Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Inflation is out of control and must be brought in hand. Without wisdom dictating our monetary policy, how can we ensure our nation stays great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Wiz posted:

In exchange, it unlocks the Nationalism CB (which lets us take Turkic culture provinces held by non-Turkic culture countries)
Which cultures counts as Turkic, is it just the Altaic group from vanilla?

Anyway, going to vote for A since Allah hates interest.

And yeees, burn Armenia burn.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Turkic group:
code:
turkic = {
	turkish = {
		primary = SRU
	}
	azerbadjani = {
		primary = AZE
	}	
	uralic = {
	}	
	turkmeni = {
		primary = KHI
	}
	uzbehk = {
		primary = BUK
	}
	khazak = {
		primary = KZH
	}
	kirgiz = {
		primary = CHG
	}
	siberian = {
		primary = SIB
	}	
	tartar = {
		primary = GOL
	}
	astrakhani = {
		primary = AST
	}
	kazani = {
		primary = KAZ
	}
	nogai = {
		primary = KHW
	}
	uighur = {
		primary = QUR
	}

dynasty_names = {
		Karamanli Mentesoglu Ramazanoglu Saruhanoglu Dulkadiroglu Candarli Aydinoglu 
		"Koyunlu" "Chagatayid" "Edigüid" "Giray" "Shaybanid" Ildeguzid
	}
}

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
An awesome update! I love the new sultan. Spending his nights discussing with philosophers and wise men? Hell yes. It's obvious that the constitutional monarchy is the way to go. The shura has hoarded Azeri power long enough!

It's a tough choice between A and B, but I figure A will be what benefits us the most in the long run, so;

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Wiz posted:

code:
	dynasty_names = {
		Karamanli Mentesoglu Ramazanoglu Saruhanoglu Dulkadiroglu Candarli Aydinoglu 
		"Koyunlu" "Chagatayid" "Edigüid" "Giray" "Shaybanid" Ildeguzid
	}
}

Time to add another name to that list, I think.

Also, I keep looking over at the maps of our new territories. So drat satisfying.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I love Azerbaijan. :allears: Although our borders aren't particularly nice now.

As for the legislation:

What on earth are Smithian economics? Is that guy even born yet? Plenty of time to revolutionise our economy in the future - for now, it needs the stabilising influence of the national bank.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Improve our economy, and we need not mint as much as we do now. Smithian economics can tackle our inflations problems as well as improve our economic situation.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

John Charity Spring posted:

I love Azerbaijan. :allears: Although our borders aren't particularly nice now.

As for the legislation:

What on earth are Smithian economics? Is that guy even born yet? Plenty of time to revolutionise our economy in the future - for now, it needs the stabilising influence of the national bank.

I was wondering who'd be the first to rip on me about the borders. Armenia moved their capital to Cyprus, so hopefully I'll get a mission to take Adana and clean them up.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

YF-23 posted:

Improve our economy, and we need not mint as much as we do now. Smithian economics can tackle our inflations problems as well as improve our economic situation.

I barely mint for the most part. It was that war against Armenia that forced me to mint a lot to pay for mercenaries and maintain things at 30 war exhaustion. I think I got 5 or 6 inflation from that war.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mo' money, fewer problems.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
I'm gonna vote Because I'm gay for tech cost redution in this game, also Ron Paul Evil of central banking whatever. Vetting might be nice to take from a story perspective because we seem to get a lot of corruption-related events, which I'm assuming wiz has tied to whether a country has vetting or not. Vote changed to .

At any rate The Azerbaijan also rises! Russia's got good reason to be scared of our expansion, if we take the right provinces we can take control of the strait into the black sea and strangle Russia's trade! The only problem with our situation is how close persia is coming to stopping our expansion down the coast towards jerusalem and our ancestral territories in egypt. What is that large purple nation down there anyway?

LordBaxter fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 7, 2012

Slow Loris
Nov 7, 2005

Please sir, may I have some more?

LordBaxter posted:

Vetting might be nice to take from a story perspective because we seem to get a lot of corruption-related events, which I'm assuming wiz has tied to whether a country has vetting or not.

Wiz's flavor text for vetting made it sound like it takes down an authoritarian path, too.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Edit: changed vote.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 7, 2012

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

The Narrator posted:

It was between A or B, and the arguments over the past couple of pages (as well as minting being the exception rather than the rule) have swayed me. May Azerbaijan become an industrial powerhouse!
Modernizers! :argh:

Wiz posted:

Turkic group:
Azerbaijans destiny is clear, it must conquer Siberia!

Oh, and does Armenia only have a single Armenian-cultured province left now?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Adana and Cyprus are both Armenian. They may have one or two more.

Slow Loris
Nov 7, 2005

Please sir, may I have some more?
Out of curiosity, Wiz: how has Ikko-Ikki changed since the start? In terms of sliders, NIs, and tech, how would you characterize their society at this point? I'm really intrigued by the idea of a peasant/religious rebellion establishing a stable and successful government and how it would evolve over hundreds of years of expansion against the more traditional daiymos. Speaking of, how does Date fit into the whole shogun/daiymo/emperor scheme? Has that basically collapsed?

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
We'd be crackers not to go with .

Wiz, out of interest (:downsrim:) how many loans do we have out, if any?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I never let inflation go above 5 if I can help it. 16 is an abomination.

Manic Mole
Aug 21, 2007

last in line when they were handing out the gravitas

gonna keep voting for this untill it wins.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slow Loris posted:

Out of curiosity, Wiz: how has Ikko-Ikki changed since the start? In terms of sliders, NIs, and tech, how would you characterize their society at this point? I'm really intrigued by the idea of a peasant/religious rebellion establishing a stable and successful government and how it would evolve over hundreds of years of expansion against the more traditional daiymos. Speaking of, how does Date fit into the whole shogun/daiymo/emperor scheme? Has that basically collapsed?

Date is the Shogun. As for Ikko-Ikki, have a look for yourself:

Jihad Joe posted:

We'd be crackers not to go with .

Wiz, out of interest (:downsrim:) how many loans do we have out, if any?

None. I might start taking some during war instead of minting if we get National Bank to bring interest down.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I loving hate inflation

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Hail the new dynasty!

I almost always choose National Bank first and if not then it comes second. It certainly should not appear 270.25 years down the line.

America: Norwegian and English colonies meet.

Africa: Morocco loses territory to independence of minor. Algeria takes an Egyptian province, and Tunisia declares independence from Egypt. Mali absorbs a minor and grabs another province from its eastern neighbor. Two Swahili provinces return to Mutapa? The province splitting Ethiopia gains another of its provinces. Nubia also declares independence.

Europe: Burgundy takes two provinces from Lorraine. Hungary absorbs a minor.

Oceania: Spain fills out the Australian interior and the NZ south. The Netherlands lands in New Guinea/Irian Jaya.

Asia: Azerbaijan takes 7 Armenian provinces. Zhen absorbs Tibet. To the southwest of the absorbed Tibetan territory the minor that absorbed another minor and took a province from a much larger minor in northeast India takes most of the larger neighbor's remaining territory, thus completely reversing the situation from two decades ago. One of the Burmese polities expands by taking a province each from two other Burmese polities. The polity at and to the south of Tienjin (light grey) takes the northern half from the more inland polity at and north of Tienjin (green). Russia expands with one colony at the base of the Kamchatkan peninsula and another in the south of Yakutsk.

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 8, 2012

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Being able to mint without crippling yourself is really good!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

16. Jesus. The worst number. Too much for inflation, and not enough for the courts. We need to sort that OUT.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Ikko-Ikki looks like a pretty fascinating place; a highly-militarised, freedom-loving monk's paradise dominated by merchants. Would make a pretty interesting ideology come Vicky 2. In comparison, Wiz, is Date more or less a standard feudal Japanese daimyo?

Am I the only one hoping the split Japan lasts for a while longer at least? It'd be fantastic to see Japan's fate become this timeline's equivalent of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Game, with different colonial powers supporting Date or Ikko-Ikki for their own commercial or strategic interests.

Russia is truly terrifying, Mürsel better know what he's doing if he goes poking the bear.

Is Burgundy at all set up to get into the colonial game? I've forgotten if they ever owned colonies, but I am surprised to see a lack of overseas holdings considering they're slightly smaller than OTL France. Are they focusing on the continent (uniting their cultural borders first), or are there domestic issues preventing a war or so on?

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

Bring hyperinflation under control by enforcing Shariah law and finally abolishing the odious practice of interest.

EDIT:

quote:

Ikko-Ikki looks like a pretty fascinating place; a highly-militarised, freedom-loving monk's paradise dominated by merchants. Would make a pretty interesting ideology come Vicky 2.
Maybe Ikko-Ikki would be this world's version of communism?

Servant fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 7, 2012

Hafl
Mar 17, 2009

Why yes, I am a crazy cat lady.

Inflation gets better if you have more money, right?

(It's probably too early for maximum Weimar, but we can try.)

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Full steam ahead!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Time to rail in our inflation problems. We've put it off for too long now.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

16 inflation is ridiculous.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Guys, if we have more money that translates to less minting as well. It's more flexible in terms of positive inflation which we need since we need to invest in our economy to eradicate the need for inflation. I realize there's a difference between holding off inflation and reducing it, but it doesn't apply when you'd end up using the negative inflation to mint money. And hell, do you really want National Bank when it comes in 1670? If selection National Bank in 1430 for full efficiency is the baseline then 1670 is 40% effectiveness.

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 7, 2012

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

cwDeici posted:

Guys, if we have more money that translates to less minting as well. It's more flexible. I realize there's a difference between holding off inflation and reducing it, but at this point in time we need money so investments will be more effective than national bank over time. And hell, you really want National Bank when it comes in with only 40% of its worth left.

Anyway I'm pretty sure B is going to win despite it being a bit close, so I guess I don't really have to make this argument.

More money just means we can stop minting, so inflation won't increase. National bank means we can decrease our current high inflation - otherwise Wiz needs to rely on unreliably-sourced masters of mint.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

We go with B but our Glorious Ruler He Who Crushed those Armenian Assholes must take steps to reduce our inflation. Big Steps, also lets get some loving TRAINS.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."

I know it's unpopular, but do we want rebels messing up our recent gains?

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

John Charity Spring posted:

More money just means we can stop minting, so inflation won't increase. National bank means we can decrease our current high inflation - otherwise Wiz needs to rely on unreliably-sourced masters of mint.

Inflation is an abomination (as a NB supporter just said) and National Bank is the first idea I select 80% of the time when I'm not roleplaying (the remaining 20% being NTP or SCP). Now it is too late. Smithsonian Economics is more effective for the remaining time we have left, that's why it's a late NI, and will eliminate our need to mint and boost our ability to build and research. The alternative is minting less money at 10% than we'd profit with SE to pay for buildings + less tech and so we'd end up with 0% inflation anyway unless Wiz restrains economic development to reduce inflation which would be even worse than the difference in efficiency between those two ideas at this stage.

To summarize... I love the hell out of National Bank and have it as the first idea... but 60% into its lifespan is simply too late.

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 7, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

cwDeici posted:

Inflation is an abomination (as a NB supporter just said) and National Bank is the first idea I select 80% of the time when I'm not roleplaying (the remaining 20% being NTP or SCP). Now it is too late. Smithsonian Economics is more effective for the remaining time we have left, that's why it's a late NI, and will eliminate our need to mint and boost our ability to build and research. The alternative is minting less money at 10% (but with less profit and tech than SE) to pay for buildings and we'd end up with 0% inflation anyway unless Wiz restrains economic development to reduce inflation which would be even worse than the difference in efficiency between those two ideas at this stage.

To summarize... I love the hell out of National Bank and have it every month of my games unless I need the slot for something else... but 60% into its lifespan is simply too late.

a 15% increase in production efficency is HUGE, huge, HUUUUGE money, thus we won't need to mint anymore, especially with all the new land we just got to produce with.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

a 15% increase in production efficency is HUGE, huge, HUUUUGE money, thus we won't need to mint anymore, especially with all the new land we just got to produce with.

Uh, it's only monthly and not yearly income so unless you mint you don't see any of it in the treasury. It's maybe a 10% monthly income increase in total, so I guess I can mint at 0.04 instead of 0.05?

Smithian Economics is great and all but let's not let our imaginations run completely wild.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 7, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Wiz posted:

Uh, it's only monthly and not yearly income so unless you mint you don't see any of it in the treasury. It's maybe a 10% monthly income increase in total, so I guess I can mint at 0.04 instead of 0.05?

Smithian Economics is great and all but let's not let our imaginations run completely wild.

Mint at 0.00 :colbert: we can afford some spending cutbacks now that the Armenian menace is crushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

We also still have ~150 years left and plenty of room for more NIs later on.

• Locked thread