Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Kind of disappointed that there was no Mission Impossible review this week :smith:

It didn't open wide this week. Just in IMAX theaters. I imagine when it opens in regular cinemas, it will get a review.

It's pretty fantastic too. Easily the most fun movie in the M:I franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yeah, I thought so too. I feel like my brother watched it wrong, though; he couldn't get over how ridiculous the gadgets and stunts were, which was half the fun for me. A lot of the other half was Simon Pegg.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It didn't open wide this week. Just in IMAX theaters. I imagine when it opens in regular cinemas, it will get a review.

It was in a few hundred regular theaters too. Went and saw it in completely overpriced digital XD Sunday.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I'm glad on some weird sadistic level that The Darkest Hour is terrible. The first trailer I saw was the one that was just the dog sitting there and suddenly the thing happens and I just laughed out loud. I couldn't figure it out, was that supposed to be scary? And then the quotes in later TV commercials were just as laughable. "If we go out there, we're dust!"

Maybe they should have played it for laughs like Slither and made it a comedy?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The caption "Spoiler: He falls and dies" on the Mission Impossible pic made me laugh. Great job, Clumsy!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So let me see if I got this right: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo movie spends a whopping 90 minutes with the libel subplot? It doesn't even qualify as a subplot in the book: it's just something that happens at the beginning to get us into the main plot, only to pop up at the end as a way to give the story closure and to remind us that it happened. Overall it takes up less than 50 pages.

Also, is Rooney Mara a better Lisabeth than the actress in the Swedish version? My mom is convinced that no one can play her better than in the Swedish version.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

So let me see if I got this right: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo movie spends a whopping 90 minutes with the libel subplot? It doesn't even qualify as a subplot in the book: it's just something that happens at the beginning to get us into the main plot, only to pop up at the end as a way to give the story closure and to remind us that it happened. Overall it takes up less than 50 pages.

Also, is Rooney Mara a better Lisabeth than the actress in the Swedish version? My mom is convinced that no one can play her better than in the Swedish version.
No, it spends 60 minutes or so on the libel subplot/other unnecessary bullshit. The remaining 90 minutes is the movie worth seeing.

And Rooney Mara was better IMO.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I can't say, because I haven't seen the Swedish film, but I really liked Mara as Lisbeth. She was the one thing that really worked (well, that and Daniel Craig being bewildered by loving everything.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Y-Hat posted:

It's also there to establish Blomkvist as the Heroic Investigative Journalist Of Heroism. Much in the same way that his business partner is there to establish him as The Greatest Lover In The Western World.

Seriously, I like the books, but Larsson should have just named him Gary Stu.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's also there to establish Blomkvist as the Heroic Investigative Journalist Of Heroism. Much in the same way that his business partner is there to establish him as The Greatest Lover In The Western World.

Actually, it makes him more of a pussy if he needs that motivation to get out to the island. Seriously, as a journalist, I would jump at the chance to spend a year investigating a 40-year-old murder if it involved high-ranking executives in a multinational investigation. Throughout both adaptations, I've wondered why he's so hesitant to partake of the investigation, only agreeing once he's offered evidence that would exonerate him from the libel charge. His natural curiosity is seriously lacking; no journalist worth his weight in printer ink would undertake such an investigation only on a bribe.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
ProfessorClumsy, I thought Mission Impossible 4 was really stupid, and not in a good way. Even as a dumb, mindless action movie there was only one scene that stood out to me, and that was in the middle of the movie where he loving runs down the skyscraper. Other than that it wasn't even that much of a spectacle. It was just flat-out mediocre at best.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

ProfessorClumsy, I thought Mission Impossible 4 was really stupid, and not in a good way. Even as a dumb, mindless action movie there was only one scene that stood out to me, and that was in the middle of the movie where he loving runs down the skyscraper. Other than that it wasn't even that much of a spectacle. It was just flat-out mediocre at best.

The material is weak, but Brad Bird has done incredible work with it. A lesser director would have made something unwatchable. It's kind of meaningless to call something dumb and mindless when you haven't seen New Year's Eve.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

jeremy oval office posted:

No, it spends 60 minutes or so on the libel subplot/other unnecessary bullshit. The remaining 90 minutes is the movie worth seeing.
Ah OK, I mixed up the part of the movie that's worth seeing with the part that isn't. 60 minutes is still too much to spend on something that, once again, can hardly qualify as a subplot.

jeremy oval office posted:

And Rooney Mara was better IMO.
Cool. My mom will probably see it anyway with my dad since they're both retired and have nothing better to do these days, so hopefully she'll be pleasantly surprised.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I never thought of it that way, but this makes sense, especially since (I think) Larsson was also a journalist who dug for corruption.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
In hindsight, I really wish I'd given Skyline a higher score.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

So after all that hard work, I proved myself to be a loving idiot by setting the publish date to 1st Jan 2011. Hopefully I can fix that, but here's the link in the meantime.

edit: Okay, I fixed it. That was easy.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
"Insidious is the most unique, original and affecting horror film of recent years. Unfortunately, like so many great horror films, it will probably take another twenty to thirty years before most people notice."

This is the funniest joke I've seen on SA in years.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I gotta say that I'm swayed by Vargo's argument about Breaking Dawn Part 1 being the movie of 2011. Replace "In God We Trust" with "Why the gently caress not?" as our national motto.

NutPeg posted:

"Insidious is the most unique, original and affecting horror film of recent years. Unfortunately, like so many great horror films, it will probably take another twenty to thirty years before most people notice."

It doesn't seem too farfetched to me. At the time of its release, The Shining was critically panned, thought to be Kubrick's worst film, and even nominated for a Razzie or two. Only time can tell if Insidious will receive the same revision.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 2, 2012

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Why was The Shining a Razzie nominee (along with Kubrick)? Were critics turned off by the surreal elements, or that the movie was not completely faithful to the original text?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

At the time of its release, The Shining was critically panned, thought to be Kubrick's worst film, and even nominated for a Razzie or two.

I had no idea.

The Dragon Tattoo review made me mad because now I don't want to see it. The libel subplot is less irksome in the book but doesn't even need to be featured in the movie, period. :colbert:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Your review of Kill List really made me want to see it, but is it a thriller or a horror movie? IMDB says its both and I'm really ashamed of saying so but I don't really do pure horror-movies. I like them! I just can't watch them. I just hit a point where I turn it off or walk away.

edit; I can watch horror in groups of more then two.

Affi fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 9, 2012

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
I hate to be that guy, but in the Iron Lady review you wrote about "minors strikes" where I am pretty sure you meant "miners' strikes". You're welcome :tipshat:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Affi posted:

Your review of Kill List really made me want to see it, but is it a thriller or a horror movie? IMDB says its both and I'm really ashamed of saying so but I don't really do pure horror-movies. I like them! I just can't watch them. I just hit a point where I turn it off or walk away.

edit; I can watch horror in groups of more then two.

It's definitely more of a thriller than a horror film. Well worth checking out!

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Zenith Nadir posted:

I hate to be that guy, but in the Iron Lady review you wrote about "minors strikes" where I am pretty sure you meant "miners' strikes". You're welcome :tipshat:

Whoops! Reminds me of Galaxy Quest.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As far as I'm concerned, there are only two kinds of ice hockey movies: Slap Shot and everything else. I'll stay away from Goon, which shouldn't be too hard since I haven't seen it playing anywhere.

Is a review of Beneath the Darkness forthcoming?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Y-Hat posted:

Is a review of Beneath the Darkness forthcoming?

Possibly, if there's another slow week anytime soon. This week my choice was limited to whatever was on VOD, and it was either Kill List or that.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Hoop Laced poo poo posted:

Agreed, I did not enjoy Insidious, thought it mediocre, and I seem to recall the original SA review panned it pretty badly :confused: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/current-movie-reviews/hop-source-code.php?page=3

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I wrote that article. Ian, who enjoyed the film a great deal more than I did, wrote the follow-up article, in which he mentions my distaste for it.

Insidious is one of those rare reviews where I wish I could get a do-over, because after I wrote the review, I realized that a lot of the points I was upset with were kinda the point of the movie. I declared my change of heart in this thread, in the CineD gen chat thread, and on our Facebook page.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Vargo posted:

I wrote that article. Ian, who enjoyed the film a great deal more than I did, wrote the follow-up article, in which he mentions my distaste for it.

Insidious is one of those rare reviews where I wish I could get a do-over, because after I wrote the review, I realized that a lot of the points I was upset with were kinda the point of the movie. I declared my change of heart in this thread, in the CineD gen chat thread, and on our Facebook page.

In the game of movie reviews, there are no do-overs, Mr. Vargo.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

We discussed this as well in our podcast, Marty really didn't respond well to Insidious on his first viewing and that's reflected in his review. That's why I wanted to write about Insidious for the year end, because I never got the chance to gush about one of my favourite films of the year and it was a shame that the official review was rather negative.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Re the Dragon Tattoo...

I hadn't seen the original movie and did so after reading the review and thought it was a decent film. So thanks for that.

I am unsure why we need American versions of films that were perfectly fine in their own language (Let the right one In comes to mind). I have heard people who otherwise seem pretty intelligent and capable go on about how they can't stand subtitled movies, baffles the poo poo out of me. Guess they don't get to partake in Kurosawa and so their lives will forever be lacking.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Bedevere posted:

I am unsure why we need American versions of films that were perfectly fine in their own language (Let the right one In comes to mind). I have heard people who otherwise seem pretty intelligent and capable go on about how they can't stand subtitled movies, baffles the poo poo out of me. Guess they don't get to partake in Kurosawa and so their lives will forever be lacking.

"Why are we watching a foreign movie? You'd think if it was any good they would make an American version." - Hank Hill

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Bedevere posted:

Re the Dragon Tattoo...

I hadn't seen the original movie and did so after reading the review and thought it was a decent film. So thanks for that.

From a strictly business sense, it's pretty simple. The Stieg Larsson books are really popular in the US. Foreign language films generally are not. Studios know there's money to be made from remaking the film for American audiences.

I'm a fan of plenty of foreign language films, but if Hollywood wants to remake one of them with a talented director, I'm certainly not against it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jay Dub posted:

From a strictly business sense, it's pretty simple. The Stieg Larsson books are really popular in the US. Foreign language films generally are not. Studios know there's money to be made from remaking the film for American audiences.

I'm a fan of plenty of foreign language films, but if Hollywood wants to remake one of them with a talented director, I'm certainly not against it.

compare Infernal Affairs/The Departed

with

[REC]/Quarantine

or

anything entertaining/Jack and Jill...

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

compare Infernal Affairs/The Departed

with

[REC]/Quarantine

or

anything entertaining/Jack and Jill...

Do I really need to go back to my last post and italicize/underline the word 'talented'? I'm not saying I want all foreign language films remade into English. I'm saying if David Fincher wants to take a crack at Dragon Tattoo or if Spike Lee really wants to remake Oldboy, I'm willing to at least see what they do with the material before dismissing it completely. If the news breaks tomorrow that some nobody got the job to direct an American version of Akira, I'd be much less interested than if they hired, say, the Coen brothers.

Speaking of which, it turns out Contraband is a remake of an Icelandic film called Reykjavik-Rotterdam. Now I've never heard of this film before, nor have I heard of the directors of either film (turns out the director of Contraband played the Mark Wahlberg role in the Icelandic version). That said, I'm now at least interested in seeing the original, which is not something I would have said this morning. Whether or not a person gives two shits about a film being a remake is entirely up to that person's taste in movies. A lot of people don't care about the original and only want to watch it in English; that's fine. Like Bedevere said, those people are just gonna miss out on some excellent movies that happen to be in another language.

Sometimes a remake can come from some really talented people; sometimes it's completely motivated by money. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo strikes me as an instance where it happens to be both.

Jay Dub fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 14, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jay Dub posted:

Do I really need to go back to my last post and italicize/underline the word 'talented'? I'm not saying I want all foreign language films remade into English. I'm saying if David Fincher wants to take a crack at Dragon Tattoo or if Spike Lee really wants to remake Oldboy, I'm willing to at least see what they do with the material before dismissing it completely. If the news breaks tomorrow that some nobody got the job to direct an American version of Akira, I'd be much less interested than if they hired, say, the Coen brothers.

Speaking of which, it turns out Contraband is a remake of an Icelandic film called Reykjavik-Rotterdam. Now I've never heard of this film before, nor have I heard of the directors of either film (turns out the director of Contraband played the Mark Wahlberg role in the Icelandic version). That said, I'm now at least interested in seeing the original, which is not something I would have said this morning. Whether or not a person gives two shits about a film being a remake is entirely up to that person's taste in movies. A lot of people don't care about the original and only want to watch it in English; that's fine. Like Bedevere said, those people are just gonna miss out on some excellent movies that happen to be in another language.

Sometimes a remake can come from some really talented people; sometimes it's completely motivated by money. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo strikes me as an instance where it happens to be both.

No, I'm absolutely agreeing with you. Scorsese and Fincher did excellent jobs of reinterpreting the material because they are talented and not hacks. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo had astonishing boring legal poo poo in both versions so it wasn't that the remake added it.

Now if Dennis Dugan attempted a remake I would run screaming.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Along these lines sometimes altering the time frame or perspective, or putting a remake in the right hands can be a great thing - I am just baffled about the mentality around a film being panned because it isn't in "American."

I am also baffled about the need to remake good movies. There is an incredible array of films that didn't need to be remade; Stepford Wives, Fame/Center Stage, Planet of the Apes, Rollerball, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Psycho, Disturbia/Rear Window and so on. Seriously, how big are your balls when you think "I can do a Hitchcock film better than Hitchcock!"

Oh wait, it isn't in color, which means it's un-American.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
How can anyone say Professor Clumsy isn't funny? Look, he said "penis" a bunch of times!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

As someone with a lot of friends who drone on about the merits of anime, the takedown on Redline was pretty satisfying. I've yet to see the anime-anything that'll redeem the genre, despite a considerable list of would-be contenders for "the good one".

Credit to the Carnage review for having some observant points in there that I may or may not use as my own in casual conversation with cinema-loving friends.

The Underworld review was pretty good too, if only for letting me know they're somehow still making Underworld movies.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

But Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close isn't about 9/11! It even says so in the trailer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

But Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close isn't about 9/11! It even says so in the trailer!

My sister read the book and got mad at me when I said the movie looked terrible, then went "Well, it's not really about 9/11"

• Locked thread