Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tw1tchy posted:

It seems that he codes in C++, so I doubt he's going to be a coder.

Nothing stopping a C++ coder from knowing Java too, man. (In fact, I wouldn't think much of a programmer who doesn't know both to a pretty decent level)

That video really excites me, because the art styles and visuals and design and everything in there show so much promise and the idea of Minecraft being worked on by Jens, This Guy and the new AI programmer is an amazing idea.

Knowing Notch, he's hired him to work on Scrolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Tw1tchy posted:

Notch just hired the maker of Cube World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jujKOju_MBM

:aaaaa: THIS is what Minecraft should be.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I really like the cubist aesthetic, which is why I bought 3D Dot Heroes, so if Minecraft in some way incorporated some more of Cube World, I'd be so happy.

Hell, transfere most of Minecraft's gameplay into Cube World's engine would probably do it for me.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

The snapshot posted:

We are currently still preparing work for the mod API. The API is going to take some time to implement properly, so we ask for patience :)

I thought that they abandoned the idea of making a mod API in favor of opening the source in a limited way. Did that change again?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

tinaun posted:

Edit: release later this month

FFffff. Can they stop with the constant releases until they get an API? Really? Do you really need a brand new release that adds a few improvements and breaks all the community ones for half a month? You're releasing snapshots for anyone that wants to try it.

What the hell Mojang.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Opening the source doesn't actually help much for modding compared to an actual API.

Well, it helps if you want to use exactly one mod, but as soon as you want to use two, things get tricky if both mods want to change the same part of the core game in different ways. And mods stop working if the core game changes enough that the things they were patching no longer exist.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

pseudorandom name posted:

Opening the source doesn't actually help much for modding compared to an actual API.

Well, it helps if you want to use exactly one mod, but as soon as you want to use two, things get tricky if both mods want to change the same part of the core game in different ways. And mods stop working if the core game changes enough that the things they were patching no longer exist.

I agree, but at this rate we'll have an API in a year. I wish they'd just freeze development until then, that's all. It's annoying to watch everything in the community freeze for a month.

edit: Also, yes, to the guy two up, they did switch back to making an API.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

For those of us who don't play with client side mods, i'm alright with the regular releases, it shows they're working on the game and changes things up more often than the previous release schedule, If you could call it that.

A modding API would be pretty awesome though, if jeb could get that out.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bellend Sebastian posted:

For those of us who don't play with client side mods, i'm alright with the regular releases, it shows they're working on the game and changes things up more often than the previous release schedule, If you could call it that.

A modding API would be pretty awesome though, if jeb could get that out.

Don't the snapshots you can download already do that?

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
I personally don't mind that Jeb is polishing Minecraft without really adding too many features, or at least not adding pointless features. I think world types are long overdue for being brought back. I really hope floating comes back, too.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Vinigre posted:

I personally don't mind that Jeb is polishing Minecraft without really adding too many features, or at least not adding pointless features. I think world types are long overdue for being brought back. I really hope floating comes back, too.

I'm excited that he's polishing Minecraft without adding new features. It's gotten pretty bloated as-is and needs some optimization and gameplay improvements.

I think one of the best things he could do is to severely reduce waiting times on everything, not just potions. It feels like half the stuff in the game is "balanced" around having to wait around for five minutes while something does something.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I would like some of Minecraft's features to be expanded upon though. Like Vib Rib said: the Nether, strongholds, so on and so forth never really felt "finished". There's a whole lot of things in Minecraft that just feel half started. Granted, this game has always appealed to the survival side of me more instead of creative. (Even though I bought the game when creative was the only game mode for months). These discussions always make me wonder where Minecraft started going sour. Notch was this awesome update farting machine god when indev and infdev were being worked on. Then he just lost most of his steam when he started working on SMP. From that point on his enthusiasm really tanked. I really don't think he enjoyed Minecraft half as much by the end of the first Halloween update.

I just hope there will be good updates in the future. If if they're content updates, at least ones that feel whole and complete.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
I just wish they had a "No, and stop asking!" button on the "Do you want to update now?" screen.
Because I use client side mods, that ends up being my biggest annoyance whenever they update.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Iacen posted:

But for what? For Minecraft or for another project. Because I'm not sure I will be able to sum up any enthusiasm for a new Mojang game.
Watch it be Minecraft 2.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Iacen posted:

I really like the cubist aesthetic, which is why I bought 3D Dot Heroes, so if Minecraft in some way incorporated some more of Cube World, I'd be so happy.

Hell, transfere most of Minecraft's gameplay into Cube World's engine would probably do it for me.
If you want another Minecraft X 3D Dot Heroes thing, look at Forge Quest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkiE9BLdOkE

Their Kickstarter ends in a week. Hope they make their quota by then.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Tw1tchy posted:

Notch just hired the maker of Cube World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jujKOju_MBM

Watching that video is like finding out about news of a new star system with an earth-like planet, but then the news you attached is the update the next day that it got sucked into a black hole. :(

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Minrad posted:

Watching that video is like finding out about news of a new star system with an earth-like planet, but then the news you attached is the update the next day that it got sucked into a black hole. :(

Yeah, I couldn't help but think after watching that video that Cube World looked better than Minecraft in every way and it's a shame Notch hired him.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I mean look at this one: Giant bosses that deform terrain and everything. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2LO1n2F25M

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

I'm only sad they hired that guy cause I think cube world looks really bad.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah, I couldn't help but think after watching that video that Cube World looked better than Minecraft in every way and it's a shame Notch hired him.
Cube Worlds is a very different game though. It's a light RPG with generated, deformable voxel terrain. But there's no digging or mining (and according to the creator never will be), and you don't go into the world to farm, harvest resources, etc. It's just about fighting monsters and that's it.
Also, both the guy and Notch suggested Cube Worlds will continue its production anyway. It's not being given up for Minecraft.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
That game looks pretty cool. I also thought this game that was announced yesterday looks intriguing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwZdXRPeYrc

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Faraday Cage posted:

Swamp biome transitions look a hell of a lot better now:

Does anyone know if this will apply to existing worlds?

I waited and waited to generate a new world and edit in all of my structures.

Finally last weekend I picked a seed, started working, and now this.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Jin Wicked posted:

Does anyone know if this will apply to existing worlds?

I waited and waited to generate a new world and edit in all of my structures.

Finally last weekend I picked a seed, started working, and now this.

I'm sure the transitions are just overlays that are now set on a gradient so it should apply to current worlds just fine. It's not like there's a special Swamp Water Block vs. Regular Water Block, it's just a color filter that's now smoothed out.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Disappointing Pie posted:

That game looks pretty cool. I also thought this game that was announced yesterday looks intriguing.

The part where he blew up the tower with the dude on it and he fell off the island was great.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

messagemode1 posted:

I'm sure the transitions are just overlays that are now set on a gradient so it should apply to current worlds just fine. It's not like there's a special Swamp Water Block vs. Regular Water Block, it's just a color filter that's now smoothed out.

I figured as much. I hope that is the case because it looks very nice.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

:aaaaa: I want these guys to team up with ToadyOne and fix Dwarf Fortress.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I hope everyone recognizes that this is pretty much Dungeon Master 3.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

What's the commonly used/recommending mapping utility for Minecraft? I'm beginning work on support for launching other third party programs for Minecraft from Jetset Minecraft Manager, so you can point them at your custom install locations (because most assume Minecraft's in Appdata), and I want something popular to test. I've already, sadly, confirmed that Cartograph_G WON'T work, and there's really nothing I can do about it barring a post-Christmas miracle or recreating its GUI entirely within JSMM, which is so not within my program's scope.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Posting here quickly so I can check my post history for the app I liked, and probably will just quote it.

IUG posted:

I use Minetographer now, and I love the output. Google Maps of your world. I just made a render a few days ago of our map, and it shows the nether portals, signs, where players logged out, and other things if you want.

Here's a render of my server, Insert Coins:
http://www.nobleoccum.com/insertcoins/map/world/
(The highest magnification shows all white because that was somewhere over 2 gigs and I wasn't going to upload that.)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

messagemode1 posted:

I loaded up my multiplayer world last night to check, my 'home' is right next to a swamp biome and there was no change to the colors. There was also no update, though, so I don't know how small changes like this are meant to work.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

I loaded up my multiplayer world last night to check, my 'home' is right next to a swamp biome and there was no change to the colors. There was also no update, though, so I don't know how small changes like this are meant to work.

The snapshot releases are like the pre-releases they did previously. They don't automatically update like the major releases do. Instead, you have to download the new jars manually. The obvious downside is that, in doing so, mods and plugins break so (I'd imagine) that most servers don't use them.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

krushgroove posted:

It didn't change because the snapshots are manual updates and not automatic, they're exclusively for people who bother to download and install the snapshots for their servers and clients.

So yes it would make sense that since you didn't update, there was no change.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

FFffff. Can they stop with the constant releases until they get an API? Really? Do you really need a brand new release that adds a few improvements and breaks all the community ones for half a month? You're releasing snapshots for anyone that wants to try it.

What the hell Mojang.
Casual fans would get pretty shafted, they're not going to go hunting down the snapshots. What's wrong with just not updating until the mods you/your server wants are updated? Your objection is entirely valid, but I understand why they want to push new content in a user-friendly way.

Really they need to hurry up and buckle down on the API so mods don't break in the first place.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Danzou posted:

Really they need to hurry up and buckle down on the API so mods don't break in the first place.

In the interim they could stop with the automated obfuscation that causes most of the delay updating the mods. I don't really understand at this point why they're keeping it up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I was building on the water, and I hosed up, and now I've got some underwater currents going on. The sound of running water going constantly.

I managed to find a few of them and stop them, but I still hear more and can't find them. Is there either an easy way to locate these noisy bastards, or at least a non-intrusive construction to guarantee that I'll fix them?

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Jamesman posted:

I was building on the water, and I hosed up, and now I've got some underwater currents going on. The sound of running water going constantly.

I managed to find a few of them and stop them, but I still hear more and can't find them. Is there either an easy way to locate these noisy bastards, or at least a non-intrusive construction to guarantee that I'll fix them?

Install Optifine and turn on clear waters so you can see better?

Edit: Actually, MCEdit might be helpful. You could probably use the fill tool on the lake to turn the water source blocks into moving water, then turn use the tool again to make it all source blocks (including the moving water you can't find). I'm not 100% sure the fill tool works that way though, and I can't check because MCEdit won't open right now for some reason...

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 7, 2012

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
In MCEdit you can select the area, and replace active water with still water.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So is that new hire the talked about AI guy or did they not announce who that is yet?

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
I just downloaded and installed the snapshot. Hostile mobs spawned from eggs seem to be persistent.

The improved biome transitions applied to my existing world, and I did not notice any crappy chunk edges on new terrain.

My pine forests iced over and started to snow immediately, but I guess that was intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So is that new hire the talked about AI guy or did they not announce who that is yet?

What's the new man's name? The AI guy is Jon.