Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Didn't see this dicussed anywhere else in the thread, but apparently Silent Hill takes place in the same world as Kindergarten Cop.

Yes, the Arnold movie.

More at the link.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Rather than derail the thread with my personal opinions on the short fiction herein, I'll actually post a hoax. A hoax that's CURRENT. About a CURRENT game, even! Yes, even in the age of GameFAQs, the internet, and Blast Processing, there are still people propagating completely unsubstantiated rumors.

The game in question is Assassin's Creed: Revelations. I know, REALLY recent! You may have noticed throughout previous games the wells that you could hide down to elude pursuers (or to stealth-kill them and pollute the water supply). Well, many of the wells in AC:R are boarded up, at least at first. See, you unlock the ability to make bombs later on, two of which (explosive and thunder) can blast open the wells. When you do so, you'll see a little counter appear: x of 31 Wells Unlocked.

This doesn't count towards completion, there's no real way to find the wells short of, well, finding them, and it doesn't reward you with anything beyond opening up a place to hide if you need it. I managed to find like 15ish wells and wanted to find the rest, so I looked online for a map or something. Instead, I find a whole slew of people talking about how if you unlock all the wells, you can climb down the last one and find the Golden Fleece, allowing you to bring your uncle Mario back to life. I also found a ton of people (rightly) calling this a crock of poo poo.

Let's look at the reasons against: This would probably be a LOT more well documented by players at least if it were true. Like, I'd be able to find a map of all 31, as opposed to only the 25ish that I did. Second, after some quick googling, I can't really find any kind of connection between the Golden Fleece and Constantinople/Istanbul. Third, which well would be the "last" well to unlock and climb down?

The big point, though, is the timing of the game. Ezio's like 30-35ish in Brotherhood, and probably close to 60 in Revelations. Mario's been dead for a really long time, and therefore doesn't feature into the plot at all. So why would they suddenly have his dusty old bones (literally) appear over a thousand miles from wherever he was interred? Makes no sense.

That said, if someone has a map of all 31 wells, that'd be great. I go a little crazy with the completionism in sandbox games

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The problem with urban legends in new games is something like that would be on Youtube seconds after it was found.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 13, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't know, some modern rumors are plausible if it's poo poo that no one would care about. Like, I doubt anybody is dying to resurrect Ezio's uncle, so it could be plausible, but the part with "x of 31" unlocked is what kind of seals it as false (to me). If there's any sort of notification in-game, whether it's important or an achievement or nothing; you can count on somebody having a guide or video to unlock them. Sperglords and hardcore completionists can't let poo poo like that just sit uninvestigated.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

feedmyleg posted:

Didn't see this dicussed anywhere else in the thread, but apparently Silent Hill takes place in the same world as Kindergarten Cop.

I am amazed that even one Japanese person saw Kindergarten Cop.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I am amazed that even one Japanese person saw Kindergarten Cop.

I can understand how they'd think it was a horror, really.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'm surprised even one PERSON saw Kindergarten Cop.

Anyway, buying Star Fox 64 3D reminded me of an old rumor around my school yard that R.O.B. was going to be remade for the N64. Their evidence: ROB64, the character from Star Fox 64 who piloted the Great Fox.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Neito posted:

I'm surprised even one PERSON saw Kindergarten Cop.

Hey. gently caress you. Kindergarten Cop is a great movie. It may just be nostalgia talking though, as it was one of the first movies I remember seeing in a theater, alongside Batman Returns.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey. gently caress you. Kindergarten Cop is a great movie. It may just be nostalgia talking though, as it was one of the first movies I remember seeing in a theater, alongside Batman Returns.

Indeed it was, but Arnold really didn't suit a beard.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Herobotic posted:

Heh, sorry I brought it up. It's done when it's done.

Remember when Duke Nukem Forever was released when it was done? Think about it.

Rcarr posted:

The problem with urban legends in new games is something like that would be on Youtube seconds after it was found.

Not if the ghost prevented your camera from working and also it couldn't be repeated (because of ghosts)

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I've walked through these hallways many long nights after my show. My world, I rule it. I rule every inch of these corridors, and I rule every inch of these bitches that walk it with every inch of me. But tonight... tonight there's a new bitch.

The lights flicker. A door I know so well, a door that doesn't go anywhere... tonight, it's open. This corridor, I rule this corridor... but something about it... I head in. The world seems like it's... missing things. Colors. Walls. Floors. I walk, but suddenly my turbocharged jetlegs aren't touching floor. But I'm still walking.

The noise from my footsteps starts crackling. I see friends in this place, and they're acting strange. My two twin bitches are staring off into space. I follow where they look and see a bitch. A bitch with no face. I smile.

Ghost pussy, I think. Gonna get me some.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

mercenarynuker posted:

Rather than derail the thread with my personal opinions on the short fiction herein, I'll actually post a hoax. A hoax that's CURRENT. About a CURRENT game, even! Yes, even in the age of GameFAQs, the internet, and Blast Processing, there are still people propagating completely unsubstantiated rumors.

The game in question is Assassin's Creed: Revelations. I know, REALLY recent! You may have noticed throughout previous games the wells that you could hide down to elude pursuers (or to stealth-kill them and pollute the water supply). Well, many of the wells in AC:R are boarded up, at least at first. See, you unlock the ability to make bombs later on, two of which (explosive and thunder) can blast open the wells. When you do so, you'll see a little counter appear: x of 31 Wells Unlocked.

This doesn't count towards completion, there's no real way to find the wells short of, well, finding them, and it doesn't reward you with anything beyond opening up a place to hide if you need it. I managed to find like 15ish wells and wanted to find the rest, so I looked online for a map or something. Instead, I find a whole slew of people talking about how if you unlock all the wells, you can climb down the last one and find the Golden Fleece, allowing you to bring your uncle Mario back to life. I also found a ton of people (rightly) calling this a crock of poo poo.

Let's look at the reasons against: This would probably be a LOT more well documented by players at least if it were true. Like, I'd be able to find a map of all 31, as opposed to only the 25ish that I did. Second, after some quick googling, I can't really find any kind of connection between the Golden Fleece and Constantinople/Istanbul. Third, which well would be the "last" well to unlock and climb down?

The big point, though, is the timing of the game. Ezio's like 30-35ish in Brotherhood, and probably close to 60 in Revelations. Mario's been dead for a really long time, and therefore doesn't feature into the plot at all. So why would they suddenly have his dusty old bones (literally) appear over a thousand miles from wherever he was interred? Makes no sense.

That said, if someone has a map of all 31 wells, that'd be great. I go a little crazy with the completionism in sandbox games

I reckon it's mainly a relic of Ubisoft's sidequesting completionist obsession during Brotherhood/the engine is hardcoded to vomit up an "x of n something unlocked" message every time you do something that alters the map permanently and nobody remembered to change it to a blank message.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

feedmyleg posted:

Yes, the Arnold movie.

More at the link.

This is uncanny, then again, I assume they had no other way of knowing what a American Middle School looked like and just used the film as an easy reference.

TheJoker138 posted:

Honestly, Kindergarten Cop is the loving best. Hail John Kimble.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

RagnarokAngel posted:

I can't help it if The Princess looks so much better in Unreal 3.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Rocketlex posted:

I can't help it if The Princess looks so much better in Unreal 3.
Whatever you do, just don't make any "official" pictures of her. Fan art is one thing, but what makes the story work so well (to me, at least) is the description without actual imagery. :)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

XkyRauh posted:

Whatever you do, just don't make any "official" pictures of her. Fan art is one thing, but what makes the story work so well (to me, at least) is the description without actual imagery. :)

I disagree. Without images I think the story would lack credibility, especially given the subject matter and the fact it is written on the web. I think it would be good to have blurry cell phone pictures of someone's tv instead of obvious PhotoShops (nes godzilla)

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

feedmyleg posted:

Yes, the Arnold movie.

More at the link.

To me, it seems more likely that there a service out there that sells images you can print out that make your set look more authentic, like a pack of posters to print out and paste to walls to make it look more school-like and both Kindergarten Cop and Silent Hill decided both to get theirs from same place.

At least it makes more sense than the option that Kindergarten Cop left such a deep impression on some japanese developer that he decided to use briefly appearing props from it in his own game.

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Puistokemisti posted:

To me, it seems more likely that there a service out there that sells images you can print out that make your set look more authentic, like a pack of posters to print out and paste to walls to make it look more school-like and both Kindergarten Cop and Silent Hill decided both to get theirs from same place.

A service that specializes in American movie sets and Japanese playstation games.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That includes working vehicles and full-sized building facades.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Puistokemisti posted:

At least it makes more sense than the option that Kindergarten Cop left such a deep impression on some japanese developer that he decided to use briefly appearing props from it in his own game.

Yeah, I just don't see this Schwarzenegger fellow having much appeal over in Japan.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I gotta be honest though the school in Kindergarten Cop looks like every public school in southern California, especially from the outside. To non-Americans California architecture is usually associated with America as a whole, which is why Silent Hill looks the way it does.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Terminator 2 was also at the time it was released the highest grossing film in the world.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I think you guys are over-thinking it. If you're in Japan, designing an American elementary school for a video game, watching a movie set in one is probably the easiest and cheapest way to have a bunch of footage of a single school to use for reference.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I assume the princess killed whoever was writing the story? What a shame, I was really enjoying that.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RCarr posted:

I assume the princess killed whoever was writing the story? What a shame, I was really enjoying that.

It'll show up, don't worry. He had a ghostwriter.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure he's been trapped in a game by the princess so we all need to start playing Ocarina of Time NOW!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

That and it's the Shroud that has the ability to kinda bring the dead back to life (for 10 seconds) in Assassin's Creed. :pseudo:

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
I want to beat the poo poo out of myself for contributing to a derail, but this one got its claws in me. You want to talk about overthinking, watch this (beware falling :words:).

It seems most likely to me that the Kindergarten Cop references were intentional but surreptitious, mainly because of the posters: Konami, while not a big name in the survival horror world at the time, was no chickenshit operation during the development of Silent Hill, and I suspect they had a proper legal department. Despite differences in copyright law around the world, I don't believe US and Japanese legal codes differ significantly with respect to lifting material directly from someone else's work. The game certainly had its fair share of references to The Mist, Phantoms, and Jacob's Ladder, among others, but they were combined and modified in a variety of ways. The posters are taken whole cloth, it seems, and I can't see them easily making it past the attorneys unless nobody knew about it.

That's not to mention the pain in the rear end it would have been if the intent were merely to gather reference material for an American school. The artists would have to either grab a still frame from the film (at best a VHS or, maybe, Laserdisc copy in that era), correct for the perspective of the film's camera angles, and convert the poster image to the required format, or hand paint a new poster to mimic the ones seen in Kindergarten Cop on purpose. With the burden involved, and potential legal ramifications, why bother unless as a nod to the movie? They're professional artists, they can just mock up some science/history/art/general education type of thing and throw it in game to decorate the environment. There's plenty of other art on the walls of the classrooms that's not from movies, and most of it's too low res to make out anyway. The posters' presence could be explained by the use of a stock image service, as suggested earlier, but then there's the matter of the front entrance and the school bus.

The front entrance to Midwich Elementary features not only the same architecture as the movie, but the same band of blue paint along the bottom. It's conceivable the developers obtained reference photos of the same location as the movie independent of the film itself, but as I recall the reference locations for Silent Hill were somewhere in or around Chicago. Now, it's been at least ten years since I first heard that, so take it with a grain of salt, but that still leaves the bus.

It irritated me to no end at first, since the school bus featured in the movie and game is nothing special by itself. The Ford B and contemporary International S series chassis, with either Thomas or Bluebird bodies, were outrageously common in early 90s US school districts, to the point that I'd suspect they're what most of my American generation think of when we hear "school bus". It wasn't until I read the entirety of this thread that I realized what's notable is the fact that it's bus number 7 in both shots. There's only ten single digits to choose from, and it could be coincidence, but combined with the rest of this stuff I'd lean toward all of it being a cute, intentional shoutout, along the lines of the Stephen King "Study, dammit!" thing. A scary game with a sense of humor, to be appreciated by obsessive nerds like us who go looking for these things.

Never try to overthink an overthinker. :colbert:

Edit! As something more like a contribution, and to reinforce the magnitude of the intentional name dropping in Silent Hill, here's the best SH Easter Egg site I've ever seen. It's in Spanish, but you'll get the idea even without Google Translate. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Crackmaster fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 14, 2012

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Going to be talking out of my rear end here, but I would not be surprised if set designers have access to catalogues/magazines that contains random set pieces for "Generic City Public School #2004" or "Rural abandoned log cabin #5068" or whatever piece is needed that they use to rip ideas from. Just so happened that the set designer for Silent Hill happened to use the same reference material that set designer for Kindergarten Cop used.

Though the idea of the two stories having some weird otherworldly connection would be far cooler. Writing my Silent Hill/Kindergarten Cop crossover fanfic

Thaske
May 22, 2005

Cabbages! Knickers! It's not got a beak!
People keep saying "set pieces" in regard to the exterior shots, but those were all filmed on location. The inside shots were sound staged, but I like to think that it is, in fact, a reference to Kindergarden Cop. Why not?

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Most likely explanation is they were put in there as a joke. Most fun explanation is that Silent Hill is where Kindergarten Cop is actually set.

IT'S NAHT A TUMOR!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Someone mentioned Star Fox and I remember in the original star fox, there was a warp level and the words The End pop up. My friend told me that you had to get the letters set up to say THE END the right way a random number of times to get a real ending.

I never actually try to bother to do this or see if this rumor was true.

edit: I know the level exists and played it, just never tried to get THE END the correct number of times.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 15, 2012

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

That was the black hole level, which would simply stay like that forever.

According to Star Fox lore, that's the same black hole Fox McCloud's father vanished in to.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Neito posted:

That was the black hole level, which would simply stay like that forever.

According to Star Fox lore, that's the same black hole Fox McCloud's father vanished in to.

No, that's a warp level.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I remember that level being an endless loop that had the credits roll while you were still in control of your Arwing...

EDIT: My age must be getting to me. I seem to be mixing up Out of this Dimension with Black Hole, somehow. The method I remember for doing OotD seems to be the method for unlocking Black Hole, though. That poo poo was scary when you were a kid. Both the meteor with the face on it, and BH/OotD...

Neito fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 15, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Tobaccrow posted:

I think you guys are over-thinking it. If you're in Japan, designing an American elementary school for a video game, watching a movie set in one is probably the easiest and cheapest way to have a bunch of footage of a single school to use for reference.

This is exactly it, of course.

It's Japan in the 90s. No google images. There's not going to be many American School movies at the video store. Arnold is huge in Japan. And the title was probably transliterated to "American Children's School Policeman". It was likely just the most convenient available film they had to reference American schools from.

But let people have their fun beliefs, it is the hoax thread.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 15, 2012

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Mister Roboto posted:

And the title was probably transliterated to "American Children's School Policeman".

I would totally watch a version of Kindergarten Cop that was one of those "translate it into Japanese, then back into English with Babelfish" sorts of deals. :v:

Edit with content: New Pop-Fiction up with a look at Final Fantasy VI's Czar Dragon. About to go watch it myself. I really like that this series is continuing: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-19-pop-fiction/725397 ... I just got the feeling that there wouldn't be enough interest to keep it going.

Roberto_Silencio fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 15, 2012

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
As a game industry survivor I know from experience that developers create content just by ripping stuff out of movies and TV. (On one project I worked on, the artists actually modelled characters on Hollywood stars, though this seems legally dubious to me.)

As other people have said, I guarantee the movie was just used as source material for the artists to copy. It's a fun discovery though, after all these years!

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 15, 2012

Windalgo
Sep 13, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

It's Japan in the 90s. No google images. There's not going to be many American School movies at the video store. Arnold is huge in Japan. And the title was probably transliterated to "American Children's School Policeman". It was likely just the most convenient available film they had to reference American schools from.
Actually, after writing a series of letters to Herschel Weingrod and Arnold, my understanding is that the film Kindergarten Cop was originally written as a horror. Arnolds time at the school was spent struggling to hold onto his sanity as all the children died around him, however sometime in post-production they edited the footage they had to be more of a comedy. It was a weird direction change, but I guess some of the original script found its way to Silent Hill.

Also Arnold told me that one of the kids died on set and haunted every VHS of the movie. They were aware of the problem, but they put too much time and money into the film to not ship it out anyways. Still the best.

Windalgo fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Windalgo posted:

Actually, after writing a series of letters to Herschel Weingrod and Arnold, my understanding is that the film Kindergarten Cop was originally written as a horror. Arnolds time at the school was spent struggling to hold onto his sanity as all the children died around him, however sometime in post-production they edited the footage they had to be more of a comedy. It was a weird direction change, but I guess some of the original script found its way to Silent Hill.

Also Arnold told me that one of the kids died on set and haunted every VHS of the movie. They were aware of the problem, but they put too much time and money into the film to not ship it out anyways. Still the best.

Also the kids turned into static and had my sister's face.