Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's snow. It only falls in certain biomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Majestic Bear Song posted:

What is that? :aaa:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/171188-v10formivores-mods-city-wall-road-generators/

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Majestic Bear Song posted:

What is that? :aaa:

looks like default texture pack to me.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Oh, thank you. Had seen this before and I guess I didn't recognize it.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am hoping this thread might help me enjoy Minecraft again.

I had fun for a while building random stuff, but that has sort of worn off. I have no friends to play with, so there is no fun to be had in collaboration with friends.

There is such ENORMOUS variety of mods that I honestly can't sort through them and am uncertain which might make the game more fun anyway.

I just can't find an online server which seems very fun.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Diogines posted:

I am hoping this thread might help me enjoy Minecraft again.

I had fun for a while building random stuff, but that has sort of worn off. I have no friends to play with, so there is no fun to be had in collaboration with friends.

There is such ENORMOUS variety of mods that I honestly can't sort through them and am uncertain which might make the game more fun anyway.

I just can't find an online server which seems very fun.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

You could hop over to the modding thread and ask there for more input, but there are a couple of already-compiled mod packs that're pretty good. The Technic pack adds a lot of industrial stuff, and the Yogbox has... a whole ton of stuff that I honestly don't remember right now.

Or you could try getting into building with redstone if you haven't already.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So I found this kid who I believe is Swedish who is for some reason pretending to be me.

My Minecraft name is Doomish, and everywhere else on the internet I go by Doomish... But that's not me. That's my skin, sure, and there's even a video with my MOST RECENT skin in it, but that's definitely not me.

He has been doing this for a while, apparently, he has several videos wherein he calls himself Doomish (using my skin at the time) and proceeds to play Minecraft almost competently. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but I don't know if he has my account password and is using it when I'm not or he just took my skin via link or what.

...What do I do? :ohdear:

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

First thing I'd do is change my password.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Done and done. I also verified my e-mail and it's still set to mine, so I guess he's just taking my skin via the direct link on Minecraft.net.

Wh...Why would he pretend to be me though? I'm not that cool or anything. This whole thing is just bizarre. :ohdear:

EDIT: He's a member of Craftcube, some weird Swedish MC clan thing I guess, and he apparently has a server on which he built a giant statue of my skin that he took and used and jesus christ I can't even wrap my mind around this. There aren't enough :psyduck:s in the world for this.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 11, 2012

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

CJacobs posted:

Done and done. I also verified my e-mail and it's still set to mine, so I guess he's just taking my skin via the direct link on Minecraft.net.

Wh...Why would he pretend to be me though? I'm not that cool or anything. This whole thing is just bizarre. :ohdear:

EDIT: He's a member of Craftcube, some weird Swedish MC clan thing I guess, and he apparently has a server on which he built a giant statue of my skin that he took and used and jesus christ I can't even wrap my mind around this. There aren't enough :psyduck:s in the world for this.

Christ, that is some surreal poo poo right there. I knew the Minecraft community was insane but this?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In all of his videos he refers to himself as Doomish. When he types in his SMP videos, it comes up as either Doomish or Doomishov whenever he talks. People who have seen my Fallout 3 Let's Play know what I actually sound like and it's just mind boggling. I want to know how he did it. Was I hacked? Is my client being distributed to Swedish kids everywhere? I don't need Goon Justice(tm), I need help finding out how in the hell he is successfully impersonating me in Swedish or whatever language he's actually speaking.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Are there any tutorials for planning out and building more realistic statues in Minecraft? The only things I've found are for large-scale versions of Minecraft models or 2D pixel art.

I'm kind of looking to do something more along the lines of a statue you'd find in real life, with the whole proportions and hands and feet and face things going on. The problem I'm having (aside from materials) is the size of the statues make it hard to really tell if what I'm doing looks right. Does this look like a foot? Does the calf start here? I can't tell, it's all made of blocks and this foot is already bigger than my house.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Tw1tchy posted:

Notch just hired the maker of Cube World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jujKOju_MBM

Actual art aesthetics instead of programmer art? An engine that looks like it runs smoothly? Combat that looks developed and satisfying? A fully developed questing, loot, and npc system?

All this stuff kind of puts into context just how unfinished and unpolished a product minecraft is, as well as just how slow-moving its development has been. We're glomming on to a trickle of features while other indie devs seem to have no problem implementing fully fledged actual games into their pseudo sandboxy work.

Well, hopefully with this guy on board the development will take the direction it should have taken prior to 'launch.'

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 11, 2012

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Times posted:

Actual art aesthetics instead of programmer art? An engine that looks like it runs smoothly? Combat that looks developed and satisfying? A fully developed questing, loot, and npc system?

All this stuff kind of puts into context just how unfinished and unpolished a product minecraft is, as well as just how slow-moving its development has been. We're glomming on to a trickle of features while other indie devs seem to have no problem implemented fully fledged actual games into their pseudo sandboxy work.

Well, hopefully with this guy on board the development will take the direction it should have taken prior to 'launch.'

I seriously doubt this dude is going to be working on Minecraft. I get the idea that Mojang is looking to expand its stable of games and leave MC in the capable hands of Jeb.

White Legs
Apr 24, 2006

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price." :911:

CJacobs posted:

In all of his videos he refers to himself as Doomish. When he types in his SMP videos, it comes up as either Doomish or Doomishov whenever he talks. People who have seen my Fallout 3 Let's Play know what I actually sound like and it's just mind boggling. I want to know how he did it. Was I hacked? Is my client being distributed to Swedish kids everywhere? I don't need Goon Justice(tm), I need help finding out how in the hell he is successfully impersonating me in Swedish or whatever language he's actually speaking.

In multiplayer the server probably just has a mod to rename yourself, there's plenty of those. I don't think Doomish is really much of a unique name either, but the skin, well that's pretty funny and creepy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

That's a pretty sweet theme song you should steal it from him

Ba da ba ba ba .... D-d-doomish !!

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Times posted:

As I recall he was hired to do AI work, so Minecraft will still be the same mediocre game, only now with slightly more intricate enemy behaviour.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

White Legs posted:

In multiplayer the server probably just has a mod to rename yourself, there's plenty of those. I don't think Doomish is really much of a unique name either, but the skin, well that's pretty funny and creepy

Ah, I hadn't considered the server mod. He does have a bukkit video but I couldn't watch it because his horrible mic quality almost exploded my speakers. Either way, this is really really weird. I PM'd him over YouTube via my account (I of course used Google Translate since, y'know, I don't actually speak his language), and I hope Google had it make enough sense for him to respond.

Unless anyone else has any advice, I guess I'll stop halfway-derailing the thread now and look for a solution on my own.

nippon nifties posted:

That's a pretty sweet theme song you should steal it from him

Ba da ba ba ba .... D-d-doomish !!

This is obviously the correct course of action.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

CJacobs posted:

I PM'd him over YouTube via my account (I of course used Google Translate since, y'know, I don't actually speak his language)

Why do you think his clan page is in swedish? Did you send that kid a google translated message in swedish?

Why are you harrassing that kid anyway?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

xf86enodev posted:

Why do you think his clan page is in swedish? Did you send that kid a google translated message in swedish?

Why are you harrassing that kid anyway?

PalmTreeFun posted:

How about we don't harrass random Swedish kids over Youtube because they decided to copy your username/avatar in Playtime Blockland?

Because trying to find out why someone who speaks a different language (I don't even know what language it is for real because, like I said, I don't speak it) is actively trying to pretend to be you and sending them a non-hostile PM in their native language asking how they did it is totally harassment, right? It's not like I want to get his account shut down or whatever, I'd just like him to stop pretending like he is me for whatever reason he has for doing that.

And anyway I did say I was going to leave it alone while waiting for a response sooooo :geno:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 11, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
How about we don't bother random Swedish kids over Youtube because they decided to copy your username/avatar in Playtime Blockland? Seriously, it's not a big deal.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

Why is this a Swedish MC clan if Google is telling me the page is in...Czech?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Why is this a Swedish MC clan if Google is telling me the page is in...Czech?

EDIT: It doesn't really matter, and I can't really even be bothered to care anymore to be honest. I was worked up there for a minute but now that I've sat back down and taken a look at it, it's not like he's doing any harm with whatever it is he's doing. He's probably using a Bukkit plugin to change his name (and therefore his skin) to Doomish.
v:geno:v

Back on the subject of Minecraft itself, though, I just want to say that using cast members of Whose Line is it Anyway? as seeds turned out exactly like I thought it would: Hilarious and varied, except for one, which ended up being nothing but icy snow biome for miles and miles.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 11, 2012

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Not to extend it unnecessarily, but here's the simplest explanation that no one else has posted yet: The kid has also used the name "Doomish" for years before Minecraft. He got to the game after you did, and so couldn't buy it under the name "Doomish". When he told his friends this, they said "don't worry, our mods let you name yourself whatever you want in-game" so he bought an account and used the already-taken name "Doomish". "Doomish" had your skin associated with it, and so he became recognized by that skin among his friends, so now it is also "his". And everyone lived happily ever after.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Times posted:

And nothing to do in the world but fight monsters.
No building, no mining, no digging or terraforming, no constructing, no infrastructure of any kind.

The game deserves a lot of praise for many reasons but it's important to keep in mind it is still rather different in focus from Minecraft.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Vib Rib posted:

And nothing to do in the world but fight monsters.
No building, no mining, no digging or terraforming, no constructing, no infrastructure of any kind.

The game deserves a lot of praise for many reasons but it's important to keep in mind it is still rather different in focus from Minecraft.
It's also ironic to condemn Minecraft's graphics as 'programmer art' while praising a game with no textures, only mathematically generated gradients.

Frock Lobster
Jun 11, 2010

CJacobs posted:

So I found this kid who I believe is Swedish who is for some reason pretending to be me.

My Minecraft name is Doomish, and everywhere else on the internet I go by Doomish... But that's not me. That's my skin, sure, and there's even a video with my MOST RECENT skin in it, but that's definitely not me.

He has been doing this for a while, apparently, he has several videos wherein he calls himself Doomish (using my skin at the time) and proceeds to play Minecraft almost competently. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but I don't know if he has my account password and is using it when I'm not or he just took my skin via link or what.

Why is he playing Beta 1.6 in November?

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug
Was just playing, and I came across this interesting area of corrupted terrain:

And a lot of creepers:

There was a large amount of spiders on a nearby hill, too. Some of the strange cliffs are due to upgrading from 1.8 to 1.0.

It looks like the silverfish spawner got corrupted and started spawning creepers instead. Was getting many horrid lag spikes, so I had to keep disconnecting and reconnecting. Hopefully I can get out of the area without too much hassle.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I don't get this whole idea that Minecraft isn't worth thirty bucks. Outsides of Smash Brothers and maybe one or two others, I've never gotten so many hours of enjoyment out of a game.

Yes, Notch basically dicked around for months after the Halloween update. It's still histrionic to call the game "mediocre" or a "ripoff at this price". Any game loses its luster after you pour so many hours into it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Danzou posted:

I don't get this whole idea that Minecraft isn't worth thirty bucks. Outsides of Smash Brothers and maybe one or two others, I've never gotten so many hours of enjoyment out of a game.

Yes, Notch basically dicked around for months after the Halloween update. It's still histrionic to call the game "mediocre" or a "ripoff at this price". Any game loses its luster after you pour so many hours into it.

You can't argue that Minecraft doesn't have its share of bugs, shortcomings and overall baffling design choices that detract from the game as a whole. Notch wanted to take the game in a myriad of different directions and this only caused the game to suffer. Is it an RPG? Is it a survival game? Is it strictly a builder? No. It's rather schizophrenic and it shows that Notch never had a real goal as to what he wanted this game to be. The community is responsible for making this game passable at this point, not Mojang.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

CJacobs posted:

My therapist might be able to shed some light on your problem. Here she is, just let me know if you want a referral:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Vanderdeath posted:

You can't argue that Minecraft doesn't have its share of bugs, shortcomings and overall baffling design choices that detract from the game as a whole. Notch wanted to take the game in a myriad of different directions and this only caused the game to suffer. Is it an RPG? Is it a survival game? Is it strictly a builder? No. It's rather schizophrenic and it shows that Notch never had a real goal as to what he wanted this game to be. The community is responsible for making this game passable at this point, not Mojang.

...but what it does happen to be is still easily worth $30 to most people. Stop including Notch drama and broken promises in evaluating that.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm not aiming to start drama about Notch or the company. Minecraft is decent for what it is. I myself have gotten a lot of time and enjoyment out of the game, but this was due to mods, addons and other things outside of the game itself.

I like Minecraft and only want it to do well but there are so many niggling issues that make the game itself a chore to play in vanilla. As I said before, Minecraft is a good game with mods. Without them, it's barely a 15 dollar game at best. At least in my opinion.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Vanderdeath posted:

Without them, it's barely a 15 dollar game at best. At least in my opinion.

Agreed. Minecraft is more of a tool than a game. And it's not even a well-made tool—it's buggy, ugly, and loaded with half-baked features that add nothing. Minecraft only has substance when you inject your own personality, effort, and imagination into it.

Someone who's a good artist will get lots of use out of a pencil, but that doesn't mean that the pencil is worth $30. And if you did see a pencil that costs $30 you'd say "wow, that pencil must be really exquisitely crafted or something."

And while, yeah, pencil pricing and software pricing aren't applicable, compare Minecraft to just about any indie game. It's hard to find an indie game above $20, and the ones that cost even 20 are superbly crafted (no "out of memory" errors every 20 minutes).

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
What bugs are you even talking about? Ever since they got save files to stop randomly deleting, I can't remember the last time I ran into any play ruining bug. I think you guys are picking nits.

Everything Notch wrote about his plans for the game, more or less were what we got. Again, after playing countless hours, any game loses its luster and becomes somewhat of a chore - even Ocarina of Time feels laborious when it's your twelfth play through.

I'm not defending Notch blowing off development for nearly a year, and I'm disappointed at where the game is now. But the first thirty hours playing this game beat the hell out of the thirty hours I'd get out of a fifty dollar title.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Danzou posted:

Everything Notch wrote about his plans for the game, more or less were what we got.

Look at this thing you wrote. Look at it.

Apathetic Medic
Apr 22, 2010

Fun Shoe

Danzou posted:

What bugs are you even talking about?

I don't know about you, but I think that there are a lot of bugs in this game.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Apathetic Medic posted:

I don't know about you, but I think that there are a lot of bugs in this game.

And besides bugs, there's the performance. My brand new laptop rips through Left 4 Dead but runs Minecraft pretty choppy. That shouldn't be.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Danzou posted:

What bugs are you even talking about? Ever since they got save files to stop randomly deleting, I can't remember the last time I ran into any play ruining bug. I think you guys are picking nits.

Everything Notch wrote about his plans for the game, more or less were what we got. Again, after playing countless hours, any game loses its luster and becomes somewhat of a chore - even Ocarina of Time feels laborious when it's your twelfth play through.

I'm not defending Notch blowing off development for nearly a year, and I'm disappointed at where the game is now. But the first thirty hours playing this game beat the hell out of the thirty hours I'd get out of a fifty dollar title.

Really, I think it is more that Minecraft was well priced while still in Beta. By being in Beta everyone is under the impression that the game was still being majorly worked on. What we got though was a rushed release with a bunch of half functioning features (NPCs, alchemy that was gimped and only uses a few of the programed effects, leveling system that was reduced to enchanting, etc).

Had I been presented Minecraft after release I would not have bought it as I do not feel the game is worth 30$ for something being marketed as "done" (and yes I know the game is still being worked on and developed, but they should have pushed back release until all current features were fleshed out and fully functioning, what release feels like with what was presented was just an excuse to raise the price of the game ).

As for bugs? The minecraft wiki tracks them pretty well and breaks them between actual bugs and "announces" and there are still a ton of bugs in the game. 30 bugs regarding blocks, 15 regarding items, 16 regarding graphics, 15 regarding lighting, 25 regarding mobs, 18 regarding total crashes and corruption, 7 regarding The End, 7 regarding World Gen, 4 regarding wolves, 3 regarding enchanting, 15 regarding sound, 6 regarding Rails and Carts, 17 regarding Creative mode, 30 regarding multiplayer (there is a LOT wrong with multiplayer and anyone running a server will tell you how player inventory is saved is retarded), 2 bugs for water and lava, 30 game play bugs, and 2 bugs in the launcher.

I know games have bugs in them sometimes when they are released, but 242 bugs, most of them critical and having been around for a looooong time, seems a tad much. This isn't even including glitches that are more annoyances than bugs.

Then you add on top of the fact that Notch has been making excuses of late about why the game is so buggy. It is a bit disheartening when the developer of a game decides not to fix poo poo or improve things (mob ai for example) because he thinks that having a dumbed down buggy experience is what gives minecraft its character and draw. No, it doesn't.

I guess what I am saying is that just because I play minecraft a lot, does not mean I think it is worth 30. I play a lot of free games for just as long. Really, I personally only play multiplayer and I play for the interactions between users, or the crazy events admins run. It is not the gameplay generated by minecraft that I enjoy, it is the gameplay made by the people I play with (either through mods that fix what the game is lacking or by the creativity of the admins actually giving the player base something to do after 30 hours or gathering resources and building cities).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
So the guys that run the server I'm on made a Recruitment Video about all the cool buildings and plugins/mods they've got going and stuff.

It's pretty neat just for showing off some of the big structures people have created (in survival mode). The town I'm part of whips by at :45 but none of my personal structures are shown.