Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Is there anything that would make a reasonable substitute for cumin? The strong smell bothers one of my housemates and we lack enough ventilation to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So my wife and I were recently donated a 10 pound smoked ham that is currently taking up room in our freezer. It's just the two of us so that's a lot of meat. Since it says fully cooked on the package I guess that's one less thing for me to worry about, but are there any good re-heating methods or sauces that could be recommended? Probably going to divide it into smaller portions before any re-heating.

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^What are you making? There might be substitutions based on that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ham and black-eyed peas with the bone, at least, would be a good idea.

Cuddlebottom posted:

Is there anything that would make a reasonable substitute for cumin? The strong smell bothers one of my housemates and we lack enough ventilation to make up for it.

What sort of food are you cooking? If you're making Tex-Mex or California Mexican you can't really use anything else. I dunno, it's a pretty distinctive spice.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

So my wife and I were recently donated a 10 pound smoked ham that is currently taking up room in our freezer. It's just the two of us so that's a lot of meat. Since it says fully cooked on the package I guess that's one less thing for me to worry about, but are there any good re-heating methods or sauces that could be recommended? Probably going to divide it into smaller portions before any re-heating.

I would go with potato soup with ham instead of bacon.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.

NinjaDebugger posted:

I would go with potato soup with ham instead of bacon.

And pea soup! And lentil! And fry up slices with eggs. Yay ham.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have any good suggestions for lamb loin chops?

Picked up some on sale, but I have no idea what to do with them.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Cuddlebottom posted:

the gently caress? no. Cumin is literally the most important part to any dish that calls for it. Burn that retard to the ground.

DivineAssassin
Sep 15, 2008
Hey! Just a general question, here.
I'm looking to make a boozy chocolate sauce for all-purpose dessert coverings. Most recipes I encounter use the standard cocoa-rich dark chocolate, water, butter, caster sugar in a pan method. Some list vanilla extract as a must but others say liquor can be used as a substitute.
Does anyone have any advice? If so, which drinks should be used for best effect?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

DivineAssassin posted:

Hey! Just a general question, here.
I'm looking to make a boozy chocolate sauce for all-purpose dessert coverings. Most recipes I encounter use the standard cocoa-rich dark chocolate, water, butter, caster sugar in a pan method. Some list vanilla extract as a must but others say liquor can be used as a substitute.
Does anyone have any advice? If so, which drinks should be used for best effect?

I recommend Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder, neufchatel, powdered sugar, white sugar, and a little 360 Double Chocolate Vodka. Prepare cold with an immersion blender or electric eggbeaters.

I just throw things together for this sort of project but for measurements I guess I'd recommend:

1/2 cup Special Dark
1/2 block neufchatel
1/4 cup powdered sugar
~1/4 cup white sugar
~2 tablespoons vodka

After you put that all together, white sugar is your thickener, and you may want more vodka. Hey goons, what's the right choice for a good thickener that doesn't add sweet? Egg white?

Also, 360 Double Chocolate Vodka is amazing by itself, have a sip; please be responsible, as it can make pants fall right off. Plus the bottle's a fliptop, worth saving for later project storage.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I've been learning how to cook over the past couple of years, but my biggest problem is that there isn't a single thing that can get me to cook in the morning.

I'm going on a medication that's going to wreck my appetite. I'm already underweight, but it's nothing bad. It could be a health risk if I lose more weight, though. And it's important I eat something high in protein for breakfast.

Only problem is... I don't know what it should be. I gladly cook stir fry or a big pasta dish for lunch, but when I wake up? You can't make me cook so much as make scrambled eggs. I'd be more likely to crack eggs open into a glass and drink it.

If anyone has any recommendations, literally something I just can grab and eat every morning that's high in protein without any preparation, I'd appreciate it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leftovers of something protein heavy you made last night.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Leftovers of something protein heavy you made last night.

I don't cook something protein heavy for supper every single night. I want it to be something I can consistently reach for - it doesn't matter if I get tired of the taste, I have no appetite when I wake up anyway.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Get some plain greek yogurt and stir in some flavored protein powder (e.g. chocolate, strawberry).

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Hed posted:

Get some plain greek yogurt and stir in some flavored protein powder (e.g. chocolate, strawberry).

I like this idea.

Edit: Do you have any suggestions for the flavored protein powder?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Here is the W&W thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341972

Personally I use TrueProtein's complete milk dairy isolate, premium mocha java flavor. Protein powder in general mixes terribly, though. I don't know if I'd stir protein powder into greek yogurt as much as I'd blend the gently caress out of it. I find greek yogurt in sweet applications a little weird, though, so for all I know it mixes fine.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sure, this is what I have been using lately: http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1326732860&sr=8-6. You can find protein powder at most stores, just watch out for the ones that have more than 1 or 2 carbs per scoop if you're sensitive to too much sweetener in the morning. Here is where the goons talk about how each brand's flavor is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341972 . You could search the thread or just ask them if you come across something specific.

e: to hawkgirl's comment I just plop the powder on top and fold into the yogurt and I enjoy the texture and taste. With the chocolate streaks it's like a tart breakfast mousse. v:shobon:v

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Hed posted:

Sure, this is what I have been using lately: http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1326732860&sr=8-6. You can find protein powder at most stores, just watch out for the ones that have more than 1 or 2 carbs per scoop if you're sensitive to too much sweetener in the morning. Here is where the goons talk about how each brand's flavor is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341972 . You could search the thread or just ask them if you come across something specific.

e: to hawkgirl's comment I just plop the powder on top and fold into the yogurt and I enjoy the texture and taste. With the chocolate streaks it's like a tart breakfast mousse. v:shobon:v

I ordered 2 pounds of the Double Rich Chocolate just as you recommended. Greek yogurt might be difficult to find since our Crest Foods doesn't carry it, any particular reason you recommended it over regular yogurt?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Benjamin Black posted:

I ordered 2 pounds of the Double Rich Chocolate just as you recommended. Greek yogurt might be difficult to find since our Crest Foods doesn't carry it, any particular reason you recommended it over regular yogurt?

It has roughly half the sugar and twice the protein. It's also thick and creamy.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Also Powerbar Harvest Energy Bars, specifically the Apple Cinnamon one. The rest of them are pretty terrible but that one is a dynamite breakfast replacement. Even pairs well with coffee. High protein and the carbs are the slow-digesting type (ie good for your glycemic index). The local grocery store sells them for a buck apiece which is a good price for a solid breakfast.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Benjamin Black posted:

Thicker(strained), so more protein and lower in carbs per given amount. Also, the straining makes even nonfat yogurt taste rich and creamy.

For your purposes, there shouldn't be a problem with either. If you find you like strained yogurt, but can't get it easily, just line a colander with paper towels and dump a large thing of plain yogurt in there. Let it sit overnight in your fridge, and voila, thick greek yogurt.

EDIT: Forgot to add that you should put the colander in a bowl of some sort to catch the whey, unless you want whey all over your fridge...

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

When we were doing high protein breakfasts, I would just hard-boil a bunch of eggs on Sunday night and eat them through the week. You have to like hardboiled eggs, of course, which lots of people don't.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

When we were doing high protein breakfasts, I would just hard-boil a bunch of eggs on Sunday night and eat them through the week. You have to like hardboiled eggs, of course, which lots of people don't.

They're okay. Re-heating them though, blech, does not sound appetizing.

Also, thanks for all the advice everyone. This is going to help me a lot.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hed posted:

That sounds kind of nice, actually. I was just having terrible flashbacks of trying to casually mix some powder into milk or almond milk. I tend to have my protein powder as a smoothie nowadays. Sometimes I will brew some double-strength tea and pretend that I am having a frappuccino. :downs:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Benjamin Black posted:

who eats hard-boiled eggs hot anyways? I've always eaten them cold, and eaten anything they're an ingredient in (egg salad, deviled eggs, sauce gribiche) cold too. Just peel and slice them with a little salt, maybe some hot sauce.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

pile of brown posted:

who eats hard-boiled eggs hot anyways? I've always eaten them cold, and eaten anything they're an ingredient in (egg salad, deviled eggs, sauce gribiche) cold too. Just peel and slice them with a little salt, maybe some hot sauce.

Dust them with Old Bay or Smoked Paprika. If you are feeling really fancy toast a bagel or whatever and eat them sliced on that.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

a handful of dust posted:

Anyone have any good suggestions for lamb loin chops?

Picked up some on sale, but I have no idea what to do with them.

Make some Arni Kleftiko, rub lamb chops with olive oil and seasoning and put them on top, bake with the lid on and open near the end to sear the lamb

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

SYFY HYPHY posted:

the gently caress? no. Cumin is literally the most important part to any dish that calls for it. Burn that retard to the ground.
:( Guess I'll have inferior Mexican then.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Cuddlebottom posted:

:( Guess I'll have inferior Mexican then.

Don't despair! Try a mixture of garlic and onions fried in butter as a cumin substitute. It's not perfect but might make up part of it.

Oh, also try Montreal Steak brand Garlic and Herb Seasoning. It's an odd flavor that reminds me of a bouncy version of cumin. That plus some smoke flavor might make up for cumin nicely.

Finally, try "smokey chipotle" chili powder, usually available in the supermarket next to normal chili powder nowadays. It has a much deeper and more sultry flavor than normal chili powder and while it doesn't replace cumin, it does sometimes replace both cumin and chili powder for me.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

Also, thanks for all the advice everyone. This is going to help me a lot.

DO NOT PUT HARD BOILED EGGS IN THE MICROWAVE. (Not even for ten seconds)

As for breakfast options, cheese and fruit are good. I have to do high-protein in the mornings too, and I find adding in some carbs perks me up a bit, so I'll generally have eggs and a banana, or yogurt and a glass of OJ.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Wroughtirony posted:

I warmed up a hard boiled egg in the microwave, opened the door, looked at it, no cracks, no signs of cracking, bursting, anything. Took it back to my desk, started browsing the web and then cracked into the shell using my thumb.

POOF

The soft muffled sound of a magician's smoke bomb as the top half exploded in my face. The particles of egg that were projected were incredibly fine, like dust almost. I opened my eyes (my lashes coated in egg bits like they were snowflakes) and realized that the explosion wasn't just powerful enough to coat my face, it had powdered my desk and the walls with egg. I frantically spent an hour cleaning that poo poo up, terrified of what my room would smell like if I didn't find and clean up every single last bit.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Benjamin Black posted:

You can make Greek yogurt fairly easily. Just make up a batch of yogurt (bring some milk to a simmer, allow to cool to 110F, add yogurt culture or live active yogurt, leave in a warm place for 24 hours) and then strain through cheesecloth for a couple hours. You can make a really big batch this way for drat cheap too.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

As for breakfast options, cheese and fruit are good. I have to do high-protein in the mornings too, and I find adding in some carbs perks me up a bit, so I'll generally have eggs and a banana, or yogurt and a glass of OJ.

Relax, I wouldn't have microwaved it with the shell still on.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Benjamin Black posted:

Me neither, but after Steve Yun's story, now I want to.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Me neither, but after Steve Yun's story, now I want to.

You have two kids now, right? Get one of them to do it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That was about 3 years ago. I didn't know how to operate a rice cooker until I started browsing this forum a little over a year ago.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Does anyone know a good place to buy dry beans, nuts, etc. online?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I warmed up a hard boiled egg in the microwave, opened the door, looked at it, no cracks, no signs of cracking, bursting, anything. Took it back to my desk, started browsing the web and then cracked into the shell using my thumb.

POOF

The soft muffled sound of a magician's smoke bomb as the top half exploded in my face. The particles of egg that were projected were incredibly fine, like dust almost. I opened my eyes (my lashes coated in egg bits like they were snowflakes) and realized that the explosion wasn't just powerful enough to coat my face, it had powdered my desk and the walls with egg. I frantically spent an hour cleaning that poo poo up, terrified of what my room would smell like if I didn't find and clean up every single last bit.

Holy poo poo I want to do this.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

Shell off, they explode even faster. Takes about eight seconds.

You can cut up the egg into small pieces and then tightly plastic wrap the container, and then you just have little exploded egg chunks in a bowl. Warm, but not appetizing.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Kind of a weird question, but I seem to have bought a bag of frozen and undercooked burritos.

Do I just microwave them for longer? Cook them in the oven? What the hell do I do with these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

uberwekkness posted:

Kind of a weird question, but I seem to have bought a bag of frozen and undercooked burritos.

Do I just microwave them for longer? Cook them in the oven? What the hell do I do with these?

Yeah....frozen burritos? Nuke the poo poo outta them. Doesn't really matter, tbh. If you don't like the disturbingly tough parts of tortilla that results from over-nuking, baking them works as well. I did 325 for like 25 minutes, or until it got golden brown on the outside. Should turn out disturbingly crispy, if cheap rear end frozen burritos are the same as when I was in college.

Of course, the real answer is to make cheap as poo poo homemade bean and cheese burritos, but I still remember what college was like, so there's my recommendations. May I recommend you drown them in sour cream and hot sauce? Good hot sauce is cheap, and provides instant, real flavor to even the shittiest food!