Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up

real_scud posted:

For that much why wouldn't you get the Fanatec CSR shifter set, it's only $60. You get a gated shifter plus a separate sequential shifter if you want to use that instead.

i've played with the Thrustmaster shifter and it's lightyears ahead of the Fanatec CSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pshaw, if you really liked to throw money at problems you'd just cut to the chase and buy a shifter that costs as much as an Elite.

http://www.frex.com/gp/

(I'm not positive but I think the Thrustmaster may only work in sequential mode on Xbox? I've heard good things about it though from the PC/PS3 crew.)

Ok I meant real amounts of money not lottery cheques.

I finally FINALLY got around to finishing the Ottoman crate. The chair is poo poo but I'll live with it for now. The wheel + shifter assembly we built is quite nice. Solid as hell.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I love buying gear but I'm not quite ready to spend that kind of money just for the privilege of being slower around a track.

Looks like you need a interface solution to connect the TH8 and the Fanatec, but it also sounds like they've got it working in H/gated mode.

http://f-wheel.com/forums/index.php/topic,942.0.html

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are we posting pictures of our setups? Here's mine; http://i.imgur.com/lDQxu.jpg with my wheel that I can't use for Forza. :(

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Forgive me if this has been posted, but I think I found a very large PI imbalance.

I took a normal Lambo Gallardo and campaigned it in S class in career for a bit. I then had the bright idea of doing a drivetrain swap to rear-wheel-drive. This dropped it down to A Class.

I did some a/b comparisons on Mugello short and confirmed that even though I dropped it down a bunch of PI points, I didn't really lose much, if any time while hotlapping.

In S-class, with a PI of 700, I was getting 1:02.9 on Mugello short, and with a PI of 650ish I was pulling 1:03 flat in RWD. The car is a little bit more twitchy and less forgiving, but not slower.

So then I upgraded back up to 700 in RWD, and the car absolutely STOMPS S class. I then started competing in R3 races with my S class. I then hired a driver and the driver still beats R3 by a solid lead, like the length of the front straight.

I then did a lambo v12 swap and did engine mods up to about 880 horsepower, to the top of R3 class. I am beating the AI drivers by roughly 8 seconds per lap on sebring short.

I don't know how this translates to online racing, or if it works with the bigger lambos or other AWD cars, but it's interesting.

My apologies if this was found a day into the games release.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Here's my set up. Taken with a lovely blackberry camera that for some reason adds pixels.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You guys with your fancy rigs and wheels. :frogout:

:smug:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

I can play, too! Not pictured: the controller I use :argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Once upon a time I stood my xbox vertical like that, until a cat rubbed up against it in the process of begging me for dinner, unseated the disc that was spinning inside, and completely destroyed it.

So now it's a horizontal only affair.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

xzzy posted:

So now it's a horizontal only affair.

That's what I keep trying to tell Julie.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

jonathan posted:

Forgive me if this has been posted, but I think I found a very large PI imbalance.

I took a normal Lambo Gallardo and campaigned it in S class in career for a bit. I then had the bright idea of doing a drivetrain swap to rear-wheel-drive. This dropped it down to A Class.

I did some a/b comparisons on Mugello short and confirmed that even though I dropped it down a bunch of PI points, I didn't really lose much, if any time while hotlapping.

In S-class, with a PI of 700, I was getting 1:02.9 on Mugello short, and with a PI of 650ish I was pulling 1:03 flat in RWD. The car is a little bit more twitchy and less forgiving, but not slower.

So then I upgraded back up to 700 in RWD, and the car absolutely STOMPS S class. I then started competing in R3 races with my S class. I then hired a driver and the driver still beats R3 by a solid lead, like the length of the front straight.

I then did a lambo v12 swap and did engine mods up to about 880 horsepower, to the top of R3 class. I am beating the AI drivers by roughly 8 seconds per lap on sebring short.

I don't know how this translates to online racing, or if it works with the bigger lambos or other AWD cars, but it's interesting.

My apologies if this was found a day into the games release.

AWD was messed up in F3 so they nerfed it a lot (too much IMO) to make sure AWD isn't an automatic win. Almost every car you can swap RWD into will be faster as RWD. The only significant advantage I see in AWD now is on launch.

bich
Dec 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh

General Probe posted:

AWD was messed up in F3 so they nerfed it a lot (too much IMO) to make sure AWD isn't an automatic win. Almost every car you can swap RWD into will be faster as RWD. The only significant advantage I see in AWD now is on launch.

The advantage of AWD is you don't completely lose your poo poo when some cocksucker in a muscle car slams into you for the 5000th time per race

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

You guys have me beat with the wheels, but I've got the best drink rest :smug:

Daang, I've gotta clean my GoPro lens...

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CaseFace McGee posted:

You guys have me beat with the wheels, but I've got the best drink rest :smug:

Daang, I've gotta clean my GoPro lens...

Holy poo poo I had forgotten about that cabinet. I so want to come over and play your bass rig.
I may have a pic I can share, I'll look through the pics I have here at work. Otherwise I'll up something later. I love my home theater setup.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Ringo Star Get posted:

Here's my set up. Taken with a lovely blackberry camera that for some reason adds pixels.

So, uh, can I come over and play? You have the most AI set up- does that switchbox do anything?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Why no smartphone mounted to the top of the monitor as a rear-view mirror? Lazy

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Ringo Star Get posted:

Does the iPad actually integrate into the system?

EXPLAIN YOURSELF!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Puddin posted:

Does the iPad actually integrate into the system?

EXPLAIN YOURSELF!
Looks like it's iHud for iRacing

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

It is iHud, which is great for listing lap times and RPG gauge. I gotta get a wireless router since my modem is on the other side of the house and so sometimes my signal dies down.

As for the switchboard its only for the PC. Above the "ENGINE START" button is a toggle switch with safety...I flip it up, hit the switch and then press the ENGINE START for authentic fun racing. The other switches I use for controlling in car settings or pit limiter, etc.

I'm using the Fanatec wheel-stand, but I may build something around it so that I don't have to keep hoofing it to and from my desk, which is where I work. I got girly arms.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I just got my wheel and it's been a while since I've driven manual so I forgot how hard rev matching is. I'm doing some exercises to get myself used to the idea again before getting back to proper heel and toe. For some reason, double clutch is a lot easier for me than just blipping the throttle through neutral. I'd post my setup but I got the AIest setup with my fanatec boxes being used to keep the pedals from moving.

Also, whoever asked me (Imagination Box on XBL) to join, I'm practicing with the wheel right now. Have fun with the LeMons tonight!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This is my setup. I don't use a steering wheel because I can't get it to feel natural with my apartment layout and furniture. Soon I will build an ottoman setup I think.

That bass bin above is interesting. What is the design ? Tapped horn ?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

jonathan posted:

That bass bin above is interesting. What is the design ? Tapped horn ?

It's a Bill FitzMaurice folded-horn design, adapted for recessed handles on the sides and top as well as wheels on the bottom so I can roll it like a rollie-backpack of awesomeness. Full-range capability from under 30hz all the way past 20k. 2 12" woofers, 6" midrange and the tweeter, all Eminence brand. Its low-end response is insane - it sucks up the 500 watts from my LMIII at unmiked-drumkit volumes unless I CUT the low-end. Kickass clarity.

EDIT: /derail GTCC had some crazy awesome racing tonight, videos to come over the weekend. Lessons learned: 1) Radicals are not meant for Maple Valley multiclass racing with assists off, 2) Canadian internet connection is best internet connection, and 3) don't gently caress with Synmoo's aero.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 19, 2012

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

CaseFace McGee posted:

It's a Bill FitzMaurice folded-horn design, adapted for recessed handles on the sides and top as well as wheels on the bottom so I can roll it like a rollie-backpack of awesomeness. Full-range capability from under 30hz all the way past 20k. 2 12" woofers, 6" midrange and the tweeter, all Eminence brand. Its low-end response is insane - it sucks up the 500 watts from my LMIII at unmiked-drumkit volumes unless I CUT the low-end. Kickass clarity.

EDIT: /derail GTCC had some crazy awesome racing tonight, videos to come over the weekend. Lessons learned: 1) Radicals are not meant for Maple Valley multiclass racing with assists off, 2) Canadian internet connection is best internet connection, and 3) don't gently caress with Synmoo's aero.

Oh man that race. I could not keep my Radical planted. Then again I didn't tune it at all, I should have brought the aero down to keep the wheels planted, but then again I like to drop out of the lobby to beat my meat to Fruit Ninja on my iPad with my sack dangling.

Please try and squeeze me spinning out on every turn in lap one!

Lightglobe
Oct 15, 2005

CaseFace McGee posted:

1) Radicals are not meant for Maple Valley multiclass racing with assists off

This opinion is wrong.

The radical is the correct choice for every race from now on. I never want to stop racing that thing. Might teach everyone to be more careful when racing around others. Although me saying that is hilarious because the only reason I lost that race was because I stupidly caused myself front aero damage passing a backmarker and could no longer carry anywhere near as much speed in corners. Sorry again for that Llama Slayer. I shouldn't have expected you to get much as much speed out of the corner as me.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Had a lot of fun with yesterday's SAEG races. Sorry about the first corner at Indy, I totally forgot to brake :v:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CaseFace McGee posted:

derail GTCC had some crazy awesome racing tonight, videos to come over the weekend. Lessons learned: 1) Radicals are not meant for Maple Valley multiclass racing with assists off,

I was doing really well until Lightglobe's AI car shunted me into ALL THE WALLS on lap 18 of 20. I mean, I was doing fine and being careful in my Radical. Then I had to limp through two laps with 100% damage all around because I didn't know that the car coming up behind me was going to loving rape me.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Ringo Star Get posted:

Please try and squeeze me spinning out on every turn in lap one!

I still feel pretty terrible dumping you in the second corner but I ran outta pavement and would have created so much more carnage had I not just love-tapped your front end.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Now I'm twice as pissed that my stupid internet wouldn't let me join.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr. Faustus posted:

I was doing really well until Lightglobe's AI car shunted me into ALL THE WALLS on lap 18 of 20. I mean, I was doing fine and being careful in my Radical. Then I had to limp through two laps with 100% damage all around because I didn't know that the car coming up behind me was going to loving rape me.
The rape occurred both ways. :/

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I still feel pretty terrible dumping you in the second corner but I ran outta pavement and would have created so much more carnage had I not just love-tapped your front end.

It's cool Fax Piss, even on turn 2 the Radical is a shitbeast.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Ok now that I have a seat to use my wheel with, I see what everybody with old deprecated Fanatec wheels is moaning about. Cars are undriveable. I've had more fun with my controller. Even the WSW was better than this.

Adding insult to injury is the faulty brake pedal on my ClubSport Pedals. I'll bomb into a corner and keep my line neat, and as soon as I get off the brakes to turn in, I spin out. Struggle to accelerate again.
Bring up telemetry and it's the brakes getting stuck.

I'm not going to trawl the 911wheel blog, so somebody please tell me there's an easy fix that involves oil and wrenches, rather than waiting for a new load cell from Germany. :(

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Did you set your rotation to 270? That seems to help.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I don't really drive above 540 any more, it's too impossible to save any loss of rear wheel traction above that setting and I like to show off with casual drifting crash horribly any time I feel like my lap time is going too well.

If you haven't already replaced the lubricant on your pedals' contact shafts, that was what was causing my brake pedal to stick. I had a launch set of them that had the sticky grey grease on the moving parts, they recommended you replace that with a light bicycle chain oil.

Can't guarantee this is going to fix yours necessarily, but you will at least feel like you worked on a car when you take them apart and re-assemble them. And it won't hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54iQktxDQOM

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Hello Spaceman posted:

Ok now that I have a seat to use my wheel with, I see what everybody with old deprecated Fanatec wheels is moaning about. Cars are undriveable. I've had more fun with my controller. Even the WSW was better than this.

Adding insult to injury is the faulty brake pedal on my ClubSport Pedals. I'll bomb into a corner and keep my line neat, and as soon as I get off the brakes to turn in, I spin out. Struggle to accelerate again.
Bring up telemetry and it's the brakes getting stuck.

I'm not going to trawl the 911wheel blog, so somebody please tell me there's an easy fix that involves oil and wrenches, rather than waiting for a new load cell from Germany. :(

If you take apart the pedals, you'll see that the brake has a metal slug and a foam slug. The problem seems to be that the lubricant stops working on the foam piece and it jams. I bought some dry teflon based lubricant, put that in a baggie with the two slugs and coated them generously before reassembling. I haven't had the brake jam since.

I think the steering issue is just going to require a bunch of re-learning.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
So my gold account thingey expired, can anyone tell me please how i'm gonna be limited now in F4? I'm not doing any multi at the moment, but I assume rivals mode is off the table?

And, what happens to my storefront? Will it be gone and inaccessible or sit there till I get gold again or what? I'm kinda hesitant to get live again because I'm a little short right now, but I don't wanna give up storefront use :(

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I have discovered that if you are racing a DLC car against people who don't have that DLC you are pretty much a racing god. While driving in my Raptor I had two separate people try to pit me going into a turn in Fujikima only to watch as both of them spun out. They thought I was in a Subaru :lol: but, that does bring up a question for me. How does the game decide to choose what car to show to other people? I mean it could have chose the similar Dodge Ram as a proxy but, it went with a Subaru instead?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The default car shown to people who haven't gotten the DLC is a black VW Jetta.. been that way for all the Forza games that have DLC.

I suppose it's possible with the addition of trucks the large vehicles get a different default, but I don't race trucks so wouldn't know.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know how exactly it works in Forza 4, but in 3 it simply displayed you as a totally blacked out VW Bora.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Captain Hair posted:

So my gold account thingey expired, can anyone tell me please how i'm gonna be limited now in F4? I'm not doing any multi at the moment, but I assume rivals mode is off the table?

And, what happens to my storefront? Will it be gone and inaccessible or sit there till I get gold again or what? I'm kinda hesitant to get live again because I'm a little short right now, but I don't wanna give up storefront use :(

My Gold just ran out too, and I still seem to be getting income from my store so I guess it's still accessible to people. I can't add anything new to it or upload photos though. Haven't tried rivals since it expired either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

The default car shown to people who haven't gotten the DLC is a black VW Jetta.. been that way for all the Forza games that have DLC.

I suppose it's possible with the addition of trucks the large vehicles get a different default, but I don't race trucks so wouldn't know.

I'd believe it was Jetta instead of Subaru, the people complaining about my "hax" were, I guess, 13-14.

• Locked thread