Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You have awesome metal working skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Blood Magnet posted:

The arm held in place with a C clamp.

Gonna high five this car if I ever see you out driving.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
I got my car into gear finally. After putting the oil in and working the selector fork in and out, it is actually engaging pretty smoothly.

Also the wire going from the battery to the ignition coil (No fuse box yet) arced out at some point over the weekend. It melted every molecule of plastic off the wire and nearly melted a hole in my battery. Ugh.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Hood ornament!

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Blood Magnet posted:

Hood ornament!

Rad. You should probably weld that down.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

thecobra posted:

Rad. You should probably weld that down.

I disagree.

Hook it up to a cattle prod power unit! Add a camera to film what happens.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
If I thought it even remotely possible to attach something like that to a bay I'd be begging you.

You need a big pair of those ornaments as wings.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Out on the street. I drove it around the block too. Three words: Pants making GBS threads terror. No floor, terrible alignment and negligible brakes. But that's what makes rat rods fun, right?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Blood Magnet posted:

Out on the street. I drove it around the block too. Three words: Pants making GBS threads terror. No floor, terrible alignment and negligible brakes. But that's what makes rat rods fun, right?

Oh.My.God.

That looks horrifying in the best way possible

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That right there is an absolute thing of beauty.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
Also, it is fast as gently caress. Scary fast. The car barely weighs anything.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Paint the wheels white but leave black walls.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Are you planning to paint it? I'm not sure I would. It looks like a zombie.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

Blood Magnet posted:

I think a set of Yamaha R1 disks and calipers on the front would look great!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Are you planning to paint it? I'm not sure I would. It looks like a zombie.

Definitely agree. It looks perfect.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This Car is Awesome

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just curious but what motor is in it? I still can't decide how big I want to go on my 59. Mine won't be anywhere near this level of ratrod, but mine is definitely going to stay rust/og paint and only get the brakes/motor/suspension replaced.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
This is by far one of the coolest AI builds I can remember. A friend of mine had a volksrod that I thought was awesome but this one is just insane and puts most others to shame.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Pretty please don't paint it. The whole "should be dead but runs like gently caress" vibe is totally being worked to great advantage here.

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!
If this was my car I'd throw a windshield in and call it done. Right now it would terrify children. :)

I think the only thing I'm not into is the hand signal thing. It's like... you've done too much work building that mechanism to have justified not using lights. It looks rad but out of place cause this car shouldn't give a poo poo about turn signals. I mean it doesn't even have front brakes! And it's not like people aren't gonna notice you.

Don't listen to me though. For your health.

Eh I guess what I mean is if you're gonna go to the trouble of creating that hand thing, why not throw a couple of bullet turn signals off a motorcycle on the car?
VVV

the damn Ruskis are back fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 5, 2012

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Well, also, lax as Florida is about anything car safety related, I'm pretty sure they require turn signals.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Just curious but what motor is in it? I still can't decide how big I want to go on my 59. Mine won't be anywhere near this level of ratrod, but mine is definitely going to stay rust/og paint and only get the brakes/motor/suspension replaced.

It has a 1600. I'm very happy with the power. Do you have a build thread for your 59? I'd love to see some photos.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Blood Magnet posted:

It has a 1600. I'm very happy with the power. Do you have a build thread for your 59? I'd love to see some photos.

I posted a thread like 2 years ago when I picked it up from the field. It's been neglected heavily. The original 36hp engine is back in Texas waiting to be rebuilt by a friend of the family that owes us quite a few favors. The only thing that has been done to it so far is I had the pans replaced. Once I get my tax refund I'm going to start throwing money at it. First thing that is getting done is a full wiring harness. I'm not even going to try to gently caress around with 53 year old wiring.

It can be seen lurking behind my current money sink.

I'm loving terrible at the internet.

Apparently gently caress imageshack. It all makes sense now.

Sorry only picture I have of it on my new phone.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 5, 2012

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Kaptainballistik posted:

I think a set of Yamaha R1 disks and calipers on the front would look great!

Yes. Check these from eBay.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

A set if those rotors and some monobloc calipers should almost pull that thing up nicely

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Here is a shift boot I made to hide the cobbled together mess of a shifter. I need to stretch the rubber boot down and pull the metal ring over it, but I need a second set of hands. I need to get some aircraft style bolts for the back part.

I was planning on doing a plexiglas floor, but I'm maybe leaning toward a plain aluminum floor. AI consensus will determine my forward progress.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A plexi floor sounds awesome as hell, but I can't imagine it would survive at all with any chassis flex / rocks getting kicked up / etc.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Armoured glass floor (the stuff with the metal mesh inside it)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

A transparent floor sounds all kinds of awesome. I'm not sure which material would be best (plexiglass would be my go-to but it might get scuffed up quickly being the floorpan). Perhaps a compromise of windows in the floor?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Gorilla Glass floor. Or a cheaper solution (not by much) would be a safety glass floor and then apply that transparent laminate they use for UV filtering on windows to protect it from nicks and scratches.

Either way I doubt it'll hold up to any kind of chassis flex.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
This beast is really cool, don't get me wrong, but I do not want to imagine all the different ways to be gouged chopped and flayed in that if you got into a wreck.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sten Freak posted:

This beast is really cool, don't get me wrong, but I do not want to imagine all the different ways to be gouged chopped and flayed in that if you got into a wreck.

Meh, you won't live long enough after the SUV caves the entire cabin in on you. I assume my fate will be to get run down by some rear end in a top hat on my 59s maiden voyage.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Sten Freak posted:

These cars were designed in the 30's and left largely untouched for 50+ years. I think you're chopped and flayed no matter what.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Would large rubber seals (1/2 inch, say?) and generous lips holding the glass mitigate the impact of flexing on transparent panels in the floor?

I'm thinking something like this, though I'll be the first to admit that I have no experience with anything of this sort:

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

simplefish posted:

Would large rubber seals (1/2 inch, say?) and generous lips holding the glass mitigate the impact of flexing on transparent panels in the floor?

I'm thinking something like this, though I'll be the first to admit that I have no experience with anything of this sort:

That is almost exactly how I was planning to do it. I was going to put some expanded metal where people's feet go.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
All of this accident talk made me want to do some photoshoppin'

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!
I would look at Lexan rather than plexiglas. Polycarb has a way better impact resistance than acrylic. It is more expensive though.

Maybe put the expanded metal on the underside of the glass to keep it from flexing as much?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Plastic wrap.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Clear sheet vinyl with snaps for easy replacement or convertible floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Lowclock posted:

Clear sheet vinyl with snaps for easy replacement or convertible floor.
Nice, if the car breaks down just pop out the floor windows and Flintstone it. :v:

More practically, I like the idea of using expanded metal for the floor and laying a sheet of whatever clear material you choose on top of it, maybe with wingnuts at the corners. That way you can have the Lexan to keep the bugs and gravel out, but have it be easily replaceable when it gets scuffed, or you can take it out when you want a cooling breeze from below.

• Locked thread