Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I have to say of all the patches and tweaks the game's had in the last few months, the changes to armor may be my favorite.

I was so tired of even diamond armor becoming almost useless after enough hits, and having fresh iron armor be so much better. Suits of any material had to be regularly recycled or tossed out. A lot of the time I passed up on wearing armor because any damage I took on the way to my goal or whatever would just mean less damage resisted later. Even falling off a short drop could mean my armor now sucked that much more.
But now that armor protects the same no matter how damaged it is, I don't go anywhere without at least an iron suit. It's so useful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Armor repair is also great. There's no more junk armor at two durability.

Jin Wicked posted:

I just downloaded and installed the snapshot. Hostile mobs spawned from eggs seem to be persistent.

If true, then that makes building a mob zoo feasible.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 8, 2012

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
Started building a thing. Loving the new flat worlds.

edit again:

Chunderstorm fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 8, 2012

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

For those of you playing the iOS/Android version:

Daniel Kaplan at Mojang posted:

Where is My Update for Minecraft - Pocket Edition?

HI EVERYBODY!

I hope you have had a great Christmas and a fun New Year’s Eve! Minecraft – Pocket Edition was released for iOS and Android in the middle of November. We went to Minecon, had vacation and then the Christmas came by and a lot of gamers got a smartphone/tablet and bought Minecraft – Pocket Edition. As I stated in a previous post we had an initial plan of making Minecraft – Pocket Edition more like Minecraft Creative. But alas we were wrong. We have read tons of comments and feedback and it seems like we made a huge mistake. You wanted monsters, resources, animals and more different blocks. This means that the initial code we had written didn’t exactly fit with the new plan where we wanted to add all the stuff you have been asking for. So we have been reorganizing, rewritten and changed the whole plan for Minecraft – Pocket Edition.
So where is my update?

We have planned to submit and update by February the 8th. Then Android Market and the iOS AppStore must approve it and it will be in your hands.
What will the update include?

In the background a lot of stuff has changed to support the survival aspects of the game. You will see some neat looking animals and new blocks. Crafting won’t be in this update since we need to redesign the GUI for it and it will need some iteration and thinking. But the great part is that the foundation for survival will be mostly done and we can throw out much more fun updates! Yay! :D And hopefully the progress of the updates will be much more faster. Oh, and of course some bug-fixing have been done too. Doors and fences will be in there it too!

I’ll keep you updated when we have more stuff to share. In the meantime, if you want to get in touch with me you can follow me on twitter: @Kappische

I'm frankly surprised that no one wanted a lower price for the drat thing, as 7 dollars for pure Creative mode seems a bit excessive...

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Yeah seven bucks is ridiculous for not being survival and being single player.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
It could cost 50 bucks and people would still fall all over themselves to by this mound of tepid feces.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Iacen posted:

I'm frankly surprised that no one wanted a lower price for the drat thing, as 7 dollars for pure Creative mode seems a bit excessive...

It was more expensive to "preorder" when it was in Alpha on PC and there was no Survival. There were also like 20 fewer blocks useable in Creative. :geno:

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

CJacobs posted:

It was more expensive to "preorder" when it was in Alpha on PC and there was no Survival. There were also like 20 fewer blocks useable in Creative. :geno:

And yet I still played creative for months before survtest even came out :v:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

All I know is I got it on sale for 10¢ and at that price point it's worth it.

For that matter, I could say the same thing about my alpha purchase of Minecraft itself.

Right now though, neither are worth the full price. Notch should have had his big party for going beta, because that's where we're at if you ask me. That and he should just never tweet another thing about bugs=features and "why should I let competent programmers work on ~*my baby*~." The guy just has zero business acumen.

That said I've played Minecraft more than any other single game ever, and still love the hell out of it. A whole lot of that nowadays is the community on the server I frequent and some amazing bukkit plugins that add a ton to the game. v:shobon:v

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I found gravel in the Nether. Does that mean anything? Like, does it mean I'm near anything of importance or is it just "Yeah, there's gravel in the Nether. It's just there in places." and I shouldn't get excited?

Been running around exploring the place as best I can, but still can't find any nether fortresses. Not even any netherwart. Oh, and I died. I think the wiki said dropped items persist in the Nether, but I have no idea where I died at so oh well. Only things I'd really want back would be my pretty-useless map and a bunch of harvested glowstone dust.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Iacen posted:

I bought it for 10 cents on the Android market sale in December, personally. I think most of the other people who bought it did too.

This is the sales chart on the Android market site:

At the very left is the last day the sale for 10 cents was valid, I'd imagine almost everyone who was aware of it bought then.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Boat posted:

All I know is I got it on sale for 10¢ and at that price point it's worth it.

For that matter, I could say the same thing about my alpha purchase of Minecraft itself.

I wasn't saying the price it's at now is justified, I'm just pointing out that on PC it was basically twice that price and there were half the features there are now (Survival aside). I was agreeing that seven bucks is probably overpriced for a mobile version.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 8, 2012

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

CJacobs posted:

I wasn't saying the price it's at now is justified, I'm just saying that on PC it was basically twice that price and there were half the features there are now (Survival aside). I was agreeing that seven bucks is probably overpriced for a mobile version.

Back in alpha when notch didn't have his swimming pool of money lots of people (including me) just bought the game to support him, which included the amazing prize of being able to change your skin, but now that he's coining it, I definitely agree that the mobile version is overpriced for the amount of content it delivers.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Jamesman posted:

I found gravel in the Nether. Does that mean anything? Like, does it mean I'm near anything of importance or is it just "Yeah, there's gravel in the Nether. It's just there in places." and I shouldn't get excited?

Been running around exploring the place as best I can, but still can't find any nether fortresses. Not even any netherwart. Oh, and I died. I think the wiki said dropped items persist in the Nether, but I have no idea where I died at so oh well. Only things I'd really want back would be my pretty-useless map and a bunch of harvested glowstone dust.

Re: Gravel- It's the latter.

If you die far away from your spawn point, your items will persist as long as no one enters the chunk you died in. The timer only activates if the chunk is loaded. I've had a couple instances where I will die to something stupid, ragequit, and sign on later to have one of my friends tell me that he found a pile of items and put them in a chest because he figured they were mine. :v:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Well, I meant in single player. According to the wiki, items don't despawn in the Nether. But after finding the place I died by sheer luck, I can confirm the wiki is wrong.

Also, I can't seem to make Nether maps anymore. Even when I craft the compasses in the Nether, they're all coming out as Overworld maps. Can I fix this at all?

And I think I found a Nether fortress. It's a big black mass of land in a vague castle shape, and I can get close enough that the draw distance SHOULD change it texture to netherrack if it were netherrack. Problem is it's still too far away and far down for me to actually visit, unless "jumping to my death" counts as visiting.

I kind of know where it is though, so I might be able to go back with a shitton of gravel and hopefully get down there without a ghast loving me over.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Jamesman posted:

Well, I meant in single player. According to the wiki, items don't despawn in the Nether. But after finding the place I died by sheer luck, I can confirm the wiki is wrong.

Also, I can't seem to make Nether maps anymore. Even when I craft the compasses in the Nether, they're all coming out as Overworld maps. Can I fix this at all?

And I think I found a Nether fortress. It's a big black mass of land in a vague castle shape, and I can get close enough that the draw distance SHOULD change it texture to netherrack if it were netherrack. Problem is it's still too far away and far down for me to actually visit, unless "jumping to my death" counts as visiting.

I kind of know where it is though, so I might be able to go back with a shitton of gravel and hopefully get down there without a ghast loving me over.

It would probably be a lot easier to calculate where to build a portal on the Overworld to put the other one where you want it in the Nether than to dungeoneer a path.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

redmercer posted:

It would probably be a lot easier to calculate where to build a portal on the Overworld to put the other one where you want it in the Nether than to dungeoneer a path.

Easier, but not nearly as satisfying.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

EricFate posted:

Easier, but not nearly as satisfying.

If you don't feel like doing it that way, it's still much easier to tunnel through netherrack than it is to grab the two dozen stacks of gravel it would take to make a bridge like that. Safer, too, as long as you're careful to not dig right under/above yourself.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I always felt that gravel is at it's natural habitat in the Nether.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I've noticed this thread has slowed down A LOT compared to last year. New posts, where there are any, tend to be about complaints or the latest silly thing notch has said. Screenshots of neat castles or cool in-game finds are now the exception rather than the rule. Seems a lot of people, myself included, have burned out on the game itself, but are still interested in following it's development to the (hopefully comedic) end.

I this sentiment unique to Somethingisawful.com or is the same thing happening elsewhere?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 17, 2012

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

Been running around exploring the place as best I can, but still can't find any nether fortresses. Not even any netherwart.

Netherwort is only naturally found in Nether Fortresses, so yeah.

a starwar betamax posted:

I've noticed this thread has slowed down A LOT compared to last year. New posts, where there are any, tend to be about complaints or the latest silly thing notch has said. Screenshots of neat castles or cool in-game finds are now the exception rather than the rule. Seems a lot of people, myself included, have burned out on the game itself, but are still interested in following it's development to the (hopefully comedic) end.

I this sentiment unique to Somethingisawful.com or is the same thing happening elsewhere?

I think a lot of it is that people have gravitated to multiplayer and/or modded singleplayer, and all the fun stuff gets posted/talked about in those threads. I know all our cool builds and stuff get posted in the server's thread, so that means not here.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I finally went through a portal in my primary world after so much worrying I'd have trouble finding a Nether Fortress.
Instead I came out in possibly the best starting spot I've ever had in the Nether.

Speaking of the Nether, I wish Netherwart would grow in the overworld. If I've taken the time to go get the soulsand, they don't have to make me sit on my rear end in the nether waiting for it to grow.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vib Rib posted:

I finally went through a portal in my primary world after so much worrying I'd have trouble finding a Nether Fortress.
Instead I came out in possibly the best starting spot I've ever had in the Nether.

Is that a stone brick fortress, or is that just your texture pack?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Schwarzwald posted:

Is that a stone brick fortress, or is that just your texture pack?
The latter. I use Painterly's snowy bricks for my Nether Fortress Brick, even though the rest of my Nether textures aren't snow-themed. I like the way the white stands out starkly to the rest of the place.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

redmercer posted:

redmercer posted:

If you don't feel like doing it that way, it's still much easier to tunnel through netherrack than it is to grab the two dozen stacks of gravel it would take to make a bridge like that. Safer, too, as long as you're careful to not dig right under/above yourself.

It's hard to say how much better this would be compared to building a bridge towards to fortress, to be honest. I actually do think it'll be easier to just set up a stairway down and build a bridge across the lava toward it.

Now if I could just make nether maps again, this would all go much smoother.

Estel
May 4, 2010
Minecraft Chain World

The attempts at doing some kind of chain world failed miserably, in the first one i never saw the world and in the second one it died after 3 or 4 turns. But the idea is interesting so let's try it again. This time it will be different.

The first round of the chain world will be 5 players, myself not included, and each one will have one week to do what he wants with the world. I don't care how many times each player dies but you only have one week. After that week the world will go to the next one.

If it works then after those 5 there will be 5 new players.
People interested in doing this post saying so, the first five are the ones who will play this first round.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I moved my portal in the Nether into my base. It wasn't that far, but it ended up creating a new portal in the overworld anyway.

My original overworld portal links to the relocated nether portal, but teleporting back to the overworld sends me to the new portal. Is there anything I can do about this, or am I just kind of screwed and will have to make a longer trek back home each time now?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

I moved my portal in the Nether into my base. It wasn't that far, but it ended up creating a new portal in the overworld anyway.

My original overworld portal links to the relocated nether portal, but teleporting back to the overworld sends me to the new portal. Is there anything I can do about this, or am I just kind of screwed and will have to make a longer trek back home each time now?

Kinda, yeah. Because the nether is so compressed, shifting your netherside portal will probably take you out of range of the overworld portal. And overworld portals will much more easily link up to netherside portals.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

I'm just busy building my plane. I'll drop some screenshots whenever I get it done.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

I've noticed this thread has slowed down A LOT compared to last year.

That's because, except for a half dozen new features and lots of Notch drama, almost nothing has happened for a year.

Also, this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ScqDxH0f4#t=5m20s

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

ironically enough it seems the release killed it more then anything. once the "its still in beta" excuse vanished and people saw what an idiot notch was at minecon, i think everyone just abandoned in disgust. I shut down my mulitplayer server shortly after the release (no one was really playing), and am now just waiting for the mod api to happen, so more compentent coders can make minecraft fun again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tengames posted:

and am now just waiting for the mod api to happen, so more compentent coders can make minecraft fun again.
This. I play on a couple of servers that actually do fun stuff, but I can't bring myself to play solo anymore. I'd love for a mod API so that I can, say, play on those vast ocean maps and make boats without needing a whole new install just to use a buggy airship mod that I don't fly upwards on. Or to be able to join a server with a dozen new creatures and tool levels without balancing various mods together to work on that one specific server.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Tengames posted:

ironically enough it seems the release killed it more then anything. once the "its still in beta" excuse vanished and people saw what an idiot notch was at minecon, i think everyone just abandoned in disgust. I shut down my mulitplayer server shortly after the release (no one was really playing), and am now just waiting for the mod api to happen, so more compentent coders can make minecraft fun again.

Don't forget that in the midst of all this, Minecraft now costs $30.

vvvv :notch:, basically.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 9, 2012

Chew Toy
Nov 28, 2010

I'm unhappy, Jon.
Whatever became of the plan to turn ssp into a client side server? I remember there being talk of doing this and I was looking forward to it because it meant ssp mods would work on smp.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

ANAL_CUNT posted:

Whatever became of the plan to turn ssp into a client side server? I remember there being talk of doing this and I was looking forward to it because it meant ssp mods would work on smp.

But you see that sounds like a sensible and worthwhile thing worth implementi-OOOH LOOK DRAGONS!

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PalmTreeFun posted:

Don't forget that in the midst of all this, Minecraft now costs $30.

vvvv :notch:, basically.

This is the best part. I don't know anyone in their right mind who'd pay $30 for the game as it is right now. Maybe, if it was the game pitched during alpha and beta with actual reasons to play, but right now it's glorified internet lego and I wouldn't pay twenty dollars if I had to buy in now, let alone thirty.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This looks like a beautiful city.

It's too bad that I'm never, ever going there.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Schwarzwald posted:

This looks like a beautiful city.

It's too bad that I'm never, ever going there.

What is that? :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Majestic Bear Song posted:

What is that? :aaa:

The Ghast?