Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dominic White posted:

Yakuza 4 (I'd say skip 3 - 4 comes with an extensive backstory summary anyway, if you're up for a couple of hours of video) is like if River City Ransom and Shenmue had the manliest baby ever, and that baby went around beating people until their faces imploded all day long.

The counterpoint is that playing 3 [which I found to be quite good] makes 4 that much better, in that you can really appreciate the improvements.

But I do understand that some people are put off by / bored by the orphanage bits. Still a good game though, drat it. :colbert:

Also, Nier has been sitting on my shelf for ages collecting dust, never opened. Meanwhile, I am donning a rabbit head and sport coat and beating people with a dildo bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

But I do understand that some people are put off by / bored by the orphanage bits. Still a good game though, drat it. :colbert:

3 is a decent game, but 4 is huge and by the time you're completely done with it, you'll probably be just about set as far as the series goes until 5 finally comes stateside.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Harlock posted:

Personally, I liked the art style of FFO over the PSP remakes.

Content wise, I don't know if there's any difference.

FFO doesn't have all the extra side-quests and boss fights and still uses the spell charges the original NES version had rather than MP added in the PSP and GBA versions. It also plays slower. It's even inferior to the GBA remakes in this regard.

Don't bother with FFO.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Code Jockey posted:

The counterpoint is that playing 3 [which I found to be quite good] makes 4 that much better, in that you can really appreciate the improvements.

I'll never fault 3 for not being fun, but the beginning is very slow, especially if you ahve no investment in the characters.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

MrMidnight posted:

God drat dude. I don't feel so bad now.
Mission accomplished then.

I have some that have been on there for a very long time, like FF9, which I started when it was new, then we lost the discs, got it off PSN (still had the saves), but forgot wtf was going on. But yeah, almost half of the list is from Steam Sales and Humble Bundles. Although the PS3/PSN portion is just as large, and I don't really have a good excuse for that.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

SpacePig posted:

I'll never fault 3 for not being fun, but the beginning is very slow, especially if you ahve no investment in the characters.

The recaps of Yakuza 1 and 2, which are included with the third game, got me sucked in before I even played a second of the game. It's all good, and anyone who wouldn't enjoy spending a day getting drunk, fighting and gambling before heading back to look after orphans doesn't deserve a game as good as this anyway.

I never quite get this attitude about skipping games. If it is something like a fighting game, a driving game, or the latest annual sports franchise game then sure, those are basically just iterations and you go straight to the latest which, for the most part, will always be the best. But anything with even a semblance of story, especially one that continues in later games ... well you always go to the earliest one that you can get your hands on right?

drat it people, stop skipping good games.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Parkingtigers posted:

Yakuza 1 was a flawed but super fun brawler stuck somewhere inside a very, very dull Shibuya simulator. It pretty much turned me off onto the entire series, and any time people suggest Yakuza, my mind goes back to how ridiculously bland Yakuza 1 got once they dumped you in the opened-up city and expected you to go play pachinko or dress up hookers or whatever the hell.

... but then I watch that one video where the crazy dude jumps to his death for a pair of panties, and begin to wonder if they got way better.

Normally I'm with you on the sentiment, but if the mechanics got way better, at least I would happily skip story and just watch a recap.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shalinor posted:

... but then I watch that one video where the crazy dude jumps to his death for a pair of panties, and begin to wonder if they got way better.

They still have more in common with Shenmue than Saints Row, so if you're just after comedy and random acts of violence, then you're looking at the wrong series.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Yakuza 1 was a flawed but super fun brawler stuck somewhere inside a very, very dull Shibuya simulator. It pretty much turned me off onto the entire series, and any time people suggest Yakuza, my mind goes back to how ridiculously bland Yakuza 1 got once they dumped you in the opened-up city and expected you to go play pachinko or dress up hookers or whatever the hell.

Normally I'm with you on the sentiment, but if the mechanics got way better, at least I would happily skip story and just watch a recap.

Or you could just not do those boring optional parts and continue straight through the cool story parts. You aren't actually obligated to play the parts that you don't enjoy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Shalinor posted:

As a big fan of the series, I actually agree with you; Yakuza 1 was pretty lukewarm. Yakuza 2 came out and blew me away, though. I dare say that personally 2 is my favorite in the series, way more than 4. I did feel like 1 was a bit of a slog, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shalinor posted:

This might just be my own opinion but I've found the Yakuza games to be fairly schizo. You have some fun, goofy, badass, over the top action but then you'll have characters sit down in an office somewhere and spend 10-20 minutes on a pace killing plot dump. Then there's the skeevy stuff like the hostess clubs. I was really creeped out in 4 by the part where the current character, who owns a hostess club, takes one of his underperforming girls out to coach her on how to better string along and get the most cash out of the losers who come to the club.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

muscles like this? posted:

This might just be my own opinion but I've found the Yakuza games to be fairly schizo. You have some fun, goofy, badass, over the top action but then you'll have characters sit down in an office somewhere and spend 10-20 minutes on a pace killing plot dump. Then there's the skeevy stuff like the hostess clubs. I was really creeped out in 4 by the part where the current character, who owns a hostess club, takes one of his underperforming girls out to coach her on how to better string along and get the most cash out of the losers who come to the club.
Basically the same as GTA, but I think it works better in the Yakuza context. I wonder why I think that?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Yakuza 4: Ho Pimping Simulator. I just wish they let me wear a pimpin hat.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Resonance of Fate is definitely one of the most unique JRPGs I have ever played, but in the end the bizarreness of the gameplay turned me off. Especially in terms of controls, I think it needed another look.

On the positive side though it is completely free of the long, pointless cutscenes that basically define JRPGs as a genre, I really appreciated that.

Hahahahahaha. Resonance of Fate is a great game but your brain must be blocking out the many awful, awful cutscenes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

...! posted:

Hahahahahaha. Resonance of Fate is a great game but your brain must be blocking out the many awful, awful cutscenes.
No, I know they're weird and you might argue pointless, but my point is that they aren't LONG. And there really aren't that many of them compared to the ten minutes of cutscenes per every hour of gameplay that is the standard for JRPGs.

I only went about halfway through the game though so maybe they get longer after that, I dunno.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Parkingtigers posted:

The recaps of Yakuza 1 and 2, which are included with the third game, got me sucked in before I even played a second of the game. It's all good, and anyone who wouldn't enjoy spending a day getting drunk, fighting and gambling before heading back to look after orphans doesn't deserve a game as good as this anyway.

I never quite get this attitude about skipping games. If it is something like a fighting game, a driving game, or the latest annual sports franchise game then sure, those are basically just iterations and you go straight to the latest which, for the most part, will always be the best. But anything with even a semblance of story, especially one that continues in later games ... well you always go to the earliest one that you can get your hands on right?

I would imagine that most people skipped Saints Row 1. I actually jumped into Yakuza 2 and bought 3 a while after. Not sure if that was to its benefit or detriment. I was disappointed with 3, but I am not sure because I thought it was a dull game or if I was just comparing it to how awesome Yakuza 2 was and was let down.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

blackguy32 posted:

I would imagine that most people skipped Saints Row 1. I actually jumped into Yakuza 2 and bought 3 a while after. Not sure if that was to its benefit or detriment. I was disappointed with 3, but I am not sure because I thought it was a dull game or if I was just comparing it to how awesome Yakuza 2 was and was let down.

It's hard to top rescuing Haruka from the inside of a giant Japanese castle that splits open to reveal an identical Japanese castle made out of gold filled with samurai warriors whom you gun down with a mounted MG42, and then punch two tigers to death with your bare hands.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Crappy Jack posted:

It's hard to top rescuing Haruka from the inside of a giant Japanese castle that splits open to reveal an identical Japanese castle made out of gold filled with samurai warriors whom you gun down with a mounted MG42, and then punch two tigers to death with your bare hands.

Also in the same game is a sidequest where a Yakuza leader invites you into a host club, then it turns out he has a baby fetish and his associates attack you while they're wearing diapers because your main character doesn't like this baby fetish.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Crappy Jack posted:

Ineffiable posted:

Also in the same game is a sidequest where a Yakuza leader invites you into a host club, then it turns out he has a baby fetish and his associates attack you while they're wearing diapers because your main character doesn't like this baby fetish.

If these two posts don't get people to play at least one Yakuza game, then nothing will.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Ineffiable posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgi96wUrkJw&t=116s

He should go for it

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

whip posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgi96wUrkJw&t=116s

He should go for it

I'm convinced. I'm playing the Yakuza series this weekend now.

Thanks a lot, you jerks.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

RadicalR posted:

I'm convinced. I'm playing the Yakuza series this weekend now.

Thanks a lot, you jerks.

Yes. Yes!
One of us! One of us! One of us!

I feel like the credit for most of the people palying Yakuza in this thread should go to Policenaut. I think he was the one that started most of us down this path.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I feel like the credit for most of the people palying Yakuza in this thread should go to Policenaut. I think he was the one that started most of us down this path.

That or Jamesman; his LP of the first was my starting point.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I wonder if there's any chance of the first two Yakuza games coming out as PS2 Classics. I never played any of the series.

Hell, when are we going to get some more PS2 Classics anyway? We've gotten a handful so far in a couple of weekly updates and then nothing. I seem to remember SamBishop hinting that there were some amazing games in the pipeline.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

We're getting Killzone 1 on the 24th, according to Game Informer.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I can hardly say that Killzone is a "great" game. Decent, but certainly not great.

Interesting. Apparently, I already have Yakuza 1,3,4. Just missing 2. Lovely.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Killzone wasn't that good. Killzone 2 was the best in the series, which is kinda disappointing, because I really wanted an exclusive FPS series on the PS3 that could compete with Halo. Resistance is crap, and Killzone 3 was mostly disappointing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Killzone 1 sucks. Ill come out and say it. Its a buggy mess of a game and it always seems so empty. I actually tried to go back and beat it after I played Killzone 2 and I just couldn't.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

Killzone 1 sucks. Ill come out and say it. Its a buggy mess of a game and it always seems so empty. I actually tried to go back and beat it after I played Killzone 2 and I just couldn't.

My thoughts exactly. It was an interesting idea, but was to ahead of its time. The game was severely limited by the PS2 hardware.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just played through the Asura's Wrath demo and frankly I'm a bit surprised at all the praise it's been getting in here. Yes, the stuff you do in it was ridiculous but the actual gameplay was dull as hell. It basically felt like a dumbed down version of the Naruto games, which weren't exactly amazing to begin with. It's a game that seems like it would be way more fun to watch than play. It doesn't help that the plot also seems to be straight out of generic Anime town and the game was kind of ugly (not helped by the fact that the PS3 version probably looks worse than it should thanks to the fact that it's using the Unreal Engine).

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SpacePig posted:

Yes. Yes!
One of us! One of us! One of us!

Hee hee enjoy your 20 hours of UFO catcher gameplay RadicalR

God I cannot wait until Dead Souls. I just want to beat the gently caress out of zombies with Kiryu and the gang!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Pablo Gigante posted:

I wonder if there's any chance of the first two Yakuza games coming out as PS2 Classics. I never played any of the series.

Hell, when are we going to get some more PS2 Classics anyway? We've gotten a handful so far in a couple of weekly updates and then nothing. I seem to remember SamBishop hinting that there were some amazing games in the pipeline.

Yakuza could use it. The first two games can be hard to track down for a good price.

I'm really curious about Square's FFX HD rerelease. Could we finally get the international edition?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

I'm really curious about Square's FFX HD rerelease. Could we finally get the international edition?

I hope it's the international edition, but I haven't heard anything one way or the other.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Asura's Wrath demo is like watching a lovely DragonBall Z-type anime, and occasionally brushing up against your controller with a finger or maybe your elbow.

Anyone looking for a good game (or maybe a game at all?) need not apply.

Some cool artwork, but kinda retarded overall.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Well, now I've got to try out that demo since I've heard opinions ranging from really fun and convinced me to buy the game to a big retarded anime.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I can't speak to the whole game, but if a Demo truly is a "best foot forward to encourage sales" I would steer clear. It feels like you go minutes without having to touch your controller, and even if that is an exaggeration, you'll touch your controller once, then wait however long again.

There's a couple of REALLY lovely sections where you can fire and run around, and do really one-note shithouse combat. Mostly, it's just you watching 2 people do impossible things. And not impossible in a cool way, but impossible like, speaking to eachother in averagely loud voices, hundreds of miles apart from each other in space.

or stabbing you with a ginormous sword that literally pins you to the ground and comes out the other side of the world.

The ridiculousness and garbage-dump Anime stupidity MIGHT be tolerable if there was an actual game there. There isn't.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I must be the only person alive to really loved the first Killzone.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I kind of liked the multiplayer for that Beach Head level.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

SpacePig posted:

Well, now I've got to try out that demo since I've heard opinions ranging from really fun and convinced me to buy the game to a big retarded anime.
The story is terrible in a really funny way and there's no way it's not self aware of this fact. It feels like it was designed in the style as God Hand, only with (much) worse gameplay attached. I'm looking forward to it because there aren't enough games I find funny and that's worth sitting through what feels like kind of mediocre gameplay.

It will probably be $15 a month after release either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Killzone wasn't that good. Killzone 2 was the best in the series, which is kinda disappointing, because I really wanted an exclusive FPS series on the PS3 that could compete with Halo. Resistance is crap, and Killzone 3 was mostly disappointing.

I always considered Warhawk to be the PS3 equivilent of Halo to be honest, despite the third/first person differences, it certainly filled the same slot on the PS3 that Halo does on the 360. I think the same will go for Starhawk also, but even moreso.

Regarding Killzone, I've always viewed that as competing with Gears of War rather than Halo but again, that's just me v:shobon:v

• Locked thread