Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not interested in the streaming until they tell me it can't be completely neutered by cable companies setting the no-copy flag on their entire lineup (thanks, Time Warner).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Streaming gets around that. When you get 20.2 and have two Premieres, you can stream. You can't copy, for some reason, which is all you can do with the older software.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

20.0.0.RC18... usable HD menus!?

BLACK MAGIC

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
God damnit why won't my premiers update :(

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
Had the new software for a few days now. It's an improvement for sure, but there are a few rough edges. Some of the menus are still slow (but an improvement over the last release) and Netflix still blows. The HD guide is nice and makes better use of space. Multiroom streaming would be a bigger deal for me if i had another premiere instead of the series 3. Maybe when my annual subscription runs out. This is major progress for TiVo though as their update cycle has been measured in eons.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Dogen posted:

God damnit why won't my premiers update :(

Same here. I wish I could do a force update.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Aatrek posted:

Same here. I wish I could do a force update.

If you have a TiVo Premiere Series4 (TSN prefixes 746, 748, and 758) you have been mapped to receive 20.0.0.RC18 software. To get the new software, if it hasn't downloaded already, go to TiVo Central> Settings & Messages> Settings>Phone & Network> Connect to the TiVo service now.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
My TSN starts with 746, but the system updates don't seem to download anything new.

My software version is still 14.9.2.2-01-2-746.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I've been manually connecting every night before I go to bed and no dice.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

:iiam: Sorry dudes. I pasted TiVo's word on the update, verbatim.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I saw on the tivocommunityforums you could tweet at some TiVo rep online with your service number and they would hit you with the update, but I'm not that desperate... yet.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I did that yesterday and have the update today. So it may work.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Has the EPG ever been updated?

When I tried a TiVo Premiere last year there was no HD guide and the SD guide was really, really bad. (ie. not even as a good as a scientific atlanta comcast box)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The big 20.2 update should be available to everybody now, according to @tivodesign. I just got mine today.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Mine didn't come through until last night, I forced them to update by restarting just now. drat last minute! Looks nice so far, will play with it more this evening.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
While there's not a big speedup, there are some things that are faster. I found out that paging down through our 45 episode Jeopardy! backlog was much faster.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I'm mostly excited about streaming, there's something we have to record in the bedroom due to lack of tuners that is flagged so we can't watch it in the living room. Also the more unified menu design that I was able to see looked nice. I kind of liked having the guide fullscreen instead of having guide with TV in the corner, but what can you do I guess.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Dogen posted:

I'm mostly excited about streaming, there's something we have to record in the bedroom due to lack of tuners that is flagged so we can't watch it in the living room. Also the more unified menu design that I was able to see looked nice. I kind of liked having the guide fullscreen instead of having guide with TV in the corner, but what can you do I guess.

I just bought another Premiere yesterday (they're selling refurbs for $0 plus service fee) for this exact reason. Now I have 4 tuners :D

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I got one of mine for 0 @ 20 monthly and one for 99 at whatever the multibox discount that used to be like 8 or 9bux is, pretty sweet. I would love to get an actual 4 tuner box, because somehow there is so much poo poo on Thursday we can't quite get everything, but I can't justify the 500bux or whatever it is.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Multibox discount is $99 plus $14/mo = $459.75 over 2 years

Refurbs right now are $0 plus $19/mo = $479.76 over 2 years

So if it's worth it to you to pay $0 up front but $20 more in the long run, now's the time to buy.

The TiVo Elite has 4 tuners plus a bunch of other nice stuff, but yeah it's $500 :\

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 25, 2012

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I hope the XL goes on sale again, I found out about the $199 thing the day after it ended.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Mine gets like 60% full tops, the capacity issue seems pretty well sorted... Although I pretty much only watch new shows instead of stockpiling Jeopardy

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

traveling midget posted:

Multibox discount is $99 plus $14/mo = $459.75 over 2 years

Refurbs right now are $0 plus $19/mo = $479.76 over 2 years

So if it's worth it to you to pay $0 up front but $20 more in the long run, now's the time to buy.

The TiVo Elite has 4 tuners plus a bunch of other nice stuff, but yeah it's $500 :\

Are refurbs eligible for the multi-box lifetime discount? ($400 instead of $500).

Back in the summer I bought a refurb Premiere on Woot for $50 after making triple sure that it was eligible for the $400 lifetime pricing. If you can get it for $0 + $400 that's an even better deal.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

What's the deal with MRV streaming? I assumed it would work so I tried to check it out last night, but no go. Do I have to enable something?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Dogen posted:

What's the deal with MRV streaming? I assumed it would work so I tried to check it out last night, but no go. Do I have to enable something?

It's coming on the 30th, I think they want to give time for every box to be updated before enabling it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Oh, I think I saw that post but read "Monday" as this past Monday. Cool, thanks.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Currently sitting with my bedroom tv and tivo on my living room floor because i don't have a phone line and the premiere doesn't have wifi HERP DERP

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You could get a USB wireless adapter for it, there's a compatibility list of third party ones so you can probably get one for 20bux or less.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Dogen posted:

You could get a USB wireless adapter for it, there's a compatibility list of third party ones so you can probably get one for 20bux or less.

Did they finally get third party adapters working on premier? I remember checking it out before and the only solution was getting the Tivo one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I checked when I posted that and they have a chart that includes the premiere (which actually seems to have the most compatible adapters)

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Even with the new update, I can't stand all the lag in the HD menu scheme. I think I'll stay with the SD menus until they fix that.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Just FYI streaming appears to be rolling out early, working pretty good so far.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Aatrek posted:

Even with the new update, I can't stand all the lag in the HD menu scheme. I think I'll stay with the SD menus until they fix that.

Yeah it seems like they sped it up only to add in some animations that seem to slow it back down. I'm sticking with it, though. I wish they could speed up Hulu somehow, it's damned annoying to scroll around within a show that has a ton of seasons/episodes.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Dogen posted:

Yeah it seems like they sped it up only to add in some animations that seem to slow it back down. I'm sticking with it, though. I wish they could speed up Hulu somehow, it's damned annoying to scroll around within a show that has a ton of seasons/episodes.

Hulu is absolutely awful. I just start up my PS3 and go in that way. In the time it takes to start it up and find what I want to watch, it's still faster than if I just went through Tivo.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Went through YouTube on the Tivo for the first time yesterday and was impressed that the keyboard was "faster". Still not fast enough to not use the app to type instead, but it was faster.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

chemosh6969 posted:

Hulu is absolutely awful. I just start up my PS3 and go in that way. In the time it takes to start it up and find what I want to watch, it's still faster than if I just went through Tivo.

Well, in the bedroom we have the choice of "worst interface ever, but reliable" blu ray player or the tivo, so unless the tivo starts loving up on hulu (which also happens), we tend to at least use that hulu. Also sometimes in the living room if we can't be bothered to fire up the PS3 or 360.

But yes, it's a choice of last resort.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So I am really surprised how well the streaming MRV works over 802.11n. I thought it would be choppy or something, but not at all.

I especially thought things like fast-forward would not work well, or that it would be done like Netflix where you just get a bunch of still images. But the whole experience is pretty much seamless and indistinguishable from watching a show on the box that originally recorded it.

They really did well with this; now I hope they put this kind of thought and effort into cleaning up the HDUI.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A little nugget here:

quote:

Virgin Media's school report for both last year and last quarter has been pretty positive for the Branson-Branded service. It pulled down £4 billion ($6.3 billion) in revenue for the year and made its first ever profit with a tidy £76 million ($120 million). In the last quarter alone, it added 273,000 TiVo subscribers, a figure that doubled its overall figure to 435,000.
I guess this shows why they've spent so much of their time dealmaking instead of iterating their direct to consumer models, I doubt they've sold 250,000 premieres yet. It's too bad the Tivo/Comcast deal never came to anything, I'm loath to recommend Comcast's DVR service to anybody but Tivo is still a very premium option.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Charter has started testing dumbed down Premiers in our area. On one hand you can use On Demand, you lose Netflix and Hulu.

I can't imagine the confusion will be when I have to call about an issue and they find out I have a premier. They already keep asking if I have a Moxi, or whatever it is, when I say I have a Tivo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Do any of you guys have Amazon Prime and know if the 'everything is free' functions work on Tivo? I can't figure out how to do it, and my account is linked, so I'm guessing no?

• Locked thread