Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Unfortunately, Shin's suicide super is really awful because you can hit him out of the super long startup where he's walking away.

Plus it's HnK so having no stars and no life isn't really much worse than being at full anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

I must play this. I heard it was kinds bad, but it looks good and that is such an awesome/stupid mechanic I need to try it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V3O9dDj4Ck

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

what the gently caress happened in that match outside of the instant KO to make it the best match ever? Although round 2 was awesome in how he killed the guy right before the timer ran out.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Kenshiro has a move in the manga/anime where he presses two points on your head and tells you "you have 3 seconds to live". A the end of that timer, Rei would have been instantly KO'ed

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 19, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hokuto Zankaiken is the absolute worst move in the game and hitting with it at all was a huge fluke to begin with, so the fact that that happened combined with Rei still managing to pull out a win with 0.08 left was pretty hilarious.

It's "the best match ever" because poo poo like that just doesn't happen.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

I got will my parts from Gremlin and can also vouch for them.
It's two guys working out of a small room but somehow they manage to fill hundreds of orders a week and have awesome customer service. They even negotiated the price of their Qanba stick bag down from £75 to £35 simply because of customer feedback.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

MrJacobs posted:

I must play this. I heard it was kinds bad, but it looks good and that is such an awesome/stupid mechanic I need to try it now.
HnK is probably the best fighting game ever, super broken but still awesome

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The announcer hype of that match really makes it awesome.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Someone post a video of the basketball infinite, that poo poo's hilarious.

CrashTestVictim
Oct 2, 2003

...roink PERFECT.

The Rokstar posted:

Dunkuuu Receeebuu

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Can't believe I've never seen that Mr.Heart infinite before. Bet it's probably VS Rei only though, there are a bunch of infinites like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WurV1PEpg

Funny that Rei floats super high and has extra hitstun while crouching but he's STILL the best character in the game.

Not an infinite despite what the video says, but here's the hilarious Mr.Heart Tornado Loop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aabITs1wxB0

And just for completeness sake, here's his regular throw infinite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxI6lQs1_-0
(Which only works on certain characters, which varies depending on if you are Player 1 or Player 2, and also if you are playing the Arcade or Console version)

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 19, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
As a one-time serious HnK player who basketballed with the best of them, I have to say that it is fun as hell to play at any level. It's one of those games that's so utterly balls-to-the-walls broken that the game actually sort of balances it out when all is said and done, because everyone can kill everyone else in one hit. There are still tiers because some guys can kill people in one hit easier than others, but still. It is probably the only game where a dude with a skillset that's like Wesker's on steroids (high priority normals, multidirectional air/ground teleports, 1 frame physical/projectile counters, one touch kill combos off of jabs and throws and pretty much everything else) has someone above him on the tier list.

Somehow the game manages to stay fun as hell despite (or perhaps because of) this. The meatiness of the hit effects honestly gave me the feeling of "I'm beating the poo poo out of this dude" better than any fighting game I've played, and I've played a lot.

There's a ton of stuff implemented in the game that's pretty much there solely for the fans of the series, a lot of which directly affects the gameplay (Souther has a guard crush gauge against every character because he blocks everything with his chest. AN EMPEROR NEVER RETREATS) while some are purely fluff (Rei's fatal KO against Juda reenacts the actual scene from the manga, because that was when the technique was actually used). It gives the game a lot of character, which is something that I guess is only possible because it's based off a preexisting series with a ton of history.

It also has the best combo video ever.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Not an infinite despite what the video says, but here's the hilarious Mr.Heart Tornado Loop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aabITs1wxB0

Wasn't there a Sengoku Basara X infinite that looked almost identical to that?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PalmTreeFun posted:

Wasn't there a Sengoku Basara X infinite that looked almost identical to that?

Maybe you're thinking of this guy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZlKA3VJWTU

SBX and HnK have some similarities in their physics so there are a bunch of similar kind of back-and-forth across the screen wall bounce combos.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

SBX and HnK have some similarities in their physics so there are a bunch of similar kind of back-and-forth across the screen wall bounce combos.

Yeah, that was it I think. That's also the worst hitstun voice clip I've ever heard.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I love how Hideyoshi slides across the screen without even pretending to walk.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Jon Talbain for UMVC3. :shobon: Because werewolf Ruby Heart.

HnK looks fun, but drat do the characters fall quick after being launched. The mobility of the game is obviously nice, but juggling looks to be a pain.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Can't believe I've never seen that Mr.Heart infinite before. Bet it's probably VS Rei only though, there are a bunch of infinites like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WurV1PEpg

Funny that Rei floats super high and has extra hitstun while crouching but he's STILL the best character in the game.

I thought Toki was the best in the game by far cause he can land his fatal KO from pretty much any clean hit?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Sade posted:

I thought Toki was the best in the game by far cause he can land his fatal KO from pretty much any clean hit?

Most characters can combo in to their FKO as part of a BnB. Most characters can knock off stars in the same combo, too. Mr Heart can't tho.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zand posted:

Most characters can combo in to their FKO as part of a BnB. Most characters can knock off stars in the same combo, too. Mr Heart can't tho.

Yeah, everyone except Mr.Heart has practical 3-star into FKO combos. Some of them are harder or more expensive than others though.

Some characters have practical 4-star into FKO combos as well. :I

Sade posted:

Rei is ultimately the best because he has a really stupidly good set of normals/specials/super and he has the most practical infinite(s) of the whole cast. He did lose his DP infinite in the home version but that still didn't really hurt him much.

Toki is a pretty close second. His infinite is far less practical than Rei or Raoh's, but he's got really retardedly good pressure and mixups, and pretty much has the best throw in the game on top of that. Also has a really good set of specials and supers on top of everything else.

Basically to put it to you this way, Rei should win by only hitting you once. Toki might need to hit you twice.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sade posted:

That was only in the beginning of the game's lifetime. Research into the boost system made landing FKOs off a 3 star combo possible for pretty much every character except Mr. Heart, and only for him because his FKO is a grab. It's more a given than an advantage. Toki is still top tier, definitely, but he shares the position with Juda, Raoh, and Rei. Rei's generally agreed to be the easiest of the four to use, and his ability to easily convert nearly any hit (easier than the others, that is) to a 3 star or OTK combo generally puts him slightly ahead of the other three.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Looks like I've found my dream 2D fighter in HnK. Thanks, FG thread.

edit: There's a Tournament in Bradford in two weeks with a free SCV tourney if you're into that sort of thing. KOF13 is also included, they just haven't added it the website yet.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 20, 2012

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan

scuz posted:

20. I'm just too shy about getting obliterated by TC's Sassy to play and all I know how to do are IADs with Q-Bee.

21. Although I get my practice on the admittedly horrible DS3 for ps1. Might have to finally upgrade my PC or get a copy of Vampire collection and a thing to play it on

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I usually play Vampire Chronicles for Dreamcast. Mainly because it allows me and my friend to both play our favorite characters (who otherwise don't share a game). One of these days when I have downtime I'm gonna build a cab for it. Supposedly someones opening an arcade near me as well, and a place like that can always use a Vampire machine.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Chronicles is also my favorite, if only because I like to play Donovan.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

AnonSpore posted:

As a one-time serious HnK player who basketballed with the best of them, I have to say that it is fun as hell to play at any level. It's one of those games that's so utterly balls-to-the-walls broken that the game actually sort of balances it out when all is said and done, because everyone can kill everyone else in one hit. There are still tiers because some guys can kill people in one hit easier than others, but still. It is probably the only game where a dude with a skillset that's like Wesker's on steroids (high priority normals, multidirectional air/ground teleports, 1 frame physical/projectile counters, one touch kill combos off of jabs and throws and pretty much everything else) has someone above him on the tier list.

Sounds very much like the original Guilty Gear, before they made the instant kills more a liability than an asset.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fatal KOs are actually one of the best balanced aspects of HnK. Everyone can make pretty equal use out of them and they're pretty fair and well thought out.

HnK is also a LOT harder to really break than GG1. Every time I play HnK these days, I'm always amazed at how difficult it is.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think in SBX almost everyone of significance has wall to wall timeout infinites using the nerfed HnK boost OR space race infinites

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

AnonSpore posted:

There's a ton of stuff implemented in the game that's pretty much there solely for the fans of the series, a lot of which directly affects the gameplay (Souther has a guard crush gauge against every character because he blocks everything with his chest. AN EMPEROR NEVER RETREATS) while some are purely fluff (Rei's fatal KO against Juda reenacts the actual scene from the manga, because that was when the technique was actually used). It gives the game a lot of character, which is something that I guess is only possible because it's based off a preexisting series with a ton of history.

My favorite series-related gameplay quirk is that Kenshiro's Hokuto Zankaiken works on everyone BUT Souther because his heart is on the other side of his body or some poo poo.

I wonder if there's anyone that plays this online, since I think some NAOMI emulators can do netplay.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

dj_de posted:

I think in SBX almost everyone of significance has wall to wall timeout infinites using the nerfed HnK boost OR space race infinites

Yeah, pretty much. A fair number of them are escapable though, due to the assist-escape mechanic. But that of course becomes less and less viable the more of them you use.

And really it's not even a nerfed boost, it's just a graphical effect on certain moves that tries to make it look like boost. That's pretty much SBX in a nutshell though, trying very hard to be HnK and failing very badly.

yergacheffe posted:

I wonder if there's anyone that plays this online, since I think some NAOMI emulators can do netplay.

I can't imagine a more awful thing in the world than trying to play HnK Online.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

I love this show.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
And on the HnK topic, there's a gif of Gootecks doing the Hokuto Hyakuretsuken.

YOU ARE ALREADY BODIED

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Cizzo posted:

I love this show.

Get some loving sleep gootecks. You look like a loving zombie :sigh:.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
From a few months back this is the best hnk video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G88Dab0KZE&feature=player_profilepage

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The Rokstar posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbE3hZYbX2k#t=01m10s

:confused:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
HnK on min's skillionaire stream tonight!

starts...........sometime tonight
http://www.twitch.tv/min2012

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Free meter for Haz, really. (but obviously pointless/doesn't tech early enough to do anything etc)

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Why wouldn't you burst there? Did he think he was trying to bait it for 30 ticks? :psyduck:

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Bovineicide posted:

Why wouldn't you burst there? Did he think he was trying to bait it for 30 ticks? :psyduck:

He didn't have to burst, he could have just pressed any button to tech. They were just loving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Well, there's a lot of money burning a hole in my pocket right now, and I was thinking of buying an arcade stick and kind of settled on the Real Arcade Pro V3 SA by HORI which seems to have received great reviews. Still, I'd like to hear some more about the stick before I frivolously commit $150 on a video game implement instead of doing the human thing and giving it away so an African elementary school classroom can eat for a month. Is it a good idea stick to buy?

Edit: oh, and this may be a stupid loving question, but I'm not very hardware savvy: the stick is a PS3 accessory, but can it be used with my PC, too?

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 21, 2012

• Locked thread