Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Azruelli posted:

You might be able to find quite a few that were originally Arcade games among the "Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection"

I do have that, and I mostly consider those simply watered-down Genesis games, and not Arcade ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Xenomorph posted:

I do have that, and I mostly consider those simply watered-down Genesis games, and not Arcade ports.

There are a handful of unlockable actual arcade games though, including Altered Beast, Alien Syndrome, Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, Congo Bongo, Shinobi, and Zaxxon.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Haven't seen this mentioned but I got an amazon email saying if you preorder the Syndicate Executive edition for PS3 (or Xbox360) you also get $20 Amazon credit as a code. The preorder is listed at $60.

It looks like an interesting game, and will support 4 player coop from videos I've seen on youtube, but I haven't seen enough footage to get a good idea of what the set pieces and stuff are like yet - starbreeze make it look like a fast paced game (kills power your characters abilites).

quote:

Hi,

Customers who have shown an interest in "Syndicate" or similar titles might like to know that pre-orders for the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 versions come with a $20 Amazon credit. All pre-orders come with the Executive Package, which includes exclusive in-game content.

The fine print is here.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TheMostFrench posted:

Haven't seen this mentioned but I got an amazon email saying if you preorder the Syndicate Executive edition for PS3 (or Xbox360) you also get $20 Amazon credit as a code. The preorder is listed at $60.

It looks like an interesting game, and will support 4 player coop from videos I've seen on youtube, but I haven't seen enough footage to get a good idea of what the set pieces and stuff are like yet - starbreeze make it look like a fast paced game (kills power your characters abilites).

The fine print is here.

From what I understand the 4 player co-op is NOT for the main story and is instead just single mission type multiplayer. Although, IIRC, the co-op is supposed to be missions from the old school Syndicate games, just redone in the new engine.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Gamestop seems to be having a Buy 2 Get 1 deal on pre-owned games. I just picked up a PS3 in October and only have Dark Souls and Uncharted 1 and 2. I'm thinking about picking up Valkyria Chronicles and God of War 3, but I don't know what to make my third. I played through MGS4 shortly after it was released on my roommate's PS3 and I didn't enjoy the UC games. Other than that I'm open to any suggestions because I'm not too familiar with everything the PS3 has to offer, I mainly got it to play Dark Souls.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm open to any suggestions because I'm not too familiar with everything the PS3 has to offer, I mainly got it to play Dark Souls.

This is the thread for you.

Also-
-Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Arkham City (Asylum has some great moments and City is open world with lots of things to do more characters - DLC only though).
-Read Dead Redemption (fun online play, I thought)
-Metal Gear Solid HD, to complement MGS4. You can get MGS1 from the PSN store too (look up info on it first though I hear it is not quite the same?)
-Resistance 3 (It has local co-op and online, great unique weapons, easy to get the hang of).
-Skate 3 (nice big open world with lots of things to do tricks on, big park editor to make pretty much whatever you want, photo mode, you can download other designs and upload your own etc and these let you get more unlocks in the game - if you like a chill game get this).
-Saints Row 3 (Im just putting this here because lots of people say Saints Row 3 I have never played any Saints Row games)
-Demon's Souls (If you like Dark Souls you may as well play this too! You may dislike some of the differences, though it is nice to appreciate how it has progressed. It is still full of great challenges and amazing locations).

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 19, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I plan to update the OP soon for New Year goodness as more solid release dates shake out.

For people who wanted WKC2 edit (crosspost from coupons):

Dr. E posted:

White Knight Chronicles II (PS3) $29

Cheapest it has ever been!

Harlock fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 19, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, despite being informed at length that it was the WORST THING EVER (lots of 30-40% review scores, too), I got a cheap copy of the Time Crisis: Razing Storm pack.

I'm struggling to find what's awful here. It's three full lightgun arcade ports (Razing Storm, Time Crisis 4 and Deadstorm Pirates), a sniping shooting gallery game and a lightgun/FPS hybrid - the latter being the weakest of the bunch, but still a bit of mindless gun fun.

So, five games (four short, one longer) for about £10 ($15) nowadays. I recommend it if you've got a Move or two and want to shoot stuff until it explodes.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 19, 2012

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Dominic White posted:

So, despite being informed at length that it was the WORST THING EVER (lots of 30-40% review scores, too), I got a cheap copy of the Time Crisis: Razing Storm pack.

I'm struggling to find what's awful here. It's three full lightgun arcade ports (Razing Storm, Time Crisis 4 and Deadstorm Pirates), a sniping shooting gallery game and a lightgun/FPS hybrid - the latter being the weakest of the bunch, but still a bit of mindless gun fun.

So, five games (four short, one longer) for about £10 ($15) nowadays. I recommend it if you've got a Move or two and want to shoot stuff until it explodes.

I never understood the hate. Deadstorm Pirates is some of the most fun I've had with a lightgun game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Agrias120 posted:

I never understood the hate. Deadstorm Pirates is some of the most fun I've had with a lightgun game.

Deadstorm Pirates is basically LA Machineguns, but with pirates. There's no reason why you should ever NOT be firing, but it's dumb fun and everything explodes all the time.

Takes a fair bit of practice to 1cc it, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So apparently Irrational Games has gone kind of strange in that they announced a new super hardcore mode for Bioshock Infinite entitled "1999 Mode."

quote:

BioShock Infinite’s 1999 Mode will feature an especially demanding gaming experience, forcing you to examine your decisions while going through your adventure in Columbia. With every choice you make, there are irreversible implications, and if your choices guide you down a path not suited to your play style, you will suffer for it.

It’s not simply a matter of adjusting the difficulty sliders in the game – the team went much further than that. Resource planning? If you’re to survive this mode, proper planning will be crucial. Combat specializations? You’ll need to develop them efficiently and effectively throughout the story; any weapon will be useless to you unless you have that specialization. Combat? You will need to carefully target every shot, and your health will be set to an entirely different baseline. Game saves? Well, yes, there will be those, but according to Irrational Games Creative Director Ken Levine “there are game saves, and you’re gonna f***ing need them.”

“We want to give our oldest and most committed fans an option to go back to our roots,” said Levine. “In 1999 Mode, gamers face more of the permanent consequences of their gameplay decisions. In BioShock Infinite, gamers will have to sweat out the results of their actions. In addition, 1999 Mode will demand that players pick specializations, and focus on them.”

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In other words, the enemies just do more damage and there are probably health packs. That announcement said a lot, without actually saying anything at all about what it really is. I doubt it's going to be anything but just a slight increase in difficulty.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I dunno why this hadn't occurred to me before, but is Bioshock Infinite free of vita-chambers or anything like that?

I never understood why vita-chambers were in Bioshock, without needing to find and activate them first, like in System Shock. In SS they were basically a slightly better save room from Metroid, but in BS they were just there to prevent death no matter what. I still think Bioshock is pretty awesome but I don't understand why they changed that one thing from the SS formula.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 19, 2012

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Less ammo and faster weapon degradation (if that's even in the game) as well. Don't forget that.

1999 is when System Shock 2 was released, so think of mechanics from that game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey remember those crazy Way of the Samurai games? Well the fourth one is coming overseas but only in Europe. Americans gotta import.

I've read that this one is a step back for the franchise but these games are still pretty fun. I was just about to drop cash on the Japanese version so I'm happy to see this.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As long as the framerate isn't garbage like WOTS3, which I thought reading in the import thread wasn't changed, I'll probably pick it up.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Policenaut posted:

Hey remember those crazy Way of the Samurai games? Well the fourth one is coming overseas but only in Europe. Americans gotta import.

I've read that this one is a step back for the franchise but these games are still pretty fun. I was just about to drop cash on the Japanese version so I'm happy to see this.

About goddamn time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

This is great news. A shame it won't be coming out in the US, though. I thought the 3rd one did pretty well over here. Still, if I have to import then so be it.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I had given up hope of an English release of WotS4 so this is pleasant news.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

After losing all of my saves when my old PS3 died, I'm going back through and beating Mass Effect 2 again so I have a good file to import into ME3. But I'm noticing the game stuttering and jittering a lot (especially if I turn a corner to find a cadre of enemies). Sometimes the music will cut out for a half second and then pick back up. Was it always like this? I remember the long load times from my first play through, but none of these jarring problems stuck out in my memory. I'm reinstalling the game data to see if that fixes anything, but I hope my HDD isn't dying or anything.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Is Resistance 3 tied into the plot of either of the first two games? I played them but didn't beat them, but running across the country in 3 sounds fun. Should I go back and finish the early ones, or is the latest more of a standalone?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I know this is totally unexpected, but apparently Resident Evil 6 is a thing, and it's coming out this year.

http://www.giantbomb.com/resident-evil-6-announcement-trailer/17-5564/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crowbear posted:

I know this is totally unexpected, but apparently Resident Evil 6 is a thing, and it's coming out this year.

Just saw this a few hours ago. Interesting news to say the least! I really liked RE5, so i'm looking forward to this.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Crowbear posted:

RE6: This time, they really ARE zombies!!!

Maybe it's just me, but this looks generic and dull as hell, especially compared with 4/5.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I platinumed Resident Evil 5 so really looking forward to 6. Been a good day for announcements, with RE6 and WotS4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This actually looked like most of the same from RE5, which has me excited. I liked RE5 the best.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

I said come in! posted:

This actually looked like most of the same from RE5, which has me excited. I liked RE5 the best.

I don't know, RE5 was pretty original with its setting at least. This looked like... well... Operation Racoon City. :confused:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Krad posted:

I don't know, RE5 was pretty original with its setting at least. This looked like... well... Operation Racoon City. :confused:
It's original for a PS3 setting after RE4/5. I'm looking forward to playing an RE in a western urban setting again, with the new style.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Krad posted:

RE6: This time, they really ARE zombies!!!

Maybe it's just me, but this looks generic and dull as hell, especially compared with 4/5.

I dunno man, I mean yeah it takes place in a city like 2, but it looks like a vastly different experience. Looks like four different characters, some sweet movement mechanics, brawling, and (this I don't like) cover shooter mechanics.

Also was that Ashley Graham with the bald guy? Makes sense, considering you shoot the president in the face.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Krad posted:

This is the first time i've heard of this game (Racoon City)! I've actually only ever played Resident Evil 1, 4 and 5.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
The trailer looks really good! I hope this game has co-op again. My wife and I had a bunch of fun playing RE5 together so that would be neat.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Well it's nice it's back in some city type place again. Both RE4 and RE5 fill the quota of being in somewhere different.

Nice to see Leon back in Action. Hope he still has his quirky remarks in cutscenes.

Chris.. eh not so much (he was just too serious all the drat time)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Haha, that's fantastic. I guess all those rumors of rebooting were over.

So it looks like there's (at least) 3 playable characters. I really hope it has CO-OP, since it looked like 3 separate stories going on at once. Main character + a guest? I wonder if the chapters are going to bounce around in chronological order or be self-contained.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Morpheus posted:

Looks like four different characters, some sweet movement mechanics, brawling, and (this I don't like) cover shooter mechanics.
Look on the bright side - it looks like enemies can actually pull you out of cover for once. That's certainly better than most.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, RE4 basically ruined the series for me, because Sci-Fi Original B-Movie is exactly the tone that it should strive for, and they just keep getting further away from that.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I don't see one and I think it deserves one, so I'm thinking of making a Binary Domain thread. Was anyone already working on one?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I don't see one and I think it deserves one, so I'm thinking of making a Binary Domain thread. Was anyone already working on one?

I would like you to make this thread. I pre-ordered it after just seeing the dramatic storyline trailer. I want to know more.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
So it looks like Zack Zero is actually getting good reviews, with an 81 average across 4 reviews on Metacritic and users there saying it's a great throwback platformer. I think I'll give it a purchase whenever the store goes back up (I'm on the Eastern time zone, so...midnight? I think?) and let people know if it is indeed worth your money.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Mug posted:

I would like you to make this thread. I pre-ordered it after just seeing the dramatic storyline trailer. I want to know more.

Well, I have made such hit threads as "Resonance of Fate", "Sakura Wars", and "Walk It Out"; so yes, I guess I make threads for games when absolutely no one else is going to.

Guess I'll get started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Well, I have made such hit threads as "Resonance of Fate", "Sakura Wars", and "Walk It Out"; so yes, I guess I make threads for games when absolutely no one else is going to.

Guess I'll get started.
Looking forward to your Hyperdimension Neptunia megathread.

• Locked thread