Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think this came up in the main fighting game thread a while back, but I can't remember which game we were talking about - does Skullgirls have a feature where if it detects you trying to do a 360 or 720, it helps prevent you from jumping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think this came up in the main fighting game thread a while back, but I can't remember which game we were talking about - does Skullgirls have a feature where if it detects you trying to do a 360 or 720, it helps prevent you from jumping?

I don't think there are any 720s, but yeah there's one for 360s but only Cerebella has it (because only she has a 360 which means it won't gently caress you up for other characters). Basically if you start it from a back position and roll down the game will realize you're doing a 360 and stop you from jumping.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Countblanc posted:

I don't think there are any 720s, but yeah there's one for 360s but only Cerebella has it (because only she has a 360 which means it won't gently caress you up for other characters). Basically if you start it from a back position and roll down the game will realize you're doing a 360 and stop you from jumping.

Music to my ears. I love grapplers but usually try to avoid characters who rely on full-circle moves, it'll be nice to have an extra reason to put that behind me.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
CROFTS when is the release date jesus

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

CROFTS when is the release date jesus
I'm willing to bet it'll be around Valentine's day, so probably Feburary 14th-15th. It'd be "cute" and make a lot of sense since crofts said it'd be sooner than we thought.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Cromlech posted:

I'm willing to bet it'll be around Valentine's day, so probably Feburary 14th-15th. It'd be "cute" and make a lot of sense since crofts said it'd be sooner than we thought.

Valentines day is on a Tuesday...

There may be something to this theory.

*ed*

Wait though, do dlc games release on Tuesdays? I don't even know.

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
You know how Capcom treated the PC market like poo poo by skipping the SSF4 PC release and delaying the 2012 patch? You guys better not make the same mistake. :colbert:

Fishmonkey fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 10, 2012

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Evil Canadian posted:

Valentines day is on a Tuesday...

There may be something to this theory.

*ed*

Wait though, do dlc games release on Tuesdays? I don't even know.
DL games DO come out on Tuesdays. SG and Twisted on the same day. If that's true, I don't think I'd be able to contain myself.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Can we take out stages from random select? One of my major pet peeves is when either the training stage keeps coming up or a stage that is just grating as gently caress. The only game I can think of that lets you do that is Smash Bros., and that's not even a real fighter.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Liar Lyre posted:

DL games DO come out on Tuesdays. SG and Twisted on the same day. If that's true, I don't think I'd be able to contain myself.

DL games come out depending on when the service normally "updates". PSN games are released on Tuesday morning, XBLA games on Wednesday morning.

Bovineicide posted:

Can we take out stages from random select? One of my major pet peeves is when either the training stage keeps coming up or a stage that is just grating as gently caress. The only game I can think of that lets you do that is Smash Bros., and that's not even a real fighter.

To be fair, in Smash Bros. the stages actually DO something so it makes sense for "balance" reasons to allow them to be opted out of.

Despite living in fighting game Mecca (SoCal), I can't believe I miss all these events. Those fights were pretty good and certainly promise better to come. On the upside, I apparently live a good hour away from where Revenge Studios is. So if anyone is able to provide a potato sack and a bat I could probably abduct meet up with Crofts to see if I can make him spill the beans.*

*No, I really won't.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Here, have some more replays from the SoCal Regionals Skullgirls tournament:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-skullgirls/725578
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-skullgirls/725576

The players are still quite new to the game, but they're not bad at all.

So... many... puns...

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Jetpack Postman posted:

Despite living in fighting game Mecca (SoCal), I can't believe I miss all these events. Those fights were pretty good and certainly promise better to come. On the upside, I apparently live a good hour away from where Revenge Studios is. So if anyone is able to provide a potato sack and a bat I could probably abduct meet up with Crofts to see if I can make him spill the beans.*

*No, I really won't.

I'm at college currently, in Indiana. So what I'm saying is bring it on.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Broken Loose posted:

The players are still quite new to the game, but they're not bad at all.

I notice my match isn't on there so they're probably intentionally leaving out the ones that are bad (like mine) (I am very bad)

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm at college currently, in Indiana. So what I'm saying is bring it on.

I've got two weeks of vacation, a half tank of gas, a prescription of Prozac I've forgotten to refill, a Guitar Hero controller I don't care for and I'm wearing sunglasses. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Also, I envy you, you lucky punk.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

Jetpack Postman posted:

Also, I envy you, you lucky punk.

He's in Indiana instead of being in SoCal you're not supposed to envy him.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Nerokerubina posted:

He's in college and I'm bored out of my loving skull. Sue me.

Edit: I'm also hopelessly addicted to corn friend in meth. It's a huge weakness of mine.
VVVVVVVVVVVVV

Jetpack Postman fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 10, 2012

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Nerokerubina posted:

What if he really likes, uh...corn. And meth. Then he could be super envious of anyone in Indiana.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Indiana is cool because they have Pizza King.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

Jetpack Postman posted:

He's in college and I'm bored out of my loving skull. Sue me.

I'm in college in SoCal, hth.

content: actually crofts (or anyone i guess) do you now if they plan to post the rest of the top 8? I do want to have somthing to show to everyone about "hey here's how to beat day -1 peacock stuff".

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Indiana is cool because they have Pizza King.

Holy poo poo give this man some respect. Pizza King is fantastic.

quote:

content: actually crofts (or anyone i guess) do you now if they plan to post the rest of the top 8? I do want to have somthing to show to everyone about "hey here's how to beat day -1 peacock stuff".

The reverge community director is in charge of FNFs and all the other video content, and I'm pretty sure he said that they'll all be uploaded eventually.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Edit: Oh cool then. Thanks Crofts. Nice to know that the company's PR has some influence over what content goes out.

Lank
Sep 16, 2002

WHERE IS THE CHANCELLOR?!

Christ, I haven't seen anything showcase how smooth and gorgeous this game looks while being played until those gametrailer vids. Good lord.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lank posted:

Christ, I haven't seen anything showcase how smooth and gorgeous this game looks while being played until those gametrailer vids. Good lord.

60fps makes a huge difference.

Mr Fixit
Mar 7, 2008
Quick question: Do one frame links exist in this game?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
The game looks pretty neat but the sword stab move by the girl with the huge arms looks kind of broken with all the health it takes off.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Monolith. posted:

The game looks pretty neat but the sword stab move by the girl with the huge arms looks kind of broken with all the health it takes off.

The reason it does so much damage is because it's a super throw. You can't combo into it, which means you just have to do the super raw, which is extremely punishable if you miss. Your opponent also has to be on the ground. You can jump to avoid it if you're not doing anything. You'd use it when your opponent's playing defensively and guarding too much. It also doesn't work while blocking other hits, so you can't get free damage off of a blocked assist.

Now, a broken move would be one that allows you to instantly go full screen and randomly cross up (move to the other side of) your opponent while being completely invincible, making it almost impossible to know which way to block, which could be done free from anywhere. That exists in another game, by the way.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 10, 2012

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Monolith. posted:

Well it does no damage to red health so if you're on a team you can recover from all of it. Plus it has most of the normal problems with a command Throw super.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PalmTreeFun posted:

Now, a broken move would be one that allows you to instantly go full screen and randomly cross up (move to the other side of) your opponent while being completely invincible, making it almost impossible to know which way to block, which could be done free from anywhere. That exists in another game, by the way.

Which one is that?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Ahh, thank you. Fighting games are pretty much over my head but it was cool watching those videos posted earlier. Also 60FPS :swoon:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Which one is that?

Wolverine's Berserker Slash in vanilla Marvel vs. Capcom 3. He was by far the most braindead-easy character to play well because all you had to do was call an assist and do the move over and over, and when you inevitably got a free hit in, the assist would let you convert it into a touch of death combo. If it was blocked, the assist would make it safe. It went straight through projectiles and attacks until Wolverine did the slash at the end too, so you usually couldn't punish it if you predicted it. They nerfed this hard in Ultimate MvC3 so it's no longer invincible during the running part of the move.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 10, 2012

doctor/prostitute
Sep 30, 2004

You really ought to lock that down

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Which one is that?

I assume he's talking about vanilla MVC3 Wolverine

Edit: Yeah, beaten

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh duh, I should have known that one, I was trying to think too obscure.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What's interesting is that Cerebella has a similar move, but instead of invincibility it's a couple hits of armor. It's also not as fast or as easy to pull off. Still effective without being as stupid.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Liar Lyre posted:

What's interesting is that Cerebella has a similar move, but instead of invincibility it's a couple hits of armor. It's also not as fast or as easy to pull off. Still effective without being as stupid.

Only the run move has armor (1 hit). The cross-up followup itself doesn't have armor and can be stuffed or thrown for free.

E: also I double-checked and yes, the entire top 8 of SCR will be uploaded on gametrailers.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 10, 2012

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

I'm pretty sure she has invincibility during some part of that. But yeah that's the first lesson of cerebella is learn your stupid run mixups, the run owns way more than it seems like it would at first glance.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Mr Fixit posted:

Quick question: Do one frame links exist in this game?

You're asking the wrong question here. As long as fighting games rely on the dual conventions of startup/active/recovery frames and hitstun/blockstun (bundled together into the overarching concept of frame advantage), links will exist, including and especially one frame links. What you should be asking is what kind of importance the game system puts on links versus chains or other cancels.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You're asking the wrong question here. As long as fighting games rely on the dual conventions of startup/active/recovery frames and hitstun/blockstun (bundled together into the overarching concept of frame advantage), links will exist, including and especially one frame links. What you should be asking is what kind of importance the game system puts on links versus chains or other cancels.

To further elaborate, I think links will be downplayed slightly in SGS because links are more susceptible to IPS interruption than chains are (IPS only triggers at each link, with a single exception).

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Having an input buffer should be able to remove one-frame links though, shouldn't it? For example, if you input a command during the last five frames of recovery, have it come out on the first frame afterward. That turns a one-frame link into a five-frame link.

Doesn't Blazblue do something like this? Or am I totally wrong?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Relambrien posted:

Having an input buffer should be able to remove one-frame links though, shouldn't it? For example, if you input a command during the last five frames of recovery, have it come out on the first frame afterward. That turns a one-frame link into a five-frame link.

Doesn't Blazblue do something like this? Or am I totally wrong?

Yes, I believe if you hit the button at the right moment (or 4 frames previous, for a total of 5) in BB:CT it would work(?). It's been a while.

Any game will have links by the definition of what they are (simply whether a non-cancelled move can start up and hit with active frames before stun from a previous move ends) but there are ways to prevent links from being ONLY one frame.

I don't think I've heard anyone say Skullgirls has any such thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Any word on how double snapbacks will work? With all the inspiration from MvC2 should we be expecting launcher infinites?

• Locked thread