Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What was the RAZR's (subsidized) release price, $199 or $299?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What was the RAZR's (subsidized) release price, $199 or $299?

$299

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Verizon Wireless Megathread: Samsung Motorola is loving us again

If I bought a RAZR after 11/15 I'd be taking it back right now while I still could, and wait a couple weeks for the MAXX.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

And Verizon has never let them. Did I miss something and they had a press release that said Verizon devices that get ICS upgrades will be unlocked too?

Some random XDA poster speculated that an ICS update would be a prerequisite for—but not necessarily lead to—an unlocked bootloader on the international version of the RAZR. Filter that through a million idiots on the internet and you get "Motorola's ICS updates will unlock the bootloader!!!" Until we hear something from Moto besides that weasel-y and clearly-they-hope-we-forgot-about-it "Maybe at the end of 2011 if we're allowed" press release from 8 months ago, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Also, as everyone else has pointed out, Moto is now the only carrier with locked devices on Verizon. "Sorry, the big mean carrier is making us do it" isn't going to cut it anymore, especially when Moto's international devices are also ALL locked right now—except the Atrix, and that was due to a leaked engineering bootloader, not an official release from Moto.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Verizon Wireless Megathread: Samsung Motorola is loving us again

If I bought a RAZR after 11/15 I'd be taking it back right now while I still could, and wait a couple weeks for the MAXX.

That is a nice idea, but the Razr was supposed to be the apex of Verizon phones. now the MAXX, and soon it will be the phone (now + 2 months from now)

(especially since the razr was only a penny. I loathe spending $35 to switch + subsidized phone cost)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon is all in with LTE, full stop.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33370_1-57357241/verizon-all-our-smartphones-will-be-4g-lte/?part=rss&subj=latest-news&tag=title

The age of the 3G smartphone is over.

quote:

From now on, nearly every smartphone, wireless hot spot, tablet, and Netbook that Verizon offers will come with LTE guns a-blazing. Yes, Virginia, that includes Windows Phone and BlackBerry devices, too.

There will be the occasional exception, however. For instance, phones on Verizon's push-to-talk network are 3G-only for now, and will remain that way until further notice.

Verizon's clear, unyielding stance on 4G--"a hard requirement," according to Verizon--may partially explain why it has picked up only one Windows Phone so far.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Verizon is all in with LTE, full stop.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33370_1-57357241/verizon-all-our-smartphones-will-be-4g-lte/?part=rss&subj=latest-news&tag=title

The age of the 3G smartphone is over.a

So there goes BLAZIN!1 fast speeds due to network load? :haw:

In all seriousness, this should be a fairly obvious evolution of cell technology, no?

I'd say in 5 yrs, 5g will be the new 4g or something like that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hotsauce posted:

In all seriousness, this should be a fairly obvious evolution of cell technology, no?

Yes with a caveat.

AT&T has only committed to rolling out LTE to their HSPA+ areas. I'm not even sure what Sprint has committed to as far as their 4G coverage plans.

Verizon has stated in no uncertain terms that they are going to for total network conversion with LTE. Whereas AT&T is going to have 3G areas (or less) for years to come with no clear declaration on when they are going to go away, Verizon is going to be pretty much 100% LTE in 2-4 years. The CDMA network will only be a legacy network at that point for people with older devices. Even the free lovely flip phones will be LTE and LTE only in a few years.

This smartphone mandate is the first volley. They are making sure that two years down the line, the vast majority of their smartphone customers are going to be able to use the LTE network. Once the 2nd and 3rd gen of LTE chipsets come out as well as combined CDMA/LTE chipsts, you're going to see LTE creep down the device tree. That way when they flip the LTE voice switch, they'll be able to transition even dumbphone users.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

This smartphone mandate is the first volley. They are making sure that two years down the line, the vast majority of their smartphone customers are going to be able to use the LTE network. Once the 2nd and 3rd gen of LTE chipsets come out as well as combined CDMA/LTE chipsts, you're going to see LTE creep down the device tree. That way when they flip the LTE voice switch, they'll be able to transition even dumbphone users.

I actually like this idea. Sometimes you just have to drag consumers, kicking and screaming, into something that's better. Once you have a significant amount of your customers on LTE devices (75%, per se?) then you can start shutting down old infrastructure and lowering your operating overhead while being able to improve QoS in the new network. It's win-win for everyone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Wonder what would happen if Apple said "not yet" for LTE on the iPhone 5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I think the better question is how Verizon is going to curb 4S purchases after an LTE iPhone comes out.

Apple typically keeps the last gen around as a lower cost model when the new gen comes out and they are typically the best selling.

So, expect plan shenanigans and various other incentives to keep people off 3G devices in the next year or so as all 3G smartphones get flushed out of the retail channel.

I'm almost willing to bet that the 'double the data' promotion becomes standard plans for LTE. You'd have the choice between 2gb on 3G or 4gb on LTE for the same price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They will probably just say "The iPhone 4S doesn't fit with the new standard, it will not be sold anymore." And if Apple doesn't put LTE in the iPhone 5, then people either flock back to AT&T to have the new iPhone but have slower speeds, or they abandon Apple and stick with Android on Verizon. Once LTE gets a bit better and has better coverage, I think people on iPhones would start to see how their phone doesn't download things as fast as LTE android phones do. Apple would be dumb not to make the iPhone 5 4G. Plus you can just start an ad campaign saying "iPhone is slower than Android, look how fast Android downloads your youtube videos. Only on Verizon."

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 12, 2012

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Cojawfee posted:

Plus you can just start an ad campaign saying "iPhone is slower than Android, look how fast Android downloads your youtube videos. Only on Verizon."

Waste time faster on America's Most Reliable Network!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Where's the best price/value to grab a Gnex on an upgrade/last NE2 discount? Also the same question but about the rezound.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

My girlfriend got hers for $249 through Amazon Wireless, but that was right after it had released.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BTW, Verizon let out that the Droid 4 and LG Spectrum will be getting global roaming support by June.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=9660

This confirms something I thought for awhile, Verizon needs to get things sorted on the back end properly before they can support a global LTE device.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

bull3964 posted:

I'm almost willing to bet that the 'double the data' promotion becomes standard plans for LTE. You'd have the choice between 2gb on 3G or 4gb on LTE for the same price.

No, its going to be "Shared data plans, Now on Verizon 4G LTE"

That will get a ton of people to dump 3G.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Mighty Horse posted:

No, its going to be "Shared data plans, Now on Verizon 4G LTE"

That will get a ton of people to dump 3G.

When do you expect them to dump grandfathered unlimited data?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ModestMuse posted:

When do you expect them to dump grandfathered unlimited data?

When they start stipulating that buying a new device and reupping your contract causes you to choose a capped data plan.

It already says in the contract that if you take a discounted device then they may require you to take a current plan. They don't now, but it seems to me this allows them to do so in the future.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
When my unlimited data gets ripped from my cold dead hands I will have little reason to stay with Verizon beyond what phone do I want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just took a survey the other day suggesting that they're going to combine data among multiple devices. I basically said I wouldn't choose any of them since they're all horribly expensive compared to what I have now.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

When they start stipulating that buying a new device and reupping your contract causes you to choose a capped data plan.

It already says in the contract that if you take a discounted device then they may require you to take a current plan. They don't now, but it seems to me this allows them to do so in the future.

Wha?

They already do this now. It's just that you can call back about 5 seconds after taking a "current plan" and have them turn unlimited data back on. I don't think they'd be willing to kill that off anytime soon.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I just took a survey the other day suggesting that they're going to combine data among multiple devices.
Verizon has been hinting about shared data plans for a little while now.

I wonder if that means family data plans. Not very interesting for anyone on unlimited plans but definitely interesting for anyone with a family member who isn't likely to hog the data pipe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rastor posted:

Verizon has been hinting about shared data plans for a little while now.

I wonder if that means family data plans. Not very interesting for anyone on unlimited plans but definitely interesting for anyone with a family member who isn't likely to hog the data pipe.
Some of the options were definitely for family data plans.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Codiusprime posted:

When my unlimited data gets ripped from my cold dead hands I will have little reason to stay with Verizon beyond what phone do I want.

Consider yourself lucky. Really the only game in town where I live (Long Island, NY) is Verizon vs. ATT. Sprint and T-Mobile's coverage is horrific.

:smith:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Droid 4 marches closer to release: the owner's manual.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Consider yourself lucky. Really the only game in town where I live (Long Island, NY) is Verizon vs. ATT. Sprint and T-Mobile's coverage is horrific.

:smith:

I'm going to have to switch eventually to Att as I will be moving up to AK again. That's going to be a dark day.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Rastor posted:

I wonder if that means family data plans. Not very interesting for anyone on unlimited plans ...
Yes, it is. Or could be, depending on the price.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Wha?

They already do this now. It's just that you can call back about 5 seconds after taking a "current plan" and have them turn unlimited data back on. I don't think they'd be willing to kill that off anytime soon.

What? No they don't. When I upgraded from an Inc to a Nexus, there wasn't even a mention of tiered data, and I still have my unlimited plan. I've never read a report of what you said happening unless it was a mistake, and even most of those were people using third party retailers who screwed things up. Where did you get this idea?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sometimes you need to change your calling plan when you upgrade, but the data plan shouldn't change.

If you were on an ancient AC voice plan, you wouldn't have been able to upgrade to a new smartphone without changing the calling plan. The guy at Costco was actually very good at being up front about all this and explaining the process. He checked my voice plan to ensure it was still a valid one. He said though that even if he had to change it, he wouldn't need to touch the dataplan.

My guess is some reps are just ham fisted or just don't give a gently caress and reset the whole drat plan (voice and data) if they have to change the voice plan for some reason.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rastor posted:

Droid 4 marches closer to release: the owner's manual.

Is it bad that I just read the whole thing? :(

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Kyrosiris posted:

What did you learn?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

What did you learn?

That I will need to be reskinning things somehow as soon as I can, because I don't really like all of Moto's additions? :v:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Kyrosiris posted:

I tried to, but my work computer choked on a pdf that big.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Welp, the Galaxy Nexus is still backordered on Amazon. Any word on which part of that 1-3 weeks is more likely to see more stock?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Verizon would go "OK."

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Can anyone tell me how fast the LTE hotspot is on the new android devices? (Galaxy Nexus, DROID Razr, etc..) Also if anyone in the central/north central Florida area could chime in, that would be super.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Hey guys, I asked in the general thread, but I'm not sure anyone knows. Just wondering if the RAZR still has overheating problems or if it did, was it overblown in the reviews and/or has it been fixed somehow?

I plan on getting one in Canada when it comes out. I don't think it's an option to wait for the Maxx to come out here.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

cuedotnet posted:

Can anyone tell me how fast the LTE hotspot is on the new android devices? (Galaxy Nexus, DROID Razr, etc..) Also if anyone in the central/north central Florida area could chime in, that would be super.

I'm in Tallahassee, and it works fine for me. I get around ~10 mbps with a less than stellar signal. The worst I've seen gets down to 5-6 mbps with a really marginal signal. I don't think I've happened to run a speedtest when I had a perfect signal, (Funnily enough, it's really bad in the Verizon store where I picked up my phone), but it's really noticeably faster than 3g was/is in the area. Coverage is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Dudebro posted:

Hey guys, I asked in the general thread, but I'm not sure anyone knows. Just wondering if the RAZR still has overheating problems or if it did, was it overblown in the reviews and/or has it been fixed somehow?

I plan on getting one in Canada when it comes out. I don't think it's an option to wait for the Maxx to come out here.

I never had a problem with heat on my RAZR or even heard that it was ever a problem. Do you mean overheat to a point where performance started to degrade or just it feeling hot in your hand, because I think that can happen with most smartphones these days.

• Locked thread