Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

MalleusDei posted:

FFFFFF...gotta find a second somewhere.
I'm a second and a half off ... but I'm using a controller, had some assists turned on for some stupid reason, and it was my first two laps on the course.

The guys who run his race team are doing some trash talking, so I'm definitely going to have to sit down and devote some time to it tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011

Pinky the Cube posted:

That King of the Track app is still reporting my old track time and it's driving me crazy. Refresh, drat you!

It's kind of wonky. It's showing my time as 1:12.xxx when it's 1:11, and it says I'm in the 7000s but I believe I'm in the 10000s

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I got my Cobra all re-tuned for the AI race tonight. I went from a 545 to a 590. I was starting to turn some decent laps at Laguna Seca, but I had to leave for work before I could really fall into a groove.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Damnit, I'm gonna miss tonight's festivities again.

Also this keeps happening to me - I join a race online, and it does the countdown to start, and it goes to the loading screen, then it just sits there for like 2 minutes, and I get dumped back to the lobby but the race has already started without me? What the gently caress? This has happened the past 5 races I just went to join.

And why is it that in some online races I have to select Ready and yet others I don't? Is that something the host sets up?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A hosted lobby, you have to ready up. A regular lobby, it automatically starts.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I put a couple of cars in the AUGR garage for tonights race - a green Shelby Mustang that's up in A class, and my orange Nova SS that's B class. The Mustang is numbered 25 (I don't think anyone else had that number) and the Nova is unnumbered.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VERTiG0 posted:

Also this keeps happening to me - I join a race online, and it does the countdown to start, and it goes to the loading screen, then it just sits there for like 2 minutes, and I get dumped back to the lobby but the race has already started without me? What the gently caress? This has happened the past 5 races I just went to join.

Do you have the game installed to the hard drive? I think this means you're taking so long to load that the host considers you timed out and just goes on without you. A worn out DVD drive could easily cause this when playing from the disc.

If you're properly installed and your internet connection doesn't suck, I have no idea.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Falken posted:

Weren't the first two rival competitions based in Germany and France?

Look who lives, and look what I'm making (click for big)

Based off this packet, should have it done when I can be assed to slap more sponsors on it.

Got myself a connection for my xbox now, where did all the SAEG guys go? :ohdear:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
What an intimidating car. Wow that looks cool.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Keket posted:

Based off this packet, should have it done when I can be assed to slap more sponsors on it.

Got myself a connection for my xbox now, where did all the SAEG guys go? :ohdear:

That is badass. How involved was making the Marlboro text logo?

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
I like that a lot. If you put it on the storefront I will totally buy it.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That is badass. How involved was making the Marlboro text logo?

Text like that isn't that hard, just find a good picture on the internet, put a grid over it and then go into the forza vinyl bit and put the grid up, then just match it all up, same thing works with allot of logo's

I might have it done by the end of the night if I can pick out the right sponsors and add a few more details then ill throw it up on the storefront.

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011
I'm excited for tonight's race for all the wrong reasons, I hope you like my car.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Keket posted:

ummmm go check the saeg thread in private game servers!

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
Just popped back into the game after being out for a bit- if you haven't tried it yet, swap the Mustang engine into the Pinto. The lack of body options on the Impala is disappointing. The Veloster Autovista is officially the worst feature in the game.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Keket posted:

Text like that isn't that hard, just find a good picture on the internet, put a grid over it and then go into the forza vinyl bit and put the grid up, then just match it all up, same thing works with allot of logo's
Is there a chance you could do sort of a tutorial about this?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bentai posted:

Is there a chance you could do sort of a tutorial about this?

It's actually a common system to manually transfer or enlarge a piece of art:

http://monologues.co.uk/Portraits/Gridding_Method.htm

I remember using it in grade school, anyway. The method should be easy to adapt to making Forza art.

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011
Apparently something about my car didn't make the AI spec, gently caress. I don't know what it is.

EDIT: We're resolved, yay.

AaronB fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 12, 2012

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

MalleusDei posted:

FFFFFF...gotta find a second somewhere.

1:13.368

:cool:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The hardest part is getting the entrance to the first chicane right. Even when I hit it right the car feels absolutely on the edge, but if I can keep it under control you can carry SO much speed through the rest of the course. I set a 1'12.999" and had a dirty lap of 1'12.113", there's more speed to be had but I think I'm close to the limits of what I can do with a controller.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Well I see it's in session now (I missed the earlier invites, sorry Jabs). I don't have a car to compete with though, so I'll spectate.

(edit) like 3 of you have numbers on your car. Hahah.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 12, 2012

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I can play the King of the Track one even though I'm in AU, but I guess I'm not getting any cars for playing and beating his time.

1m12s on the second lap with a controller too. I mean I understand not being eligible for actual physical prizes, but for in-game cars that's just a little silly.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I saw the invites, but didn't have any cars set up for it. By the time I did, it was too late! :smith:

Oh well, next time!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Puddin posted:

I can play the King of the Track one even though I'm in AU, but I guess I'm not getting any cars for playing and beating his time.

I think everyone who beats his time gets a Ferrari 360 CS, regardless of region.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Cars finished, just search for 'bright leaf' in the store front.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Keket posted:

Keket, oh god I love you. Bright leafs are my favorite cigarettes. Is there any chance I could get the vinyls off you?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
What did you put your GT to, i cant remember, ill send it over once you tell me.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
That livery loving owns. I'm gonna buy it.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Cannot Find Server posted:

I think everyone who beats his time gets a Ferrari 360 CS, regardless of region.

I beat his time by a tenth of a second, but I haven't received any gift car yet. The Facebook app still shows an old time though, a couple seconds slower then his. Did everyone get the gift car immediately?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So just now getting settled from holiday craziness, travel, etc... hopefully my schedule settles down and I can get some racing in. It appears too late for me to get in on the current spec series what with needing to get cars set up, etc... but is there any other semi-regular racing going on? Are the groups mentioned in the OP still valid? I seem to remember being a member of ForzaGoons back in FM2 and 3.

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011

WienerDog posted:

I beat his time by a tenth of a second, but I haven't received any gift car yet. The Facebook app still shows an old time though, a couple seconds slower then his. Did everyone get the gift car immediately?

No one has gotten anything yet. It ends at the end of the month I think.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

WienerDog posted:

They will gift the cars somewhere around February 6th.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Foehammer007 posted:

I saw the invites, but didn't have any cars set up for it. By the time I did, it was too late! :smith:

Oh well, next time!

Alleric posted:

It appears too late for me to get in on the current spec series what with needing to get cars set up, etc...

Just wanted to point out that Jabs and myself put a couple of cars in the AUGR garage that were to spec for yesterday's race. I'll try to keep putting a couple cars in the garage for whatever race we do so anyone can join in the fun.
Keep in mind that I am a mediocre driver, and I try to make my cars easy to handle rather than balls-out fast.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cannot Find Server posted:

Is that a unicorn car? I don't have one of those yet :ohdear:

Also, I was getting close to beating CJ Wilson's time but falling just short. Figured it was as good a time as any to turn ABS off for the first time. Two laps in and I had a time in the 1:12's. My question is why does turning off ABS let you stop better/faster/more efficiently? I was pretty good at not slamming on the brakes with ABS on, and didn't see the indicator flash up all the time. But it seems that with ABS, you could brake a lot harder and the car would compensate for it. I guess I understand that I am faster with it off, but I don't get why that is.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Also, I was getting close to beating CJ Wilson's time but falling just short. Figured it was as good a time as any to turn ABS off for the first time. Two laps in and I had a time in the 1:12's. My question is why does turning off ABS let you stop better/faster/more efficiently? I was pretty good at not slamming on the brakes with ABS on, and didn't see the indicator flash up all the time. But it seems that with ABS, you could brake a lot harder and the car would compensate for it. I guess I understand that I am faster with it off, but I don't get why that is.

ABS (generally) increases brake distance, for the benefit of still being able to steer the car. So if you were already pretty disciplined about braking before turning, you should be able to push your break points a bit closer to the corners and consequently end up with faster lap times.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
GoonSPEC Races for Wednesday, 11 January 2012

I'm going to be out of town this weekend, so I'm posting early.
Wednesday Night's Races will be a double-header.
GoonMons (Rules below) first. Qualifier will be at 6:45 PST, Race at 7:00 PST SHARP. Track is Camino Viejo MINI.
GoonSPEC Showroom Stock Miata will follow at Sedona Club Reverse.

We sort of settled on some GoonMons rules in the post-race bullshit session last night.

Here is how it's generally going to work:

In the spirit of 24 hours of Lemons, we're going to pull some random bullshit out of our collective rear end as we go.

* Find yourself a shitbox to build - The rule of thumb is that the car should commonly have been available on "Buy Here Pay Here"-type car lots in the US for $1999 at some point in history, and in stock trim it weighs less than 4200 pounds.
* If you liked it then you shoulda put a cage in it. If you liked it then you shoulda put a cage in it. If you liked it then you shoulda put a cage in it. If you liked it then you shoulda put a cage in it. Woah, Oh Oh OH!
* Strip the interior.
* Put some numbers and other poo poo on it (White on Black or Black on White numbers, per Lemons Rule 3.17).
* If you think you can get away with modifying it, go on with your bad self. You'll have to plead your case to The Consensus Of Your Competition. Good luck with that.
- Street Tires on Stock rims only.
- Anything else is fair game, if you think that your fellow competitors will still call it a shitbox after you list off your modifications. Race Organizer reserves the right to "buy" (read: "Have Gifted") any car at any time. Yeah, you might want to rethink that Viper engine choice...

Similar to Lemons, there will be three classes. "Shitbox", "Hooptie", and "AMC Pacer". A two lap qualifier plus racer consensus will determine which class you race in. Then we race for 30 (hopefully hilariously bad) minutes.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 12, 2012

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Jabs posted:

* Find yourself a shitbox to build - The rule of thumb is that the car should commonly have been available on "Buy Here Pay Here"-type car lots in the US for $1999 at some point in history, and in stock trim it weighs less than 4200 pounds.
Love the idea, but beware, $2000 was a lot of money in 1970. Especially for a used car.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

einTier posted:

Love the idea, but beware, $2000 was a lot of money in 1970. Especially for a used car.

That's what I was thinking. I can't imagine my dad paid much more than that for his '65 GTO. Maybe we could implement some sort of PI or class cap?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The main problem is that you can't really brake harder with ABS, you just think you can because you can mash the pedal down and the car stops unlike without ABS. When you are "braking hard" with ABS, what the car does is lock the brakes hundreds of times a second. This is what happens when you see skid marks that are all chopped up into little sections. The car is locking the brakes, then releasing to roll the wheels, then locking again. This isn't very good for braking, even though it is very easy for a normal driver and allows you to keep control. Controlled threshold braking will slow you down a lot faster, but you have to actually find the threshold first before you can use it.

Just because ABS wasn't coming on, doesn't mean it wasn't slowing you down in a way. You could be braking hard at a good brake point but ABS might take exception to that so kicks in to keep you "in control." The problem is that now it is conditioning you to brake earlier and easier than you really should have to. So you are taking more time and distance to slow down which slows your whole lap down. With ABS off, it's just you and your brake pedal so you have to balance between braking and locking it up. Locking up your tires obviously makes you lose control and take longer to slow down. But now you can push right to the threshold of locking your brakes. So you can dive further into a corner, brake really hard and then come out a split second before you would have when you were braking earlier.

So while ABS wasn't directly slowing you down, it conditioned you to drive slower lest you force it to turn on.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

einTier posted:

Despite "Any time in history" I think its safe to assume "$2000 in modern, relevint value""

Box volvo here i come!

• Locked thread