Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Bummer the lobby crashed on us. I'll probably be back on later tonight. Hope everyone was having fun, at least

E: Maybe, just maybe, I'll bother to dig my mic out of the closet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
It's nice to know that after not playing online for a while (since Skyrim) I haven't gotten any worse at virtual driving. The problem is that I haven't gotten any better either...

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I haven't seen it mentioned in the drift discussion yet, but the number one thing (for me) to make it easier is to use normal steering instead of simulation. Obviously you want all the other assists turned off, but for some reason simulation steering makes it really difficult to go full opposite lock during a drift. If you haven't already, at least give it a try.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ColdPie posted:

Bummer the lobby crashed on us. I'll probably be back on later tonight. Hope everyone was having fun, at least

E: Maybe, just maybe, I'll bother to dig my mic out of the closet

Yeah, that was a shame. Thanks for the invite :)

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Alright, time to whore-out some of the things on my storefront :)

1: Classic Sirocco, rat look with Karma Coffee primary sponsor.

Supdercharged Death Camaro, my loyal beastie

Benson & Hedges GOLD Datsun

Karma Coffee Pinto

Rat look "NO PARKING" Rabbit and "POLICE LINE" BMW

And Rusty Slammington

They're all up on the storefront (Captain Hair57) and tagged with lljk for ease of finding. Searching for Karma Coffee probly finds it too. Anyway they're all there for 50k each I think. And if any goons want them unlocked its no problem either, just send a message (text not audio please) to my xbox thingamajig.

Anyone else care to share anything they have on their stores?

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 8, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish there was some sort of firmware hack for Logitech wheels that magically make them work on the Xbox 360. If such thing is even remotely possible (it isn't). The things I would do for a wheel that works on the 360. It's so frustrating though when I have a perfectly capable wheel laying right by me right now, and plugging it into the 360 does nothing because it's by a manufacturer that Microsoft doesn't want to support.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Hey guys, the next turn in Infineon is over this way, right?

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/5udAX.jpg][/timg]

Oh. I guess it's not.

Good thing this bump and that wall are there to stop me!

Well, at least nobody else was as stup- oh god.

General Probe Somebody felt like he was being left out and decided to join in! :downs:

And here come contestants 4 and 5! :haw:

Full stupidity can be viewed here: http://youtu.be/aVidrGd26pU

This all happened because I'm reliant on a braking line and, obviously, being off course there wasn't one for me to look at. :downs: That everybody else had followed me, though... well, that's special. :D

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 8, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I never screw up on that corner, instead I always screw up on the corner just before the starting line.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Slight correction, there, I'm actually the Pinto not the TT. I remember thinking at the time that they must've changed the layout of the track or something or added a new one in the month I didn't play because OH poo poo WALL

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011

LiquidRain posted:

Hey guys, the next turn in Infineon is over this way, right?

I'm glad you posted this. I can't believe everyone that was racing hit that wall. I'm the upside down GTO in the video!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
There's nothing more satisfying than entering a corner too hot, saving it, and watching the people behind you plow into a wall because they were staring at your rear end.

It makes me feel sexy.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

I said come in! posted:

I never screw up on that corner, instead I always screw up on the corner just before the starting line.

My fastest laps of the race are almost universally the first lap where tires come up to temp and then again two or three laps before the finish (unless those converge on lap two out of three or four).

This is especially awesome in games that rubberband. :argh:

Forza seems to do some stealthy work here, but in singleplayer I learned to just turn damage off and brake check or fake-out hesitate in the final corners to win back some room. In most games it's pretty much just riding the shove from the car behind me for the whole final lap. Definite improvement.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

VikingSkull posted:

There's nothing more satisfying than entering a corner too hot, saving it, and watching the people behind you plow into a wall because they were staring at your rear end.

It makes me feel sexy.

This happens to me almost every time I'm in one of my Lotus cars. Problem is I then have to hope I can round the bend fast enough not to get hit...

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Because Turn 10 doesnt know how cars work and made it a transmission option.

Cry for help from new AUGR member:
Am i doing this "American iron" thing wrong? I took a stock 2002 trans am and did the math, with the horsepower the car makes and all the useless parts i can tack on (18 inch widest wheels) im still about 80 pounds away from the minimum weight, and cant install braking or chassis upgrades because that makes it even lighter. And with no anti rollbar upgrades or brakes im worried about my ability to race cleanly without taking fellow goon racers out.

320 X 11.4 = ~3700 pounds. All stock parts with giant wheels and bodykits (which make it much slower than stock, btw) only bring it up to 3630. Meanwhile someone in a C6 Z06 is going to cream me.

Quoting this again because I'm running into similar problems on 3 different cars- the Nova SS, Plymouth GTX, and Pontiac G8. On the G8, with only the required parts installed, hp is 415 torques are 415 as well. Weight sits at 4133.

So 415 * 11.4 = 4731. There's no way I can fit 600 pounds onto this car.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yea something is really wrong I tried a new car (68 firebird non trans am) which weighs 3400 pounds stock. With it's unmodified power level the formula wants me to throw on another !!!500 pounds!!!, which I don't even think is possible. I thought making the other car legal was impossible but this was my second attempt.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I couldn't use my original AI car, but I did manage to build one that makes the new requirements. If Jabs did what I think he did for the formula, it's right, but it could be closer to 11.2.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

Quoting this again because I'm running into similar problems on 3 different cars- the Nova SS, Plymouth GTX, and Pontiac G8. On the G8, with only the required parts installed, hp is 415 torques are 415 as well. Weight sits at 4133.

So 415 * 11.4 = 4731. There's no way I can fit 600 pounds onto this car.
There was something about 'simulating' driveline losses by taking 20% off the power figure, did you try that?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
So I was going to make the fiat top gear POLIZIA livery but turns out a perfect one is already on the storefront, now I'm left knowing not what to do with myself.

So, does anyone know of any good classic racing liveries websites that have pictures good enough to make vinyls off of? All I'm finding is low-res stuff that only tends to show 1 side of a car. I guess I could just make up stuff too, but I thought I'd ask incase anyone has any good suggestions as though I'm decent with the vinyl editor I'm pretty poor at full racing-look liveries and need imspiration :(

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Captain Hair posted:

So I was going to make the fiat top gear POLIZIA livery but turns out a perfect one is already on the storefront, now I'm left knowing not what to do with myself.

So, does anyone know of any good classic racing liveries websites that have pictures good enough to make vinyls off of? All I'm finding is low-res stuff that only tends to show 1 side of a car. I guess I could just make up stuff too, but I thought I'd ask incase anyone has any good suggestions as though I'm decent with the vinyl editor I'm pretty poor at full racing-look liveries and need imspiration :(

http://www.racingsportscars.com/ is pretty good, just go to the cars section and find a ton of real liveries for each one listed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oopsies :v:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Edmund Honda posted:

There was something about 'simulating' driveline losses by taking 20% off the power figure, did you try that?

:doh: Totally forgot about that. I don't think it's mentioned on Jabs' webpage, either. I'll give it a shot after dinner.

e: That was the issue, thanks.

e2: The GTX has too much torque to be eligible, FYI

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 9, 2012

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Got the Fanatec CSR, and the adjustment process was really painful, with lots of fiddling to find the right settings. I'm very happy with it now, but I think it'll be a while longer before I'll be able to catch tailspins as well on 900 degress as I could on 270. On the other hand, there's more nuance to the control and feedback, so it's easier to not spin out in the first place while driving just a tad closer to the edge - I'm already starting to beat my old times.

And on the subject of driving on the edge: Gotta ride that curb, son.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you driving with normal or simulation steering? It's impossible to avoid a spin with simulation steering and 900 degrees. Something about how Forza accepts the input of the wheel. It has not much linearity at the center, and then ramps it up crazy at the edges. So you can't quickly save your spin unless you turn the wheel like crazy in which case you'll probably go too far and screw it up. 270 degrees is really easy to deal with. You can still spin out, but its easier to control.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
This may not be the right place 100% but it is Forza related.

I had the G27 before Forza for GT5 replaced by the Turbo-S wheel so I could go multiplatform. I am starting to wonder if something is wrong my wheel because it has little to no FF back so far its seeming. I get some slight resistance while steering and the wheel goes heavy but its lacking the force or the extra feedback my G27 had with GT5/rFactor/iRacing.

With the G27 I could feel the bumps in the road or for instance if I ran my car into a barrier I would feel it impact through the wheel, I feel none of that in forza with the Turbo-S wheel.

Have I done something wrong or is it just a bad wheel? I should probably take it downstairs and try it on my PC.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Cojawfee posted:

Are you driving with normal or simulation steering? It's impossible to avoid a spin with simulation steering and 900 degrees. Something about how Forza accepts the input of the wheel. It has not much linearity at the center, and then ramps it up crazy at the edges. So you can't quickly save your spin unless you turn the wheel like crazy in which case you'll probably go too far and screw it up. 270 degrees is really easy to deal with. You can still spin out, but its easier to control.

I drive with simulation steering. I tried going back to normal, but it feels like that does more than just help with spin recovery, the cars just feel livelier under sim steering. Although maybe that's just self-deception. 270 degrees and sim steering also does the trick, but it seems like as long as I avoid spinning out, the added fine control under 900 degrees gets me faster lap times. I'll play around with it some more, mabye 540 is a workable compromise.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even with F class cars, I just can't drive 900 degrees with sim steering and not spin out. 270 degrees and I'm better than I am with a controller. There just doesn't seem like there is enough quick control available with 900 degrees. I guess I need to mess with the linearity setting. But the game's default is 270 (this gets about 1:1 movement with the in game wheel), so I use that.

Impatient Lobster
Jan 9, 2012
Exactly how hard is this game without the driving assists? I played Forza 3 very briefly but with assists on. It felt a little too easy, like it was holding my hand the whole time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Impatient Lobster posted:

Exactly how hard is this game without the driving assists? I played Forza 3 very briefly but with assists on. It felt a little to easy, like it was holding my hand the whole time.

I play with a gamepad, and no assists turned on and I do pretty good. I can be competitive online basically, assuming everyone drives cleanly. I think with a gamepad though, there are still hidden assists. Don't be afraid to drive with no assists, I think Forza 4 does this better then any other racing sim to date, and more importantly does it realistically. Other sims take a hard = realism! approach, which is completely wrong for way to many reasons to list here.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Cojawfee posted:

Even with F class cars, I just can't drive 900 degrees with sim steering and not spin out. 270 degrees and I'm better than I am with a controller. There just doesn't seem like there is enough quick control available with 900 degrees. I guess I need to mess with the linearity setting. But the game's default is 270 (this gets about 1:1 movement with the in game wheel), so I use that.

Try Lin 20, that did the trick for me. I did a few more rounds, and I think I'm going with 720. That gives me enough room for small mistakes at least. To be fair, on 270 it always seemed a bit too easy to regain control anyway.

As an aside, this test suggests that the FF setting on the wheel doesn't decrease FF across the whole range, but rather clips the amplitude. So it's better to reduce FF with ingame settings.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

GhostDog posted:

I drive with simulation steering. I tried going back to normal, but it feels like that does more than just help with spin recovery, the cars just feel livelier under sim steering. Although maybe that's just self-deception. 270 degrees and sim steering also does the trick, but it seems like as long as I avoid spinning out, the added fine control under 900 degrees gets me faster lap times. I'll play around with it some more, mabye 540 is a workable compromise.
The game currently has a messed up linearity curve if you use any rotation over 270, I find 900 degrees pretty good but if you start going lower like 540 it is easier to countersteer I guess but gets crazy sensitive near the wheel center. I use 900 and I'd bump your DRI setting up to 3-4 and your FFB to 100 (decrease it in game if you want to) this will help the wheel autorotate in a slide so you can sort of let the wheel find its own angle then catch it like a real car.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Jarf posted:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/ is pretty good, just go to the cars section and find a ton of real liveries for each one listed.

Oh. my. GOD.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Normal steering removes any challenge at all in Forza, once I tried it I realized why my controller-using friends never ever ever ever lose control of their cars, ever.

The newest firmware will fix all of those issues with the lack of feedback around the center (which is what makes it very difficult to recover rear end grip loss with greater than 270 steering degree options) - 721b is amazingly improved over 715, and 715 was better than what's currently available for CSR/Porsche wheels.

Greater-than-270 steering is usable again, basically.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Captain Hair posted:

Alright, time to whore-out some of the things on my storefront :)

1: Classic Sirocco, rat look with Karma Coffee primary sponsor.

Supdercharged Death Camaro, my loyal beastie

Benson & Hedges GOLD Datsun

Karma Coffee Pinto

Rat look "NO PARKING" Rabbit and "POLICE LINE" BMW

And Rusty Slammington

They're all up on the storefront (Captain Hair57) and tagged with lljk for ease of finding. Searching for Karma Coffee probly finds it too. Anyway they're all there for 50k each I think. And if any goons want them unlocked its no problem either, just send a message (text not audio please) to my xbox thingamajig.

Anyone else care to share anything they have on their stores?

These are incredible

I'm still just playing this single player since I put all my Play To Win energy into Call of Duty and have an enormously difficult time competing with people that have wheel/pedal setups and also are much better at this than me. It's really pissing me off that all the races in single player are so short, if I have it on a higher difficulty I end up having to clobber the absolute poo poo out of the other cars because you have like two laps or whatever to get from 8th place or whatever to the lead. I'll probably start doing the private race thing but I want to be able to pause the game =\

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Two free DLC cars to coincide with the NAIAS unveiling of the new Hyundai Veloster Turbo. So you get that car and the Rhys Millen Racing version of it. Neato.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Hello Spaceman posted:

Two free DLC cars to coincide with the NAIAS unveiling of the new Hyundai Veloster Turbo. So you get that car and the Rhys Millen Racing version of it. Neato.

Have a Hyundai Veloster Bonus Pack video too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jN0bWEKpyk

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Only a week and a half and I am back yay... yeah, nobody cares.

Anyway, I just decided to hop on here and post about my stepdad's new motorsports group, Independent Motorsports Group, or IMG.

Anyway, rather than come on here and just make a shameless plug about an IRL motorsports group in a virtual motorsports thread, I came here to talk about the car class calculator that IMG now has on its website, which was made by fellow goon c355n4.

http://imgracing.com/

Anyway, it seems that the calculator is based off of NASA numbers in an easy to use calculator, rather than a spreadsheet or a list. I figure it could be useful for creating themed races, as have been going on lately.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Surprised that no one posted this here. Free bonus pack of the Hyundai Veloster (and the Rhys Millen Racing version) is up for grabs with a time trial competition starting tomorrow where you could actually win a Veloster.

Pretty cool.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That's kinda cool, not that I'd win.

edit: Oh, you had to register at some point in the past and if you didn't you're poo poo out of luck any how.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 10, 2012

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011
I don't think I'm going to beat my time of 1:11:xxx on the King of the Track Rivals event. It's been 40+ laps now! Guess I'll give it up for now and see what this C.J. Wilson posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Surprised that no one posted this here. Free bonus pack of the Hyundai Veloster (and the Rhys Millen Racing version) is up for grabs with a time trial competition starting tomorrow where you could actually win a Veloster.

Pretty cool.

You mean like two posts above yours?

• Locked thread