm staying at SL 121 for pvp and stuff so I can spend all my souls on twinkling titanite to upgrade armor and it won't really effect anything too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Total newbie here, never played Demon Souls either. I started as a Cleric for the sweet sweet heals, and though the game started me with a Heal spell, I don't seem to have the talisman and can't cast the heal. What am I missing?

vvv Awesome, I was hoping that was it and I wasn't just ultra stupid. Whole reason I ended up Cleric is because my first Pyromancer couldn't cast fireballs either :downs:

vvv Edit 2, gently caress that first huge guy you're supposed to run from. I smugly charged in planning to use my sweet Skyrim skills to bust him up good...yeah HA

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 4, 2012

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You get your talisman later in the tutorial.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I just started as well, it feels like it anyway. I've got around 10 hours in. It took me like 20 tries to kill the Taurus Demon, but then I just rolled through dudes after that. The first time I got to this big scepter wielding motherfucker in a church (I don't remember the name, there was a magic dude shooting at me in the same room) I got him on the first go. I felt like a badass. Didn't stop me from getting killed because I didn't check a corner, though.

Any way, addicted.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Finally picked this up with Christmas money. Don't know why it took me so long, I was even one of those suckers who imported Demons Souls back when we all knew that they would never localize a game this awesome. It's like coming home again, except everybody at home hates you and beats you up.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

whaley posted:

So let me run this by you good folks. I'm SL 121, with 127 equipment burden (with havel's). Right now I have equipped:

Black Knight Great Axe +5
Eagle Shield +10
Stone Helm
Black Knight Armor
Stone Gauntlets
Stone Leggings
Havel's Ring/Darkwood Grain Ring

I was going for under 50% while still maintaining a high poise (right now it's at 82). I think I'm only like 0.6 away from going over 50%, but was wondering if there's any better armor you all might recommend. Like something that doesn't require twinkling titanite to upgrade. Although, I'm staying at SL 121 for pvp and stuff so I can spend all my souls on twinkling titanite to upgrade armor and it won't really effect anything too much.

Drop Stone Helm and use Mask of the Child. Yes, you lose poise and armor, but gain increased stamina recovery.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Holy poo poo literally the first skeleton with a sword killed me twice, then the pair of them right after killed me three more times. My poor fragile ego.

What a great game already, why'd I wait so long to play it :v:

Edit - JESUS the first boss. Goodbye all my carefully farmed 1200 souls

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 4, 2012

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Edit - JESUS the first boss. Goodbye all my carefully farmed 1200 souls

That's not even a single enemy later, and that point will come even faster if you have patch 1.05. Don't worry about farming. If you must, at least wait until you have access to a certain area which requires a 20,000 soul key. Even then farming is pretty unnecessary.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Given the difficulty of the game and the fact that you need to become human to kindle/summon help for bosses, I think invasions are possibly the dumbest feature. But in my limited experience with them I think your best shot is to assume that you'll lose in a direct fight, so instead just go to a cliff or something and try to douche the other guy into falling off. Anywhere else is just telestab hell.

I keep hearing this kind of stuff (issues of network performance). Are you guys on the 360 or something? I've never, ever had an issue with lag in either invades or games I've joined, so I'm confused. If it's laggy as hell or something, that I can understand, but it's such a core part of the game's "ohshitohshitohshit" factor (and is entirely mitigated by just being hollowed) that I can't imagine not having it as part of the whole Souls experience.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

SamBishop posted:

I keep hearing this kind of stuff (issues of network performance). Are you guys on the 360 or something? I've never, ever had an issue with lag in either invades or games I've joined, so I'm confused. If it's laggy as hell or something, that I can understand, but it's such a core part of the game's "ohshitohshitohshit" factor (and is entirely mitigated by just being hollowed) that I can't imagine not having it as part of the whole Souls experience.

If you have never experienced repeated telestab death, you must only play at prime time.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Farming might've been the wrong word, I was just repeatedly killing the first 4 skellies outside the Asylum Demon entry trying to get used to the game. Took me 1200 souls worth of practice to make it through them without losing half my life hahah. Asylum Demon dropped me the first 2 times but I got his rear end without getting hit at all the 3rd. This game is so loving awesome already.

I'd be getting frustrated, but it seems like everything in the game so far isn't bullshit, if I get hit, it's from me screwing up somewhere. Does it stay like that all the way through?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

I'd be getting frustrated, but it seems like everything in the game so far isn't bullshit, if I get hit, it's from me screwing up somewhere. Does it stay like that all the way through?

Absolutely. There are videos of (mostly Japanese) players beating NG+++++ and further bosses at SL 1. I think the record speed run without any exploits is 1h20m (~35m with one was the fastest I could find), for what that's worth as far as "skill > anything" goes.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Oh god I am in love with Darkwraithing. I am completely terrible but it is so much fun.

e: just got my first victory because the host, who I never saw, walked off a cliff. Awesome.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Chard posted:

Oh god I am in love with Darkwraithing. I am completely terrible but it is so much fun.

e: just got my first victory because the host, who I never saw, walked off a cliff. Awesome.

Solaire would be very displeased with you. :(

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you want to find a couple fun to watch runs and have a NicoNico account, search for 'RTA' - real time attack. It's really good stuff. Hell, most RTA vids are good, but the Souls ones are especially fun. Just wiki the game if you need the katakana for the title.

Apparently there was just some kind of 60-hour Dark Souls relay thing going on? Something on the main page linking to one of the live broadcast streams, anyway.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Yes, it does. There are a very few areas where skill counts for less than luck - Bed of Chaos I'm looking at you - but the vast majority of deaths will be like you said, from you screwing up.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Solaire would be very displeased with you. :(

Haha, I'm alternating between assisting against Seath and Darkwraithing people trying to get to him. It's a blast.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

If you want to find a couple fun to watch runs and have a NicoNico account, search for 'RTA' - real time attack.

In case that isn't clear, Nico Video accounts are free and don't require anything special, just Google Translate it to understand what each field is.

Also I didn't know that's what RTA stood for. The more you know.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I am tempted to watch those now but don't want to spoil the game. Back to celebrating my Demon kill via getting kicked in the dick over and over by trash mobs

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GodIsInTheTrees posted:

Because the system requires so much precision that it forces you to notice every single little nuance of it, you're going to find a lot of little things that bug you, but on the whole it really is entirely up to you and you don't have to exploit glitches or anything for it to be possible to win at low levels, unlike many games.

The main small irritating thing that comes to mind for me is that if you press attack twice before you fully swing and the first hit is blocked, whether you want to or not, you'll start trying to swing a second time and inevitably get hit. Still, this is mitigated by just timing your swings individually as you see them connect--Again, it's about conforming to the game, not the other way around.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

"You were indicted."

Music to my glowing red ears.

e: Ever invade the same person three times in a row :psyduck:? I'm 2 and 1 with some dude kikentai atm.

Chard fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 4, 2012

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003

Chard posted:

Haha, I'm alternating between assisting against Seath and Darkwraithing people trying to get to him. It's a blast.

Well if you invade me tonight or tomorrow I assume you will do the honorable thing and have a gesture war with me, walk off some crystals to your death, and slap down a summon sign so you can help me with Seath.

I just found Seath too... Some butthole put a "Bonfire ahead" sign on the ground right before him and I thought "That's exactly what I need right now! Praise the sun, etc." and went running right in. Of course things seemed a bit off so I was already cautiously scared pissless and had a homeward bone at the ready.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Eric O Face posted:

I just found Seath too... Some butthole put a "Bonfire ahead" sign on the ground right before him and I thought "That's exactly what I need right now! Praise the sun, etc." and went running right in. Of course things seemed a bit off so I was already cautiously scared pissless and had a homeward bone at the ready.

There's a bonfire on a balcony in the large room before the one with the stairs leading outside. Also after you kill Seath there is technically a bonfire there. Dark Souls dickery. :v:

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003
That's the bonfire I was using but without any good long-range attacks those butterflies hosed me up pretty good. And I love seeing half-tricky notes like that. As soon as Seath came swooping in, I knew what he did there...
I hatelove this game.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Eric O Face posted:

That's the bonfire I was using but without any good long-range attacks, those butterflies hosed me up pretty good. And I love seeing half-tricky notes like that. As soon as Seath came swooping in, I knew what he did there...
I hatelove this game.

The butterflies are completely optional and if you do happen to aggro one you can just run out of their range. Also, every encounter after the first you can skip the enemies before Seath as there will be a fog gate blocking them from entering the arena.

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003

Umberger posted:

The butterflies are completely optional and if you do happen to aggro one you can just run out of their range. Also, every encounter after the first you can skip the enemies before Seath as there will be a fog gate blocking them from entering the arena.

As is always the case with Dark Souls, I understood the risk and got cocky. I ran up and stabbed the first butterfly in the face because it's a freaking butterfly... What's it going to do? It flew out of my range and I took a decent amount of damage before figuring out that it wasn't coming back into my range. I forget how I got the attention of the next one, but it was surely on account of me being an idiot. It just so happened that this butterfly was hovering directly above the next crystal ledge I went to... which also had a golem thing on it.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Where do people put down summon signs for Seath? I have never seen a single one in the Crystal Caves.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Pickled Kittens posted:

If you have never experienced repeated telestab death, you must only play at prime time.

I play at really weird times, but it might be that I'm on the west coast or something. If I'm up at, say, midnight, then it's already the morning over in Europe and the afternoon in Japan, so I guess that makes sense. But nope, any bouts I've had have been surprisingly lag-free -- to the point where I just assumed that was normal. That's a shame that I'm sort of the odd man out when it comes to that stuff.

[edit]

Umberger posted:

Absolutely. There are videos of (mostly Japanese) players beating NG+++++ and further bosses at SL 1. I think the record speed run without any exploits is 1h20m (~35m with one was the fastest I could find), for what that's worth as far as "skill > anything" goes.

That absolutely blows my mind. For this entire generation, Japanese devs have been trying to find something that would appeal to Western audiences (remember Quantum Theory?) and we get not one, but two games that allow the super-hardcore folks that do those incredible speedruns in Japan to do their thing while still entertaining the rest of the world. This is proof positive, though, that all you really need to do is stick to your guns. If the concept is sound, it'll work everywhere, and trying to cater to a demographic will only dilute what makes the game so good in the first place.

I love that despite the seeming Western fantasy backdrop, this is an innately Japanese game. The difficulty curve, the style of the gameplay, all that stuff would never, ever happen here. Granted, the King's Field games have been doing this for ages, but as someone who had to do PR for some of the PS one KF games, I really do feel like this is From's opus, and had they not stuck to their guns in terms of pacing and setting, I don't think this game would have taken off like it did. I think we all recognize the integrity of this game; it wasn't focused grouped into becoming easier, it never incorporated stuff like letting you pause, it just was what it was, and I think that's a huge part of why I love it.

Also, why I love watching people absolutely beat it to a pulp because it is something I'll never do. Oh Japanese players, how I love your knack for destroying games.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 4, 2012

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Carl Seitan posted:

Where do people put down summon signs for Seath? I have never seen a single one in the Crystal Caves.

I usually had tons o' luck at the bonfire on the balcony before the Crystal Golem area.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I just had my first true Jolly Cooperation from a Sunbro. A really awesome dude whose handle was Jiro_Tatsu just helped me through pretty much the entirety of Anor Londo, from the first gate all the way to the boss of the area. He even left when we reached a bonfire so I could light it, then put his sign down again, right where he left so I knew I could summon him again. :3:

Dude even threw things at mimics so I could safely loot them! He truly was a Sunbro amongst Sunbros. If he wasn't a Japanese player from look of his id, I would send him a thank you message over PSN.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Carl Seitan posted:

Exclusively at the bonfire before leaving the Archives proper. I'm there right now, SL91.

e: GarlicDalek, PS3

e2: Ugh don't go on the crooked path if you've got two phantoms with you, whoever that was. Dumb rear end.
e^3 gently caress you HazMatt99 don't do it TWICE IN A ROW ughh~

Chard fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 4, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta ask, is anyone planning a nice, comprehensive Dark Souls LP 'round here? The one for Demon's was so good. As much as I like watching the crazy Japanese players tear the game apart, someone showing off cool tricks and all the hidden poo poo scattered around would be pretty rad. Plus Nico Video tends to load real, real slow at certain hours. Dunno if any non-annoying people on Youtube are playing the game.

Comedy option is to watch DSP fail at the game and laugh at that, I guess. Apparently he never blocks anything? Probably wonders why he dies alot. Seems to be his shtick.

Now that I'm finally over my Xmas/New Year's plague, I can get back to work on my own save. Gonna kill that Capra Demon before the next vernal equinox, I swear. He doesn't even seem that hard, it's just the area's small and I wasn't expecting two dogs and a big guy to rush me in such a tiny space! Went ahead and checked some videos on how to best tackle it... and then my curiosity got the better of me and I looked ahead. Want to fight the Gaping Dragon at once! How is that thing a dragon?!

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Overlord K posted:

I just had my first true Jolly Cooperation from a Sunbro. A really awesome dude whose handle was Jiro_Tatsu just helped me through pretty much the entirety of Anor Londo, from the first gate all the way to the boss of the area. He even left when we reached a bonfire so I could light it, then put his sign down again, right where he left so I knew I could summon him again. :3:

Dude even threw things at mimics so I could safely loot them! He truly was a Sunbro amongst Sunbros. If he wasn't a Japanese player from look of his id, I would send him a thank you message over PSN.

I can't wait until I can join you guys. I need to just grind to level up my Faith a little more, since I'm too high level to easily join up right now, but once I do, I look forward to good ol' co-oppin' fun.

You should definitely send him a message, though. Plenty of Japanese folks can read English (at least a hell of a lot more than we can read kanja or kana), and I'd consider it something of an honor to get a message from someone in another language if I'd had a great time playing with them. I'd pass things through Google Translate or whatever if needed just to find out what they said.

[edit]

ChibiSoma posted:

Gonna kill that Capra Demon before the next vernal equinox, I swear. He doesn't even seem that hard, it's just the area's small and I wasn't expecting two dogs and a big guy to rush me in such a tiny space!

That guy gave me so much trouble for so long because you get bum rushed by those goddamn dogs and his initial attack can end up stunlocking you as you try to fight off the mutts and get pushed into a corner. I don't know what level you're at, but if you can make it (and I know this is a crazy stretch, but it's actually how I initially did it), head out from the bonfire in the Undead Parish near the blacksmith, past the Titanite rear end in a top hat, through the Darkroot Garden, down in to the Darkroot Basin, through the tunnel with the bonfire there, past all the drakes in the Valley of the Drakes, and into Blighttown. If you can just get that damned Eagle Shield, you can block drat near anything and it will probably last you the entire game.

Of course, someone now is probably going to offer far better advice, but I still can't believe that's how I found Blighttown. There's a key just past the three Ogres that will let you unlock the gate into a tower that leads to the New Londo Ruins, and from there it's a super short trip up to the Firelink Shrine, but man... I really only explored the Depths on this run, and I think I was in my 50s or 60s when I fought the Gaping Dragon, so it was more just the terror of what he looked like than the challenge.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 4, 2012

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

^^^ You can do what Sam said and get the Eagle Shield, but that's a lot of running. I'd say take your highest stability shield and a weapon that can one-shot the dogs. Make a dash for the stairs to the left and kill the dogs before Capra can get to you. From there, just be sure to block everything one-handed and avoid everything two-handed.

Is there any point at all going to Darkwraith+3? I have enough humanity, I think, but I like having it. It's mine. My... precious....

Chard fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 4, 2012

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
So what's a good way to kill the Butterflies in the Crystal Caves? Just shoot them with bows?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Chard posted:

Is there any point at all going to Darkwraith+3? I have enough humanity, I think, but I like having it. It's mine. My... precious....

Nope. The last rewards are at +2 (being the sword and armor set).

L-O-N posted:

So what's a good way to kill the Butterflies in the Crystal Caves? Just shoot them with bows?

Bows, sorceries, miracles, whatever. There's no way to melee them as far as I can tell, but Moonlight Butterfly is weak to lightning. Maybe they are too?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Umberger posted:

Nope. The last rewards are at +2 (being the sword and armor set).

Thought so, but I thought I'd check before picking up the flip ring. I eventually plan to Sunbro in full Darkwraith getup, including handshield.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

SamBishop posted:

You should definitely send him a message, though. Plenty of Japanese folks can read English (at least a hell of a lot more than we can read kanja or kana), and I'd consider it something of an honor to get a message from someone in another language if I'd had a great time playing with them. I'd pass things through Google Translate or whatever if needed just to find out what they said.

I ended up sending him a simple thank you message after that actually! I figured it would be nice. I added on a "Praise the sun!" to it for good measure. :)

While I'm standing here staring at them, and since I've kind of developed a focus on spears on this character... Which is the better choice in general, the Moonlight Butterfly Horn, or the Dragonslayer Spear? I'm already using the Lightning Spear I found in Sen's, so I can't imagine the Dragonslayer would be an upgrade somehow, right? It looks weaker from what I can see here...

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

Gotta ask, is anyone planning a nice, comprehensive Dark Souls LP 'round here? The one for Demon's was so good. As much as I like watching the crazy Japanese players tear the game apart, someone showing off cool tricks and all the hidden poo poo scattered around would be pretty rad. Plus Nico Video tends to load real, real slow at certain hours. Dunno if any non-annoying people on Youtube are playing the game.

Comedy option is to watch DSP fail at the game and laugh at that, I guess. Apparently he never blocks anything? Probably wonders why he dies alot. Seems to be his shtick.

Now that I'm finally over my Xmas/New Year's plague, I can get back to work on my own save. Gonna kill that Capra Demon before the next vernal equinox, I swear. He doesn't even seem that hard, it's just the area's small and I wasn't expecting two dogs and a big guy to rush me in such a tiny space! Went ahead and checked some videos on how to best tackle it... and then my curiosity got the better of me and I looked ahead. Want to fight the Gaping Dragon at once! How is that thing a dragon?!

I've been thinking about trying a Let's Play of the game for a while. I've obsessed with the game for the past three months, so I might as well put that knowledge to use. I just got my graphics card fixed and I have a solid month before next semester starts for me, but I'm a big stupid when it comes to capture cards and mics, so I don't know where to start looking for hardware that doesn't create things that look or hear like poo poo. Any suggestions or threads I could check out would be immensely helpful.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Jetpack Postman posted:

I've been thinking about trying a Let's Play of the game for a while. I've obsessed with the game for the past three months, so I might as well put that knowledge to use. I just got my graphics card fixed and I have a solid month before next semester starts for me, but I'm a big stupid when it comes to capture cards and mics, so I don't know where to start looking for hardware that doesn't create things that look or hear like poo poo. Any suggestions or threads I could check out would be immensely helpful.

Check out this sticky in the LP subforum for tech related help. I'd be interested in a LP of Dark Souls provided it was interesting and entertaining enough.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Trying to avoid too many spoilers, so apologies if this was answered in the thread already.

What soul level should I be for Gargoyles? I can get the first one down to a sliver of health with gold resin, but the second one just seems to chain lock me down with his fire breath. I have the Dragon Scale shield, but that doesn't seem to be helping much against the fire.

I'm currently Soul Level 23. Should I just grind more?

• Locked thread