Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

It's Marvel 2, but slightly changed. Pushblock initiates a 22 frame animation, during which any attacks that connect (A) stop all the backwards momentum from the opponent being pushed away, (B) do only yellow life as chip damage, and (C) do 25% blockstun.

So, what that means is that you can pushblock to give yourself a third of a second of extended blockstun to make yourself crossup and throw-proof, OR you can pushblock the second-to-last hit of a blockstring to soak the blockstun of the last hit and make it super punishable. This is how you were able to punish Hyper Sentinel Force in MvC2.

Will Skullgirls have a loving dictionary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Dr Snofeld posted:

Yes, actually. They will be including a glossary of fighting game terms and teaching them to you in training mode :eng101:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Dr Snofeld posted:

Skullgirls isn't even out yet and it already taught me 'anatiferous'.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Sex Vicar posted:

Yes, actually. They will be including a glossary of fighting game terms and teaching them to you in training mode :eng101:

That's a relief. This looks pretty neat and I like the bizarreness of the fighters, but I can barely hold my own in Street Fighter much less one of these technical type fighters.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Broken Loose posted:

It's Marvel 2, but slightly changed. Pushblock initiates a 22 frame animation, during which any attacks that connect (A) stop all the backwards momentum from the opponent being pushed away, (B) do only yellow life as chip damage, and (C) do 25% blockstun.

So, what that means is that you can pushblock to give yourself a third of a second of extended blockstun to make yourself crossup and throw-proof, OR you can pushblock the second-to-last hit of a blockstring to soak the blockstun of the last hit and make it super punishable. This is how you were able to punish Hyper Sentinel Force in MvC2.

So do I understand correctly that pushblocking a low-stun (say some move has 20 frames of stun, maybe that's a nonsensical valur though) single hit move is bad, but any additional hits/followup moves are then at less (1/4) blockstun than normal?

New question, did they ever put in anything to allow life regen or lessened chip for a single-person team?

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
I remember hearing about a possible PC release. What happened to that?

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

washow posted:

I remember hearing about a possible PC release. What happened to that?

They want to do one and are going to start working on it immediately after XBL/PSN release.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ryanbomber posted:

They want to do one and are going to start working on it immediately after XBL/PSN release.

And I'm still waging it might come out before SSFIV:AE PC gets the 2012 patch, because gently caress Capcom.

I know the answer is probably "can't say poo poo", but I'm hoping for an Ouroboros/Soul Satellite/any "protect/mixup orbs" super making it in. Please say something like that will make it in. I love my balls.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Fayk posted:

New question, did they ever put in anything to allow life regen or lessened chip for a single-person team?
No, but it's not really needed because you have 200% health and 175% damage when solo compared to a person on a team of 3. It might be the other way around, but you're still a tank when solo.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Liar Lyre posted:

No, but it's not really needed because you have 200% health and 175% damage when solo compared to a person on a team of 3. It might be the other way around, but you're still a tank when solo.

Except, you know, a team of three being more total health and the ability to regen when swapped out as well as potentially give you more options to get in, et cetera.

Yes, though, I'm aware that if you actually get in with Cerebella, you can do monstrous damage.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It's like one random super can kill a character. Perfect example here. Plus snapbacks are an excellent option since you don't have to worry about DHCs. It kinda balances out in the end.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

No. The idea was thrown around several times but the bottom line has always been they don't need it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Even though I'm not big on six-button fighters, I'm still probably gonna get this just so I can run a solo Cerebella team and work towards the glorious state of grappler superiority. I'm willing to sacrifice the ability to get in easily for sheer loving power of everything she does.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

S-Alpha posted:

Even though I'm not big on six-button fighters, I'm still probably gonna get this just so I can run a solo Cerebella team and work towards the glorious state of grappler superiority. I'm willing to sacrifice the ability to get in easily for sheer loving power of everything she does.
You'd be glad to know that she's like Wesker compared to most other grapplers. Armored command dash with fantastic follow ups, pseudo air dash from a held j.hp, and some other fantastic openers make her one of the best grapplers seen in a long time. Along with the unique motion for a command grab and you will have no problem getting in if you play half way decent.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

AXE COP posted:

Do we know how online's going to work, by the way? I'm aware it's GGPO but is it a simple matchmaking system like SF4 or something else?

You know what would make my day? Elo-sorted automatic lobbies, with the option of creating free/open or private invite ones if you prefer.

Seriously, just recreate the GGPO lobby with appropriate adjustments for the (hopefully) larger playerbase and you'll have a better system than any existing commercial fighter.

Failing that, being able to filter out players above a certain ping would be a decent second.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 7, 2012

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

Dias posted:

And I'm still waging it might come out before SSFIV:AE PC gets the 2012 patch, because gently caress Capcom.

I know the answer is probably "can't say poo poo", but I'm hoping for an Ouroboros/Soul Satellite/any "protect/mixup orbs" super making it in. Please say something like that will make it in. I love my balls.

The cool thing is, once Skullgirls is released you'll never have to play SSFIV ever again, because its bad and Skullgirls will be good.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Liar Lyre posted:

It's like one random super can kill a character. Perfect example here. Plus snapbacks are an excellent option since you don't have to worry about DHCs. It kinda balances out in the end.

It's one character vs three. The lone character does way more damage.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
Is it a bit strange for someone like me, who doesn't have a particular interest in fighters, to have Skullgirls as one of his most anticipated new titles this year? I initially found the weird AmericAnime style and character designs to be a bit offputting, but now that the gameplay, quality animations and graphical flourishes have been fleshed out it's grown on me. It's kinda become the Bayonetta of fighting games in my book: not necessarily something you want someone walking in on, but so amazingly fun that you can forgive a lot about it.

It's really a shame that Skullgirls didn't get an official spot in this year's Evo, especially looking at what beat it out. I mean, is there really that much demand for Soul Calibur 5 considering how 4 turned out? Has anyone gotten some real hands-on time and vetted it or was it approved solely under the assumption that people still gave a poo poo?

Lastly, what version are you guys generally going with? I'm usually a PS3 guy myself, but I'm not sure if its going to be as popular as the 360 version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not at EVO because there's no release date, and because the organisers aren't gonna wait around to accommodate an indie game that won't pay when they could give that slot to a non-indie game that will.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not at EVO because there's no release date, and because the organisers aren't gonna wait around to accommodate an indie game that won't pay when they could give that slot to a non-indie game that will.

Ah, that makes sense. Less irritated now, but still a bit disappointed. Oh well, always next year, right?

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

nickmeister posted:

It's one character vs three. The lone character does way more damage.

Also the super is her level 3, so it's not even any worse than a marvel super.

vvv I assumed they were talking about the move that did half of a character's health bar, without being comboed into.

Maximum Chenergy fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 7, 2012

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

BurningNinja posted:

Also the super is her level 3, so it's not even any worse than a marvel super.

Are we talking about the laser because that's a level 1.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Besides, we actually were talking about how much damage a lone character does to a team of three.

Speaking of damage and health, everyone in Skullgirls will have the same base health. Yes, the huge dude with a tank fist has as much endurance as a little girl win an umbrella.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Liar Lyre posted:

Besides, we actually were talking about how much damage a lone character does to a team of three.

Speaking of damage and health, everyone in Skullgirls will have the same base health. Yes, the huge dude with a tank fist has as much endurance as a little girl win an umbrella.

maybe health is an abstraction, like in tabletop games, and actually represents your will to keep fighting, and the little girl has trust in the heart of the cards.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Broken Loose posted:

I've got good news for you: There's a hitstun timer in all the ingame training modes. As in, you hit the opponent, and a bar appears under them that shrinks and changes color as the opponent recovers.

This is awesome for learning the timing of combos. SSF4 had a really terrible version of this on the dummy health bar that was impossible to see, more so because if you had only one frame to do a link there was so little hitstun the bar flew to the other side of the screen and you couldn't time poo poo with it.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Liar Lyre posted:

Is this true? That seems really weird not to have varying health meters. Or are there varied attack/defense ratings like AH3?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SpaceBees posted:

This is awesome for learning the timing of combos. SSF4 had a really terrible version of this on the dummy health bar that was impossible to see, more so because if you had only one frame to do a link there was so little hitstun the bar flew to the other side of the screen and you couldn't time poo poo with it.

This is a myth. It's just an aesthetic flourish, the idea that it represents hitstun first appeared right here in the SA vanilla SF4 thread when somebody posted "I wonder if" and subsequent posters took that to mean it actually was.

EDIT: Unless they changed that between versions but considering you're talking about the health bar flash that was definitely in the first game (and not related to hitstun) it seems unlikely.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I know poo poo all about this game besides what's in the first post. You said a couple characters are like marvel characters, does anyone play like spiral?

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 7, 2012

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is a myth. It's just an aesthetic flourish, the idea that it represents hitstun first appeared right here in the SA vanilla SF4 thread when somebody posted "I wonder if" and subsequent posters took that to mean it actually was.

EDIT: Unless they changed that between versions but considering you're talking about the health bar flash that was definitely in the first game (and not related to hitstun) it seems unlikely.

Regardless if it matches with the hitstun, just having a delayed visual cue like that is something people can use. This is true even if the player mistakenly thinks it matches when it doesn't, because combos are more caveman unconscious/subconscious processes rather than deliberately "I push the button precisely when the bar flashes."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

40 OZ posted:

Regardless if it matches with the hitstun, just having a delayed visual cue like that is something people can use. This is true even if the player mistakenly thinks it matches when it doesn't, because combos are more caveman unconscious/subconscious processes rather than deliberately "I push the button precisely when the bar flashes."

Oh yeah, it's as potentially useful as anything. SF4 just shouldn't get credit for inventing something you could do just as well by watching hitsparks or the combo counter.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh yeah, it's as potentially useful as anything. SF4 just shouldn't get credit for inventing something you could do just as well by watching hitsparks or the combo counter.

I agree. I don't use it either.

Just making the nitpicky point that it doesn't really matter if it matches or not.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Liar Lyre posted:

Yes, and here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcVKMXN7Fto

Basically, different health wasn't a "thing" initially in fighters and it's a really poor mechanism for balance. Mike is the one who has the say in character health and he doesn't give a poo poo about how thematic it may be if it adversely affects gameplay in any way.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

PalmTreeFun posted:

Is this true? That seems really weird not to have varying health meters. Or are there varied attack/defense ratings like AH3?

KoF has equalized health and its nice to be able to remember combos as health percentage.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Mr. Fun posted:

KoF has equalized health and its nice to be able to remember combos as health percentage.

I was just thinking about that, and how it's actually kind of dumb that you would balance a character around needing to be hit more times to die. Like, a character's so bad that they need extra chances to stay alive. See half of the fighting game grapplers out there.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

PalmTreeFun posted:

I was just thinking about that, and how it's actually kind of dumb that you would balance a character around needing to be hit more times to die. Like, a character's so bad that they need extra chances to stay alive. See half of the fighting game grapplers out there.

I dunno i honestly kind of like the really drastic differences - in SF4 you play T. Hawk completely different from how you play seth - but it shouldn't be a super common thing and the dinfferences should probably be more noticeable. I wouldn't mind if like one character had significantly less or more health in relation to the rest of the cast if that was a part of their "gimmick" but having a baseline tha tmost characters at is important.

But yeah half the reason i play t. hawk in sf4 is that he CAN recover if you make too many fuckups/sacrifice a lot of life to get in if he has to, with him it doesn't feel like "he's s o poo poo they had to give him extra life" it feels like "extra life is an important thing this character does but you have to give up some things for it". That's what it should be like.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I remember back on SRK somebody started a huge argument about how character health provided depth and variety and was actually a legitimate balancing mechanism.

I responded with, "By your logic, Dark Phoenix should be the worst character in the game (with the lowest health and it constantly draining) and Thor should be the best character in the game." Before Ultimate came out.

If there was a low health gimmick character (that healed upon hit or something) that would be awesome, and I would totally be behind it. Other than that, health changes never actually work when used for any other purpose.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
As someone who played Chipp many years ago, I say bring on the equal health.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Countblanc posted:

As someone who played Chipp many years ago, I say bring on the equal health.

The first fighting game match I ever played was Chipp vs. Potemkin.

I'm right there with you.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The first fighting game match I ever played was Chipp vs. Potemkin.

I'm right there with you.

I feel for you, I really do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I feel for you, I really do.

<-- You can see what it did to my future playstyle and character selection.

• Locked thread