Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SlothfulCobra posted:

The reason I called punishing failure with death "the bad-guy thing" is because I have literally never seen or heard of that except for in movies and books when they want to show off just how mustache-twirlingly evil the bad guy is supposed to be. :moreevil: Not the sort of thing I'd expect from a man who used his education to take over a tribe, mold it to his whims, and went on to develop plans for the future based on grandiose dreams of emulating a long-dead civilization.

Just google "Decimation". You can find forms of it all the way up to World War 2, with the Soviets. You seem to think that brutality and education are mutually exclusive.

quote:

The level of bloodlust implied in the crazy deathcount that the Legion leaves everywhere it goes doesn't seem to me like the sort of thing that makes for good spy material. Hell, abstaining from any drugs doesn't seem like good spy material, since every society drinks; just round up the suspects who abstain from alcohol or stimpacks and you could find spies that way.

A couple of things here: The frumentarii are sort of like the Legion's special forces. The rules applied to the Legion are not the same as those applied to the frumentarii. In order to maintain a believable cover, Caesar's frumentarii were permitted to behave like those around them; an example of this can be found when you speak to Vulpes Inculta in Nipton. He says that Nipton was a town of whores, who served everyone, "including men of the Legion such as myself."

You seem to be accusing Tubgirl of taking examples of mass destruction and assuming it was the mindset of all educated classes up to 1914, while simultaneously thinking that the Legion has one law and it is applied, wholesale, even when it would make no sense. Just like special forces, the type of people recruited for frumentarii are cut from a different cloth than you average frontline soldier. It's why they're running around Vegas in ordinary clothes, rather than dogheads and gym gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, the legion isn't just fascism but some type of primitivist proto-fascism. People have the right to admire what the legion is selling, but I don't think that mentality is actually that rare in at least the present day United States, which is why I find it so creepy.

I mean how people are hoping for the apocalypse (of some type) happening so they can finally become the ultimate road warrior and laugh at everyone else? I see the legion as kind of falling into that type of thinking.

Basically, in order to really turn against the NCR you probably need to have sincere problems with pluralism and modern conceptions of rights, since in all material and practical senses the NCR is doing better. Of course, you could also be a straight primitivism/moralist and think it is better to have an iron age society than one that permits technology/sin.

That said, it is a pity your choice is: a corrupt liberal democracy, ultra-reactionaries/fascists and basically a technocratic-plutocracy that is dis-interested in 90% of the population. I guess every option has to be "bad" in some way, but too bad you couldn't pick some type of communal direct democracy... I guess Yes Man is the closest your going to get.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ardennes posted:

That said, it is a pity your choice is: a corrupt liberal democracy, ultra-reactionaries/fascists and basically a technocratic-plutocracy that is dis-interested in 90% of the population. I guess every option has to be "bad" in some way, but too bad you couldn't pick some type of communal direct democracy... I guess Yes Man is the closest your going to get.

Harold should have shown up inexplicably (again). Bow to the forces of New Oasis! Unite New Vegas' disenfranchised outer districts, and use Clayton Etienne as your sergeant-at-arms in enforcing Co-op law. Steal the secrets from Vault 22 and harness the hydraulic powers of Hoover Dam to terrorize the Mojave with mutant crops!

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Harold should have shown up inexplicably (again). Bow to the forces of New Oasis! Unite New Vegas' disenfranchised outer districts, and use Clayton Etienne as your sergeant-at-arms in enforcing Co-op law. Steal the secrets from Vault 22 and harness the hydraulic powers of Hoover Dam to terrorize the Mojave with mutant crops!

Harold is a tyrant! We can't trust that his "green vision of the Wasteland" isn't just a cult of personality! The jacob trees are his spies and agave fruit is the opiate by which he controls the masses.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Ardennes posted:

Man. Pity? It's actually pretty awesome and a lot better this way. It'd be really horribly lame if you could pick some sort of "communal direct democracy" utopia bullshit. :mad:

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This would unironically be the most awesome thing ever, and I expect some enterprising modder to start on it toot sweet. Those Vault 34 dwellers would then be dying for a glorious cause: restoring water for the first wave of florriors. Call the final quest "Spore Everything You Do" and make Lanius literally eat dirt!

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

In the base game melee is a viable option; in OWB guns aren't. It's a bit different. You really never wind up engaging anything at range because on the overworld map enemies straight-up aren't there until you come in closer, and all the baddies soak up much more damage (and nearly all only drop SECs). Meanwhile the DLC furnishes you with two really crazy powerful melee/unarmed weapons and one pretty decent shortranged energy pistol that stunlocks the enemies you'll spend most of your time fighting.

I drop the difficulty on OWB, DM, and LR, by 2 levels for OWB and 1 for DM and LR. It makes them a lot more enjoyable, and more realistic in my opinion. There's no penalty for doing so, it's just a way of saying "I think enemies have too many/not enough hit points".

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So I just combined Greased Lightning with all the melee perks, slayer included, as well as the modkits from WMX that boost its attack speed and damage.

Holy poo poo. I literally punch as fast as I can click the mouse. It's so hilariously broken. :black101:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dush posted:

Man. Pity? It's actually pretty awesome and a lot better this way. It'd be really horribly lame if you could pick some sort of "communal direct democracy" utopia bullshit. :mad:

I guess, but for some people... the legion is a utopia.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ardennes posted:

I guess, but for some people... the legion is a utopia.

Tellin' ya, man. Utobitha. Been sold on it ever since Best Friend Tabitha explained 'it was either we keep our pet Centaurs or we let humans in. It was a hard decision, but let's face it: Centaurs are adorable.'

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Caufman posted:

Those who are swallowed into Caesar's Legion face a different choice than the courier. The conquered do indeed face a "join us or die" ultimatum. There's not much I say to people stuck in this scenario because it's obvious where a person would turn to, and I don't fault and individual for choosing life as a slave over death. But the courier and so the player faces a totally different choice. Players who support the Legion do so under minimal duress. They can join willingly, or crush the entire Legion. If you've been reading all my posts and haven't picked up on the fact that this is the dilemma I'm interested in engaging and dismantling, the dilemma of why players voluntarily support a fascist regime when every alternative is an improvement, then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not obfuscating my intentions. You seem intent on ignoring them to make your jabs at discussion about games. Yeah, good for you, you logged into SA, clicked the Games forum, opened the New Vegas thread, and have been participating in a discussion. You want a gold star, too?

Pretty condescending bro! But anyway:

quote:

Earlier you mentioned that the Legion we see in the game is just the tip of a spear, and many defenses of the Legion revolve around the idea that if we could visit their territories, we'd see how superior their policies are. I would say the same thing is true about the NCR. The Mojave is NCR's frontier, the very fringe's of its civilization. My understanding is that the core region is economically vibrant and stable and boring (one of the reasons Cass leaves for the Mojave in the first place.) California has enough going for it that it can produce enough goods to sustain Nevada's service-dominated economy. It sends gamblers with disposable income to the Strip. It teaches new generations of scientists and engineers.

This is essentially true, though Cass mentions that even in the heart of NCR territory, you can still get mugged if you don't hire protection. In Legion territory nobody would dare, presumably because within a week that raider's head would be on a pike somewhere.

quote:

If you play your cards right, you can even see Alice McLafferty and the Van Graffs brought to justice without requiring violent vigilantism.

Actually if you complete McLafferty's questline (including stealing the Gun Runners schematics) before you expose them, both the Van Graffs and Crimson Caravan get slaughtered on the return trip to California.

So in the end, it really does boil down to well-organized guys with guns :v:

quote:

Again, I'm not saying the NCR is the best solution for the Mojave, but are they really that much less viable than the fascist alternative? As the Legion presses westwards, they are going to run into the same problems of being stretched too thin to control effectively. The Courier can even convince Lanius that this is true, and he'll run home. I think this was a deliberate part on the writers, to make sure that any solution is at least plausibly viable. I don't think that's where the end-game of this conversation will be. I don't think anyone can conclusively show that one policy is better adapted at surviving the wasteland than the other. As harsh as the post-apocalyptic world is, Fallout can sustain civilization, and a society in California has demonstrated that by building a nation based on personal liberty and representative democracy. Similarly, Caesar's Legion has proven that fascism is also viable by introducing total war to tribals and destroying culture and freedom in favor or homogeneity and single-state worship.

Not that this is really an argument for the Legion per se, but its hinted at in the game that NCR is dying a slow death due to the bloated system-wide bureacracy and corruption that has made it basically unable to function at anything not a snail's pace. Hell, if you have Lonesome Road, Ulysses pretty much spells it out for you point-blank.

(He also says the Legion is gonna die due to entirely different problems, but that's kind of the point. They're both bad, dumb ideas.)

quote:

Ultimately, and I've said this for a while, I think the final conclusion for why players choose the Legion lies in preferences, not survivability. Both Caesar's Legion and the NCR have different paths towards survival, the NCR by employment of resources and the rich economic activity that capitalism provides, the Legion by transforming the individual to cogs in the state machine. This is why I said I'd give total respect to anyone who will come into this thread and say they support the Legion because they just like fascism more than democracies, anarchies, or ostensibly benevolent dictatorships. I respect this opinion because A) it's not popular in the 21st century and B) I ultimately can't argue with preferences. But this conversation will go on so long as people make this point: "The NCR has problems, leaning closer to fascism is the solution." There's just too many holes there. Like your point about Helios One. The NCR is mismanaging its energy allocation, but I don't think the Legion will allow electricity at all. In this specific instance, introducing the Legion will not solve the problem, it will just make it irrelevant.

As for the Motivated Dude problem, most games and certainly every Fallout game implicitly operate on the Margaret Mead idea that a small group of people can change the world. They can stop a mutant revolution, they can prevent widespread genocide, and they can turn back two national armies at a dam. This isn't a problem with democracies, it's a feature of humanity and an important concession in video games to keep them interesting. I like very much the writing in Lonesome Road because after over a decade, finally someone adds something to the Fallout motto. "If war never changes, then people must." This is why I hope people like players of Fallout NV will not voluntarily choose fascism. The causes of war, limited resources and competing ideologies, are not going away, but if people sitting in chairs looking at monitors in presumably democratic countries still think fascism provides solutions, we're going to still need to talk.

I think you're overthinking this here by, like, a LOT. There's several reasons someone would choose the Legion: because 88 individual tribes being forcibly assimilated into wearing old football equipment, speaking faux-Latin and worshipping some prick with a Jersey accent as the Son of Mars is vastly more interesting than 'basically the US government but more limp-wristed.' Because assassinating a president is vastly more interesting than stopping someone else from doing it, gameplay-wise. Because those Praetorian capes are baller as gently caress.

Nobody who is not either very stupid or very insane is literally going "Hmmmm, I think in that situation I would prefer to live under the fascist regime where I'm not allowed to drink, take real medicine and my day consists of being raped constantly/attacking dudes with assault rifles with a point stick." You can still see the 'upside' in terms of long-term regional stability and the ideological war between the two and have fun arguing about it without wanting fascism IRL. Another revelation: you don't have to want to eat people to take the 'Cannibal' perk :ssh:

Ardennes posted:

They already made a game where the white knight good guys triumph over evil...its called Fallout 3 :smug:

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Especially under the pressure of, you know, trying to stay alive in a mutant-ridden wasteland, somebody might choose to join the biggest and meanest person in the room, regardless of that person's ideology.

This reminds me of the ending of Nightfall. If you're not familiar with it, the idea is that there is a planet orbited by five suns, and as a result is bathed in perpetual sunlight. But once every two thousand years, the orbits of the suns align so that the planet is plunged into darkness. The people on the planet, witnessing something that is completely out of their experience, go stark raving mad, and civilization completely collapses in the ensuing chaos and anarchy, a cycle that has repeated every two thousand years for as far back as anyone is able to figure out.

One of the primary antagonists, the "Apostles of the Flame" is a group of religious fanatics in every negative sense of the term. They stand in opposition to the findings of astronomers (who predict Nightfall well before it happens), as they see it as a heresy that attempts to explain through science what they know (through interpretations of their holy texts) will happen at the end of the 2000-year long Year of Godliness, when the gods see that mankind has continued on their wicked ways and purges the world in a rain of fire. As a result, with their survivalist mentality they're more prepared than anyone else to survive the apocalypse and emerge into a ruined anarchic wasteland and attempt to restore order. Two of the main protagonists are scientists, and have been fighting/arguing against the Apostles the entire length of the novel. At the very end, they decide that rather than try and fight the Apostles in some kind of guerilla warfare campaign, to join the Apostles in their attempt to rebuild society. Their reasoning is that even though their 'logic' behind the truth of Nightfall is flawed, they still arrive at the same basic conclusion, and that they have to put their trust in future generations of thinkers and skeptics to, in the future, rediscover the truth behind the orbits and astronomy. Fighting against them in the meantime would only result in their (the protagonists') early deaths, and stymie the cultists' attempts at reestablishing civilization (as repugnant as they may find it).

I can see this argument in favor of the Legion, to a point... The main difference being, it's several hundred years after the war, so there have been a number of nation-states rising out of the ashes, and you definitely DON'T get that sense of "Welp, the world just blew up, what should I do now?" / "This is going to happen again in two thousand years, what is the best course of action to help preserve knowledge and society in the long term?"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah but the solution to that is actually taking a step forward and learning from your mistakes, rather just huddling in ignorance because someone might invent nukes one day.

Anyway, reactionaries will probably be more likely to nuke the poo poo out of people in the long run if they ever got a hold of nukes. In addition, if you reject technology, people are going to suffer more in the long run, sure there is always the chance of another nuclear war but the total amount of suffering is going to be greater if you reject technology and generations upon generations of people die of treatable diseases and suffer malnutrition.

The NCR has problems but not enough problems to ditch it for something obviously far worse. Obviously, the "best ending" is one where the NCR still exists but is balance by other forces that splits up power in the region and hopefully the NCR will learn from its mistakes.

Anyway, what is the worse case scenario of the NCR's bureaucracy and corruption? It becomes a primitive fascist state where technology doesn't work, the medical system has collapsed and its ruled by a nutty dictator.... oh wait.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ze Pollack posted:

Tellin' ya, man. Utobitha. Been sold on it ever since Best Friend Tabitha explained 'it was either we keep our pet Centaurs or we let humans in. It was a hard decision, but let's face it: Centaurs are adorable.'

I'm looking for someone to take a load off my mind! Tabitha's the one who tells it like it is!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ardennes posted:

Anyway, what is the worse case scenario of the NCR's bureaucracy and corruption? It becomes a primitive fascist state where technology doesn't work, the medical system has collapsed and its ruled by a nutty dictator.... oh wait.

Actually it would be something more akin to total anarchy of killing and looting, I think. Basically what Raul talks about Arizona being like before the Legion cleaned things up. I mean, you're not talking about sturdy tribals being assimilated and trained, you're talking about basically regular people who no longer have food or safety who've lived as farmers and bankers and poo poo basically dealing with a situation more akin to the end of civilization right after the bombs dropped.

So literally an entirely different situation than the Legion?

The Gun Runners would probably be alright, though. I wonder if rope kid made it so they're basically well off no matter what ending you choose (because as we all know, Caesar leaves independent traders alone).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SlothfulCobra posted:

The level of bloodlust implied in the crazy deathcount that the Legion leaves everywhere it goes doesn't seem to me like the sort of thing that makes for good spy material. Hell, abstaining from any drugs doesn't seem like good spy material, since every society drinks; just round up the suspects who abstain from alcohol or stimpacks and you could find spies that way.

There's been a spy in Camp McCarren that not even most people who play the game can figure out easily. Part of being a spy is integrating into whatever is demanded of them. There are plenty of ways to hide such aversion to drugs with plausibility. Maybe he has a congenital heart defect that would kill him if he takes stimpacks, etc

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Pretty condescending bro! But anyway:

I apologize.

quote:

Actually if you complete McLafferty's questline (including stealing the Gun Runners schematics) before you expose them, both the Van Graffs and Crimson Caravan get slaughtered on the return trip to California.

So in the end, it really does boil down to well-organized guys with guns :v:

That's true, but if you're the type of person interested in seeing above-the-board justice done, presumably you also wouldn't engage in corporate espionage on behalf of McLafferty.

quote:

Not that this is really an argument for the Legion per se, but its hinted at in the game that NCR is dying a slow death due to the bloated system-wide bureacracy and corruption that has made it basically unable to function at anything not a snail's pace. Hell, if you have Lonesome Road, Ulysses pretty much spells it out for you point-blank.

(He also says the Legion is gonna die due to entirely different problems, but that's kind of the point. They're both bad, dumb ideas.)

It doesn't seem to me that aside from losing to the Legion that the NCR as a whole is doomed to death, either in the short-run by choking on its own bureaucracy or in the long-run by engaging in another nuclear war. Someone else can defend the NCR's viability, though, I'm just against fascism, although I admit the NCR's idea seems far far far less dumb to me than the Legion's.

quote:

I think you're overthinking this here by, like, a LOT. There's several reasons someone would choose the Legion: because 88 individual tribes being forcibly assimilated into wearing old football equipment, speaking faux-Latin and worshipping some prick with a Jersey accent as the Son of Mars is vastly more interesting than 'basically the US government but more limp-wristed.' Because assassinating a president is vastly more interesting than stopping someone else from doing it, gameplay-wise. Because those Praetorian capes are baller as gently caress.

Nobody who is not either very stupid or very insane is literally going "Hmmmm, I think in that situation I would prefer to live under the fascist regime where I'm not allowed to drink, take real medicine and my day consists of being raped constantly/attacking dudes with assault rifles with a point stick." You can still see the 'upside' in terms of long-term regional stability and the ideological war between the two and have fun arguing about it without wanting fascism IRL. Another revelation: you don't have to want to eat people to take the 'Cannibal' perk :ssh:

Sure, I don't debate anyone's preference to play the bad guys. I don't even think I could logically argue someone out of liking fascism if that's truly their preference. What I'm mostly interested in doing is breaking down some of the rationalized defenses people make for the Legion, like that its Hegelian dialectic motive will improve the lives of people in the Mojave, or that such hardcore brutality is needed to survive in the wastes. Maybe I just don't think corruption and raider attacks are as grim as slavery and state-sanctioned rape.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I wonder what people's reactions would be if the legion wasn't based on the romans but on the ottoman empire, who were also a huge force in the world, practiced slavery, and were generally regarded as one of the most powerful empires in the history of the world for a lot of the same reasons the romans were.

Slavery in the Ottoman empire was also far less of an open and shut case than in the Roman empire because "slaves" often entered into very priviledged positions in society, particularly if they became janissaries.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ddraig posted:

I wonder what people's reactions would be if the legion wasn't based on the romans but on the ottoman empire, who were also a huge force in the world, practiced slavery, and were generally regarded as one of the most powerful empires in the history of the world for a lot of the same reasons the romans were.

Slavery in the Ottoman empire was also far less of an open and shut case than in the Roman empire because "slaves" often entered into very priviledged positions in society, particularly if they became janissaries.

It would be far more difficult to do since you would actually need to someone who knows Ottoman history, and believe me there aren't a lot of them in the us.

That said, the Ottomans worked differently than the Romans and honestly most cultures would have been left alone as long as they paid their taxes and once in a while send a kid to Neo-Constantiople. Also, yes, slavery worked very differently since pretty much everyone is the bureaucracy was some type of gul or "slave" but pretty much didn't live a life or acted any differently than any other bureaucrat.

The Ottomans were extremely pluralistic through and even if slavery was legal, it was in a very different context and it would have to bring up Islamic definitions of slavery. More or less, it would be a mess unless someone actually took the time to study Ottoman history. As it is, the legion has barely having to do with the actual Roman Empire. Obsidian version of the Ottoman Empire would be some dudes in Turbans made from fast food wrappers riding around on horses looking for women for their harams.

Also even if the NCR fell "anarchy" some warlord would take over, who would like I said, have a society very much like the legion. The legion is really a pretty basic violence driven society more or less it is like if raiders from Fallout 1 got really powerful and took out sandy sands and worked outward. The Legion isn't a solution to the NCR's problems, it is a send backward so far back that the NCR's minor problems seem nothing in comparison. You have a broken finger? Let me blow your hand off for you!

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
New Vegas should have had a faction based on the Moops

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ardennes posted:

The Ottomans were extremely pluralistic through and even if slavery was legal, it was in a very different context and it would have to bring up Islamic definitions of slavery. More or less, it would be a mess unless someone actually took the time to study Ottoman history. As it is, the legion has barely having to do with the actual Roman Empire. Obsidian version of the Ottoman Empire would be some dudes in Turbans made from fast food wrappers riding around on horses looking for women for their harams.

To be fair, I believe Ropekid has explained several times that Caesar's Legion wasn't modeled off of the Roman Empire, itself. He's actually gone into a lot of depth on the subject, leading me to believe the writers didn't simply watch "Gladiator" when they were creating the faction. I would like to think that if they had based it off of the Ottoman empire, they would have given it the same amount of care and attention, and wouldn't end up with the crap you came up with.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I got a degree in history because I hate it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

To be fair, I believe Ropekid has explained several times that Caesar's Legion wasn't modeled off of the Roman Empire, itself. He's actually gone into a lot of depth on the subject, leading me to believe the writers didn't simply watch "Gladiator" when they were creating the faction. I would like to think that if they had based it off of the Ottoman empire, they would have given it the same amount of care and attention, and wouldn't end up with the crap you came up with.

Ceasar's legion seemed to be the best hits of the most repelling stuff about the Romans, I guess it was intentional. But man, there would have been so much of a stronger argument about their long term stability if you all that boring civilian bureaucrat was there too. Yeah, Ceasar's legion was the tip of the spear but if they had mentioned the "senate" or "tribune" it would have been so much more compelling.

Ceasar could just say "the Senate does what I SAY!" but at least you knew there was some type of machinery in the background and it literally just wasn't just an army and slaves. Otherwise, they're just a bunch of raiders with a literate warlord and that just isn't a compelling option if are hoping for anything positive.

This is has been said before, but I guess it needs to be repeated.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Ceasar's legion seemed to be the best hits of the most repelling stuff about the Romans, I guess it was intentional. But man, there would have been so much of a stronger argument about their long term stability if you all that boring civilian bureaucrat was there too. Yeah, Ceasar's legion was the tip of the spear but if they had mentioned the "senate" or "tribune" it would have been so much more compelling.

Ceasar could just say "the Senate does what I SAY!" but at least you knew there was some type of machinery in the background and it literally just wasn't just an army and slaves. Otherwise, they're just a bunch of raiders with a literate warlord and that just isn't a compelling option if are hoping for anything positive.

This is has been said before, but I guess it needs to be repeated.

That's perfectly reasonable, in that case. I was simply pointing out that it's disingenuous to say that they were based off of the Roman Empire, itself (and thus a poor imitation) when it's been established that they aren't. I, too, would have liked to have seen more in-game dialogue and evidence pointing to Caesar's plans once they overtook the Mojave--something that would clearly indicate they were more than shock, awe, and violence. Even if it was a simple conversation with Caesar where he said, "Once the Mojave is ours, we can begin rebuilding its trade channels, etc..."

While there are hints of something more to the faction, for most players it isn't enough to provide a rational counterpoint to the NCR.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's perfectly reasonable, in that case. I was simply pointing out that it's disingenuous to say that they were based off of the Roman Empire, itself (and thus a poor imitation) when it's been established that they aren't. I, too, would have liked to have seen more in-game dialogue and evidence pointing to Caesar's plans once they overtook the Mojave--something that would clearly indicate they were more than shock, awe, and violence. Even if it was a simple conversation with Caesar where he said, "Once the Mojave is ours, we can begin rebuilding its trade channels, etc..."

While there are hints of something more to the faction, for most players it isn't enough to provide a rational counterpoint to the NCR.

For me it would have to be a bit more than trade but something to show there is something to show the legion is going to be a functional society even if it is autocratic. Making the trains run on time isn't an argument I necessarily respect but I can acknowledge as an argument.

Besides the Caravan stuff, I have no idea what went on over there. It would have been awesome if Ceasar had some scale model of New Vegas, and went "we're going to build a new forum here and next to it my palace!"(har har har) Maybe he could even have a Speer-like architect dude to nod at everything he says. He might says some generic stuff about Vegas, but you need something to show that there is something more to the legion or that he has more detailed plans. I mean there is plenty of details about the nitty gritty of the NCR and all the poo poo going on in it.

Basically, something to show it is going to be a stable empire that could last rather than a more fragmented modern nation state that might fall apart but people would be more free and equal.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 4, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Caufman posted:

:words:

First off, it's not about your persona ingame. Nobody here's discussing the Legion because they're seriously confused that the loopy foreign screaming dudes with heads on pikes are dickheads, so can we finally dispense with that tired-rear end bullshit? Yeah, fascists are bad news, especially from the perspectives and values systems of a democratic individualist society. Most people don't need a videogame to tell them that. The game goes to a lot of trouble to question unquestioned assumptions re: all that poo poo, examining why they're bad and why anyone would be one even though they're bad, what similarities and connections their badness might have to problems of our own we just handwave away. Point-blank refusing to engage that material and just asserting your preference for effectively your own status quo, accusing anyone who actually reads the problem as presented of being Hitler is about the least interesting response possible.

We don't actually see the core states or economic foundations of either power, all we get is the words of people who have been there. What you get out of the people from Redding etc. is actually that they're sorta depressed shitholes that got stabilized a bit but haven't developed at all, and are still much the poo poo-poor cowtowns they were in FO2 if not worse. That's why the people who willingly sign up join the NCR army, they'd rather be shot at than be stuck in their own little colonies for the rest of their lives. I can't think of a character that talks about their home in California fondly - maybe I just can't remember one though. While nobody goes into any detail about Legion rule and it's hard to see how they'd accomplish what's attributed to them, it is asserted generally that life in the Legion is at least pretty awesome if you're a dude who didn't get enslaved.

That's not exactly the most shining praise, especially when coupled with the whole rapetrain deal and general barbarism, but it's worth pointing out that while they've taken on the trappings the NCR is not the America you live in. A couple towns get to be America, the rest is Mexico, Sri Lanka, maybe Iraq, the guys who pay for the nice lives and social mobility of the core.

quote:

slavery

So... who found themselves revising their opinion of the NCR in light of how the Powder Gangers got treated? I mean, the first thing you're likely to see of the NCR is essentially a straight-up slave camp that lead a Spartacus-style revolt, it's sorta funny that slavery seems to be one of the two sticking points for the Legion that's trucked out to favor their enemies.

The NCR has a functional slave economy parallel to the Legion's, it's just a more modern styled one, similar to our own where sweatshops and forced labor (with attendant near-indefinite prison terms for previously minor offenses and broad disregard for the treatment of anyone not a papered citizen) sprang up to fill the economic niche voided when our old class of subcitizens became untenable.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 4, 2012

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Edward Sallow created Caesar's Legion as an imitation of the Roman Legion, but without any of the Roman society that supported the Roman Legion. I've written this before, but there are no optimates, no populares, no plebes, no equestrians, no patricians, no senate, no Rome. There's no right to private property (within the Legion itself). There's no civil law. There aren't even the ceremonial trappings of Roman society. Legates don't receive triumphs following a victory. No one in the Legion retires to a villa in Sedona.

It's essentially a Roman legion with only the very top commander having any connection to the "source" culture, the rest being indoctrinated conscripts from cultures that were honestly less well-developed than anything in Gaul. Gauls are pretty sophisticated compared to the 80+ tribes. Gauls could read the Latin or Greek alphabets (Gallic language, obviously), had extensive permanent settlements, roads, calendars, mines, and a whole load of poo poo that groups like the Blackfoots never had.

What Caesar gave to those tribes was order, discipline, an end to internecine tribal violence (eventually), common language, and a common culture that was not rooted in any of their parent cultures. The price was extreme brutality, an enormous loss of life and individual culture, the complete dissolution of anything resembling a traditional family, and the indoctrination of fascist values.

Caesar's Legion isn't the Roman Empire or the Roman Republic. It isn't even the Roman Legion. It's a slave army with trappings of foreign-conscripted Roman legionaries during the late empire. All military, no civilian, and with none of the supporting civilian culture.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

First off, it's not about your persona ingame. Nobody here's discussing the Legion because they're seriously confused that the loopy foreign screaming dudes with heads on pikes are dickheads, so can we finally dispense with that tired-rear end bullshit? Yeah, fascists are bad news, especially from the perspectives and values systems of a democratic individualist society. Most people don't need a videogame to tell them that. The game goes to a lot of trouble to question unquestioned assumptions re: all that poo poo, examining why they're bad and why anyone would be one even though they're bad, what similarities and connections their badness might have to problems of our own we just handwave away. Point-blank refusing to engage that material and just asserting your preference for effectively your own status quo, accusing anyone who actually reads the problem as presented of being Hitler is about the least interesting response possible.

We don't actually see the core states or economic foundations of either power, all we get is the words of people who have been there. What you get out of the people from Redding etc. is actually that they're sorta depressed shitholes that got stabilized a bit but haven't developed at all, and are still much the poo poo-poor cowtowns they were in FO2 if not worse. That's why the people who willingly sign up join the NCR army, they'd rather be shot at than be stuck in their own little colonies for the rest of their lives. I can't think of a character that talks about their home in California fondly - maybe I just can't remember one though. While nobody goes into any detail about Legion rule and it's hard to see how they'd accomplish what's attributed to them, it is asserted generally that life in the Legion is at least pretty awesome if you're a dude who didn't get enslaved.

That's not exactly the most shining praise, especially when coupled with the whole rapetrain deal and general barbarism, but it's worth pointing out that while they've taken on the trappings the NCR is not the America you live in. A couple towns get to be America, the rest is Mexico, Sri Lanka, maybe Iraq, the guys who pay for the nice lives and social mobility of the core.

So... who found themselves revising their opinion of the NCR in light of how the Powder Gangers got treated? I mean, the first thing you're likely to see of the NCR is essentially a straight-up slave camp that lead a Spartacus-style revolt, it's sorta funny that slavery seems to be one of the two sticking points for the Legion that's trucked out to favor their enemies.

The NCR has a functional slave economy parallel to the Legion's, it's just a more modern styled one, similar to our own where sweatshops and forced labor (with attendant near-indefinite prison terms for previously minor offenses and broad disregard for the treatment of anyone not a papered citizen) sprang up to fill the economic niche voided when our old class of subcitizens became untenable.

To be honest, the power gangers seem better treated then the slaves in the legion. Chain gangs suck, but at least there are qualifications there even if it is forced labor. Like people have been saying questionable stuff still exists in modern democracies, but this choice (ignoring yes men/house) is relatively binary.

In that case the harder core nature and totality of the legion is worse if you care about liberal values than a chain gang, even if you have a problem with both. No one thinks the NCR is a utopia, but if you have to make a choice then there is no reason to choose the legion over the NCR is you want some type of stable societal progress based on what you have to go on. You know the NCR is corrupt and there are serious issues, but at least it is a stable functional (as it is) civilization, in the "there isn't mass rape and you don't have to beat/kill people to get basic things done" sort of way.

quote:

Edward Sallow created Caesar's Legion as an imitation of the Roman Legion, but without any of the Roman society that supported the Roman Legion. I've written this before, but there are no optimates, no populares, no plebes, no equestrians, no patricians, no senate, no Rome. There's no right to private property (within the Legion itself). There's no civil law. There aren't even the ceremonial trappings of Roman society. Legates don't receive triumphs following a victory. No one in the Legion retires to a villa in Sedona.

It's essentially a Roman legion with only the very top commander having any connection to the "source" culture, the rest being indoctrinated conscripts from cultures that were honestly less well-developed than anything in Gaul. Gauls are pretty sophisticated compared to the 80+ tribes. Gauls could read the Latin or Greek alphabets (Gallic language, obviously), had extensive permanent settlements, roads, calendars, mines, and a whole load of poo poo that groups like the Blackfoots never had.

What Caesar gave to those tribes was order, discipline, an end to internecine tribal violence (eventually), common language, and a common culture that was not rooted in any of their parent cultures. The price was extreme brutality, an enormous loss of life and individual culture, the complete dissolution of anything resembling a traditional family, and the indoctrination of fascist values.

Caesar's Legion isn't the Roman Empire or the Roman Republic. It isn't even the Roman Legion. It's a slave army with trappings of foreign-conscripted Roman legionaries during the late empire. All military, no civilian, and with none of the supporting civilian culture.

Ropekid, I think most people get that part of their history, but that history doesn't really give too much justification to the player. United tribesmen through a system like that is one thing, but why would the player want to be part of it unless their just into that type of thing?

Caesar has shown he can unite tribesmen like gang busters but no real evidence that he is capable of competing a modern state expect in a brute force military manner. The reason I had suggested Ceasar's empire be run differently, is that I think an army more fully modeled on the Roman Empire would actually be appealing to the player since at least there would be some confidence Ceasar knew how to run things in peace time.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 4, 2012

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Ardennes posted:

Caesar has shown he can unite tribesmen like gang busters but no real evidence that he is capable of competing a modern state expect in a brute force military manner. The reason I had suggested Ceasar's empire be run differently, is that I think an army more fully modeled on the Roman Empire would actually be appealing to the player since at least there would be some confidence Ceasar knew how to run things in peace time.

That's the gamble, really. If you go NCR, there's no guarantee that they won't eventually collapse from their continued push east. If you support House, there's no guarantee it'll help... anything, really. If you go Yes Man, someone else might sweep in and take the wild Mojave by force, rendering all your work moot. If you support Caesar, his new empire might totally blow for everybody. I don't think there's any really safe bets for the Mojave.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Finished all of the dlc, despite it being heavy on combat I found myself really enjoying Lonesome Road, unlike Dead Money. The Lonesome Road ending can eat a dick for pulling a fast one: omg a vault 21 duster?! The Vault Dweller is alive, how?! oh wait that's just the yes man duster, which you would never guess unless you got it.
I no longer want to play FO3, sick and tired of it's flaws and quirks. The funny thing is, I never actually finished the main quest in New Vegas even though I restarted it once and in both playthroughs I got near the no return point.

edit:derp, I just remembered that the original vault was 13 not 21

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 4, 2012

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dush posted:

That's the gamble, really. If you go NCR, there's no guarantee that they won't eventually collapse from their continued push east. If you support House, there's no guarantee it'll help... anything, really. If you go Yes Man, someone else might sweep in and take the wild Mojave by force, rendering all your work moot. If you support Caesar, his new empire might totally blow for everybody. I don't think there's any really safe bets for the Mojave.

It is about what you have to gone on, the NCR has a track record about at least being existent and functioning while the legion doesn't really seem to have too much going on in the "running actual things besides an army" department. I could the NCR surviving much more than Ceasar pivoting from a raider army to somewhere worth living.

Also, with Yes Man anything could happen which is probably why it is the most appealing since there is a chance for something "not bad."

Also, I must be the only one who liked Dead Money, starting over from scratch was fun.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 4, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, why did House fill most of Vault 21 with cement? Was he worried its lower areas would intersect with his own underground robot factories if left unattended?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Speedball posted:

So, why did House fill most of Vault 21 with cement? Was he worried its lower areas would intersect with his own underground robot factories if left unattended?

Formspring posted:

Joshua E. Sawyer

Why in the world would House cement in that Vault? It makes no sense.

He doesn't want it to be able to return to a fully-functional vault because he doesn't want its former residents to attempt to retake it. I.e. he wants to motivate the Vault 21 dwellers to leave the area. If he had simply sealed off areas or electronically locked portions of it, enterprising smarties like ex-vaulters might attempt to work against him and eventually restore it. With the majority of the vault filled with cement, it can only function as a tourist attraction and small-scale residence.
JESawyer responded 1 day ago

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I hate to interrupt this discussion, which is fascinating- the fact that it enables this sort of conversation is a huge part of why I love New Vegas- but I've finally got around to the DLCs and after killing Dr Mobius in Old World Blues, I'm getting CTDs about 50% of the time when I fast travel, even after returning to the Mojave. Anybody else had this?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Pope Guilty posted:

I hate to interrupt this discussion, which is fascinating- the fact that it enables this sort of conversation is a huge part of why I love New Vegas- but I've finally got around to the DLCs and after killing Dr Mobius in Old World Blues, I'm getting CTDs about 50% of the time when I fast travel, even after returning to the Mojave. Anybody else had this?

Turn off auto-save on fast travel.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

gohuskies posted:

Turn off auto-save on fast travel.

I'm running CASM so I guess I should do that anyway. :doh: Thanks!

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...
It looks like Bethesda and Interplay have settled over the Fallout MMO lawsuit: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/01/04/report-bethesda-and-interplay-settle-fallout-lawsuit

The actual results are supposed to be announced this month, whether or not Interplay can actually finish and release Fallout Online. I hope so, otherwise No Mutants Allowed is going to go ballistic and probably suicide bomb Bethesda or something.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Point-blank refusing to engage that material and just asserting your preference for effectively your own status quo, accusing anyone who actually reads the problem as presented of being Hitler is about the least interesting response possible.

I'll repeat this again: I am not in favor of the NCR, I just am opposed to the Legion. I like to read about people's position on House vs NCR vs Yes Man and see the relative merits of all their positions. I am only in favor of the NCR in that I think boring, stagnant cowtowns and economic disparity and taxes are all preferable to slavery, rape, and fascism.

quote:

I'm from the third world. I'll tell you straight up that I'd rather live in a satellite democracy than North Korea.

quote:

You don't think it's a little disingenuous to say that the Legion and the NCR have parallel slave economies? NCR has a prison-industrial complex, and it is vile, but the Legion economy is almost entirely slaves. When your tribe is conquered by the Legion, the population that remains is completely enslaved. And again, the NCRCF is a good example of a problem that the NCR has that the Legion will not solve, unless you think the problem is that the NCR doesn't enslave enough and would improve if it enslaved everybody. I'm open to examining the problems of the NCR, but I don't see how you can solve them with fascism. When you next reply to my post, please try to answer this point.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ardennes posted:

why would the player want to be part of it unless their just into that type of thing?
People support things for a lot of reasons, but I think people who would support Caesar essentially believe his pitch/vision. They don't want to see NCR turned into an extension of Caesar's Legion, but want it to become Caesar's synthesis of NCR and CL. In Caesar's mind, this California Empire would have the infrastructure, knowledge, technology, and some culture from the NCR with the discipline, integrity, efficiency, and security of the Legion.

If you buy that, you buy the Legion. Then again, I didn't design the major factions thinking that a certain percentage of people needed to side with any given one of them. The same applies to Joshua and Daniel in Honest Hearts. For me, it was a given that the majority of players would side with Joshua.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Siding with Joshua seemed like the logical conclusion to the story and by far the most satisfying, even if it was a bitter victory.

A lot of people rip on Honest Hearts but I think the rather tragic story is very well done.