Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Mooseontheloose posted:

What is the Japanese obsession with blood typing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_types_in_Japanese_culture

quote:

There exists a common, popular belief in Japan, Korea, and other East Asian countries that a person's ABO blood type or ketsueki-gata (血液型?) is predictive of his or her personality, temperament, and compatibility with others,[1] similar to how astrological signs are used in other countries throughout the world, although blood type plays a much more prominent role in Japanese and the societies of other East Asian countries than astrology does in other countries' societies.

Basically why characters get along with each other or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mooseontheloose posted:

What is the Japanese obsession with blood typing?
Apparently the equivalent of horoscopes in the west, except with a pseudo-scientific veneer for various personality types.

I've been told it's also one of those artifacts from the days of eugenics, but that doesn't seem very supported.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

So,

Cloud is AB:

Type AB
Best traits Cool, controlled, rational, sociable, adaptable
Worst traits Critical, indecisive, forgetful, irresponsible, "split personality"

Aeris is O:

Type O
Best traits Agreeable, sociable, optimistic
Worst traits Vain, rude, jealous, arrogant

Tifa is B:

Type B
Best traits Wild, active, doer, creative, passionate, strong
Worst traits Selfish, irresponsible, unforgiving, unpredictable

Barret is O
Red XIII is a dog with an unknown blood type.
Cid is B
Sephiroth is mysteriously unknown.

Yuffie is A:

Type A
Best traits Earnest, creative, sensible, reserved, patient, responsible
Worst traits Fastidious, overearnest, stubborn, tense

Cait Sith has no blood because he is a walking abomination automaton

And Vincent has the blood type of whoevers blood he has been sucking that night A

What Wikipedia doesn't mention, is that there was a similar thing in Europe, with the four humours and temperments, which was just as unscientific and arbitrary as the blood type interpretation.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 13, 2012

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yuffie is A:

Type A
Best traits Earnest, creative, sensible, reserved, patient, responsible
Worst traits Fastidious, overearnest, stubborn, tense

That isn't Yuffie at all :psyduck:

Also, I would say that Tifa is jealous, not Aeris. That in particular stands out to me. Cloud's description is really quite good, though. It's like they started with him and just threw whatever type on the other characters.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
it's not even good blood typing, what about the antigens!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

eating only apples posted:

That isn't Yuffie at all :psyduck:

Also, I would say that Tifa is jealous, not Aeris. That in particular stands out to me. Cloud's description is really quite good, though. It's like they started with him and just threw whatever type on the other characters.

It's almost like the entire idea about blood types determining personality types is a giant load of horseshit. Clouds IS pretty bang on though.

Anime heroes tend to be A, and villains tend towards O and AB, if I remember correctly.

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

it's not even good blood typing, what about the antigens!

Where the gently caress is my Rh typing? Hell, just give me D positive or negative, that's all I really want. The blood groups look so incomplete without a + or - after them. After that, I really don't give a poo poo if they have Duffy A or B. I'm not transfusing those people. Vincent can handle his own transfusions anyway.

Tempest815
Oct 7, 2006

FALCON PUNCH!!

Seraphroy posted:

Where the gently caress is my Rh typing? Hell, just give me D positive or negative, that's all I really want. The blood groups look so incomplete without a + or - after them. After that, I really don't give a poo poo if they have Duffy A or B. I'm not transfusing those people. Vincent can handle his own transfusions anyway.

Throw a Bombay at these guys who deal with this and REALLY throw them off!

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

Tempest815 posted:

Throw a Bombay at these guys who deal with this and REALLY throw them off!

Completely tangential, gently caress Bombay. poo poo is near impossible to deal with in emergency situations.

Though I do wonder what they consider the positive and negative traits of the Bombay type, because it's not technically O, while represented as Oh. Japan, I want answers.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Xander77 posted:

I've been told it's also one of those artifacts from the days of eugenics, but that doesn't seem very supported.

Oh no, it is very much a fact that it stems from straight up racism and pseudoscience in the 1920s and 1930s. And in fact was later used by the Nazis in their own quest to prove certain races inferior/superior. It only became popular recently cause of some guy with no scientific credentials published a book about it in the 1970s.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Concordat posted:

Oh no, it is very much a fact that it stems from straight up racism and pseudoscience in the 1920s and 1930s. And in fact was later used by the Nazis in their own quest to prove certain races inferior/superior. It only became popular recently cause of some guy with no scientific credentials published a book about it in the 1970s.

I completely forgot about the blood type thing in the manual until now. As a kid who didn't know anything of the quack blood type thing Japan has going on I was confused and waited most of the game to see how that would be worked into the plot. I was expecting like a transfusion minigame or some wierd hospital based story. Its actually a cool little half spoiler for the different characters personalities not mentioned in the blurb.

What a bunch of savages the Japanese are with their nazi blood type shenanigans. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go put all my money on a horse because Uranus is rising and my horoscope told me to only date people born between March and April.

I did read in a comedy article one (probably on cracked) about places in Japan only giving good jobs to certain blood-types which does smack of some Gattaca style caste system. You have to remember Ronald Reagan believed in bunk too and he had launch codes for nuclear missiles though.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
The difference here is that I think Ronald Reagan was a gigantic idiot anyway, false equivalencies aside.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 14, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
While talking about star signs, we may as well go the whole hog:

Cloud is a Leo, Aeris is Aquarius, Tifa is Taurus, Barret is Sagittarius, Cid is Pisces, Yuffie is a Scorpio and Vincent is a Libra.

It's pointless listing any supposed traits with any of these things, because they're so applicable to any normal human being.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pesky Splinter posted:

Cloud is a Leo

That's Aquarius. :confused:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The manual listed his birthday as August 19, which places him in Leo.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Must be Aeris in drag.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
He also doesn't wear capes or hats.

FRACTURED ASS
Oct 27, 2010

Ooo continuity errors. :fap:

I think a blood type discussion came up about 10,000 years ago in the LP and one thing that was mentioned that was kind of relevant was O and AB's roles in donations, the universal giver/recipient. I don't know if it was intentional though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Scalding Coffee posted:

And he can wear a Ribbon...

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Anyone can wear a ribbon, dude. And why not? Blocks every status effect, it does.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

resurgam40 posted:

Anyone can wear a ribbon, dude. And why not? Bolcks every status effect, it does.

In FFT, only women and Cloud in his unique job can wear ribbons.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

In FFT, only women and Cloud in his unique job can wear ribbons.

This was either a callback to everyone in FF7 being able to equip ribbons, or the crossdressing shenanigans. I personally hope it's the later. Also, I don't suppose anyone knows, but are the birthdates listed in the Japanese manual anywhere? Either the person who localized the instruction manual threw them in there, or the FFT team was just lazy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Frocobo posted:

This was either a callback to everyone in FF7 being able to equip ribbons, or the crossdressing shenanigans. I personally hope it's the later. Also, I don't suppose anyone knows, but are the birthdates listed in the Japanese manual anywhere? Either the person who localized the instruction manual threw them in there, or the FFT team was just lazy.

It's the later, as Dissedia also give Cloud (and Kefka for some reason) the option to use armor unique to the women characters.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rirse posted:

It's the later, as Dissedia also give Cloud (and Kefka for some reason) the option to use armor unique to the women characters.

Well, to be fair, Kefka is insane. And Cloud...well I think Aeris gave him a taste for pretty dresses and bows.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Scalding Coffee posted:

Also he has a nose.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

Well, to be fair, Kefka is insane.

I'm not sure i like what you're implying here.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

HenryEx posted:

I'm not sure i like what you're implying here.

Sorry, bad phrasing on my part. :blush:

What I meant to say is that his clothes are a mixmatch of things, so presumably, the reason he can equip that stuff is because it clashes with everything, or something I guess. I don't know :eng99:

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Cloud can wear a Ribbon because he's comfortable enough in his masculinity not to be put-off by a little outside-the-gender-norms thinking.

Kefka can wear whatever the gently caress he wants because he gives absolutely zero fucks about anything other than absolute omnipotence.

There. Happy?

(You are now picturing Jecht dressed as a pretty pretty princess.)

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ghost of Starman posted:

(You are now picturing Jecht dressed as a pretty pretty princess.)

Here have this plus more

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

wit posted:

I completely forgot about the blood type thing in the manual until now. As a kid who didn't know anything of the quack blood type thing Japan has going on I was confused and waited most of the game to see how that would be worked into the plot. I was expecting like a transfusion minigame or some wierd hospital based story. Its actually a cool little half spoiler for the different characters personalities not mentioned in the blurb.

What a bunch of savages the Japanese are with their nazi blood type shenanigans. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go put all my money on a horse because Uranus is rising and my horoscope told me to only date people born between March and April.

I did read in a comedy article one (probably on cracked) about places in Japan only giving good jobs to certain blood-types which does smack of some Gattaca style caste system. You have to remember Ronald Reagan believed in bunk too and he had launch codes for nuclear missiles though.

I had to take a personality test at an employment agency once. It said I was a Blue. I did not receive a job through that agency.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

pandaK posted:

Here have this plus more

:sigh:
I knew someone would post that; I just didn't think it would be so fast.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Christmas Jones posted:

I had to take a personality test at an employment agency once. It said I was a Blue. I did not receive a job through that agency.

I'm willing to bet it was a Myers-Briggs test and they were sugar-coating the results.

It's always Myers-Briggs. Always. I had to do it twice two years ago to get in a training course.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

pandaK posted:

Here have this plus more

Aside from being terrifying, who the heck is that? Yuna's dad, Jecht, and Auron?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yep, exactly those three. It's based on some official FFX2 art, too.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

pandaK posted:

Here have this plus more

You know, a lot of people have been clamoring for a Final Fantasy X-0 featuring Braska, Auron, and Jecht's adventure. After seeing this, I'm terrified as to which direction such a project would go.

Flashbang!
May 16, 2009
The songstress sphere would dress Jecht like David Lee Roth.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Elentor posted:

I'm willing to bet it was a Myers-Briggs test and they were sugar-coating the results.

It's always Myers-Briggs. Always. I had to do it twice two years ago to get in a training course.

A dumbed-down, less-descriptive Myers-Briggs!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Elentor posted:

I don't mind personality tests since they make it possible to tell the employer exactly what they want to hear, and it also means you can google for answers if the company is big enough.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Flashbang! posted:

The songstress sphere would dress Jecht like David Lee Roth.

Is it wrong that I want to see that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Prison Warden posted:

If I remember right AC also has midgar looking aesthetically identical to a modern day city, not with all the cool architecture of what little we see above the plates in FF7, and all the cars seem to be more normal looking rather than with all the awesome mako pipes and kinda 50s era designs they had back here so I'm pretty willing to just ignore any EU info on the basis they don't know what the gently caress they are doing.

The one thing that always confused me is, aside from a to-video-dvd thing (Before Crisis?, all this compilation stuff never produced was something that used to be pretty common: A short run of traditional 22-minutes and like 12 episode anime showing characters dicking around.

A ton of RPGs had and still do this (usually with stuff hammered out to fit a TV format, either talking about post-game stuff or retelling stuff like the Xenosaga one). It was usually a pure marketing thing to show off some voice talent or pad a company's promotion yeah, but was a good source to put all the side poo poo you expected fans to want but probably couldn't fit in one big rear end movie.

All the FF EU seems to do is really hype up one or two set pieces at an expensive price, and the whole mood smells of a more modern take being shoehorned in and feeling weirdly unfamiliar. I think a huge factor is there's a different in a character BEING interesting and deep and a character USED in an interesting way; I can't really get interested in the "new" characters and plots shoehorned in for some reason.

• Locked thread