Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tripcode Mel
Nov 23, 2008

Melons with a vengeance.
Melvengeance.

ConanThe3rd posted:

So is he new to giant robot anime or?

If it wasn't on Toonami, he hasn't watched it. "Pretty much.. G Gundam and Big O, right?" "Yeah, and Gundam Wing, and a little Zoids.. but I don't count Zoids because it sucked."

EDIT: "Boss Borot is the best unit in the game. He's a tank, he's a healer, he can self-destruct and costs nothing to repair. There is NO downside to using him. I wish Fire Emblem had a guy like this."

Tripcode Mel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The second zoids series they showed was pretty awesome. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I remember liking it because of the over arcing story.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

The second zoids series they showed was pretty awesome. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I remember liking it because of the over arcing story.

Yeah, Chaotic Century owned. New Century Zero (the first one with the fightan tournament crap) had its moments but nothing really stood out. I think it also came out later in Japan and had all kinds of references we wouldn't get because of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
All I remember of the tourney one was the robot judge dudes who rode inside giant loving brachiosaur mechs, and there was an EVIL black robot judge, and near the end the good and evil judges beat the poo poo out of each other with their little flag arm things.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Da-Garn episode 21 out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

All I remember of the tourney one was the robot judge dudes who rode inside giant loving brachiosaur mechs, and there was an EVIL black robot judge, and near the end the good and evil judges beat the poo poo out of each other with their little flag arm things.

That was pretty much the best part of the whole show.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Bryger episode 23 out.

Edit: Bryger episode 24 out.

Little Abigail fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 17, 2012

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
So is anyone else watching Rinne No Lagrange or Lagrange The Flower of Rin-ne or whatever it's called? I don't really get what's going on so far, but it's pretty and there's robot suplexes so I'm enjoying it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'm pretty sure that two warring factions in space realized that there were robots on earth and sent people to keep them from the other side. One side got there first but found they couldn't use them so decided to tell the earth governments that the other side was invading so that pilots would be found for them. The robots probably have a Xenoglossia thing going on where they pick their pilots, which since Shigeru Morita was involved in both show's concept creation it makes sense.

I'm enjoying the show but it's pretty middle of the road out side of the art and animation so far.

The Nissan robots are growing on me though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Cross-postin' from the Super Robot Wars thread in Gamees. Y'all ready for some Super Robot Wars Z2-2?

Series list because there's some newcomers!
- Zambot 3
- Daitarn 3
- Trider G7
- God Sigma
- Baldios
- :siren:Taiyo no Shisha TETSUJIN 28-GO:siren:
- Godmars
- Xabungle
- VOTOMS
- VOTOMS The Last Red Shoulder
- VOTOMS Red Shoulder Document: The Roots of Ambition
- VOTOMS Pailsen Files
- Orguss
- Zeta Gundam
- Char's Counterattack
- Gundam Wing
- Gundam X
- Turn-A Gundam
- Gundam SEED Destiny
- Gundam 00 Second Season
- Dancouga
- Dancouga Nova
- Macross 7
- Macross Dynamite 7
- Macross F
- Macross F the Movie: The Wings of Goodbye
- Getter Robo Armageddon
- Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-hen
- Dai-Guard
- The Big-O
- Overman King Gainer
- Gravion
- Gravion Zwei
- Aquarion
- Code Geass
- Code Geass R2
- Gurren Lagann
- Gurren Lagann: Gurren Hen
- Gurren Lagann: Lagann Hen
- Eureka Seven: Pocket Full of Rainbows

It's coming out APRIL 5TH! GET HYPE!

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Mercury Crusader posted:

I was hype as soon as Black Getter appeared. Macross 7 and anything beyond is just icing on the cake.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Dat God Scrander!

Also Zeus better be a unit in the game.

Sherlock Hyde
Jul 22, 2007
Holy poo poo, Gigantor's finally gonna be in one of these? The only thing that could make me more excited for this would be Giant Robo.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Sherlock Hyde posted:

Holy poo poo, Gigantor's finally gonna be in one of these? The only thing that could make me more excited for this would be Giant Robo.

You mean the first appearance of Giant Robo? Because you're in luck, he's appeared previously in SRW Alpha. You mean the reappearance of Giant Robo? Sorry, because of some licensing issue or other they can never get him back again. I think it's the price.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

Almost all of my favorite robot shows (plus some poo poo I don't care about but whatever) in one game? I am beyond hype.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Eeevil posted:

So is anyone else watching Rinne No Lagrange or Lagrange The Flower of Rin-ne or whatever it's called? I don't really get what's going on so far, but it's pretty and there's robot suplexes so I'm enjoying it.
Yeah, I'm watching it as well, along with Aquarion EVOL. Maybe it's because I don't watch much anime outside mecha and sci-fi stuff, but Rinne's main character Madoka cracks me up. I definitely agree about the show being pretty.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I just finished Shin Mazinger Z. Man that was great.

Why. Why did it have to end like that. I mean you go back and watch the start of episode 1 and 2 and Kouji pretty much dies to The Great Emperor of Darkness. Or at least Mazinger Z is in dire straits and Kouji is unconscious while the Great Emperor is standing in front of him.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

havenwaters posted:

I just finished Shin Mazinger Z. Man that was great.

Why. Why did it have to end like that. I mean you go back and watch the start of episode 1 and 2 and Kouji pretty much dies to The Great Emperor of Darkness. Or at least Mazinger Z is in dire straits and Kouji is unconscious while the Great Emperor is standing in front of him.

Which I guess is where Great Mazinger comes in? I dunno. Also welcome to the club of people who wish it didn't end on a cliffhanger that badly

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
It ends in a manner very similar to the Mazinger Z TV series. Two Mikene beasts come out and completely overwhelm Mazinger and his allies. Kouji was barely able to put up a fight before being defeated in a humiliating manner. Great Mazinger comes out and annihilates the beasts. Personally I much prefer Mazinger Z vs Ankoku Daishogun, which is pretty much a retelling of Mazinger Z's ending, except that Kouji gets to actually put up a fight. It would probably bother people a lot less if there had been a sequel announced.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Obviously, they wanted to set it up for a Great Mazinger sequel, to at least stay true to how it worked in the '70s version. And who knows when or if that'll ever happen, considering Shin Mazinger didn't involve high school girls and thus did not do that well probably.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
I don't know why there's even debate. The full title of the show even calls it the Z Chapter, which pretty much implies that there are more (that will never be made because nobody watched/bought the drat show).

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Oh man, Shin Great would be... heh great :allears:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Oh man, Shin Great would be... heh great :allears:

I remember someone, I think it may have been Zorak, theorizing that Shin Great Mazinger would transform in to a sword the way that Shin Mazinger Z transforms in to a fist using it's scrander. I liked that theory. Pity :(

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Gundam Extreme Vs. rules. God Gundam rules. Thanks for the push to convince me to buy this guys.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

tsob posted:

I remember someone, I think it may have been Zorak, theorizing that Shin Great Mazinger would transform in to a sword the way that Shin Mazinger Z transforms in to a fist using it's scrander. I liked that theory. Pity :(

And then later Shin Grendizer turns into an UFO!

Oh wait.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Gundam Extreme Vs. rules. God Gundam rules. Thanks for the push to convince me to buy this guys.

glad to see someone else bought it? have a psn id you want to share? need to play some people in north america.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

My PSN for import stuff is MusouMatt. If you see me playing, feel free to message and I'll poorly play the Blue Destiny or something.

Glad to hear you like it too Taurus.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
PSN is the same as my forum name, but it's gonna be quite a while before I can play anyone online. I'm currently working(my work involves me living in a hotel for quite a while), and suffice to say, the internet sucks. We can try right now or on Sundays when it's my day off, but don't be surprised if I suddenly disconnect.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

alright I'll add you guys my psn is anubis3535

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

tsob posted:

It totally would have happened. Ankoku Daishogun would have been beaten by Z wielding Great and it would have been rad as gently caress.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Zorak posted:

It totally would have happened. Ankoku Daishogun would have been beaten by Z wielding Great and it would have been rad as gently caress.

They could've called it the Scramble Slash.

Man, I'm disappointed we're never gonna see Great-hen.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Son Ryo posted:

You mean the first appearance of Giant Robo? Because you're in luck, he's appeared previously in SRW Alpha. You mean the reappearance of Giant Robo? Sorry, because of some licensing issue or other they can never get him back again. I think it's the price.

What? The original Giant Robo has never been in SRW. Alpha had Giant Robo: The Animation - The Day the Earth Stood Still, the one everyone wants. It only had Giant Robo and GinRei Robo as units, but most of the cast appeared in the story scenes and we got Shocking Alberto versus an Angel. It also appeared in SRW64, which featured Shocking Alberto versus Master Asia. We will never see this version again, the rights are too expensive.

I don't think anyone but Banpresto's lawyers know if the original Giant Robo is available or too expensive. People have pointed out that the 80s version of Tetsujin was pretty different from the original, much like Mars the manga versus Godmars the anime. It's possible these are under slightly different (and more affordable) rights.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
The reason the rights aren't available is that the Yokoyama estate wants it that way. You straight trippin' if you think trying to get the original source material version is going to be easier than the Super Yokoyama Wars version from TDTESS. Willing to bet the 80s Tetsujin and Godmars rights are both entirely held by TMS as significant derivatives that licensed the original bits (and hired Yokoyama to write in the case of Godmars).

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

/a/non scanlations translated the first chapter of Eureka Seven AO manga.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Looking good so far, though I must say that some of the technology in there doesn't make sense given the level of what they had in the original E7.

I wonder where Space Nirvash got those upgrades from.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Only Aquarion can pull off LOVE IS FORBIDDEN as a plot element with a straight face :allears:.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The first chapter of western super robot comic Robot God Akamatsu has just been released online. I don't know a whole lot about this, but the art looks gorgeous. It seems to have an Aztec motif.

RGA' website posted:

Robot God AKAMATSU is a valentine to the Super Robot genre of the late 1970’s and early 1980’s. Giant robots and monsters attack Boston, and Robot God Akamatsu (RGA, for short) is the city’s only form of defense!

RGA is also about the relationship between a father and his estranged son, about the abuse of power and how far some are willing to go to see their goals met. It’s a little bit Ultraman, a little bit Voltron, a little bit Force Five, and a mighty dollop of Shogun Warriors.

Check it out here: http://robotgodakamatsu.blogspot.com/

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Schwarzwald posted:

It’s a little bit Ultraman, a little bit Voltron, a little bit Force Five, and a mighty dollop of Shogun Warriors.

:gizz:

loving sold.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Seems a little messy in terms of writing for a first chapter, but the arts pretty solid and I like the supremely 80s robot design. Definitely going to be keeping an eye out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

New Eureka Seven AO characters.

• Locked thread