Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Parkingtigers posted:

To be fair, that is kind of the point of the SOPA protests. A "Hey, this is what life could be like under that poo poo" warning shot.

This is basically it I think. It's not only Notch that's doing it. I know Reddit and a few others will be doing it on Jan 18th too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Boat posted:

You can also make half blocks but not stairs out of sandstone, but stairs & half blocks out of brick and wood, but the wood half blocks don't burn and need a pick to break successfully since they're still retextured stone as far as the game is concerned. :pseudo:

Just part of that indie charm. :allears:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
It's been a while since I've poked into this thread but I hear a lot about a modding API again. Has the plan changed from "release all the source code and call it an API" to something actually resembling an API?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

poemdexter posted:

It's been a while since I've poked into this thread but I hear a lot about a modding API again. Has the plan changed from "release all the source code and call it an API" to something actually resembling an API?

Officially they're planning an API again and have ditched the source code idea, although there have been no details or a window for release date.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Downloaded the latest update, started a new world and my performance took a dive. Frame drops, stutters, etc. I'm on a newer iMac.

It ran fine with the 1.0 version. Is this a known thing and should I assume a patch is coming?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Narxysus posted:

Your jokes don't have punchlines. In scene 3 in almost all of them, it seems we're supposed to laugh at the reaction of one of the protagonists to the events in scene 2. But the settings are all minecraft, which is a boring environment, and the protagonists are all minecraft, which means that they're all soulless and have no character. And they're drawn in a minecraft way, which means they are boxy, plain textured and boring, artwise. You have to give the setting a level of interest that minecraft doesn't have, and you have to give the protagonists a personality that doesn't currently exist, and draw it so it's more visually appealing than minecraft is.

Maybe once you've done all that, I'll laugh at the dull drawings of the protagonist's dull reactions to their dull world. Until then, I will laugh at the mildly amusing drawings in the other comics (e.g. December 2011 Trine So Hard).

Your subject is your enemy

Edit: Having said that I liked the skyrim one (didn't even realise you'd done it originally), that was good. Maybe because it breaks the aforementioned cycle - different art, a protagonist we understand, varied settings, and a joke that is one shared between the author and the reader rather than the author and the protagonist - i.e. we laugh at the elder dragon checking his watch in scene 3 (as a followup to scene 1), because scene 2 has shown us that too bad for him, the player isn't coming to vanquish any dragon that isn't a skyrim one! My only criticism would be that in this one good (Minecraft related) comic, you've made the joke panels so drat tiny!

That's fair. Minecraft wouldn't have been my first choice of subjects, but I'm young and not well known yet, so I need the exposure that only minecraft and the Yogscast can bring right now. I may end up with my own platform to stand on eventually. Goddamm it's hard to find things that are funny about Minecraft though. The skyrim one was one I was really proud of. You're right. Minecraft is just a dull game at it's core. There's barely any joke material, and everything is blocks. I'm too late to make fun of all the crazy bugs it used to have. You're very right there.

That being said, are my drawings really that dull though? I do spend an absurd amount of time on them and I thought that I was at least making them look visually appealing for lack of laugh out loud humour. And I would say that while there are some examples of what you said about the third panel just being a reaction to something absurd in panel 2, I wouldn't say the majority are like that. I can think of a one or two of them for sure though, like the one where the kid asks his dad why the endermen are taking blocks and it turns out that in true minecraft spirit they are making a giant dick. The last panel is kinda redundant, and probably could have used either a stronger line, or just cutting it. Maybe the beaach one too, but the reaction panel is kinda necessary for that one. Not all of them though surely? It's something I'll defiantly watch out for from now on at any rate.

Iacen posted:

I think the main problem is that Yogiverse wasn't designed for that kind of content.

But apart from that, I very much enjoyed the first Creeper'ed Outs, and the latest ones have been amusing, if not "laugh out loud" ones.

Yeah that's the size of it. It's also the reason my panels are too small sometimes. I'm locked in that vertical format until the site changes. A huge pain, but I know people are working on changing that so It'll all work out in the end. And thats nice to hear that you enjoy them. I'm happy I can even get a chuckle when making minecraft jokes, since I'm an artist and not a writer. Minecraft is a game with no plot and story (sorry notch, "the end" doesn't count). I have a very hard time coming up with ideas, especially twice a week.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Esme posted:

Unless this is all some kind of multilayered metajoke and I'm the one being a sucker here.

You're not. The ending is pretentious self-important crap.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Cheap Shot posted:

That being said, are my drawings really that dull though? Blha blha blah

Nah, don't worry, ignore that guy, your drawings are fine, in fact they're way better than most webcomics.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Leadthumb posted:

I can make half blocks and stairs out of cobble and stone brick.
Solid stone half blocks have a different texture than solid stone, and I can't make stairs out of it at all.

This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Solid stone slabs look closer in texture to iron blocks than they do regular solid stone. It's really weird.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, and what about people who play on multiplayer servers but still want updates?

Then their server downloads the server snapshot?
But I really don't understand why they would because either way, snapshot or patch, they wont have bukkit and thus no way of protecting their servers.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cheap Shot posted:

Yeah that's the size of it. It's also the reason my panels are too small sometimes. I'm locked in that vertical format until the site changes. A huge pain, but I know people are working on changing that so It'll all work out in the end. And thats nice to hear that you enjoy them. I'm happy I can even get a chuckle when making minecraft jokes, since I'm an artist and not a writer. Minecraft is a game with no plot and story (sorry notch, "the end" doesn't count). I have a very hard time coming up with ideas, especially twice a week.

Perhaps you should try to team up with someone, or at least have someone to bounce ideas off.

(If you need an idea, I'd really like to see a Creeper stumbling through a portal, ending up face to face with a Ghast and end up riding it through hell. The comics don't need to be funny, if they are cute or adorable. And your fat little Creeper-dude is both:3:)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Solid stone slabs look closer in texture to iron blocks than they do regular solid stone. It's really weird.
They're supposed to be marble or something. Pretty nice for tiled floors and lighter stone buildings.

If you want to know the reason, regular stone half blocks used to be the only half blocks (and you made them with cobble, instead of stone). I guess back then the idea of a half block was special enough to warrant its own texture or something, but later on there was enough demand for more aesthetic variety in half blocks, but they couldn't very well remove the old half blocks as an options, and so we've got the mess we do today.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Cheap Shot posted:

That being said, are my drawings really that dull though? I do spend an absurd amount of time on them and I thought that I was at least making them look visually appealing for lack of laugh out loud humour.

I don't know what dude was on about, your art style is distinctive and attractive. You take the noisy minecraft block world and make it look charming and pretty, and have an attention to details (My favourite art-wise is "Ender's Game" - the lighting and shadow details is very nice)

I think most of the comics you have up right now had a good core joke in them, but the execution is sometimes a little awkward and clunky (e.g. "just a name"). As Iacen mentioned, I think you'd benefit from having someone to bounce ideas off of - if not necessarily ideas for the point of the comic, than at least how to approach the set-up?

(I've been following your Tumblr for a while now - is there a reason you don't re-post your comics on Tumblr?)

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Iacen posted:

(If you need an idea, I'd really like to see a Creeper stumbling through a portal, ending up face to face with a Ghast and end up riding it through hell. The comics don't need to be funny, if they are cute or adorable. And your fat little Creeper-dude is both:3:)

This. While they certainly haven't been the funniest things I've ever read-seen, they haven't been that dull, and some of the not-too-jokey cute ones (like chest creeper with his little smile) have been really well done. The nighttime dance party leading to a morning of death was good too. I've been enjoying them enough to use the current iteration of the Yogiverse site. Let me put it that way. :)

Also, as far as Notch doing a SOPA/PIPA blackout, while it's kinda laughable, he does have a pretty big audience, and as long as a bunch of 13-year-olds don't send thousands of pizzas to their senators, could help out. Although I hope he goes with the best explanation of how the law could be abused. "Help stop SOPA, or when a better-coded, more supported, and superior Minecraft-like starts to get off the ground, I can crush it by abusing this law to remain the only buggy quirky game in town!"

Old Greg fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 13, 2012

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I will hate your Minecraft comics until you finish that Bip story. Then I'll like them, since they're OK.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

No real reason for not putting them on the tumblr anymore, other then the yogs get ad revenue for people viewing them there, and I'd like to at least try to make my comics profitable for them. They aren't really currently, but that may change once I get better at doing them, and the site design gets better. Right now it seems to be turning people right off.

CaptainCaveman posted:

I will hate your Minecraft comics until you finish that Bip story. Then I'll like them, since they're OK.

Oh god don't remind me. The thread got locked before I could. I suppose I could re host that on my tumblr and finish it, but I'll be honest, the first story was way better and I felt like I was making a lame sequel. Sub to my tumblr and keep an eye out. I'll see what I can do.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Turns out you can't climb up ladders if there's a difference of half a block between the top of the ladder and the floor, either. So the ONLY way ladders work now is if they reach or extend past (so you can jump off) the level of the floor, and any kind of covering has to be build accordingly. I have yet to figure out a single positive effect caused by this change.

Also, the game's crashed a lot for me since updating to 1.1. It'll just randomly close itself in the middle of playing, which is new.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Jamesman posted:

I have yet to figure out a single positive effect caused by this change.

Well, you can't accidentally die landing on a ladder anymore. Not saying that counters all the problems, but it is a single positive effect.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Turns out you can't climb up ladders if there's a difference of half a block between the top of the ladder and the floor, either. So the ONLY way ladders work now is if they reach or extend past (so you can jump off) the level of the floor, and any kind of covering has to be build accordingly. I have yet to figure out a single positive effect caused by this change.

Also, the game's crashed a lot for me since updating to 1.1. It'll just randomly close itself in the middle of playing, which is new.

I'm expecting this to end up like the other "fixes" they applied, then eventually reverted due to them not being fixes in the slightest. Come to think of it, I can't see why anyone at all would think ladders were broken and needed "fixing" in the first place... :gonk:

Edit: In non-ladder-related news, fence gates can now be powered via redstone. However, they are horrendously buggy, as in, they are almost completely unusable. :bang:

Syenite fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 14, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shukaro posted:

I'm expecting this to end up like the other "fixes" they applied, then eventually reverted due to them not being fixes in the slightest. Come to think of it, I can't see why anyone at all would think ladders were broken and needed "fixing" in the first place... :gonk:

Basically, the way you could fall on them from great heights and sometimes hit the collision spot and die and sometimes get caught in the ladder effect.

What would be a better solution would be to keep it without being able to stand/fall onto it, but for the ladder effect to extend a half-block above the ladder, and make it so you can jump off the top of the ladder effect.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Basically, the way you could fall on them from great heights and sometimes hit the collision spot and die and sometimes get caught in the ladder effect.

What would be a better solution would be to keep it without being able to stand/fall onto it, but for the ladder effect to extend a half-block above the ladder, and make it so you can jump off the top of the ladder effect.

You see, I don't see the mere possibility of dying from falling onto the ladder's hitbox anywhere near being a severe enough issue to warrant breaking almost every interesting thing you could do with ladders. I was fine with them fixing the minecart boosting behavior, because power-rails were a perfectly valid replacement, but I just don't get why people thought ladders were broken any more than other blocks with odd hitboxes like farmland or soulsand or hatches.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think the desired behavior they were going with in the change was to allow you to safely create shaft-falls and use a few levels of ladder as a catcher at the bottom, and they didn't think through the full implications.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I think origin of their ladder problem is that they made it so that you cannot jump off of ladders normally, necessitating a hitbox on which one could stand in order to jump off of the top of ladders. If they just made it so that it wasn't so jerky once you climbed to the top of a ladder and also allowed you to jump while on them, then it doesn't seem like there would be much of an issue (jumping puzzles specifically calibrated to the older mechanics aside).

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Stare long enough, and you may find yourself.

Cheap Shot posted:

That's fair. Minecraft wouldn't have been my first choice of subjects, but I'm young and not well known yet, so I need the exposure that only minecraft and the Yogscast can bring right now. I may end up with my own platform to stand on eventually. Goddamm it's hard to find things that are funny about Minecraft though. The skyrim one was one I was really proud of. You're right. Minecraft is just a dull game at it's core. There's barely any joke material, and everything is blocks. I'm too late to make fun of all the crazy bugs it used to have. You're very right there.

That being said, are my drawings really that dull though? I do spend an absurd amount of time on them and I thought that I was at least making them look visually appealing for lack of laugh out loud humour.

I don't mean your drawing is dull, I mean your Minecraft drawings are, because they are of minecraft. At the very least, this means that most of the drawings only consist of 90 degree angles (or parodies thereof, for lack of a better word), and the colour palette is limited in it's application because, for example, there aren't complex surfaces for you to colour, owing to the lack of complex shapes. Like I said, the skyrim one was neat - no problem with your ability, it's just the necessity of implementation in a minecraft world.

quote:

And I would say that while there are some examples of what you said about the third panel just being a reaction to something absurd in panel 2, I wouldn't say the majority are like that. I can think of a one or two of them for sure though, like the one where the kid asks his dad why the endermen are taking blocks and it turns out that in true minecraft spirit they are making a giant dick. The last panel is kinda redundant, and probably could have used either a stronger line, or just cutting it. Maybe the beaach one too, but the reaction panel is kinda necessary for that one. Not all of them though surely? It's something I'll defiantly watch out for from now on at any rate.

I actually read the beach one a while ago independent of this thread, and really didn't like it. The joke should be the ravenousness of the squid - not the kid's reaction. We all know how a kid would react to that, so the third panel is showing us something we've already concluded. The second panel is the surprise (and thus the punchline), but since it was in the middle I expected the 3rd panel to have an even better surprise, but it wasn't so.

I think if the reader knows about or can guess (or assume) the punchline before the end of the comic, you can improve it.

Old Greg posted:

This. While they certainly haven't been the funniest things I've ever read-seen, they haven't been that dull, and some of the not-too-jokey cute ones (like chest creeper with his little smile) have been really well done. The nighttime dance party leading to a morning of death was good too.

If cuteness was enough to carry a comic, there would be more appreciation for My Little Pony. It's a gimmick that can add to the humour, but if you rely on it, it gets old fast.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Narxysus posted:

If cuteness was enough to carry a comic, there would be more appreciation for My Little Pony. It's a gimmick that can add to the humour, but if you rely on it, it gets old fast.

Unfortunatly, I think if I switched to my little pony comics, I'd get even more readers then if I stuck with minecraft.

:shepicide:

Just look at the latest yogscast technic videos, Shadow of Isriapony or whatever. They pretty much hit both target audiences at once and they are not at all hurting from it. It may be beneath the cultured neckbeard, but good lord do both those things command an audience.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Narxysus posted:

I actually read the beach one a while ago independent of this thread, and really didn't like it.

As a counterpoint, this was the panel I was about to mention. For some reason this did make me chuckle, probably not so much because of the traumatised reaction of the kid, but of the squid looking like it has absolutely no idea what's going on and being panic-stricken.

I am easily amused though :v:

I do think you have a pretty good drawing style, expressions on relatively simple characters seem to shine through well.

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Stare long enough, and you may find yourself.

Cheap Shot posted:

Unfortunatly, I think if I switched to my little pony comics, I'd get even more readers then if I stuck with minecraft.

:shepicide:

Just look at the latest yogscast technic videos, Shadow of Isriapony or whatever. They pretty much hit both target audiences at once and they are not at all hurting from it. It may be beneath the cultured neckbeard, but good lord do both those things command an audience.

Oh yeah, for the love of god don't go there. I suppose I give all this criticism since I've not disliked your comics and you're putting effort in. But I think you need to be able to make a comic humorous regardless of the subject - i.e. it's the joke that should be funny. Consider how well your strips would translate into a different subject - i.e. would you lose half the humour if there were no longer inside (subject specific) jokes to carry you? If you can make them funny regardless of subject, then you'll have skills that are more versatile.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I haven't played since Beta 0.8, I got dis-heartended playing because big biome updates were coming that would make my world go funny. So i've been holding off for ages.....

Is now a good time to start a world, and hopefully STICK WITH IT? Or are they going to make another stupid update that will make us reset?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Personally, I'm still holding off on starting a proper world to stick with until: a) the modding API is done; b) someone makes a mod that gives the game what I want out of it. Which doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon, maybe not even this year. Until then the most I do is goof about on multiplayer servers.

It really depends on what you want out of the game. If you are fine doing the exact same things you were doing in Beta 0.8, you'll probably find release 1.1 to be more of the same, only with some small changes. Nothing is going to come around that'll radically change anything, certainly not in the vanilla game.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Notch didn't include Esperanto. Do you know who else didn't like Esperanto? That's right

:notch:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

babies havin rabies posted:

Do you know who else didn't like Esperanto?
The jews?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Good job you got the joke.

On a side note, what do you fellow minecrafters think the odds are of Mojonge making a Minecraft II?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is anyone besides me experiencing frequent crashes with 1.1? The game has developed a serious love of closing itself abruptly ever since the update.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

Is anyone besides me experiencing frequent crashes with 1.1? The game has developed a serious love of closing itself abruptly ever since the update.

It's a longshot, but have you checked to see if you're somehow running Minecraft in the 32bit Java JVM suddenly? Stranger things have happened. You can check while Minecraft is running by going into the video settings menu, and there should be a huge fuckoff red text warning about not being in 64bit.

Cheap Shot posted:

Comics :words:

One thing you need to do is include the title of your comics somewhere in the actual comic. The Yogs' horrible layout doesn't update that dropdown comic name box when you use the backwards forward and back buttons, so 99% of the time the joke is lost, since your titles are usually a tie-in joke themselves.

Surely there's SOMETHING the Yogs can do about that horrible horrible layout. Even something stupid like using different values for the dropdowns, like artist & title and then just put them in chronological order or something. It's just so so bad.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 14, 2012

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Geeze, you nerds all sperging out about the comics, what a bunch of entitled pricks. The quirks and bugs and lack of humor are all part of the indie charm.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

a starwar betamax posted:

Good job you got the joke.

On a side note, what do you fellow minecrafters think the odds are of Mojonge making a Minecraft II?

Depends on whether or not the collectible, PC card game that isn't Magic the Gathering becomes a huge success (lol).

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

There almost certainly will be either a sequel to Minecraft eventually or a (full) game made by another company which has all of the same core elements. I'm guessing the quickest route to that happening is if they sell/license the Minecraft property to another company (assuming they're even willing), and that's probably most likely if their other games are successful enough that they don't feel they need Minecraft anymore. Kinda depressing.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
I have an 8 man server. Will I need to start a new world for the update? Right now, it's saying that my server is outdated. It's not a local server and I have to connect to it's filesystem via FTP.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boat posted:

It's a longshot, but have you checked to see if you're somehow running Minecraft in the 32bit Java JVM suddenly? Stranger things have happened. You can check while Minecraft is running by going into the video settings menu, and there should be a huge fuckoff red text warning about not being in 64bit.

Yeah I don't know how to do any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Jamesman posted:

Yeah I don't know how to do any of this.
Escape -> Options -> Video Options
It should have some big warning about 32 bit java if it's what you're using.