Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Yeah after my physics MS is complete, the PhD paths will be almost identical, so I think I'll go with the one with the greater job opportunity. Can't predict the future, sure, but the situation with physics doesn't look like it can get much better in the next 4-6 years and with an EE PhD Ill likely be eligible for both. Or if its a local friendly situation, it won't matter regardless.

I do appreciate the advice though. Im starting to develop a vision of what is possible for my future. Before it was dark and bleary and a bunch of post doc positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

CaptainScraps posted:

K. Signed a lease. Got a case or two. Firm opens Monday. Woooo.

Where do you practice again?

Also, phil, do you get constitutionalists? What do you do with constitutionalists? I think they're goddamn hilarious and get all their cases hard assigned to me in exchange for me avoiding the lovely judge in my jurisdiction.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 7, 2012

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

HiddenReplaced posted:

Yeah, I'm sure they'll have something to say once they ask for your updated transcript.

I'm 90% sure you're kidding but I'm also 10% terrified.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Holland Oats posted:

I'm kidding!...or am I?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Now I'm 15% angry.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Holland Oats posted:

While I heartily approve of HR loving with your head, no firm will withdraw your firm over a B. You would have to gently caress up epicly to get that far

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

BigHead posted:

Where do you practice again?

Doing Dallas, which means a ton of cities surrounding Dallas. However, since my boss went through a string of paralegals last year (who I treated very nicely; seriously, be nice to support staff), I've got gals at several firms telling me they'll send me overflow from Austin and Abilene.

I'll also do Houston/San Antonio if the case is right.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 7, 2012

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm impressed - starting a new firm would terrify me.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ersatz posted:

I'm impressed - starting a new firm would terrify me.

Don't be too impressed. I've got a number of people around town willing to make sure I don't gently caress up too badly.

And I'd say a year from now, I'll have bitched and asked enough questions in this thread that you can search my posts and be able to start your own pretty easily.

I've also soiled a number of pairs of pants.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Good luck Scraps, I'll likely be joining you in the scary world of solo practice this fall.

Up here we have a nice safety net in that new calls (hell, anyone) can work as per diem duty counsel. Basically a PD that gets paid $700/day to sit in set-date court. Scoring just 3 shifts a month would net me more than my current income, and I would be free to hustle for clients the rest of the time.

edit: but I'll be doing crim which means all I need is a car, cell phone, laptop and fax machine/copier/printer.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Up here we have a nice safety net in that new calls (hell, anyone) can work as per diem duty counsel. Basically a PD that gets paid $700/day to sit in set-date court. Scoring just 3 shifts a month would net me more than my current income, and I would be free to hustle for clients the rest of the time.

You guys get $700/day to be docket bitch? Jeez. I think our legal aid gives you $750/summary trial. I'm fantastic at adjourning court dates for people. I should move to Ontario.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Good luck Scraps, I'll likely be joining you in the scary world of solo practice this fall.

edit: but I'll be doing crim which means all I need is a car, cell phone, laptop and fax machine/copier/printer.

That's awesome man.

I met with a guy about 3 weeks ago who dropped out of a huge plaintiff's firm whose partner flew John Edwards around the country to meet with his mistress. The dude was making 1/4 of his old salary and said he'd never been happier.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Penguins Like Pies posted:

You guys get $700/day to be docket bitch? Jeez. I think our legal aid gives you $750/summary trial. I'm fantastic at adjourning court dates for people. I should move to Ontario.

Yeah, my boss pays my entire articling salary working a couple of per diem shifts every month. I think they pay based on your tariff, which for Legal Aid Ontario starts at $89/hour and goes up to $104 or so a few years post-call.

I'm not sure exactly what the fee is for a summary trial here, but we have a few degrees of offences that pay more or less. So a domestic assault will pay significantly less than an armed robbery.

At any rate, legal aid work here is a fantastic way for new calls to get by, especially because experienced lawyers don't waste their time with those files and send them over to others. If, on average, I'm making $800-$1500 off each file, I only need a handful of clients per month to make decent bank. I already got a few clients on my own just by standing around outside a first appearance courtroom looking official, so it can't be terribly hard to keep that going until the clients bring themselves in.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Magic of Legal Aid Ontario

That sounds wonderful. Our Legal Aid lost of bunch of funding last year due to the market crashing so our crim lawyers have been trying to raise funding, protest to the government, etc. It's a shame because when it hit the news, the readers comments were "Greedy lawyers want more money. Duhrrrrr." What they don't understand is that there's been an increase in unrepresented accused individuals since they don't qualify for Legal Aid anymore but they also can't afford a lawyer. Legal Aid here is steady income but nothing crazy.

As a lawyer here once said to me, "You can't get rich off Legal Aid."

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Penguins Like Pies posted:

As a lawyer here once said to me, "You can't get rich off Legal Aid."

Well, it depends what you define as 'rich', but LAO has a billing limit of $290k/year, or a billable hour limit of 2350. I don't know any lawyers who practice exclusively LAO files, but I do know that the solo crim practitioners here generally make $80k-$200k depending on how much work they feel like putting in.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
First semester of 2L update: Grades came in. Despite finding Reddit for the first time at the start of the semester, and going back to WoW halfway through the semester, and being on a journal and in a clinic, my GPA stayed the exact same as my 1L GPA (which was pretty great).

Dropped by all of 0.003.

:coal:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

LAO has a billing limit of $290k/year, or a billable hour limit of 2350.
The people doing this are probably pawning off much of the motion work on contract attorneys.
Around here, the only way you make really good money on conflict defender type work is death penalty. For successful attorneys, non-DP cases are just filler that keeps the lights on until the next retained client's appearance.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

The people doing this are probably pawning off much of the motion work on contract attorneys.
Around here, the only way you make really good money on conflict defender type work is death penalty. For successful attorneys, non-DP cases are just filler that keeps the lights on until the next retained client's appearance.

I know a kid who is same year as me (green as poo poo) and he got a $100something thousand dollar PD conflict contract. Well, he got hired onto a solo's firm specifically to handle the PD conflict $120k poo poo. But, still, he's getting paid like 70 of the 120k just to handle it. The main attorney "keeps all A felonies and above," (a.k.a. zero cases) and every other case goes to this green as poo poo kid.

The solo attorney bid it (it's merit, not lowest bidder) and then he hired this dude to take all the PD work because gently caress that. Then he just profited the $50ish thousand dollar difference. It's awesome.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 7, 2012

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

Around here, for a conflict attorney, everything up to murder pays a maximum of $500. Non-capital murders pay a max of $1500, and capital cases pay a maximum of $3000.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

joat mon posted:

Around here, for a conflict attorney, everything up to murder pays a maximum of $500. Non-capital murders pay a max of $1500, and capital cases pay a maximum of $3000.
Jesus, that is terrible. Around here, the caps are low, like $60/hr ($1000 max) for a misdo, but not that insane. What kind of crappy attorneys does that attract?
DP here has no maximum as at some point some wise person decided that was a bad idea. There is a judge who approves anything for them and he does approve anything because denying anything makes the appeals court angry.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
[qoute="joan mot"] stuff about aesops fables on lawyers[/quote]

Thank you for posting this, awesome stuff

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Is DP that common in CA? I thought that outside of Texas, the total caseload for that kind of work was something like a few dozen cases throughout the whole rest of the country, and they got extremely well qualified lawyers to do it pro bono or through well-funded nonprofits.

beeradvocate
Dec 24, 2010
Hi, forum. Anyone in here from the midwest, the Cleveland area?
I've noticed a few comments about doc review being the destructor of careers, but anyone think it's actually useful for companies to have someone who really knows how to keep privilege?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

beeradvocate posted:

I've noticed a few comments about doc review being the destructor of careers, but anyone think it's actually useful for companies to have someone who really knows how to keep privilege?

Doc review has nothing to do with the practice of law and will not help you at all when you apply for attorney positions.

There are 3 possible outcomes for the doc reviewer:
1) doc review the rest of your life or until you find a non-legal career
2) use the flexibility to start your own law firm
3) use it to pay rent until you can network like crazy to find a real job, better to say your unemployed than doing doc-review to those with which you'd network.

That said, I'm using it for #2. The hours are great, pay is ok, and lack of any office BS is amazing.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

beeradvocate posted:

Search craigslist for E-discovery Analyst positions or compliance. Those and "staff attorneys" are the only promotions I have ever heard of in the document review circuit. From what my friends have told me, any recent 4th tier grad can learn how to code the privilege log for $12/hr. Lawyers really do turn their nose up at anyone with document review on their resume.

Also, if you do the Roger_Mudd thing then you could eventually go on unemployment while you manage your solo practice. You either do doc review to prepare for Plan B, or you get comfortable clicking that mouse button.

GamingOdor fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 8, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Konstantin posted:

Is DP that common in CA? I thought that outside of Texas, the total caseload for that kind of work was something like a few dozen cases throughout the whole rest of the country, and they got extremely well qualified lawyers to do it pro bono or through well-funded nonprofits.
Depends on the county.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just curious, since I don't remember where you work, but where on this table would you fit?

http://usptocareers.gov/Pages/Misc/SalaryRates.aspx

I'm a 13-2 right now, but overtime is fairly significant.

e: and bonuses cover the rest

Like I said, I work from home now (although I can see the office out of my bedroom window), but I could work anywhere in the country (even guam i guess) if I were so inclined.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 8, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kudaros posted:

I'm probably going to go ahead for my PhD, probably switch into EE. I'll be doing the exact same thing academically, but with a different title which is more employable. I loving love research. Usually.

But there is still the likelihood I'll want to end up in patent law. Suppose I applied, with my PhD, to patent examination - what would that change? Anything? Would it hurt/help?

Also, is law school actually necessary for becoming a patent prosecutor? I know of one individual with that title who just has his M.S. in chemistry and passed the bar.

How much worse is your quality of life, exactly, Ersatz? What is your week like?

We're desperate for people who can speak english and have good technical skills and an applicable bachelors. A PhD won't hurt.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
A well paying federal agency desperate for people who can speak english?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kudaros posted:

A well paying federal agency desperate for people who can speak english?

It's the combination of legal skills and technical skills I guess.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

We're desperate for people who can speak english and have good technical skills and an applicable bachelors. A PhD won't hurt.

I applied out of law school and never heard a peep from the PTO. :(

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

You're not currently hiring, as far as I can tell.

http://usptocareers.gov/Pages/PEPositions/Jobs.aspx - "Currently, we have no available vacancies for Patent Examiner positions."

Konquest
Jan 12, 2008
The latest round of postings just closed. The PTO is trying to hire a ton of examiners this year so they will probably post new listings soon.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I want to examine patents. Where are some patents for me to examine. From my house for $98,000 plus overtime (lol) and bonus.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm a 13-2 right now, but overtime is fairly significant.

How the gently caress are you not classified as exempt? That's ridiculous. I'm writing my congressman.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Seriously how can you have overtime when you work from home?

"Today I put in 15 hours I swear"

"K here's your check lol"

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Seriously how can you have overtime when you work from home?

"Today I put in 15 hours I swear"

"K here's your check lol"
It's not really on an hours basis. I think he is responsible for a given number of "counts" - I am guessing that counts over that threshold -> more money.

He may even only work 40 hours per week.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Let's kill him.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

diospadre posted:

Let's kill him.
Failure to mention wearing his skin and collecting his paycheck? This thread is slipping.

CaptainScraps posted:

Major props and good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

To tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.