Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SWITCH HITLER posted:

"Concepcion was the Ozzie Smith of his day"

well that would be all fine and good except that their careers overlapped by 11 years

And even ignoring that, no he wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

stimpy posted:

How do you think Dave Concepcion is worthy of the HoF, and NOT Barry Larkin?
if you rearrange the letters in "Randy Miller" and get rid of some letters and add some other letters, you get "Joe Morgan"

(thank god joe morgan does not have a hall of fame vote)

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Maybe someone that follows baseball more than I do can explain why someone who doesn't cover baseball gets to have a vote? Do people that don't cover college football vote on the Heisman or AP poll?

Anyway, I thought The Platoon Advantage had the best answer for people rationalizing stupid HOF voting.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
You get a Hall of Fame vote by being a BBWAA member for 10 years and then get to keep it forever. There are a lot of people like Phil Hersch who have votes but haven't covered baseball in ages because of that.

Hersch actually seems pretty knowledgeable about baseball to this day and hates Rachel Flatt as much as I do so I'm okay with him though :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cross-posted from the gif thread, but I just don't get why anybody would bother putting these words on paper even for an op-ed piece:

City of Atlanta doesn't deserve win

I guess Rob Parker's job is to be ESPN NY's crazy militant homer guy?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

No Safe Word posted:

Cross-posted from the gif thread, but I just don't get why anybody would bother putting these words on paper even for an op-ed piece:

Given the amount of discussion it's generated, I'd say Parker accomplished his mission.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

barkingclam posted:

Maybe someone that follows baseball more than I do can explain why someone who doesn't cover baseball gets to have a vote? Do people that don't cover college football vote on the Heisman or AP poll?

Anyway, I thought The Platoon Advantage had the best answer for people rationalizing stupid HOF voting.

That one got them kicked out of the SweetSpot network

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Mornacale posted:

Everyone, I'm going to let you all in on a little secret: most of the BBWAA writers make most of their decisions for purely emotional reasons, and then make post hoc rationalizations of who they do/don't want in. There is no rational process by which you can question that vote, because there was no rational process used to make it.

Similarly, I am increasingly convinced that Jack Morris's case is now almost entirely about nostalgia.

The fact that Cal Ripken Jr. didn't get 100% of the vote (I know, he got 98% but still) proves this.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

CBS hired Jim Rome and is apparently having him involved in pretty much all of their coverage across sports :psypop:

e: :stonk: also works here

leokitty fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 11, 2012

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

leokitty posted:

CBS hired Jim Rome and is apparently having him involved in pretty much all of their coverage across sports :psypop:

I don't know if I can handle Jim Rome during the NCAA tournament. Or anything else really, but especially the tournament.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The field caught up to Jim Rome a long time ago, I don't see how this move is particularly horrifying

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Crion posted:

3B Yankees is the new QB Eagles

I believe you mean Redskins LB #56

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

stimpy posted:

I don't know if I can handle Jim Rome during the NCAA tournament. Or anything else really, but especially the tournament.

Still can't believe that fucker makes a reported $30 mil/year off his radio show.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

haljordan posted:

The fact that Cal Ripken Jr. didn't get 100% of the vote (I know, he got 98% but still) proves this.

Cal Ripken Jr didn't get 100% because of the Pete Rose guys + a (NY?) sportswriter who used it to make a name for himself by insinuating Ripken used steroids and that's why he stayed healthy all those games

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

No Safe Word posted:

if he's going strictly by attendance to prove his point, how are miami and tampa not by far the worst? The Braves were in the upper 50th percentile in both years shown and it was important enough in his story to get the lead photo caption.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

BackInTheUSSR posted:

if he's going strictly by attendance to prove his point, how are miami and tampa not by far the worst? The Braves were in the upper 50th percentile in both years shown and it was important enough in his story to get the lead photo caption.

Because neither of those teams were facing the Giants in a playoff game?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Yeah I don't get why being average to above average in attendance for most things qualifies them as "the worst sports town"

quote:

Without question, Atlanta is the worst sports town in America.

If the New York Yankees are the standard for excellence in baseball, Atlanta is the epitome of the bottom of the barrel when it comes to fan support.

quote:

Your typical Atlanta fan -- who is probably from another city since so few are actually from ATL -- will be preoccupied with something else. They might not even be sure what time the game is on.

In fact, at some point, they might ask a friend -- filled with sweet tea -- at a pork-saturated barbeque, "Are the Falcons playing today?"

But it's Atlanta, known as Hotlanta.

It's not for their passion when it comes to sports, just the weather. Oh yes, it gets hot down there.

quote:

The NHL wanted to believe Atlanta is a major-league city, a city that could support all four major sports. But it can't. Atlanta is now the first city in the NHL's modern history to lose two hockey teams. So sad.

That's why it would be a waste for the NFL gods to allow the city of Atlanta to lukewarmly enjoy a postseason win.

The city and its lame fans simply don't deserve it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Thrashers moved because of their dumbshit owners running the team into the ground, not because of the city of Atlanta

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

quote:

But it's Atlanta, known as Hotlanta.

It's not for their passion when it comes to sports, just the weather. Oh yes, it gets hot down there.

These are my favorite paragraphs in the history of sportswriting, btw.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

"epitome of the bottom of the barrel" how do you loving get paid to write that phrase

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

If the Yankees started stinking their attendance would drop. It didn't actually go through the roof until they acquired A-Rod V:shobon:V

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
As a part-time Southerner, holy Jesus is that offensive in so many ways. Atlanta blows, sure, but for absolutely none of the reasons that were outlined in that piece of toilet paper.

I hate Northeastern sportswriters so much.

Well, I hate all sportswriters, but especially New York and Boston ones.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
The concept of a team/fans of a team not "deserving" to win because they don't attend games, or because other people who live in the same city aren't fans at all, is possibly the most mindbending, ludicrous concept ingrained in the world of sports. Who are all these people who are somehow obligated to like or care about baseball enough to go to games and buy merch. If someone doesn't want to go to games, they don't want to go to games. :confused:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The theory is that the people who didn't watch the games and follow the team previously will become glory-hunters once the team starts winning. The question is whether they "deserve" to revel in the glow that comes with their team winning a title. You're right in that it's all pretty silly.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Atlanta is a loving awful sports town but that has nothing to do with deserving to win anything

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

The Prisoner posted:

As a part-time writer, holy Jesus is that offensive in so many ways.

This too.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

leokitty posted:

If the Yankees started stinking their attendance would drop. It didn't actually go through the roof until they acquired A-Rod V:shobon:V

Attendance at the stadium from 2005-2008 was the most amazing thing. 2008 had exactly 7 games under 50,000 people :psyduck:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

SWITCH HITLER posted:

Attendance at the stadium from 2005-2008 was the most amazing thing. 2008 had exactly 7 games under 50,000 people :psyduck:

That's mostly number magic outside of August and September, honestly. Most of the time on weeknights it looked like this

(about 2/3-3/4 full)

And during the first two months of the year the weather was terrible and it was empty

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

leokitty posted:

That's mostly number magic outside of August and September, honestly. Most of the time on weeknights it looked like this

[snip]

(about 2/3-3/4 full)

And during the first two months of the year the weather was terrible and it was empty

If following the Red Sox has taught me anything it's that you can spin a 3/4 empty stadium for game two of a doubleheader on a rainy Sunday with the worst pitcher in the world starting as a "sell-out," and the local media will eat it up.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
New Yankee Stadium will have 2-3 entire sections empty (I assume they're reserved or something) and they're pretty much at 45-52k every game.

On that note it is really fascinating watching clips of the dynasty years and seeing the upper deck in right pretty much completely empty. My dad always talks about how he could just go up and get a ticket on gameday until A-Rod was brought in.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

The Goog posted:

If following the Red Sox has taught me anything it's that you can spin a 3/4 empty stadium for game two of a doubleheader on a rainy Sunday with the worst pitcher in the world starting as a "sell-out," and the local media will eat it up.

"Sellouts" are judged based on the number of tickets sold, not the actual seated attendance that passed through the gates.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Nut Bunnies posted:

New Yankee Stadium will have 2-3 entire sections empty (I assume they're reserved or something) and they're pretty much at 45-52k every game.

On that note it is really fascinating watching clips of the dynasty years and seeing the upper deck in right pretty much completely empty. My dad always talks about how he could just go up and get a ticket on gameday until A-Rod was brought in.

I was able to do this until the new stadium opened for most games. Nowadays the upperdeck is pretty much always sold out.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

zakharov posted:

I was able to do this until the new stadium opened for most games. Nowadays the upperdeck is pretty much always sold out.

It's something like a full 33% smaller, bleachers are 50% smaller.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

chutwig posted:

"Sellouts" are judged based on the number of tickets sold, not the actual seated attendance that passed through the gates.

Of course. But when the actual attendance is that small, and tickets are almost always available day-of-game even when the stadium winds up packed, it's basically impossible to accept that every available ticket was sold to someone other than the Boston Red Sox.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Atlanta is a loving awful sports town but that has nothing to do with deserving to win anything

Never having been to Atlanta, but following the Braves my entire life, I was wondering if the story about the Ted having no public transportation to it has anything to do with the Braves' lack of support.

I would hope it was that instead of taking all the winning seasons for granted in the 90s.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

stuart scott irl posted:

That one got them kicked out of the SweetSpot network
FYI it was revealed yesterday that Ol' Bighead Peter Abraham was the sportswriter who complained to ESPN and got The Platoon Advantage kicked out of the SweetSpot network. He threatened to sue The Platoon Advantage and ESPN for defamation of character because he couldn't loving figure out that the Platoon Advantage article was satire.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

peepoogenderparts posted:

Never having been to Atlanta, but following the Braves my entire life, I was wondering if the story about the Ted having no public transportation to it has anything to do with the Braves' lack of support.

I would hope it was that instead of taking all the winning seasons for granted in the 90s.

There is public transportation, but it is a bit of a pain. You have to take the train to the downtown station (Five Points), then you can catch a shuttle to Turner Field from there, it is about a 10 minute shuttle ride I think? The problem is that the train lines only run North-South and East-West, and only in Fulton and Dekalb county, which doesn't cover very much of Metro Atlanta

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is it me or does Skip Bayless suck? When he and Stephen A. Smith are on ESPN its almost unwatchable for me.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

E2M2 posted:

Is it me or does Skip Bayless suck? When he and Stephen A. Smith are on ESPN its almost unwatchable for me.

No you are correct, he does suck. I too am just discovering this in the year 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Chicago fans had to endure at least a year of Skip Bayless columns in the Tribune, although at the time, I thought that the Trib editors just made up a "Skip Bayless" persona and used a head shot from some square-jawed 1950s sports columnist as his photo.