Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Throatwarbler posted:

Sorry to interrupt the Mustang chat, but Toyota put out a new concept Lexus coupe i.e. new Lexus SC just now.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/12/2012-detroit-auto-show-lexus-unveils-sport-coupe-concept.html

Maybe I don't have the scale right and it's actually bigger, but doesn't it look like it could share some underpinnings with the FT-86?
About time they made a new SC. The current one has been around for ages and I never found it good looking at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Hope it doesn't end up like the old ones where you could only get a manual transmission on the small engine, and then later automatic only.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
Been driving the car in GT5 a lot. Absolutely love it. It doesn't have the most horsepower, but it just handles so well you never want to stop driving.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I drove my 944 a shitload today and I got a real appreciation of driving a car well as the way toward enjoying it.

It was kinda warm, and my snow tires were very low grip, so taking some of the turns in the tunnels around Boston revealed how good the balance is. Having so little power means I get to heel-toe going into any significant turn or traffic change. But all of it gives me so many chances to actually use my driving skills. Compare to the C5, where I can be in 4th or 5th gear going from light to light, and whose mechanical grip means I'm never even close to the limit when driving sanely.

When driving the 944 this way, everything comes together in a flash of enlightenment. If the 86 is like that, it's gonna be a lot of fun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

When driving the 944 this way, everything comes together in a flash of enlightenment. If the 86 is like that, it's gonna be a lot of fun.

Well if it drives similar to a Miata like some of the test drivers have mentioned it will be perfect basically. The Miata coupe we've always wanted but never got is finally on the market :)

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

This image illustrates how much of the headlight the BRZ front clip covers, and I think it looks a lot better than having the inward point fully exposed like on the Toyota. I do hate that big-rear end black plastic chunk on the front of the BRZ but since I live in a province that does not require a front plate, an option would be to swap out that whole grill for something less gross, while on the GT I'd have to either have to live with the holes, patch them or get a new front clip with no holes in it. I also like the shape of the BRZ's mouth better.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They have different headlight units?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cakefool posted:

They have different headlight units?

I would suspect that the Scion won't have HIDs, at least not in the lower configurations, that could cause them to use different headlight housings.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

You Am I posted:

About time they made a new SC. The current one has been around for ages and I never found it good looking at all.

Its already gone, production ended in 2010 (it lasted 10 years, just like the original SC)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This didn't take long:

quote:

Sounds good, but will it get more power? That’s been the No. 1 followup question since long before joint Toyota/Subaru effort that became the U.S. bound 2013 Scion FR-S (and its Subaru BRZ twin) rear drive sports coupe ever saw the light of day.

Reading the tea leaves after our recent drives of the FR-S and BRZ, it’s all but certain that the Subaru-derived 200-horsepower 2.0-liter four-cylinder 4U-GSE boxer will eventually be boosted to deliver more horses, but when?

If the FR-S prototype that our very own Web production manager Kirill Ougarov recently spotted at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is any indication, it looks like it won’t be long. Ougarov, who shot the photos and video, indicated that the white car was 'definitely' turbocharged -- turn up the sound as it drifts briefly around the corner and you’ll likely agree.

Speaking of drifting, given that both the white-winged car and the car behind it were FR-S models, it stands to reason that this could be the Scion drift team getting in some testing before the 2012 season. Scion is heavy into drifting and has campaigned a tC modified to rear drive specifically for the team.

It’s an absolute no brainer for the FR-S to take over as the Scion drift team star, but it stands to reason that in order to really get its drift on, the FR-S would need more power.

Whatever the reason for its presence at Mazda Raceway, the FR-S turbo sighting is good news for drift fans and all those who already can’t wait for a higher spec version of the FR-S. Given that the base FR-S and BRZ won’t be on sale in base form until mid-year, we wouldn't expect any turbocharged production model until close to the end of 2012.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

i have a feeling its just a swapped EJ25 or whatever, but if more info comes out to prove me wrong it may make me hold off on buying one.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Laserface posted:

i have a feeling its just a swapped EJ25 or whatever, but if more info comes out to prove me wrong it may make me hold off on buying one.

Yeah, considering what Scion did with the "tC" drift cars you're probably right, but still warranted posting I think since it means you can fit a turbo in there somehow. Perhaps a TRD turbo kit, similar to the s/c kits they sell?

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 4, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This didn't take long:

yeah that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

bull3964 posted:

I would suspect that the Scion won't have HIDs, at least not in the lower configurations, that could cause them to use different headlight housings.

Sorry, I hasn't to say that in the two pictures posted, the two cars have different headlight units, rather than one car has the lights partially covered. That would be dangerous (heat buildup) & a bit dumb.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Yeah, considering what Scion did with the "tC" drift cars you're probably right, but still warranted posting I think since it means you can fit a turbo in there somehow. Perhaps a TRD turbo kit, similar to the s/c kits they sell?

Has TRD ever made a turbo kit? I only ever recall seeing supercharger ones

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brigdh posted:

Has TRD ever made a turbo kit? I only ever recall seeing supercharger ones

I have a dim recollection of their being a TRD turbo kit for the 2ZZ-equppied cars (MR2 Spyder, Corolla Sportivo and such), but that was a while ago obviously, and may have been a local TRD Australia thing as I think it was sold through the outfit that did Toyota's rally team here.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

jamal posted:

The guy who took the pictures is a moron or something.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

D C posted:

Our very own redscare, right?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I have a dim recollection of their being a TRD turbo kit for the 2ZZ-equppied cars (MR2 Spyder, Corolla Sportivo and such), but that was a while ago obviously, and may have been a local TRD Australia thing as I think it was sold through the outfit that did Toyota's rally team here.

Europe had a 2zz turbokit made by TTE, but it looks like they dont sell parts anymore.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jamal posted:

you can hear a turbo fluttering (no bov) in the video?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Laserface posted:

you can hear a turbo fluttering (no bov) in the video?

It sounds like more tire noise than a turbo to me.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

D C posted:

Fat and a jerk too.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It sounds like more tire noise than a turbo to me.

Sounds like the mating call of a African Red Sparrow that happens to chirp when the driver lifts off throttle to me.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

jamal posted:

D C posted:

Muffinpox posted:

Fat and a jerk too.

I hate you all.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Surging Santorum posted:

I hate you all.

I never got a thank you note for the nice book I sent you :mad:

Although I should get IOwnCalculus a copy too, look at him thinking that is all just tire squeal.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 4, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
r

2ndclasscitizen posted:

MR-S Spyder didn't have a 2ZZ because Toyota's definition of a sports car was front wheel drive.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Phone posted:

r

MR-S Spyder didn't have a 2ZZ because Toyota's definition of a sports car was front wheel drive.

I don't think they thought it was a sports car but they just didn't really want to sell the MR-S.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Top Gear UK magazine has a review of the BRZ. scans/more: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3128

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
I just crashed my car and I was considering getting a beater and holding out for a year and then buy this... but then realize the weight/power ratio on the Evo is still dramatically lower than this and AWD and I just cannot be excited about it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Maybe less power would keep you from crashing :laugh:.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Fuuuuuck, the more I read about this the more I want one. The St. Louis Auto Show is coming up and I can't wait to hopefully be able to sit inside one. Right now I'm partial to the Subaru version.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
here's that car redscare saw at seca:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

jamal posted:

here's that car redscare saw at seca:

Apparently they used my video in the press conference presentation, which is pretty awesome.

Special thanks to sndgeek for taking some of those photos.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Are people putting dive planes on their street cars now?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Are people putting dive planes on their street cars now?

I wouldn't exactly call something with a full cage a street car, but I've seen them on some aftermarket bodykits before.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
oh no, aero parts on a car?! :psyduck:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Muffinpox posted:

I wouldn't exactly call something with a full cage a street car, but I've seen them on some aftermarket bodykits before.
Yeah I don't think this is a street car :downs:
http://www.windingroad.com/articles/news/detroit-2012-scion-racing-and-greddy-fr-s-drift-car/

quote:

Detroit – January 9, 2012 – Scion today unveiled its Scion Racing/GReddy FR-S race car during a press conference at the 2012 North American International Auto Show. The FR-S will be competing in the 2012 Formula DRIFT series with veteran driver Ken Gushi behind the wheel.

The 600-horsepower FR-S race car is the result of a collaboration between Scion Racing and GReddy, a performance-products company that has been involved with Toyota and racing for over twenty years.

The race car is inspired by the 2013 Scion FR-S, a compact rear-wheel-drive sports car that will go on sale in the spring of 2012. The high-performance coupe is the fifth model to join the Scion family.

Ingraman
Jul 6, 2005
Arrogant bastard
It looks so much better without those awkward fog lights.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Anyone else sign up for product updates for the Scion FR-S? Apparently Toyota/Scion is try to pump up hype for the FR-S by offering 86 of the model for sale on Thursday for 8 hours and 6 minutes. Slick marketing or 86 poor suckers?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
86 totaled vehicles, resulting in 86 warranty claims for "unintended acceleration"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
86 future posts for the "stupid poo poo" and "craigslist" threads

• Locked thread