Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009
Haha I'm glad that fight came across as brutal because from my side it looked like two hilariously ill conceived builds, limply stroking each other for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killthenrun1
Dec 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Are you going to be updating when the new version comes out? If so can we expect delays?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I believe that, traditionally, the same version has been used throughout a single tournament, especially since Vox has done considerable balance adjustments. Though it would be interesting to be able to buy an 'undead' upgrade for your character.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Only available in the loser's bracket. ;)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Killthenrun1 posted:

Are you going to be updating when the new version comes out? If so can we expect delays?

No more delays than usual. ;)

I will continue with the current version for this tournament, as PublicOpinion stated.

Killthenrun1
Dec 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Ok fair enough but buying a undead option in future tournaments sounds intresting. Unless undead nerfs a character of course.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Killthenrun1 posted:

Ok fair enough but buying a undead option in future tournaments sounds intresting. Unless undead nerfs a character of course.

Currently, undead creatures seem to collapse automatically after a number of hits, even glancing, ineffectual hits. We'll see if they're more viable after the next update.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
On the other hand, necromantic power might be viable for purchase, given that it wouldn't provide any advantage except in Free-For-All battles and in the cases where a limb gets hacked off. In which case the necromancer still has to hack off the limb first!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Vox, I just realized I need you to run the next two fights, STAT!

:ohdear:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Seven:siren:

Match Seven, KillerQueen (Valigarmanda) vs. Aspen (iLonie)

KillerQueen, soldier ant woman, has a bizarre and impressive array of gear. She carries an iron whip and silver crossbow and bolts. Her armor includes leather low boots, iron greaves, iron gauntlets, steel breast plate, copper mail shirt, and both a copper and steel cap, but no proper full helm. Aspen, an elf-like human, is equipped with a steel long sword and a complete set of iron armor. Will KillerQueen's silver bolts be able to penetrate iron plate? We'll find out momentarily!

The match begins, and KillerQueen fires a bolt! In a skillful display of athleticism, Aspen leaps aside and dodges the flying projectile at the last second, despite being clad in a full suit of armor!

As Aspen closes, now moving at an oblique angle, KillerQueen fires a second shot- but the projectile flies harmlessly through the air a full pace behind the onrushing gladiator!

Aspen closes into melee range as KillerQueen desperately fumbles a bolt into place. The ant woman throws herself to the side, dodging the sword-maiden's first strike. Before Aspen can strike again, KillerQueen FIRES! The bolt flies downward into Aspen's leg, breaking through armor but failing to inflict more than a deep cut on the flesh itself. Now Aspen slashes viciously at her opponent's delicate limbs, cleaving off one, then two hands! KillerQueen is left holding her bolts and her whip, but her crossbow falls to the ground, still held in the grip of one of her lost hands.

Two strikes to the center mass are deflected by KillerQueen's steel breast plate. But the human does not slow down, aiming a blow to the ant woman's foot and crippling it through its leather armor. KillerQueen drops to the ground, bleeding heavily. Aspen hacks at the faltering ant woman, now taking off entire limbs. Within seconds, KillerQueen perishes. Aspen handily carries the day!

Combat Log

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

At first I saw your post and thought, "Oh, poo poo, no way that worked."

And then I read it and thought, "OH, YOU TEASE, YOU" :v:

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Yep, Munki, you probably shouldn't've said anything...

Killthenrun1
Dec 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Yes now we have to wait double the time. Aspen looks like a strong contender.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Eight:siren:

Match Eight, Barrelbum (FebrezeNinja) vs. Army of Four (Bad Munki)

Barrelbum the tigerman is clad in full-length iron armor. He wields a copper halberd in one hand and carries an oak shield in the other. Army of Four, strangler, has no equipment whatsoever. There is no reason to expect that Army of Four can even harm the tigerman, much less win. At least this will be a short fight.

The "fight" begins. Army of Four strikes first, swatting at the tigerman, but is blocked. Barrelbum charges, and the strangler darts out of the way, scratching at the tigerman as he runs by- but this attempt, too, is blocked.

As the fight continues, it rapidly becomes clear that the defensive skills here outweigh the offensive. Barrelbum blocks most of what is thrown his way, and Army of Four dodges repeatedly. Suddenly, Army of Four manages to bite Barrelbum on the head- but of course, his iron helm easily repels this maneuver. The warriors continue to dance about, Army of Four always a step ahead, but unable to harm his massive, armored opponent.

Finally, Barrelbum manages to knock down Army of Four, cleaving off an arm in the process. He immediately slices open the strangler's belly, spilling its guts.

This fight was over before it started, and now, as Army of Four squirms in a pool of blood next to a pile of offal and limbs, the official end is near. But what's this? The strangler grits his teeth and gets back on his feet! Could this be a comeback in the making? NO! Army of Four immediately collapses, dead, in the pool of bodily fluids beneath him.

Combat Log

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In my defense, I have a long line of miserable failures to uphold.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I didn't even find this thread until just recently, and I am loving the hell out of it.

Bless this mess.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Bad Munki posted:

In my defense, I have a long line of miserable failures to uphold.

And you upheld it magnificently. :golfclap:

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
With that I have won more than I started with on bets.

Killthenrun1
Dec 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
You should have given him the cheapest weakest weapon to make it even funnier.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Sibling of TB posted:

With that I have won more than I started with on bets.

That's because you've started taking my money! :argh:

GoodShipNostalgia
May 7, 2007

"The good ship Nostalgia for Infinity. Still very much as you left her."
Anybody have the link to the tournament with the teams (I think it was thread 2)? I want to read about the hilarious failures of gently caress Rogers again.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Silver armor was a masterful plan, I tell you! :argh:

I think it started somewhere around here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3326801&userid=136940&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post380061015

For those who aren't familiar:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 25, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So did the strangler actually have dodging and fist skills?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I guess it doesn't matter since I'm done with this tournament...

Level 1 Fighting (Novice)
Level 14 Wrestling (Grand Master)
Level 8 Striking (Expert)
Level 13 Dodging (High Master)
Level 2 Kicking (Adequate)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wish I'd bought an irony halberd.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Nine:siren:

Match Nine, El Tigre (Arca) vs. Junai (TurninTrix)

El Tigre, kobold, sports some unusual gear. He carries a shining, ultra-light adamantine short sword, but is weighed down by cheap copper mail, copper cap, copper buckler, copper leggings, and a silver breast plate. Junai, a werewolf, wears a partial set of bronze armor over a simple copper mail shirt. Her weapon of choice is a bronze great axe. El Tigre's adamantine blade may prove to be expensive overkill here- does the kobold have what it takes?

The match begins! El Tigre darts forward, able to outrun his larger opponent. The kobold gets in the first move, but Junai is able to jump aside. As the werewolf reengages, El Tigre strikes again, but Junai catches the blue blade against the haft of her great axe! Junai attempts to turn the tables with a charging attack, but the kobold nimbly escapes. El Tigre stabs at his foe yet again, but the werewolf parries with her weapon once more, and though the blue sword scores a deep cut in the bronze, Junai escapes harm.

Now Junai is back on the offensive, rushing at El Tigre. The kobold's luck runs out, and he eats the cold, hard arena floor, even as Junai's attack misses! Now El Tigre is at his opponent's mercy. Junai hefts her massive axe and goes for broke, swining at El Tigre with all her might! The blade slams into the arena floor, catching the very edge of El Tigre's right hand and trapping it there, but otherwise inflicting minimal harm! Junai frees her axe, and El Tigre escapes to his feet! The werewolf, increasingly frustrated, charges blindly forward, screaming her disdain! But El Tigre throws himself forward, twisting his body in midair, and delivers a devastating ankle-biter slash to Junai's foot!! The adamantine blade does its job, and the werewolf collapses to the ground!

Junai immediately drags herself toward her opponent, fire still in her eyes! The melee resumes, and Junai immediately scores a deep gash upon El Tigre's foot, but the kobold maintains his advantage.

The fight quickly turns dirty. El Tigre is unable to effectively bring his weapon to bear on werewolf, and resorts to scratching wildly at the werewolf. Junai, for her part, wields her axe from just below the head, cutting at El Tigre as one would use a butcher knife! She scores hit after hit, but El Tigre weathers his wounds well, showing no sign of weakening even as he loses hold of his buckler and gouts blood from half a dozen places. Meanwhile, Junai turns the adamantine blade ever time El Tigre attempts to finish the job- it seems as the the werewolf is simply too much for the kobold to master! Eventually, El Tigre's wounds wear him down, and he loses his adamantine sword in the struggle. Even now, though, he kicks Junai in the eye and scratches fiercely at her, like a badger fighting, well, a wolf! But Junai gets her teeth around El Tigre's arm, and in a split second, wrenches it off! El Tigre collapses in a pool of blood, still scratching and biting at the air as death finally sets in upon him.

Combat Log

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I knew it was a risk to put so many points into that!

Great battle, looking forward to reading more :)

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Aaaaaaaand scratch one more kobold. Surprise level: minimal.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I really thought the little guy had that once he shanked the wolf's foot. High weapon skill: super good investment, apparently.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I guess it was too much to ask to see a kobold advance to the Round of 32. :(

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Team Kobold is dead.
Long live Team Kobold.

:cry:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I swear, adamantine weapons are loving cursed.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The worst situation the little guys can get into is fighting an opponent who is both larger and has higher weapon skill. Guess what happened to virtually every kobold?

I think it might have something to do with inexperienced posters picking little fighters, while the experienced managers stick to tried and true strategies.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I just wanted to say that I was a huge fan of the previous arena challenges, and just marathon read this whole thread in a few hours. Totally loving the brutality that comes out of this thread.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

This is probably why most modern bloodsports divide competitors into weight classes.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Vox Nihili posted:

I think it might have something to do with inexperienced posters picking little fighters, while the experienced managers stick to tried and true strategies.

Inexperienced managers that think armor will be of any use whatsoever on a small fighter. I'm very sorry I missed the sign-ups for this round (I was on vacation at the time). My kobold would totally not have won.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Vox, I've got a fever.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So does Vox...34.01 fevers, to be precise.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
There needs to be a separate bet section on O/U for days between updates. Pick an arbitrary number after an update, then take bets on over and under and payout based on who wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
For things that aren't 34.01, though... Vox's original download was on megaupload; can someone who didn't start thoroughly loving with the raws without saving a fresh copy (which I did) upload a copy of the arena version?

• Locked thread