Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Joramun posted:

It was a harmless joke (and also good advice since it really is a wonderful device, but that is à propos).

Showing off your big peen book collection is a foreign concept and seems a bit sad to me, I read for myself and not for social validation. But maybe others are just insecure like that.
:jerkbag:
Yes, people have large libraries because they are insecure and need social validation.

CornHolio, the best shelves in my opinion will be built into the walls where you want them to be. You'd probably have to find someone to do this, but good shelving is definitely worth it. Also if you're having it done for you, you can choose the wood quality, how much space there should be, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a silver spaceship
Dec 27, 2009

Joramun posted:

It was a harmless joke (and also good advice since it really is a wonderful device, but that is à propos).

Showing off your big peen book collection is a foreign concept and seems a bit sad to me, I read for myself and not for social validation. But maybe others are just insecure like that.

It's also pitiful that some people will buy a house for self-validation when they could live just as well out of a motel. :smug:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Juanito posted:

:jerkbag:
Yes, people have large libraries because they are insecure and need social validation.

CornHolio, the best shelves in my opinion will be built into the walls where you want them to be. You'd probably have to find someone to do this, but good shelving is definitely worth it. Also if you're having it done for you, you can choose the wood quality, how much space there should be, etc.

I don't like this idea. My parent's house has everything built into the walls - shelves for books (that they don't use), TVs, etc... and it really limits what you can do with furniture.

Granted bookcases aren't exactly easy to move, but I don't like the idea of having them built into walls and making them so permanent.

(Also, I have a hatred of e-readers. I like flipping through some of my favorite books and rereading parts I liked... hard to do in an e-reader. Also I think a good collection of interesting books can be a very good conversation-starter.)

Ornamented Death posted:

3.) Visit an unfinished wood store. These may be called something else in your area, but basically it is a store that will build you stuff to your specifications - essentially you're paying someone else to perform option 1. This is my recommendation because you're going to get exactly what you want. I find that bookshelves bought from furniture stores are often way too deep - there's no need for a shelf to be 24" deep when 99% of hardbacks are only about nine inches. Having your shelves custom-built also allows you to incorporate wild poo poo like UV-blocking glass and whatnot.

I like this idea but I've never heard of a company that does this. I may have to do some searching when the time comes.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Joramun posted:

There is literally nothing worthwhile or redeeming in this post. Congratulations.

CornHolio, since you have some time to look before you buy your house, I'd just haunt craigslist, and check in with your local bookstores every once in a while, they may either know of people who are getting rid of shelving or may be doing so themselves. You can find some really nice bookshelves this way, provided you don't care about having a matching set.

If you don't find anything you really like that way, you'll still have time to have shelves custom-built when you are getting ready to move into the new house.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
How many people posting in TBB have an account on Goodreads?

Friends of mine put me onto it recently. It's really fantastic for discussing what you read but It's truly indispensable for It's 'want to read' book management.

Was thinking of starting a thread where people could post links to theory accounts and get info on how the system works but I thought I'd check here first (i can't use search atm)

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Goodreads has the worst recommendation system. I read A Game of Thrones and they recommended some Dr Seuss books. So take that for what you will.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I've never seen a website with a good recommendation system. Your best bet is to find people that have read the same books as you and have rated them similarly, then see what else they've read.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Yeah but its peer matching system is pretty good. The whole allowing you to compare all the books you and another person have read (as well as the respective ratings) is a much better system than the computer generated recommendations.

Any objections to starting a goodreads page sharing thread?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

A lot of people post their goodreads accounts in the 52 books a year thread, so you might just look there.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Okay, I'm re-reading Lolita. I've never re-read it before and it's even better on a second read. However, I think it begs the question: why does society deem a lolita as being a sexually promiscuous young lady? Reading comprehension failure? Okay, maybe, because the writing is made to be ambiguous. But it's clear that Lolita was raped - repeatedly - her step father for years. Lolita is not a story about sexually promiscuity, it is a story of victimization.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
Society has never felt the need to be particularly informed before voicing an opinion or casting an aspersion. Plus, when in doubt, it's always the female's fault!

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
It goes along with a culture that a) doesn't read, and b) is male-centric. To most people, it's a book about some 13 year old whore that seduces a guy and causes society to see him as a pervert.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Mind you, the term Lolita doesn't only refer to promiscuous young girls but also to sexually attractive girls. When I read Lolita I definitely thought that, while for the most part he is manipulative and a rapist, she also actively seduced him at times (although that behavior may have been a product of the situation she was put in, of course).

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Joramun posted:

I like having books on my shelves that my friends can browse and borrow, or just pick up and read while they're waiting for me to finish putting away laundry or whatever.

As for the Kindle, it depends a lot on what kind of books one likes to read. I love mine muchly, but I also love turning the pages of a 100-year-old poetry books with marginalia from my husband's great-grandfather, or the hardbound copy of Punch I picked up from the 1840s with the full-page drawings. Some books have very tactile joys that I would miss in electronic form.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I think part of the problem has to do with the fact that the book is filtered through Humbert. So, there are times when she could appear to be somewhat aggressive or seductive, but then, he's trying to make us see her the way he saw her, so of course she's going to appear that way. Whether she 'actually' is seductive in the way Humbert sometimes paints her is up to the reader to figure out; personally, I think Humbert's full of it. Of course, a lot of people don't think in those kind of layers when they read a book (or read about it), so they don't pick up on the fact that Humbert's Lolita is probably not the "real" Lolita.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
That's one of the many things that wasn't glaringly present the first time I read the book. Of course, I was in my late teens/early 20's at the time, but still. It's amazing how my thoughts of what the book's content entails has drastically changed in the past 5-7 years.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

I think part of the problem has to do with the fact that the book is filtered through Humbert. So, there are times when she could appear to be somewhat aggressive or seductive, but then, he's trying to make us see her the way he saw her, so of course she's going to appear that way. Whether she 'actually' is seductive in the way Humbert sometimes paints her is up to the reader to figure out; personally, I think Humbert's full of it. Of course, a lot of people don't think in those kind of layers when they read a book (or read about it), so they don't pick up on the fact that Humbert's Lolita is probably not the "real" Lolita.

This was pretty much my interpretation of her actions, along with the knowledge that young girls do often 'flirt' with, or have crushes on, men in this sort of situation and Dolores' flirtations therefore were not necessarily indicative of sexual promiscuity or of seduction. Rather I think they were the product of a pre teen trying to relate to a male figure (which was lacking in her life) in the age of the romance film/novel.

The fact that people associate the word Lolita with a seductive teen really goes to show how effective a writer Nabokov (or Humbert) is in his ability to make you feel sympathy for a peadophile. That is to say, I don't think it's entirely male oriented stupidity that lead to many people seeing the book as a story of some slutty teen and the poor innocent dude she seduces.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Maybe we have the word lolita wrong? I brought this up to a friend and he suggested I have the term 'lolita' completely wrong. He corrected me in saying that a lolita is also a desirable young woman (from a man's point of view), and that the word may or may not have anything to do with in relation to being sexual precocious.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Idonie posted:

As for the Kindle, it depends a lot on what kind of books one likes to read. I love mine muchly, but I also love turning the pages of a 100-year-old poetry books with marginalia from my husband's great-grandfather, or the hardbound copy of Punch I picked up from the 1840s with the full-page drawings. Some books have very tactile joys that I would miss in electronic form.

But your great-grandchildren won't have to worry about such things, they'll just load up your ebooks with your annotations included.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I just finished "Callisto," and the author is (maybe) using a pseudonym. Anyone know anything concrete about the man Torsten Krol?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Himuro posted:

Maybe we have the word lolita wrong? I brought this up to a friend and he suggested I have the term 'lolita' completely wrong. He corrected me in saying that a lolita is also a desirable young woman (from a man's point of view), and that the word may or may not have anything to do with in relation to being sexual precocious.

I'm going by memory here, but doesn't the word predate Nabokov's novel? I remember reading a story in Harpers or something a while back about a similar story with the same name from the 20's.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I wouldn't know, but it's worth researching. I figured that the novel was so successful and revered that it coined a term into popular culture, not quite unlike Catch-22.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Here's the article I was thinking about, it seems the term's been around for a long time.

Jonathan Lethem posted:

Consider this tale: a cultivated man of middle age looks back on the story of an amour fou, one beginning when, traveling abroad, he takes a room as a lodger. The moment he sees the daughter of the house, he is lost. She is a preteen, whose charms instantly enslave him. Heedless of her age, he becomes intimate with her. In the end she dies, and the narrator—marked by her forever—remains alone. The name of the girl supplies the title of the story: Lolita.

The author of the story I've described, Heinz von Lichberg, published his tale of Lolita in 1916, forty years before Vladimir Nabokov's novel. Lichberg later became a prominent journalist in the Nazi era, and his youthful works faded from view.

It's a good read, if you got a few minutes, I'd recommend reading Lethem's whole essay.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
What's the best way to trade books online? I got a few google results that seem worthwhile, Paperbackswap and Bookmooch. Can anyone vouch for these services? I have a decent number of paperback books that I'd like to either give away or trade.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Utzie posted:

What's the best way to trade books online? I got a few google results that seem worthwhile, Paperbackswap and Bookmooch. Can anyone vouch for these services? I have a decent number of paperback books that I'd like to either give away or trade.

I used to trade a lot on Paperbackswap. Never had any problems, every person I traded with received their books and I received theirs. I would recommend it, but everyone's experience is different.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I was using PBS and it worked great.

That said, eventually the books I wanted were never available.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I use Paperbackswap a whole lot, I've received tons of books, and mailed off many as well. I'm a big fan, although sometimes it can take awhile to get a book.

It's good to add new books that interest you to the queue, so that you'll be one of the first people to get it if it becomes available. Some books have a long queue, and you won't be getting a copy of it ever, most likely.

That being said, I have received very good quality books. I've received several books that have been brand new, and others that have been read once.

Popular fiction moves very fast, so you'll easily be able to get books that way. Nonfiction is slower, but I've still gotten quite a bit.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
I've also always had good luck with paperbackswap.com. In fact, this reminds me, I had a request come in for a book late last night and I'd almost forgotten about it.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Have you guys seen this new website called Small Demons? It is basically a database of every place, person, or thing in books. It only started up recently so there aren't a lot of books on there, but it's fun to play around with for a bit.

It's in beta right now but you'll get an invite in under a day if you sign up.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm trying to purchase some ebooks by Ben Okri, and literally every site that sells ebooks by him won't let you download from inside the US. Is this a common thing with ebooks?

Oleum Animale 68C
Sep 16, 2005
I enjoy Ham
Help me find a book I don't remember.

It's a sci-fi book I found on Amazon ages ago that for some reason, I just remembered and I want to read. I can't remember the name or author, just that the first chapter was called "Arc Circle Lens", I think, and it begins in mid-sentence. I remember a lot of the reviews complained about it's difficulty.

I know that's not much but it's driving me nuts.

I've tried Googling with that info but no luck.

Oleum Animale 68C fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 11, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Oleum Animale 68C posted:

Help me find a book I don't remember.

It's a sci-fi book I found on Amazon ages ago that for some reason, I just remembered and I want to read. I can't remember the name or author, just that the first chapter was called "Arc Circle Lens", I think, and it begins in mid-sentence. I remember a lot of the reviews complained about it's difficulty.

I know that's not much but it's driving me nuts.

I've tried Googling with that info but no luck.

Dhalgren by Samuel Delany's first chapter is called "Prism, Mirror, Lens" and begins mid-sentence.

There's a thread for identifying books, you know.

Oleum Animale 68C
Sep 16, 2005
I enjoy Ham
Thanks, that was it.

One
Jan 9, 2003
My username is creative.
I had no idea there was a thing for swapping books online. Thanks thread! It's something I've thought of and wished existed but for some reason I never bothered to look and see if it was an actual thing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

elbow posted:

Have you guys seen this new website called Small Demons? It is basically a database of every place, person, or thing in books. It only started up recently so there aren't a lot of books on there, but it's fun to play around with for a bit.

It's in beta right now but you'll get an invite in under a day if you sign up.
For one who generally scoffs at Web 2.0, I'd say I'm rather intrigued by the idea.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You can get a free ebook from Chizine right now if go you here and follow the instructions. They publish horror and weird fiction.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

By the way, anyone else a Good Reads librarian? I just signed up today, was wondering if you guys had some stuff to tell, good/bad, whatever.

Mostly I signed up cause a lot of older Danish works and authors are terribly fragmented, and I'm on a binge of those right now, so I had to fix those so I wouldn't die from sperg overload.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

It seems I have lost my desire to read. I was a voracious reader before high school, and actually taught myself English by reading an unholy amount of English books with the help of a dictionary. In high school I found there was no time to just kick back and read for fun. I just studied and did nothing else. Now I'm in college, but whenever I want to read a book I find myself getting bored after a few pages and dropping it to do something else. I sometimes do finish books, but I miss that feeling of completely being sucked into a story. I would like to go back to finishing books with something resembling regularity again.

Any advice on rebuilding a reading habit?

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

UnfurledSails posted:

Read every day. For most of my life, I have had the habit of reading in the hour before I go to bed. It's become a ritual that is a way of signalling my brain that the day is over and it's time to relax.

While I will admit that there have been a few occasions where I stayed up too late because my book turned out to be a page-turner, that's not usually the case. Often, I will re-read books that I really enjoyed, which is how I manage to read all of the Dresden Files each time a new book is due to come out.

I also often read rather than watch TV. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

UnfurledSails posted:

- Read something you've already read and loved.

- Post your likes, dislikes, and books that previously enthralled you, so that you can get recommendations for stuff that's more likely to draw you in.

- Read Harry Potter or something. That's not an ironic or a condescending suggestion; I think sometimes you need to get drawn in with something that's quite "easy" simply in order to (re)experience what it's like to feel utterly and helplessly drawn in.